Jump to content

centexhairysub

Members
  • Posts

    11,878
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by centexhairysub

  1. centexhairysub

    Two of Cups

    Was it just me or was Mr. Bob Luard a little more abrupt that he should have been? Hmmmm... Harold Briggs was a fount of information; not all of it relevant, but much of it was. I have to wonder if talking to Maurice's wife might uncover a new line of inquiry? There has to be a reason that Maurice never wanted them to get back into the well... Colin is continuing to be an issue; and sounds like he may become even more of one in the future. I really do love Cynthia; anyone that can quote Shelly has to be a truly superior person... Just so well written and flows so well; each chapter leading perfectly into the next...
  2. Ah, so it is a hunter, buy why work with someone like Stefano, wouldn't the hunters be against a shadow mage as well? The idea for the wedding is wonderful, can't wait for it. Love how easily Dirk is slipping into the job and community. Do hope that Fenn is able to set up the territory the way he wants it to work; and hope that he doesn't drive Tierney nuts trying to do so. Tierney back to his ferocious lady love, so nice... Great job, keep them coming...
  3. I have to agree with @drsawzall, I would think that after the initial issue with the hold, Vikkel will want to send someone out to make sure that the goats and kids are okay; doubt he is as worried about Jevikel and Kadin as the livestock but... Kemi snuck up on them without even really trying, think it would be easy for someone else to as well. Thread is getting closer, and things will get more dangerous for everyone...
  4. I want to thank everyone for their comments on this thread. After reading them all; I realize that part of the issue with my reviews is that I tend not to leave criticism in the actual review. Unless something is just truly egregious, I tend to only write what I like in the actual review and then give it a star rating based on how much I liked the story. I do use the recommend buttons as well, sometimes too liberally. Those authors that regularly have me read their works know that I tend to comment on each and every chapter of a story. Some of those comments are often more critical than anything in my reviews. I even had an author that I followed for a long time, pause a story over a very critical story comment; he sent me a pm for additional feedback because I made him question the whole direction of where he was going with the storyline. I honestly, never want to do that... I appreciate the time, energy, and giving of yourself that each author demonstrates when he/she post a story on here. The stories are their creations and good or bad; they should be appreciated for what they are, something the author is choosing to share with the rest of us. Thanks for all the feedback.
  5. Thank you for your responses to this thread. I had one author from GayAuthors and one from another site that uses a similar review system. Neither seemed concerned with what I wrote in the review but only that I did not give it five stars. My reading of their messages was that they were not concerned with my actual review but of the star ratings. Maybe I did not communicate that well enough in my original post; if so I apologize. I am unsure how to ask what your responses triggered in me, but here goes. Do you feel that every story deserves a five star rating and anything less has to have a delineation as to why it lost a star or two? Even if I enjoyed everything about a story, the plot, the writing, the characters, etc...; can it not still be only a four star just because that is what I felt after reading it? Do I have to explain why I felt that way? I am going to give an example, not sure it will help. I had an author on another site that wrote a story that I loved.... The character development, characters, and writing were first rate; there were a few issues with grammar and the author did meander a bit in a few chapters but I rated it five stars because I just loved the story. The author then got the book published and sold on Amazon, not sure of all the ends and out of that, but an editor was listed so I know he had gotten some professional help. The grammatical errors had been corrected and the meandering parts sharpened; but while the overall storyline was not changed when I bought the book on Amazon, I simply did not enjoy it as much. I have a four star review there. Because of the editor, the book was technically better than before; but I just did not get as much enjoyment from it, don't even know if I can explain why. When I left the four star review on Amazon, I talked about what I enjoyed in the book, I did nothing to indicate why I did not rate it five stars because I wanted to praise the author as this was his first published professional work. Should I have tried to explain why I give him only four stars and put something negative in what I wrote? I am not trying to be difficult, I guess I am just being dense about this; because I don't understand why I need to justify the star rating... @James K, please help me understand your point of view on this...
  6. centexhairysub

    Seven of Wands

    Loved this chapter; so much goin on. I do feel for Maurice and his wife both; that is so hard to deal with and while some are well meaning, many are just dismissive. I think the dream means a whole lot; a look at the past. Now if he can only figure out who he was representing in the dream...
  7. You have to rate using the star system to leave a review. I try and write and thoughtful opinion on the story that I have read. I can usually always find a few good things to mention and try and explain why I enjoyed the story or what I had an issue with in it. That said, I do understand that many that write on here do so because they enjoy; they are not professional writers and have no plans to become one. For me to rate something five stars means it is basically so good that it really cannot be improved on; or this is at least how I see it. Not just on this site but others as well; probably 85% of my reviews as far as the stars go are either three star or four star. It is rare for me to give anything five stars but it is also rare for me to give a one star or even a two star review but they do happen; and I always try to explain why I am giving that one or two star review. I think I have only ever given a one star review once on GayAuthors; and I explained that the subject matter was just so distasteful to me and the way the author glorified it was just not something I understood. My written reviews don't always wax poetically but I do try to point out what I liked or what I had issues with be it writing style, character development, plotting, or the flow to the story. Also, never understand how anyone can leave a review for a story before it is finished. How do you know you are going to like or dislike the whole thing. To get to the point you are making and that I agree with; neither author was upset by what I wrote, they both actually had no issues as my written words were vey complimentary. The issue they both had was I rated each of their stories four star versus five stars. I enjoyed both stories; one was one of the best I have read so far this year and the other was truly well done; but each had aspects that I though could have been improved on, hence my four star rating. I just feel the written part of the review should be more important than what star rating it is given. If other readers are to lazy to actually read the review; I see this as their issue not mine. Frankly, I agree with @Krista, I wish you could leave the review without using the the star rating at the top.
  8. Good character development and the plotting and writing flowed nicely as well. Nice take on the vampire genre, a few new twist. Enjoyable afternoon reading.
  9. Well written story, full of truly interesting and really well developed characters. Helps if you have read of some of Sojourn previously stories as a few of the characters are from earlier stories. This is a story about love and how we find it. The way we hunt for it; and how sometimes we refuse to recognize what is right in front of us or in unexpected places. Take a chance and sit a spell and enjoy this story...
  10. Hello, Just trying to get some feedback about this issue; I had an author write to me basically asking me not to review his stories if I was not giving them a five star review. He/She basically said that the readership of GayAuthors simply was unable or unwilling to read stories that did not have five star reviews. Do others believe this to be true? I personally rarely give a five star review. They are reserved for stories that I believe that their is basically nothing about the story that can be improved on to enhance the readers enjoyment of the story. I just find very few stories on either this site or authors that meet that criteria. By the same token, I give very few one or two star reviews. I can usually find enough about almost any story to justify at least a three star review. I have actually written very glowing reviews on a story but only given it three stars because while I have loved the story; either pacing or character development, or plotting, or something was off putting enough that I felt that while I truly enjoyed the story; it was either harder to read or stay with because of whatever the issue was. That doesn't mean others should not read it; and I encourage them to do so; but it means that it simply did not rate higher for me than three stars, even though I really enjoyed the story. Do others agree with this author? Should I not leave reviews unless I am willing to give five stars no matter what I think? I thought the reviews were about giving your honest opinion of the story; is that not why we leave them or read them? Should I stop leaving reviews unless the review is worthy of a five star rating?
  11. Stuerm did not put up as much of a fight as I had anticipated. Of course, with his beta missing and getting caught off guard maybe he simply had no chance to do so. Loved Vincent's time in London with the other three Alphas. And the interlude with Dave and Stacy was just ever so sweet. Vincent and Mason are just too sweet, almost needed a shot of insulin. Bravo, truly Bravo...
  12. centexhairysub

    Dilemmas

    Great chapter, have to wonder why Kemi doesn't reach the Weyr or why she doesn't start to it. Maybe she will be why they escape but it keeps her from doing so. Can't wait for the next update, just so well written.
  13. This was a beautifully written story. The characters were so well developed, all of them. The pacing and plotting were both first rate. It is a different type of story, and may not be everyone's cup of tea; but please do give it a try. I believe it will truly capture your heart as it did mine.
      • 3
      • Love
  14. OMG, this was the perfect ending. I just found this in my managed content. Have no idea why I never read the last chapter.
  15. Does anyone know what happened to the author Grumpy Bear? He was right in the middle of a story several months ago and said he was having to go to Florida for a few days on a trip and the next posting would be delayed. I do not know if the trip was business, pleasure, family issues, or what; but I do not think he has been on the site since. Does anyone know if something happened to him? Is he just taking a break? Or did he just disappear? Any information would be greatly appreciated...
  16. I am loving this story. I can see it going in so many directions. The writing and flow are both just excellent. Maybe Colin has stayed so long to try and hide what is in the well? I don't know if I see him as the kind of person to actually do something; seems to bitch more than any actual action. Don't get a feeling about Dan yet, just seems to be there, you know? Can't see what happens next.
  17. Well, I sense a real donnybrook come on... You never have the same person do an audit on the same person or company two years in a row. The second Delta is obviously stronger, but is it just physical strength and a better ability to fight; or is there something even more to him? Can't wait to see what happens next...
  18. centexhairysub

    In the Hills

    Great chapter, did sort of have a Brokeback Mountain flashback but... Jevikel thinks he has to take over because of tradition. Tradition can be a good thing; but it can also be suffocating. Kadin is educated in the old ways even more than Jevikel but doesn't seem to be entrenched in the idea of tradition. maybe because he was raised outside of a hold. In general, the holds appear to be the most backward areas on Pern. Wonder if they will be caught by someone on the mountain, or get close and get back to the hold and not stay vigilant...
  19. centexhairysub

    Seven of Cups

    Terry doesn't seem to realize the danger he could be walking into; I do wish he would take Cynthia a little more seriously on that point. At least he realizes that while the drowsing may have uncovered the site of the well; what he felt before and even then was more than likely either a body or a spirit connected to the body in the well. Is the dream that Terry had connected to the actual past and the possible body; or is it just because of all the thoughts and feeling that he is building up in himself because of this hunt for the truth? Truly well written and the pacing and plotting just keep getting better and better. Can't wait to see what is next.
  20. A truly interesting story. Good pacing and an unique take on an old Greek tale. Worth the read, short and flows well except one chapter.
  21. Overcoming a God's plotting is never easy; at least forgetting the white sail was not a fatal mistake.
  22. Never will he be able to gift his virginity to one worthy of it.
  23. centexhairysub

    Poseidon's Game

    Typical God like behavior. But also a gift of dreams remembered.
  24. centexhairysub

    Departure

    Ah, but the Gods are fickle, sure to be something bad on the horizon. Did they remember the white sail?
×
×
  • Create New...