Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,016 Words
  • 1,919 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 19. Chapter 19

“Yes, I wonder what he wanted. Father over here.”

“Kevin, Glen, just the men I wanted to see. I or we have a problem. It seems that the girls really enjoyed the week-end without the boys. From what Sister Ann said, they, the girls, said it was like it use to be, they could have their night time parties without the fear that the boys would see them. I guess they use to have pajama parties on the week-end.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“Sister Ann was wondering if the boys could stay with you till school starts in the fall. It would only be a few weeks.”

“Well, we’d need papers giving us the authority to treat them in medical situations should one rise, and some form of guardianship. I don't think Glen and I would want to be in any legal problems as a result of this. And yes, it would be fine.”

“Good, just in case you would say yes, here are the papers. The Child Service representative, had copies of papers for Sister Ann to sign and I countered sign as a Diocese representative.”

I looked at the papers, I saw Grace’s signature where the Child Service rep was to sign. “Okay, when do we pickup the kids?”

“Follow me”

We drove back to the orphanage, Father Damian went into the building, we waited outside. I wasn’t paying attention when I heard ‘Pappy’ I looked and there was Adam running toward me. I scooped him up and got a very wet kiss. “I’m going to live with you, Pappy.”

I whispered, “Don’t you want to say hello to someone else” He looked around and then he say Glen, putting out his arms, Glen took him, I laughed another wet kiss.

“Daddy, I’m going to live with you and Pappy.”

The other boys came with their suitcases, were they sad? No way, the smiles and hugs that followed said everything was as it should be. I was certain that after the wedding and before summer was over, these boys would have Glen and my last name.

Putting the suitcases in the trunk, the boys got into the car, Glen was going to drive. Before I got in, Sister Ann and Father Damian came out to say good bye. I noticed that Sister Ann was all smiles. I said goodbye, shaking Father’s hand, got in the car and we left. Want to guess who rode the middle seat in the front.

“Glen, we need to tell the cooks we have guests for dinner.” I called home, Nicky answered, “Nicky, make sure the cooks cook extra we have five guests coming for dinner. …. We are on our way and should be home in thirty minutes…okay, bye. He’ll tell the chefs, whoever is cooking today.”

Pulling into the drive way, Adam was getting excited, “Pappy, we’re home.”

“Yes, Adam we’re home and I smell something good for dinner. Are you hungry?”

Walking into the kitchen, there was Scott and Travis, chefs of the day. “What smells so good?”

“It’s stew, Scott found a recipe and it look good so we decided to make it.

“Well, if the smell is any idea of how good it’ll taste, then it’ll be fantastic.”

Then we heard, “Peter”

“Someone is looking for Peter, do you know where he is?”

“I think he’s in his room, He took a book and he has discovered that laying in bed and reading is quite comfortable.”

“Adam, let’s go and find Peter”

I took Adam upstairs and opened Peter’s door as soon as he saw Peter, he ran yelling, “Peter”. Peter looked, put his book down and picked up Adam, I closed the door and went back downstairs.

“You didn’t change.” I looked and laughed. Taking Glen’s hand, I went back upstairs. “I wanted to get Adam and Peter together I forgot to change. Anyway it’s more fun to change with you.”

“You naughty boy”

“Tomorrow let’s take the boys shopping for birthday gifts. I need to order my office furniture as well. After dinner, let’s take a walk and check it out.”

 

“Let’s go” Glen and I walked to my new office. “This looks like a cabin, a rustic look but it does blend in with the garage.”

Walking in they did provided a vestibule before the main room. It was bigger than my office at work. “I think this will be nice when it’s furnished.”

“Kev, I want something of me here, let me furnish your office. On my lunch hour I’ll check around and see what's available. Then every time you come in here, you’ll think of me.”

I thought that was a nice idea. I agreed to let him do it if I could put a sign on the wall, Furnished by Glen. He laughed and thought it was silly but didn’t say no. I need to get Scott to make some paintings for the vestibule and my office.

“Let’s take a look at the bedroom.” This meant we had to walk back to the house, while holding hands which was nice. The bedroom wasn’t finished, the bathroom was the hold up. “I’ll talk to John Adams and see what’s the problem. There may be alternatives that could solve the issue.”

 

For some reason I was up at five and Glen was awake as well. “I think we need to hustle this morning before all of the boys are up.”

We did and following our routine we were just finished showering when we heard Nicky telling the guys that they can’t start anything till he explains it to them. We poke our head in the work out room and I heard “Pappy” I smiled and waved. He was on a walking machine at a slow pace. But in his mind, he was one of the boys working out.

We quickly dressed, fixed our coffee and was ready to leave when we heard, “Can we go crabbing today?”

“Yes, as long as Scott, Andy or Nicky is with you.”

On the drive to work we discussed Nicky’s birthday. “We get married this Wednesday and then there’s Nicky’s birthday on the following Monday and two weeks later it is Jamie’s birthday. Is the calendar completed?”

“I have to put the boys from the orphanage on it. We have to plan on trips for the boys to buy their gifts.”

“Let’s take a look at the calendar when you have it updated and see what we can manage to make sure everyone’s birthday is celebrated.”

“Have you given any idea how we’re going to get Nicky’s car home.”

“Let Dad drive it home. He can leave his car here and one of us can drive it home.”

“I’ll drive him over and he can meet Pete and the gang. Who knows he might want to buy one for himself.”

“He’ll have a heart attack when he sees the sales price. You’re going to have to tell him you got it wholesale.”

“No, I’ll tell him how I got it and why I paid what I did.”

     

Marge was in her usually good mood, she handed us our coffee and breakfast sandwich. “Here, give this to that young man behind you.”

I turned and there was Terry all smiles. “Well, you look very happy. Is it the job or something else?” Glen chuckled.

“I think you know it isn’t the job. I had a fantastic fish dinner last night. She said you provided the fish and it was just caught last week-end. I didn’t know you fished.”

Marge chuckled, I looked at her. “You’ve been chatting with Stella.”

“Yes, and she is overjoyed. Wait till you go there for lunch.”

Terry looked confused, “Marge and Stella are related. There are no secrets between those two, but you couldn’t meet better people.”

Glen left with a kiss for me, “Let’s go and start on the 2nd floor.” That’s what we did and then to the office, saying good morning to Bess, we started the day.

Bess asked if we wanted coffee, I said we’d get it but thanks for asking. Terry looked at me, “She isn’t paid to wait on me, I can get my own coffee. If I have visitors then I’ll ask her to bring coffee, but that’s the only time.”

We took a break at ten thirty and I did go and get myself a cup of coffee, Terry followed. I looked at the transactions left from this mornings pick-up and we only had seven to go. “Let’s finish these up and then go to lunch, on the way back we’ll pick up this morning’s transactions and get a start on tomorrow.”

Walking to lunch, we stopped and picked up Glen. “I talked to Dad about the car, he said he’d be glad to do it.”

“Good”

Walking into Stella’s was like being royalty. She was all smiles, said hello to us all and a special wink for Terry. Amy was there to show us to our table, well she was there to show Terry to our table. First time a waitress took a client by the hand to show him to a table. I looked at Glen, he smiled. “I’ve never had such better service in any restaurant I’ve been in. A lovely waitress who takes you by the hand to your table and smiles so sweetly.” Terry blushed.

We placed our orders and listened while Amy and Terry chatted. Terry was invited to dinner tonight, they thought that Terry might give Amy a tour of the University and they had fun last night. Glen was smiling as if to say, a job well done by this match maker.

Glen and I talked about the wedding and fishing later that day. We talked about taking the dads out again but I didn’t think we should do it so soon. Diana will be back for the wedding and I’m not sure what’s happening with Harry.

“Diana said she was going to arrange an expo of the boys paintings at a gallery she knows. I think she’s planning on taking at least Travis back with her.”

“Is she going to ask Scott to go back as well?”

“I’d say yes but I’m not sure if Scott would want to go.”

“He should go for two reasons, the most important being that some of his paintings will be displayed and probably with price tags and it’ll give him a chance to see other paintings and how a gallery showing works.”

“I think we should let him make the decision and support that decision. But, I think he’s good and should go.”

“Mom sent these” I laughed, every time we do something that Stella likes we get something extra, this time it’s strudel.

We went to pay our bill, Stella was smiling. “He’s such a nice young boy.”

“Yes, and smart also. I think he may like Amy, they’re going out tonight.” Stella was very happy to hear that. I knew what she was thinking, what should I prepare for dinner. You could almost see the wheels turning in her head.

We paid our tab and headed back to work. “Kevin, wait for me.” I looked at Glen and smiled as we watched Terry. “Here. Stella said you paid too much.”

I was confused, I paid for all three of us, as usual. “How did I pay too much?”

“You paid for mine. She doesn’t charge me for my lunch.” That set Glen off, I started to laugh as well. “What’s so funny?”

“Terry, Stella thinks you’re a very fine young man who she would like to see Amy become interested in, in a romantic sense. I agree with her, Amy is a fine young lady and you could do no worse. We’re pulling for you as well, only we don’t cook. You’ll have to tell us what dinner is tonight.”

“You know she invited me to dinner tonight?”

“Yes, she is easy to read once you get to know her.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 9
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great that the kids join the family, crazy question why was this chapter duplicated one after the other, another awesome chapter

  • Like 3
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great that the kids join the family, crazy question why was this chapter duplicated one after the other, another awesome chapter

I hadn't realized that I posted the same chapter twice. I have since corrected that

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, CLJobe said:

Sorry about the way this chapter got separated. I just hoped that everyone scrolled to the second part. Once I post a chapter. it is out there. 

The two parts are the same thing.  The bottom part is not a different part of the story.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

When I posted the chapter I hadn't realized that I had done it twice. I've corrected it 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

The two parts are the same thing.  The bottom part is not a different part of the story.

 

You're right. When I went to proof it, I couldn't find it ergo twice posted. I've corrected it, thanks for the heads up

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..