Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,062 Words
  • 1,904 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 9. Chapter 9

Lunch time, Glen showed up with sandwiches and buns. We shared with Bess and Lou. “Let’s go, we have a lot of things to take care of this afternoon.”

First stop was at Jim’s store. There we got Travis all outfitted include crab lines. Then on to the car dealership, “Anyone here?”

“Hi Kevin, we where in the back looking over a beautiful car”

“Hi Pete, this is Glen, my partner and this is Travis, a new fisherman. Let’s see this beauty.”

Walking back into the garage, I spotted it right away, and it was a beauty. “Kevin, are you sure about this? Have you looked at the sticker price? This is too much to pay for a birthday gift.”

“It isn’t it’s for my first mate. Pete here’s a check and my insurance information, I’ll pick it up next Tuesday. Alex said you have a salesman, where is he?”

“He’s the one removing the sticker. He just started this week.”

“What do you offer as a commission on new car sales?”

“On this car his commission would be two hundred fifty dollars.”

“He does draw a regular salary as well, doesn’t he?”

“Yes, of course”

“Okay, here’s a check for two hundred fifty, his commission.”

“Wait, Evan, you got a minute?”

Evan came over, “Yes sir, how may I help you.”

Pete started to laugh, “Evan, meet Kevin and Glen, Kevin is part owner of this dealership. He’s the guy buying that car and he insisted you get the commission.”

Evan couldn’t say enough, “The car is a beauty, you’ll be very happy with it.”

He went on and on. You could tell he had practiced the sales spiel and of course, he was talking to one of the owners. Travis was busy looking over the cars. “Got to go Pete, I’m still working for a living. Tell Alex I said hello and good luck Evan.”

     

Driving back to the office, I let Glen park the car, Travis went with him, I went back to work. “Kevin, Mr. Donaldson called and asked that you stop up before leaving.”

When the bosses call, you go. I quickly finished up for the day and headed upstairs. “Ann, the boss wanted to see me?”

“Yes, Kevin, go right in.”

I knocked on the door, “You wanted to see me Mr. Donaldson?”

“Yes, Kevin, come in. I take it you have met Travis. What do you think?”

Now I was in an uneasy spot, his father was a friend of the boss, do I tell him what I really think or do I play it differently. “I think he’s a very sensitive young man who is more of a mother’s boy than a father’s son. He feels he disappoints his father which adversely effects his own perception of himself. He’s a very sensitive young man.” I thought if Donaldson didn’t like what I said that was his problem.

“You’re right about the boy. His dad continuously puts the boy down. He refers to him as a sissy, mother’s boy. His dad is a braggart, his manly pursuits are hunting and of course his son does not like hunting. The boy evidently can’t do anything right. Are you surprised?”

“Yes, I am. He’s your friend and I was afraid you wouldn't like my appraisal.”

“He’s a golfing friend and personally, if we could find a fourth, he would be gone. But he’s a fair golfer and is available. I think I’m right by putting him in your hands. His mother will support him.”

Driving home, he was full of questions, I knew that Glen had told him about the boat and the boys. Pulling into the garage, I saw Nicky had the truck ready. The boys where dressed ready to go. I introduced Travis to the boys, “Scott, could you take Travis to your room to change.” Glen looked at me, I smiled. I knew he’d see Scott’s easel and possibly a canvas on it.

They returned, talking a mile a minute. Travis had a smile on his face. Scott stopped and showed him the painting over the fireplace. I heard, “This is our boat, The Peter Charles. I want to paint the Scuffy, our original boat but I need to look at some pictures. Dad, did you know that Travis likes to paint as well?”

“Yes, I believe that came up in our discussions. If everyone is ready, let’s go fishing.”

Peter climbed on my shoulders and we walked to the boat while Nicky drove the truck. Nicky was quite proud of himself, he passed his tests and now, along with Jamie, has his license. I thought with the two of them, Glen and my driving days may be over. “Glen, we need that birthday calendar.”

Arriving at the boat, Nicky, Scott and Travis headed to Chicken Shack, Glen and I carried the chests on board including the crab chests. Peter was excited to show us that the chests were full, What he didn’t show us was that the lobster hold had crabs in it. He just laughed when I asked him what kind of lobsters they were. “Dad, those are crabs, we needed more containers so we dumped one of the chests in the hold. You aren’t mad are you?”

“No, of course not. That was a good idea.” We unloaded the food from the chests, plugged the chests in to the DC system. I went and checked on the fuel and water levels, I was anxious to get sailing. After this week with the adoption and the issues with the FBI, I was ready for a relaxing fishing week-end.

I went to the bridge and watched the boys returning from Chicken Shack. You would think they were long time friends, even Nicky was talking a mile a minute. I blew the horn, now they started to jog as I saw Jamie head towards them to help followed by Sammy.

When all of the boys were aboard, I had marked the chart, although I needn’t do that anymore, Nicky knew what they overall plan was so he could do it. I stood at the top of the stairs to the bridge, “Charles, Johnny, anchors up. Jamie, bow lines, Andy, stern lines, let’s shove off.” I watched as the boys took off. In less than five minutes, we were underway.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. It looks like Travis is going to fit in well with the boys on the fishing trip, they have alot in common.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Travis couldn't be in a better place. Wonder if things will come to a head with his Sperm Donor?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Will Travis Dad find out Kevin and Glen are gay? How will Mr macho react if he does.

 

He will eventually, and he probably won't like it

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. It looks like Travis is going to fit in well with the boys on the fishing trip, they have alot in common.

It looks he and Scotty will be buds

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Buz said:

Travis couldn't be in a better place. Wonder if things will come to a head with his Sperm Donor?

Only if he meets Kev and Glen.  He is so macho, one must wonder about him.

  • Like 1
  • Angry 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, Nicky is going to be really surprised come his birthday, 

Yes, he will. Who wouldn't. He's being spoiled by Kev and Glen

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It always makes me feel good when I see another chapter has posted! It seems Travis has fit right in! Thanks. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..