Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,287 Words
  • 1,898 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 35. Chapter 35

Changed, we walked back to the boat the same way. Nicky was at the dock in his car, I waved to Scott, said something to him and they both took off. I went and called Glen to tell him we were all at the boat. “Dad, Tony is here.”

I waved him aboard. “Kev, take your boat to the yard, I have a refrigerator from one of the other boats I think it’ll fit, the owner wants hundred for it.”

“Okay, I’ll meet you there. Any of you boys want to go for a short boat ride?”

“No, we’re crabbing.” So says the Crab Master

I started the motors, “I’ll go with you Dad.”

“Okay Charles, get the boys to take the lines in then hop aboard and raise the anchor.” It was interesting to hear Charles, ‘lines in, anchor up.’

“Charles, come to the bridge.” I was hoping to train Charles on being another pilot. I like his no-nonsense style.

“Charles, it’s about time you learn how to pilot this boat.”

He was all smiles. I started him as I did Nicky, first reading the charts. Charles was a bright young man, I didn’t give him full credit. I knew he was smart, his school grades showed that, but it was more, maybe it was intelligence. Explain it once, he had it. By the time we reached the ship yard, he understood the maps.

I pulled into the shipyard’s docks, Charles was gone, anchor aweigh, bow lines on, stern lines on, the kid was a one man crew. I saw Tony talking to him. Tony was laughing as he came on board. “I offered him a job, he said he had a job, working for you. The kid is sharp.”

“He is and he’ll be piloting this boat by the time we head for dry dock. I have a list of modifications for you when we do bring her in.”

“Good, I always need winter work, it get’s really busy as they bring the boats in and then it gets real quiet. I’ll show you the refrigerator. I’m still looking for a freezer.”

The refrigerator was the same size as what I had. I agreed to have him install it, paid for the fridge and paid him for the installation. “Give me a few minutes and you can take it with you.”

“Installed”

Laughing, “Yes, installed.”

Charles and I walked around the boat yard, while Tony took care of my boat. “Charles, do you see any boats you would like to own someday?”

“The only boat I’d want we have already, The Peter Charles.” I laughed as I gave him a hug. He’ll have that boat and I’ll be like Uncle. A shiver ran though me as I thought that.

 

“It’s installed, works fine. I’ll let you know if I run across a freezer.”

“If you don’t have one by the time she comes in for the winter, buy one and install it.”

I let Charles steer the boat back to our dock, except when we were close, he went to drop the anchor and tie the lines. I met him on the bow, “You did great for the first time. I’d say by the this time next month you’ll be able to handle her like a pro.”

He smiled as I put my arm around his shoulder, walking to the crabbers. “Scott, a refrigerator has been installed in the Captain’s cabin. It’s cooling now, so by time we leave, it’ll be ready to use.”

I yelled I’m going for a beer, anyone else. Several were about to get up, but the Crab Master said we don’t want any thanks. I don’t think the boys liked that. “Charles, take a few boys and get them a bottle of beer from the boat. Then come and join me at the Wharf.”

That seemed to appease the boys. Walking into the Wharf, “Back so soon? We saw you go out.”

“Yes, the fish literally jumped into my hold. The mermaids helped.”

Charles came in, I waved him over to the table with the captains, I signaled Barney for drinks all around. Gus in his ornery state, “He can’t sit here, this is for Captains only.”

“How about if he buys you a drink?”

Smiling, “Okay” I think that is the first time I’ve ever seen Gus smile.

“Better leave a space for him, in a few years he’ll be the captain of The Peter Charles.” Uncle looked at me, I nodded yes. I knew what he was thinking, another Kevin. We drank our beer, I ordered another round for the Captains, paid Barney and left. Steve would work till we were ready to leave.

I watched the boys crabbing, soon I was helping Adam and my captain was sitting next to me, helping Frankie. Tommy was sitting on one side of me, he was doing pretty well. I think he had the biggest crab, Peter was smiling while patting him on the back. I leaned over and gave him a kiss on his head, He leaned into me and got a hug.

I realized then, that adopting boys involves more than a name, they need your attention and physical endorsement of your love for them. A touch, a hug, roughing their hair, were ways for them to know you love them and you are there for them. Glen and I needed to do more of that. We needed to spend some time with each of them, one on one.

“Pop is here” I looked and there was Glen with the truck and the chests. We unload the chests to the boat. Glen took the small chests from the inside of the truck.

“Charles, those two chests are for your shrimp and lobster. See if you can find space on the stern for them. I’ll bring a line to connect them.”

He smiled as he got Johnathan to help carry a chest to the stern. Joseph and David saw that and carried the other chest. Empty they were light, but full I’m not sure the boys could handle it. We’ll see when we come back. With the other chests on the boat, Scott and Travis got busy unloading them.

Walking into the galley, “What is this?”

“That’s for the fridge in your cabin” I helped to carry it down, Tony did a good job installing it.

Noise level went up, the boys brought the crab buckets on board, they were ready to go fishing now. I watched as Scott or Travis gave packages to the boys to take to the fridge in my quarters. “Dad, there is a guy here with spaghetti for us.” I walked out on the bow, this guy was a kid. “Can you bring it aboard?” The kid was all smiles. as he was leaving, I gave him a tip, Nicky and Jamie were walking toward the boat. They stopped and talked to the kid. Laughing, they did the hand bump with the fist.

“What was Vinni doing here?”

“He delivered tonights dinner.”

“He’s a nice kid, if you need an extra hand, you need to talk to his dad, he owns the pizza store.”

“Nicky, I want you to train Charles to pilot the boat. I let him steer on the way back from the boat yard today, he did a great job.”

“Okay, you know I’ll still be around for some week-ends and the summer.”

“We may need several pilots for next summer.”

“Why, what’s special about next summer?”

“We have an intern at work, he’s a student, needs the money, he’ll work the summer months while I cruise.”

“You’re counting us in, aren’t you?”

“If you both are available”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 14
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

You gotta hire Vinni his dad owns the pizza place I can see that coming in handy.

 

Vinni will make a few trips, now if we can get his dad on one of the dad's trips. that might  be the key

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Another great chapter in the lives of our boys.

Thanks. 😀

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great forward planning, Charles would be a great captain

He's a very  serious young man. Smart, has a cute girlfriend and is muched loved by Kev and Glen. I'm sure he is a Kevin in the making.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..