Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,086 Words
  • 2,510 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 1. Chapter 1

“Is she ready to sail?”

“Yep, you’ll have to clean her and put sheets on the beds, but she’s yours. You need to get fuel and water.”

“Boys, want to go for a ride?”

“Wait” I watched as Nicky took over. “Get your lines in, any crabs, put them in the ice chests, then put them on the boat. Jamie, you and Scott put the wagon on as well.”

Tony looked, “That’s my helmsman and first mate. Do you need a ride home?”

“Yes, and maybe a few crabs as well.”

“Nicky, we need to go and get fuel and water, then we’ll take Tony home. Tony, give Nicky the coordinates for your home.”As soon as Nicky started the motor, he blew the horn, this time it wasn’t just a toot.

Approaching the fuel depot, he blew the horn again. I saw Alex and Dean coming out of the office. “Are you guys just going to stand there or are you going to sell me fuel and water.”

“Is this you new boat?”

“Yes, I need fuel and water.”

“Dean, start filling them, I need to check out this boat.”

“Andy, give Alex the tour. Jamie, show Dean the ports for fuel and water.”

The boys were happy, they knew that fishing was back on. I don’t think anyone was more happier than Kev. With the boat’s fuel and water tanks full, Nicky was given the go ahead to take Tony home. This would take hardly any time but this little jaunt will confirmed to the boys that fishing is back on.

Returning to the dock, securing the boat, the boys returned to crabbing. But their attitude changed, no more long faces, now smiles with shining eyes. “Dad, look” Within a few minutes they had one chest full. The other full chest they gave to Tony. They had one more chest to fill.

“As soon as you fill that chest, we can take them to the Wharf for dinner.”

I don’t know if the boys were hungry or the crabs were hungry, it didn’t take long with seven boys and Glen to fill the empty chest. Loading it on the wagon, Glen pulled it, Peter rode on my shoulders. The boys took the chest back to Mary. Peter, Glen and I sat at a table as far away from the Captains’ table as possible. Uncle looked over, I gave him the thumbs up. He got up from the table and walked out. I knew where he was going.

“Dad, where is Granddad going?”

“Why don’t you go and see?” I watched as Peter took off after Uncle. I smiled at Glen,

“What do you think he’s going to say?”

“I don’t know, I do know he’s going to be impressed.”

“Do you think he’ll say anything to the rest?”

“Possibly, but no one will board it, I set the alarms.”

“What alarms? I didn’t know there were alarms.”

“Yes, if you open the door to the cabin, an alarm will go off. And if you climb the ladder to the bridge, an alarm will go off. I’m not taking any chance.”

Peter came in and ran to me, he climb onto my lap. He whispered. “Granddad said he thought it was a nice boat. He said something else but I didn’t understand, he said it was pirate talk. What’s pirate talk?”

“It’s the way old captains use to speak to the crew. Remember when Granddad called us landlubbers, that’s pirate talk.”

Glen nudge me, I looked at the Captains’ table. They all got up and headed out to the dock. “Guess they’re planning on inspecting the boat.” Just as I said that I heard the alarm. Glen and I went outside and saw Uncle closing the door to the cabin.

I walked over, “I forgot to tell you, the Peter Charles has alarms, I’m not taking a chance that this boat will be sabotaged.”

Uncle was laughing, the one captain that I didn’t like, “How much did this cost you?”

I wasn’t going to tell him what I paid for it, “This boat costs more than you make in a year. Think above 150,000 dollars.”

He looked at me, “Where did you get that kind of money?”

“Do you know what I do for a living?”

Uncle leaned over and whispered in his ear. “If that is true, why is he fishing? He doesn’t need the money.”

Andy and Jamie heard him, “We fish for fun.”

“Let’s go guys, our dinner is probably ready.” Walking into the Wharf, Barney was eating crabs. When the guys saw that, they headed for our table, Andy headed for the kitchen. What we didn’t eat, we gave to the Captain’s table. Saying goodbye, we headed home. “Glen, get the boys settled, I’m going to go and wait for our guest.”

Glen had the boys carry the extra sleeping bags to the rec room. I went and sat in a corner so I could watch the door. As the sun set, the room became darker. The only light was through the window in the door. I must have drifted off when the creaking of the door woke me. As I looked a small lad entered and moved to the rags. He lit a candle, took out what appeared to be a moldy sandwich. He picked off the mold and was ready to take a bite.

Moving in front of the door, “Don’t eat that, you’ll get sick.”

The kid jumped and ran toward the door where he met me. “Please don’t hit me, I’ll leave.”

“I’m not going to hit you and you’ll leave by coming with me. You need better food than a moldy sandwich. I’m not going to hurt you, after you eat if you want to leave that will be up to you.”

The kid was afraid, who wouldn’t be. I lead him to the house, “Wash your hands here, take off your coat and wash up to your elbows.”

Glen heard the water and came into the laundry room, “Hi, who do we have here?”

The boy was silent, “What’s your name, what do people call you?”

“They call me Rabbit.”

“Okay Rabbit, as soon as your hands are clean, Glen and I will fix you something to eat.” I gave him a towel to dry his hands. I steered him to the kitchen. Glen had soup on the stove, I fixed him a sandwich and started to make a cup of hot chocolate. “Sit there”

Glen sat the soup in front of him, he took the spoon and began to eat, the soup was going fast. I sat the sandwich on a plate in front of him. Glen sat the cup of hot chocolate at his plate. I looked at Glen, he had tears in his eyes. When Rabbit was finishing eating, “Are you still hungry?”

“No, thank you”

“How about taking a shower while we find clothes that will fit you. Then I’ll wash your clothes.” Opening the rec room door, “Peter, can you come here please.”

“Yes, Dad”

“This is Rabbit, he needs to take a shower, can you help him by showing him where he can shower. Make sure he has a clean towel and bring his clothes down, so we can wash them. Rabbit, wrap the towel around you while I find some clothes for you.”

We listen to Peter chatting as he led Rabbit upstairs to the bathroom. “Glen, what do you think, Peter’s clothes would be too tight and Charles’s will be too loose.”

“Let’s go with Charles’s, if they are baggy, they will just have to be baggy till his clothes are dried.”

“Charles, can we see you for a minute. Charles, we have a new boy who needs clothes, do you have any that might be tight on you?”

“I have those sweats you first bought me.”

“Good, could you get them for me.”

I got one of my T-shirts and figured that would be okay. I cleaned his tennis shoes the best I could. They would have to do. We waited till he came down from taking a shower. He was crying, “What’s the matter, Rabbit?”

“I thought you were going to make me have sex with you. Peter told me about the fishing and how much fun the boys have. Can I be one of the boys?”

“Yes, but Rabbit I need to know more about you, here go and put these on. Peter take him to your room to let him dress.”

I looked at Glen, he nodded. Rabbit came down dressed. “Rabbit, we need to talk and then we have a surprise for you. What’s your name?”

“I think my latest name was Ronald Smithers.”

“What do you mean you think your latest name is Ronald Smithers?”

“I had an accident and I was in the hospital for a long time. When I was about to be released these men came and said my name was Ronald Smithers and they were going to take me home. I was taking to this house where a woman and man lived. They said they were my parens and were glad I was home. I lived with them for five years, one morning I woke up and no one was home. I packed my lunch and left for school. When I got home, there were men, moving the furniture from our home, checking after they left, the house was empty. That was when I started to walk. I saw that your home was empty and made my way to the room where you caught me.”

I looked at Glen, “Ronald, we want you to stay here. I’ll do all I can to find your parents.”

“Nicky, we have a new brother for you.” Nicky came up but not alone. “Nicky, this is Ron who’ll be staying with us. Take him to the rec rom and introduce him around.”

As they descended to the rec room, we heard, “Do you like fishing? Wait till you see our boat.” That was all we heard.

“I think he’ll be okay. The kids will make sure.” “Glen, I’m going to call Bob. This doesn’t sound right. Why would two men pick up a kid who had lost his memory?”

I called Bob and explained the situation to him. He said he’d check the name and hospital records.

“I think we’ll take Ron with us tomorrow. I’ll do some of the checking and get Stewart on the possibility of being foster parents. He needs some better fitting clothes as well as fishing gear.”

We were sitting in the living room watching TV when there was a knock on the door. “Hi Bob, come on in. Want a beer?”

Laughing, “Here, you and Glen need to sign here.”

“What are these?”

“Papers appointing you and Glen as foster parents for a child known as Ronald Smithers.”

“That was fast’ He pointed to the authorization. “That’s your wife, she works for Child Services?”

“Yes, aren’t you the lucky ones. I need a sample of his saliva for a DNA check.” ]

“I’ll get him”

“Ron, this is Jamie’s dad. He needs a swab from your mouth. We’re going check your DNA to see if we can trace your parents. Okay?” I watched as Bob took the swab.

“Thanks Ron for being so cooperative, we’re taking you shopping tomorrow” Glen started to laugh. “He thinks this is funny because we leave at seven after our five-thirty work out.”

Bob laughed as he took the swabs and left.

“Ron, Glen and I have been approved as your foster parents.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means we’re responsible for you. It’s much like being a mom and dad only in our case it’s two dads.”

Monday morning, as usual without clothes, Glen and I headed for the work out room. The boys woke up, Ron as well. I’m not sure what Ron thought as the boys pushed him into the work out room. Glen and I went ahead with our workout, the boys took over helping Ron.

Shower’s finished, Glen and I went to get ready for work. Glen went and got Ron ready, “Ron, here are your clothes, washed and dried. You can wear these or the clothes you had on last night.” Glen held up the clothes I washed last night, Ron selected his own clothes. Glen poured the orange juice, I fixed coffee for Glen and I.

“Let’s go or we’ll be late.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 12
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, thanks I never expected to read this New story so soon , but it is definitely welcome, an exciting start to this story, it seems that the family and crew are definitely getting bigger, we still need to catch the idiots

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks. Since I am alone a lot, I spend my time writing. So I always have a story ready/ This story I enjoyed writing and I hope you enjoy it as well

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow. Thanks so much for posting this next series so quickly. It is great to back with everyone again.

Poor Rabbit. Luckily he found the right place to hide out in.

I like Rabbit better than Ron.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..