Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,115 Words
  • 1,816 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 33. Chapter 33

Nicky's Birthday

Laying in bed, “Glen, I’m going to run over to the hospital in the morning and check on Shawn. I’ll be back about two and we can have the party at five when we have dinner. The boys will want to cook, so ask Mom to bring the cake over after two and we can help her.”

We did our routine workout, shower, had our breakfast, I packed another breakfast and hot chocolate for Shawn, Peter wanted to go, so we took him. I told Glen we would leave right after lunch. Shawn was in a good mood this morning, he was definitely feeling better. “I had a hamburger with french fries for dinner last night, that’s right, right Tom?”

“Yes, Shawn that’s right.”

“I have eaten at our local McDonalds but nothing like this hamburger. It was juicy and really delicious.”

“I bought it at the Mom and Pop place. I never knew it was there. They have good home cooked meals.”

Peter start to tell Shawn about fishing and crabbing. I whispered to Tom, “We call him the Crab Master.”

     

Glen walked in with lunch, Shawn smiled as Glen handed him the chicken soup. He had one for Peter and Tom as well. I watched as they ate the soup. Don stopped by to check on Shawn. Glen offered him a sandwich, which he took.

With Stella’s sandwiches, you take a half and one or two buns, depending on the diameter of your mouth. Glen, gave Don a half and two buns. Doc took them but he had a questionable look. I took a half and opened it, when he saw the size of the sandwich, he fully understood the half and extra buns.

After lunch, I told Shawn we had to leave for the birthday party and I won’t be back until Monday. “We go fishing on the weekend, that’s how we make our money, right Peter?”

“Yes, Dad and my bank is getting full.”

I laughed, “We pay the boys who work on the boat their share of the catch. When you are well enough, you’ll also be on the boat and earn your share of the catch.”

     

On the way home, “Dad, he speaks funny.”

“He’s from Scotland and that is how they speak and sound. Maybe this year at Christmas will visit Scotland. Then they will say you sound funny.”

Arriving home, “Glen, I’m going to take a shower and get ready of the party.”

“Wait, I’ll join you.” I was hoping he would. Showers are for a lot more than getting clean. Glen and I understood that and continue to learn how fun showers can be.

Truly sated, we got dressed and went to see what we could do to help. Scott, with the help of Steve and Travis, had dinner under control. “Steve, did you work at the Wharf today?”

“Yes, I started at eight.”

“Good, keep tract of your time.”

“Do any of you know when Grandma and Granddad are coming?”

“Grandma said she would be right over as soon as Granddad get’s home from work.”

“Do you have everything you need? Glen and I can run to the store if you need anything.”

“No, thanks Dad, we went to the store before lunch. Oh, I charged everything to you.”

“That’s okay, I’ll take care of that tomorrow.”

Glen and I went to the rec room, the kids were reading except Adam. He was watching a movie. As soon as I sat down on the sofa, I had a six year old in my lap. I wrapped my arm around him, as we watched the movie. It was very quiet except for the sound from the movie. Who ever started the movie put the sound down, low enough to hear and provide an atmosphere for reading as well.

Have you ever been involved in something and loose time? Peter yelled down, “Grandma is here.” I gave Adam a kiss behind his ear and went to welcome Mom.

“Mom, the cake is beautiful. I have the centerpiece for it.”

“Kev, Nicky is here with Jamie and his folks.” The boys went and got their gifts and placed them on the table around the cake. When Nicky walked in the boys all yelled, Happy Birthday. I don’t think Nicky was surprised but he acted surprised, he gave all of the boys a hug.

“Mom, is this my special cake?”

“Yes”

He gave his mom a hug and a kiss on her cheek as he said thank you. By the smile on his face I knew he’d enjoy the cake if nothing else. “Where’s Dad?”

“Right behind you” Dad gave him a hug and slip the keys to me. Jamie saw that and just smiled. I looked at Glen, he was smiling as well.

“Dinner is ready”

We all sat around the table as Scott, Travis and Steve came in with a cart that had roast beef, roasted potatoes and a bowl of green beans. Of course with this crowd, there were several bowls of vegetables and potatoes that were sat at various places on the table. The roast beef was placed in front of Nicky, he wasn’t sure what he was suppose to do. Everyone sat down, we placed Frankie between Glen and I, flanked by Peter and Adam. I looked at the table, and I remember asking my mom why she had designed such a wide table. The tables could seat three people at the ends easily. Dad told me she wanted us to eat together, and we did, only I was in the middle.

Nicky was sitting in the middle of Mom and Dad, so guess who helped him carve the roast, Mom not Dad. The boys offered Grace as usual, it was taken as normal. We didn’t eat till Grace was said. Scott brought in a large salad bowl, whispering to Glen, “I wonder where he got that bowl?” He filled the salad plates for the boys, didn’t ask them, just filled their plates. But he did ask Jamie’s mom and dad, Mom and Dad and Glen and I. I guess he knew how much the boys could eat. Did you ever notice how quiet everything got when people started to eat. In general that’s true, but with Adam and Peter that isn’t true. They chatted through out the whole meal and of course that allowed others to join in.

“Boys, you out did yourselves. Dinner was excellent.”

“Yes, it beats some of the expensive meals I have had at first class restaurants.” Our boys were learning to be good chefs, chefs, because they are beyond cooks.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..