Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,284 Words
  • 1,853 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 22. Chapter 22

We pulled Sunday’s net at two and then headed in. As usual Nicky blew the horn about two miles out. Docking, anchor aweigh, stern line on, bow line on. Nicky cut the engine. Our cannery helpers were there with the tins, ready to get on board. Glen went to get the truck, Andy took Stevie and went to get the pans from Mary. Charles had shrimp and lobster for the cannery guys. And sitting in his patrol car was Bob and Ben. Charles and Nicky checked weights, Uncle sold fish. It was like all is well with the world. The rest of the boys cleaned the boat, stripped the beds of linens, took out the garbage and wiped down the galley. Scott moved food from the refrigerator to the freezer and what he couldn’t freeze he got ready to take home.

“Dad, I’m going to take this home, I’ll shower and be ready to go when you get there.” That was fine with me. Scott got the wagon, putting Peter and Adam in it, pulled it home. Glen came, we unloaded the chests, I had flushed out the holds, so we were ready to go as well. The boys started to walk back home, Stevie and Robby as well. I stopped to talk to Bob. “Don, said to give him a call.”

“How did everything else go?”

“Everything went very well. I don’t think you’ll see Luke around. His dad hit the ceiling and Luke is going to military school in Maryland. How did it go with you?”

“Good, Stevie will stay with Robby, I have a job for Stevie. They both will work the boat on week-ends when we go out. And hopefully Frankie will join them. I’ll see you later when I deliver the fish. I have a car for Jamie, a smart car like the one I have for Nicky only dark green. I saw it in the shop yesterday. It’s a beautiful car but what they did with it in shipping was terrible. I told them when it was finished being repaired to give me a call. We can then go and see it.”

“You know I’m not sure about it. I can’t believe that you can get a car for four thousand dollars.”

“A damaged car”

He smiled as he drove away. Dropping off the money at the bank, I walked home. The boys were still showering. I waited till they were done and then I got mine. I went and got dressed and couldn’t find anyone. When I went outside, there they were all lined up. I remembered to call Don, I rushed back into the house and called. “Don, this is Kevin. How’s the boy?”

“Kev, I’m going to keep him for a few days. I need to do more testing but Kev you saved his life. Those beatings were more severe than what appeared on the outside. He has internal injuries that I’m hoping will respond to treatment. Otherwise we’re looking at organ transplants.”

“Don, do what you must and if you need to bring in anyone who you think will help, do it. I’ll cover the cost.”

I’ll never understand how anyone can beat a child. Walking outside, they were waiting, truck was packed, car was packed in fact it was so packed, I thought I’d have to walk. Jamie and Scott drove.

 

First stop Grams, we gave Gram her filets, the boys like to do that, helps the crab population. Gram’s neighbor got hers and here’s Charles with his girl friends father.

“Marie, isn’t feeling well today so I came.” Charles put their fish in his pan, looked at me, I nodded he added shrimp and two lobster. Marie’s dad thanked us and gave Charles a kiss on the cheek, “From Marie”

Next stop barbecue dinner. I took the cash box, Glen had the envelops. I announced that I’ll pay from the house and to please line up. They did, all except Robby and Stevie. “Did you boys work the boat this week-end?”

“Yes, but we aren’t a part of the crew”

“I think you are, look how you are dressed compared to the rest of the boys.” They did and realize that they were dressed the same. When it came their turn. Kevin and Glen explained what they are getting and why.

After eating, next stop was Robby’s home. Robby’s mother was home, it was a small house but clean and neat. Kevin introduced himself and Glen, he explained where Robby was and what he was doing over the week-end, “It’s our practice to share the bounty with the workers. So do you like fish?”

“Yes, but it’s expensive.”

“Robby, get a pan to put your fish in.” He brought what looked like a large soup pan.

“Ok, with that pan, you need to filet these two fishes.” I handed him the knife and watched him do it. Her eyes darted around the fish he was filleting and she saw the shrimp. You could almost see the droll from her mouth. With the fish filleted and in the pan. I took about a dozen shrimp and added it to her fish pan.

One of my boys whispered in his ear. “Mom, can I go and have a sleep over with the boys.”

There were tears in her eyes, I guess working so much she feels bad about not being there for her son but now he has friends and not the street kind. She would cry nights because she knew what he was doing to help her with some money. Then one of the boys whispered something else in his ear. “Mom, here’s my week-end pay.”

She looked at me and Glen, “We have a fishing boat and all of these boys work on that boat, the rule is if you work, you share in the catch. We sell the catch to the cannery and we use that money to pay the boys their share. That’s Robby’s share.”

She took the envelope, more tears. “Maam, I have no place to stay, if I can stay here, I’ll help with the money. I’ll have a full time job.” He handed her his envelope as well. She gave him a hug.

“Of course you can stay. No one should be living on the street.”

“Let’s go boys, we have fish to deliver.”

As always, the boys liked to show their parents how they clean fish and now they like to show how they filet the fish. Peter likes that idea, the bones make good food for the crabs.

Arriving back at the house, “Stevie, Robby, stay in the car. I need to get a paper signed by your mom in case of a medical emergency I can take you to a doctor.” I drove to Robby’s house. Knocking on the door, Robby went and led me to the kitchen. I could tell someone was cooking.

“Mom, we need a form sign by you so Kevin can take me to a doctor if it’s needed.”

She was eating shrimp, I smiled, “These are so good. I couldn’t wait.”

“I’m glad you’re enjoying them. I’ll make sure you get more next week.” She signed the paper telling Robby to behave. We left, he was smiling and so was she. I can imagine the relief she felt knowing he wasn’t on the street selling himself.

Arriving back home, “Where did you go?”

“Went to get a medical release form. Boys, the rest of the crew are in the rec room.”

Opening the door to the rec room, we heard, “Hey where did you go?”

“We went to get some form signed.”

 

     

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter, he deserves to go to military school, for abusing the boys, all around an excellent chapter, now onto the wedding

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Luke got off cheap by just going to military school.God I hope things will be OK with Frankie.A person who beats a child is the absolute worst form of human life

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. Robby mum is happy with her fish

Cleaning as a way to earn a living, is difficult. Most jobs pay minimum and having to go to the city eats away at her income, traveling expenses. I think she is more happy with someone not on the streets

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, he deserves to go to military school, for abusing the boys, all around an excellent chapter, now onto the wedding

🙂 As soon as the mermaids are ready

 

5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, he deserves to go to military school, for abusing the boys, all around an excellent chapter, now onto the wedding

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Luke got off cheap by just going to military school.God I hope things will be OK with Frankie.A person who beats a child is the absolute worst form of human life

 

Military school seems to be the answer to boys who need discipline. With Kev and Glenn's support, Franklie will be okay,

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..