Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,925 Words
  • 2,305 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 13. Chapter 13

Dad's day on the boat

It was six thirty when I looked up and there was Glen with a smile on his face. “You’re intense when you work.”

“I’m intense when I make love as well.” That brought a kiss, “Let’s go. I wonder what kind if man his dad is?”

“My guess, he was a jock in high school, had a following and was a bully. He met his wife in college, he recognized he had to be a gentleman, I’d say she had money. He continues to be a bully only now his son who must pay. I’d bet he’s an alcoholic.”

“How do you know that?”

“Social studies in college. I was interested in knowing how people operate, how they made decisions and what influences they had that pointed them in a certain direction. My basic interest was in what motivates people to do what they do.”

“You continue to surprise me Glen. Is that what took you so long to agree to marry me, you were psychoanalyzing me?”

Laughing, “I think we continue to surprise each other.”

Arriving home, “Do you smell that?”

“Yes, Nicky is cooking again.” Imagine our surprise when we saw Scott and Travis cooking.

“Where’s Nicky? We thought he was cooking.”

“No, I wanted to make these meat pies that my grandmother use to make for me. I liked them and so I thought maybe you would like them as well. My grandmother was a great cook and she taught me a lot. The table is set so we we’re waiting for both of you to change.”

Beside the meat pies, they had a salad which went very well with the pies. “Glen, we have two more cooks. Looks like we won’t have to cook anymore.”

The boys gave Scott and Travis a hug as they left. Clean up was done by the boys. Then they headed to the rec room, Peter insisted we go also, we had to say hi to Gus. Peter had to show us his stash of crabs to feed Gus. I looked at Glen, he smiled.

“Travis, is your dad coming with your mom?”

“I don’t know.”

“We’re planning a dad’s fishing trip. If you get a chance ask. Glen’s dad and I think Andy’s dad are coming. Nicky, you should check with Jamie and Johnny, see if their dads want to come as well. Travis, if your dad is coming and wants to go out, he needs shorts and a t-shirt.”

That night in bed, “Do you think Travis’s dad will come?”

“Hard to say, if he does it’ll be Travis’s mom who’ll make him come.”

     

Thursday I went with Glen when he went to check if the boys from the orphanage would be going with us. Sister Ann wasn’t sure until Father Damian showed up. She said that the four older boys could go but she thought the youngest was too small to go. I looked at the boys on the porch, they had mixed expressions on their faces.

The one called David, “I’m not going Sister Ann. I’ll stay here and take care of Adam.” Then the other three boys put their heads together, then Joseph one of the twins came down to the truck.

“Sir, we appreciate the offer of a fishing trip, but we’ll stay here and help take care of Adam.”

I knew this was wrong, but I knew now what I must do, these boys have shown what type of men they will become. Father Damian went and spoke to Sister Ann, but she wasn’t budging. “Kev, what will she do if there’s no fish on Monday?”

“I don’t know, we could sell the fish but it’s a shame that people get their nose in a snit because they feel the power, better question is what would God say to a position like that. The boys would be safe, Peter wasn’t much older when he sailed with us. I wonder if there’s something else that’s bothering her.”

Father Damian came back, “It’s okay, all five boys can go.”

“Thanks Father, it’d be a shame for them to miss out on this. We’ll think about something for the girls. Father, we now need to take the boys to get them outfitted. All of the seamen on my boat must be in uniform. Send one of the boys to get the cook. I think I have something that might help.”

The cook came out, “This isn’t Monday, David said you have something for us.”

“Yep, where’s your pan.” We laughed as she headed back inside, she returned with Bessie May and two pans. I opened the chests, they were filled with shrimp. When she saw that you could see the wheels turning, ‘what can we do with this’. I knew there would be a surprise for dinner tonight. Sister Ann handed us some papers concerning the boys.

The boys piled in the truck, Adam had the middle seat in front and we headed for Jim’s. “Kev, have you ever notice how Jim smiles when he sees us coming in with new boys?”

“You mean like now.”

“Junior”

Junior came and started to take measurements, then he started to pile everything on the counter, Jim began to ring it up and place it in bags. Glen took Joseph and Johnathan to help carry the packages out to the truck. I paid for everything and went back to work. I got a sandwich from Marge and a coffee, that was my lunch.

     

Making up for a long lunch hour, Dad came by and said he would drive me home. Glen took the truck and the boys home. I enjoyed the ride with him, we never really had an opportunity for just the two of us to chat. “Are you ready for your inaugural fishing expedition?”

“You know when I first knew that Glen was going fishing on week-ends I was a little puzzled as to why he’d want to do that. Then Nicky, I told Anna that you must be hypnotizing the boys. But Nicky especially, he has mature more in the last six months than he has over the year. So yes, I want to know what’s magic about fishing that has my boys so enthralled with the idea.”

“You’re aware that it’s the charm and magic of the mermaids that are responsible.”

He looked at me as if I was crazy. “Before, you say it, Nicky is in love with one of them. Maybe you’ll meet her at the wedding. I have it on good information that they’ll be at my wedding. Can you imagine being blessed by mermaids?”

“I think you’re crazy and maybe that’s your charm. I’m very glad for Glen, Anna and I would never pick a man for Glen but we always knew he wasn’t into girls. We’re very glad he found you or did you find him?”

“It doesn’t make any difference, we found each other and I couldn’t be more happier than I am right now. For the first time since I lost my parents, I feel complete and happy. That’s all due to Glen, I guess you and Anna have done a fine job raising two men.”

“Glen said you bought a car for Nicky.”

I wondered when this would come up. “Yes, Nicky is very important to Glen and me. I call him my first mate but he’s actually more. I trust him with my boys and boat. He needs something special and I do have a major interest in a car dealership. And in a few weeks so will Glen.”

“You both are spoiling him.”

I laughed as we pulled into my drive way. “What are you building now?”

“That’s my office, I wanted a place to conduct my business outside of my bedroom. I’m adding a guest room above the office. John Adams is the builder, he worked for his dad who has done most of the expansion.”

When we got out of the car, I saw John Adams heading our way. “Wait, I’ll introduce you.”

“Kevin, what do you think?”

“Looks good so far, when will you be finish?”

“Probably another two weeks, the office will take one week, but the bedroom above it will take the extra week. We need to add the bathroom and do the interior work. I wanted to thank you for putting me in touch with my new carpenter. The guy is doing great, he already has saved you a few pennies and has speeded up the construction.”

“Is he here?”

“Yes, he’s on the roof there.”

“Mind it I talk to him for a few minutes.” John Adams called and waved him down.

He introduced us, “I understand you have a son about the ages of my boys. They think he might like to go fishing, what do you say?”

“Well, I don’t know. How much does it cost?”

“I’m sure what ever it costs you can afford it.” Just then Charles came out hearing the car and seeing no one.

“Charles, are you a friend of Paul?”

“Yes, he sits at our table. Is he coming fishing with us?”

“I don’t know, his dad is thinking about it.”

“You got to let him come, he’ll have good time. Most of us sit at the same table for lunch, so I know he wants to come.”

“Well, I guess I can bring him tomorrow when I come to work.” That was settled, but he needed clothes and shoes.

“Paul, may I have your address, I’ll need it to bring him home after fishing.” I looked and there was Charles with Andy and a piece of paper and pencil.

 

After dinner, I sent Nicky and Charles to pick up Paul. Glen was going to get him an outfit tomorrow morning so we needed his sizes. About one hour later they pulled in, I heard Charles laughing, a new sound. “Dad, Pop this is our new crewman, Paul. We’ll cocoon tonight.”

“It’s a good thing they do that with all of the new boys, it’s the only logical decision.”

Friday, we left a little early, Nicky, Scott and Travis were in charge of breakfast. We didn’t want to be in the middle of that.

Laughing “Do you think we’ll have a home when we get back?”

“I’d bet they’ll be crabbing all morning. I know Peter will push for that.”

 

Friday I worked through lunch so I could leave earlier. Mr. Donaldson told me that when Travis’s parents arrive they would be staying at the Wharf. I thought poor Uncle.

When we got home, there was David with Adam. “David, didn’t you go crabbing with the boys.”

“No sir, I didn’t want anything to happen to Adam.”

“David, you might not realize it but every boy here will make sure that nothing happens to Adam.”

Glen took the truck with the chests to the boat. He came back with a load of boys riding in the back of the truck where the chests would normally be. “Okay boys, let’s get ready to go fishing. Where’s Travis?”

“He was at the Wharf with his parents.”

“Okay, Nicky can you get his clothes, he’ll have to change at the Wharf. How about your dads?”

“My dad will meet us at the boat.” That seemed to be the consensus.

“Okay boys, we’ll have guests on the boat so we must make sure these landlubbers don’t get hurt.”

That started them to laugh as they headed to change. Glen took Adam upstairs and soon brought him down in his uniform. David had a big smile, he and the rest of the boys from the orphanage went and changed. Paul was surprised when Glen handed him his clothes. “Glen, what a fine looking crew we have.”

“Aye, aye Captain, for landlubbers they are indeed a fine looking crew.”

Adam rode on Glen’s shoulder as we headed for the boat. “Glen, take the guys on the boat, I’ll go and get Travis. Here comes Dad, Bob and John.”

I walked into the Wharf, poor Barney looked like he had seen better days. “Barney, what’s the problem?”

“You’ll see”

“Mary, where’s Travis?”

“He’s with his mother.”

“Which room I’ll go and get him.”

“No, let me, there has been a few small riots. His dad told him he can’t go and he was going back home with them.”

“What did his mother say?”

“She said he’d be going home alone and if he didn’t keep his mouth shut, she’d get a divorce. I guess she controls the monetary string.”

“Okay, here’s his clothes. Good luck.”

While I waited I went and talked with Uncle at the Captain’s table. They were talking about the big ass from back East. I just listen thinking what did I get myself into with this guy

Travis came down, dressed and ready to go. He had tears in his eyes. His mother was with him, I introduced myself and told her that I couldn’t leave without my full crew compliment. There was a smile on Travis’s face. “You better hurry, we’re almost ready to go.”

He gave his mom a hug and ran for the boat. Then I heard, “Travis, come and help.”

“I don’t know what you did, but that’s not the same boy I sent here at Donaldson’s urging.”

“He’s a good boy and he has fitted in very well with all of the boys. My oldest son paints and so they have bonded over that.”

“My husband thinks he’s a sissy.”

“I feel sorry for your husband, he’s missing out on an opportunity that’ll never come again. Is he going fishing with us, he was invited?”

“I need to check, if he isn’t ready, he’ll be on the next bus back home.”

I talked some more to Barney, paid Uncle’s tab. Had one of my beers, when Diana entered with a big man, not tall but he was fat, I wonder if he could go down the stairs to the cabins. “I was told that you wanted me to go fishing with you, little boys stuff.”

“You mean not manly like hiding in the woods waiting for a helpless deer to cross your sights before you shoot it with a high power rifle?”

He just looked at me. It was obvious he didn’t like me, nor I him. If I ever was tempted to throw a man over board, it would be him. “Let’s go, the boat is ready to leave port.”

“Wait I forgot something.”

“Sir, no alcohol, everything you need you’re wearing.”

“Go along Harry, you don’t need the booze.”

Reluctantly Harry walked to the boat. He acted like this was an ordeal. I felt sorry for Travis. But I was very pleasantly surprised, the boys rallied around Travis. Then I knew he’d be okay. He had the kind of protection that any boy would love to have in front of a bully. Nicky, blew the whistle, everyone was crowded around the table.

“Charles, the anchor, Andy, stern lines, Johnny, bow lines, let’s go crew.”

I looked at Glen, “Smooth”

And it was, Nicky blew the horn one more time, I showed Dad how to get to the bridge.

“Dad is proud.”

“He should be his son is the best pilot on the seven seas.”

“It’ll take us about four hours to reach our planned fishing spot. Then we’ll lower the nets and have supper. Just so you know, it’s a four am wake up. The boys are use to it and expect it, so dads, don’t let them show you up. Scott you and Andy show the dads the empty cabins that will be for their use. Also show them where the heads are.”

I had explained to Nicky, Scott and Andy about the need to double up so that the dads could have a cabin to them selves. They had no problem with this. As it turned out, Glen and I shared our cabin with Peter and Adam.

Scott, Travis, and Andy started to prepare dinner when we were about five miles out. Nicky tooted the horn when we were six miles out and we’d fish seven miles out.

Dinner was something else, the boys stood back as the Dads fixed their plates. Of course, one dad asked for a second plate. We had enough food and I truly expected left overs, poor Travis was embarrassed. The boys all fixed their plates and found a seat at the table. Before any of them began to eat, Joseph started, “Our Father” then each boy, ours included, asking for the food to be blessed as well as those who prepared it. They start to eat after the Amen was said. All except you guess who. He ate like he was starving, I’m not sure he even chewed his food. I felt sorry for Travis. I looked at Glen, we had to do something.

Dinner over, left overs put away, the boys asked for a beer. I thought Harry was going to have a fit, “You said no alcohol and they are asking for a beer.”

Now it was Travis’s turn. He went down and brought up twelve bottles of beer, without the labels. He gave each boy a bottle, I shared my bottle with Adam. The dads all laughed but they knew what the beer was, except Harry. He took Travis’s bottle and took a big swig. I looked at him, “If you throw up, you’ll clean this galley on your hand and knees.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 9
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. I feel sorry for Travis, at least he has the boys to support him. Harry is a bigger bully than I imagined, I  think he'll regret going on this fishing trip.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Maybe Harry will learn a thing or two before the fishing trip is over. What an ass! But the rest of them are terrific! Thanks. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Wow I'm surprised Harry went.Calling it little boy stuff what a moron.good reply by Kevin though.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. I feel sorry for Travis, at least he has the boys to support him. Harry is a bigger bully than I imagined, I  think he'll regret going on this fishing trip.

The question is who will regret it more, Harry or Kev, Glen and the boys

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JeffreyL said:

Maybe Harry will learn a thing or two before the fishing trip is over. What an ass! But the rest of them are terrific! Thanks. 

It is difficult to reach a bully and an ignorant person 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Wow I'm surprised Harry went.Calling it little boy stuff what a moron.good reply by Kevin though.

the one person Harry is afraid of is his wife.  I think she says jump, he says how high 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Don't think Harry can jump. Something about an equation... too much mass = no energy. I think Harry's going to flounder about. If he complains about his accommodations there's always the stern 'hold', although  he definitely over the size limit.

Poor Travis, but the boys will look after him (and wee Adam), and at the end of the day, they'll have a 'whale' of a tale.

As for 'the good Sister'? Her attitude makes me recall 'Sister Mary Yardstick' who took pleasure in rapping (only) the little boys knuckles in class. But as the saying goes: 'there's a special place in Hell for those who harm children'. 

Okay boys, it's time to haul in the nets, with the 'Catch-O-the-day'

:thankyou:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, Harry will either shape up or he will be part of history, permanently, if his wife finds out , interesting times ahead

  • Like 2
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Don't think Harry can jump. Something about an equation... too much mass = no energy. I think Harry's going to flounder about. If he complains about his accommodations there's always the stern 'hold', although  he definitely over the size limit.

Poor Travis, but the boys will look after him (and wee Adam), and at the end of the day, they'll have a 'whale' of a tale.

As for 'the good Sister'? Her attitude makes me recall 'Sister Mary Yardstick' who took pleasure in rapping (only) the little boys knuckles in class. But as the saying goes: 'there's a special place in Hell for those who harm children'. 

Okay boys, it's time to haul in the nets, with the 'Catch-O-the-day'

:thankyou:

Catholic school had it's charmers

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, Harry will either shape up or he will be part of history, permanently, if his wife finds out , interesting times ahead

She must know how he behaves. So I'm sure she will find out and he'll back on the bus home

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..