Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,438 Words
  • 1,893 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 32. Chapter 32

Driving into the city on Thursday, “I’m to meet Bob and take him to look at a car for Jamie. Which reminds me, are we all set for Nicky’s birthday?”

“Yes, Dad will take his car home today, so you may have to drive our car home. The boys have been busy wrapping their gifts and storing them in Andy’s room. Mom is baking his favorite cake. I thought it should just be a small party with Jamie and Johnny. They have been his friends for a long time.”

“Okay, I’ll leave the arrangements to you. Does Johnny graduate this year?”

“No, I think he’s in Scott’s grade. You have one more year and then, Scott will graduate and all likely Travis will as well.”

“We need to investigate apartments. I’ll call a realtor this afternoon.” Glen dropped me off at the hospital, I took my thermoses and headed to Shawn’s room.

 

“Good morning, you must be feeling better, you’re sitting up a little more than yesterday.”

He smiled, “Yes, Tom said I should try and sit up, it will help the healing.”

“I brought you some breakfast.” I poured the hot chocolate. I gave him the thermos, I had eggs and strips of turkey bacon on top. I gave him the wrapped toast, and helped him to open the thermos. “We could put the bacon on the foil, while you eat the egg.”

Tom walked in, “I see I’m just in time.”

“He’s going to need help eating. It’s difficult with only one hand.”

“I’ll help him. There’’’s coffee at the desk if you would like some.”

I let Tom help him while I went for my coffee.

“What did you have for dinner last night?”

“We had meatloaf and mashed potatoes from the Mom and Pop place. Not bad”

“But not haggis”

“No, thank you! I never really liked that. It stinks while it‘s being made. My friend’s family makes it, but I don’t like it.”

“A Scot’s who doesn’t like haggis, wonders never cease.”

Tom was teasing and I got the impression he teased Shawn a lot. It took a while for Shawn to finish his breakfast. Tom was a university student in pre-med. But his finances restricted the number of classes he could take.

“Dr. Weaver has been my mentor, he arranges for jobs like what I’m doing for Shawn to help with my finances.”

“I’ve known Dr. Weaver for many years, we were at university together. He was a good friend and helped me when my parents died.”

“If you’re finished eating, I’ll get you cleaned up for the day.”

“Let me finish the milk first.”

     

Glen brought lunch along with Scott and David. I introduced the boys to Shawn and Tom. Tom took the lunch and proceeded to make sandwiches, as Glen did yesterday. As we ate, the boys talked. David had Shawn laughing as he told stories about fishing. I looked at Glen, “I didn’t know they did that.” It seems that when they all had to use the heads, some of the boys went to bless the ocean.

Scott was talking to Tom about the University. That left Glen and I. “Dad took the car home so I went and brought the boys.”

“Great, now I need to see Bob.”

“I’ll do that. I guess Pete knows what to do.”

“Yes, let me know when you’re going to go, I’ll call Bob and tell him to meet you there.”

“Call him now, I can go anytime. Privilege of being the bosses son.”

I stepped out in the hall, called Bob and arrange for him to meet Glen at two in the afternoon at the dealership. Before walking back into the room, I heard Glen telling Tom about out wedding, he left out the mermaids.

Scot and David were telling Shawn what it was like living with Glen and I. They told him about the rec room, the work out room and about the beer. “Dad and Pop have strict rules about alcohol, except beer. We’re allowed as much beer as we want as long as we don’t waste it.”

“If they don’t allow alcohol, isn’t beer alcohol?”

“No, it’s root beer” Now obvious Shawn didn’t know what root beer was. So the next few minutes, between Scot, David and Tom they explained what root beer was. Shawn thought it was funny, Scot said he’ll get him some so he could taste it. Don came by to check on his patient, we chatted a little.

“Kev, when you have time stop at the bursars office, please.” That meant he was being bugged about who was paying for this hospital stay. So I let the boys alone, while I went to square the bill. When I walked into the office, the woman behind the desk, had her back to me.

“What can I do for you?”

“It’s what I can do for you.” She turned around and recognized me.

“I’m sorry, I should have looked before sounding so gruff. How may I help you Mr. Jaxson?”

“I’m here to pay Shawn Camshron’s bill.”

“Yes, I was wondering how it was going to be paid. This is an estimated bill since we do not know when he’ll be discharged. If there are any adjustments, I’ll let you know.” I took out my credit card, she swiped it, I signed and then I left. I think they find the most dullest person for this job, 'no humor allowed' should be painted on the wall.

     

Going back to the room, the boys were still talking. Tom said Glen left and would see me later. I just sat there and then decided to go for some ice cream. “I’ll be back”

While I was out getting ice cream, I called a realtor to ask about rentals or places that were for sale in the proximity of the University. He said he would check and get back to me. I bought the ice cream and headed back.

As I entered the room, I heard Scott talking about Scuffy and then The Peter Charles. Scott had a piece of paper and was sketching the boats as he talked about them. They looked at me, carrying ice cream for all, me included. I glanced at the drawings, they were good. “Since you are all here, I’m going to take a break. I’ll just be around the area. I had another patient before Shawn, I want to check on him.”

I sat and listened to the boys conversations. Sometimes you learn more from listening than talking. Shawn was known for his playing and dancing skills. He and his friend made money by playing and dancing at various festivals and parties. “When I’m home and have my pipes, I’ll play and dance for you.”

“Your pipes are here. I brought them thinking they would be a little bit of home and a comfort to you.”

“Where are they?”

“I think Tom put them in this closet. Yes, here they are.” Holding the pipes, really brought the brogue out in his speech. David thought the accent was interesting, Scott thought it was weird, but not in a bad way.

“Do you think they would let me play it?”

“I don’t think so, Shawn. It would be very loud for a hospital and you may not have enough air. Let’s wait till you can play and dance for us.” That satisfied him.

     

Glen stopped by to pick us up to take us home. I again gave money to Tom to buy supper. On the way home, I told Scott we’d celebrate Nicky’s birthday tomorrow. “Scott, please make sure the boys have their gifts wrapped. Grandma is baking a cake.”

I called Bob and asked what he thought about the car. “Kevin, are you sure that I can buy that car for four thousand? It’s a beautiful car, I don’t want you to subsidize it for me.”

“If I did, it wouldn’t be for you, it would be for Jamie.”

“Jamie’s birthday is next week, so I’ll arrange for Grace to drive me over and pick it up.”

“I think you’re going to drive her over and she’ll pick it up. Do you have a place to stash it so he doesn’t see it till next week?”

“I thought we could stash it at your place.”

“I have a better idea, how about we stash it at Dad’s place. That is where we stashed Nicky’s.”

“Ok, if Glen will let me.”

“I’m sure Dad will let you. Plan on it.”

    

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 12
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Are Kevin and Glen ever going to have a day where they just take it easy?I guess not with all these kids around.But its cool

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Is it possible to get a list of all the characters and how they are "related?"

Especially with how many Boys there are now, etc. That would be cool.

Enjoying this story so very much :2thumbs:

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, I am glad that he is progressing well, and that he did not have any serious issues with head trauma, now let's party

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..