Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,846 Words
  • 1,613 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Peter Charles - 55. Chapter 55

The next morning as Shawn and Callum returned with me on the bus, I looked at the front of the pub. It was five thirty and it looked like all of the kids were there, along with a few parents.

Shawn and Callum, checked their paper slip as they got on the bus. All on board, we headed for the boat. The kids were excited, I wasn’t sure who was more excited, Shawn, Callum or the kids.

As soon as they got on the boat, Scott and Steve had hot chocolate for them and an egg and sausage sandwich. Charles blew the whistle and then the magic words, ‘Johnny, anchor, Joseph, bow lines, Jonathan, stern lines.’ Then the responses as the motors kick in and we were going fishing. The night before we picked a spot about ten miles north of the marina.

Arriving at our spot, the kids watched as the boys dropped the nets. Johnathan and Joseph took the kids to the stern, they watched as they dropped the stern nets. They were baited with the cod cleanings we kept when we first arrived. Charles explained that now we needed to wait. “We have games we can play till it’s time to pull the nets.”

The nets were dropped at eight, so I decided we’d pull at twelve and then have lunch. The boys took the kids two by two and showed them the cabins. They thought they were neat, a few sat on the beds to see if they were comfortable.

I looked over at the kids, my guess this group ranged from eight to sixteen. Before they would leave, I wanted their name and age. I went to the Captain’s cabin and got a blank book that I used to keep the tally of money we make. I buy them in a package and there are always extra. Taking the book upstairs, I asked Scott to paint on the cover the name of our boat, and a picture of a pirate. I told him what I was going to do. He laughed and thought it was funny. He did a good job.

At twelve it was time to pull he nets. Glen and I took the older kids, and told them what they had to do to help. I didn’t know if we had caught anything or not, I was not familiar with these waters. As the nets came up, I knew we had fish but what kind, I had no idea.

The older boy was excited, “What kind of fish are these and are they good to eat?”

“This is a mackerel and that is a herring. They are both very good to eat.”

I called Scott and told him about the fish. We were going to have some for lunch. Johnathan and Joseph took the younger kids to the stern to bring up the stern nets.

Using the entails of the fish we cleaned for lunch, he baited the nets and dropped them. He let the kids touch the lobster, they didn’t want to touch the shrimp.

We had fish and chips for lunch. The fish was good, the kids really like it. After lunch it was time to make their mark. While everyone was sitting around the table in the galley, “If you sail on my boat, you must register and make your mark. So I need each one of you to come and make your mark.”

I printed the kids name, if he could sign, he signed, if he couldn’t, I told him to make his mark. When this was all done, David told them about the Pirates and they used this method to share their booty. He went and got a few pirate books, he let the kids read them.

I noticed a few of the younger kids were getting sleepy, I told Glen to take them to the cabins and let them sleep in one of the cabins not being used by the boys. One little girl, fell asleep in Glen’s arms as he carried her down to the cabins. We’ll do one more pull, have dinner on the way in and call it a day.

It was five when we pulled the nets. Again we took the kids out on the bow to help and some of them went with the boys to pull the stern nets. While we headed in, the boys cleaned the fish, saving the entails for bait. I went and looked at the stern holds, I was surprised there wasn’t much but there was shrimp and lobster.

Scott and Steve made dinner, they called it an American dinner. It was some sort of stew with sausages, beans and spinach, all from our freezer. With warm bread the kids liked it, it was good. The older kids asked for seconds, the younger kids needed help.

Pulling back in the marina, Charles blew the horn. I asked each kid how many kids in their family, I made a mental note that their brothers and/or sisters would be on one of the trips. We moved the chests to the bus and headed to Alban’s pub.

The families came to pick up the kids and the fish as I promised. The kids were excited and the next batch were just as excited . We had plenty of fish so I let them have as much as they wanted. The fish left over, the Pub got.

I went back to the boat. The next morning was the same, only this time, Callum and Shawn stayed at the pub. Bus loaded, we headed for the boat and a repeat of yesterday. We did this for six days, I think they imported kids from the next village. I didn’t care I was having fun and so was Glen only he wouldn’t admit it. When we finished our last trip, Shawn and Callum opened a fish stand selling fish in the village square.

I asked Shawn what were they going to do with he money, he said Callum wants to give it to the church, they are part of a program that supports orphanages in Scotland. I guess there are orphans all over the world.

 

Going home, we had plenty of fish but we still had to fish for cod. We even slowed up and drop the stern nets, I was surprised that we got quite a good haul.

We made it to our fishing village, filled the fuel tank and water tank, loaded on some ice for the holds and then we were off to Norfolk. This time there was a naval vessel and they did get a chance to dance. Scott, Steve and Glen went shopping, our supplies were getting low.

The next morning we stopped at Miami, and then headed for the Panama Canal. On the way back to our home port we stopped in Mexico and bought the old woman’s supply of avocados. Scott and Glen brought back with them enough tacos that we could have two. I wanted fajitas, so they went back and came back with enough fajitas for everyone. We stopped in California for fuel and water and then we headed home.

We were going to fish before going in but I didn’t want to mix the fish. I sent the boys to get pans from Mary. We filled one pan with herring and the other pan with mackerel. The rest we took home, cleaned them and froze everything , cod, herring, mackerel, shrimp and lobster.

I took a long hot shower and went to bed. I was tired, which was unusual for me, Glen followed and asked if I was okay. I told him I was just tired and needed a good nights sleep in my own bed. That night I don’t remember anything till the alarm went off. I turned over and went right back to sleep. I didn’t have to go to work for at least five days.

Glen woke me at eight and asked if I was going to sleep all day. He said the kids were worried. I got up and showered, I did feel better. Getting a cup of coffee, Scott put a plate of eggs, bacon and toast in front of me. “Are you feeling okay Dad?”

“Yes, I’m feeling fine now but last night I was really tired. But I’m okay now.”

“Dad, you don’t have to go back to work till Monday, so can we go fishing?”

I would’ve thought they had enough of fishing but I guess not. “If you want to, how about we go very early tomorrow morning?” Yes, that was good. Crab Master took his crew and went crabbing.

The next morning at six we went fishing. It seemed strange to be during this in the middle of the week when you consider that for years it has always been week-ends. To be honest, I wasn’t into fishing this time. I let the boys take charge.

“When we get home, you’re going to go and see Don for a check up. You aren’t acting normal.” I knew I wasn’t feeling good, and for me that was strange, so I agreed.

The boys did a good job fishing, I really wasn’t needed any more, that was a sobering thought. We went home with a full load, Charles’s new arc was paying off. The music started one hour from the dock and ended when we were walking home after everything was unloaded.

We showered, change into our sweats and t-shirts, and then headed out to deliver fish. I let Glen and the boys run the show, I just didn’t feel like it. I now knew something was wrong and I had to see Don.

While Glen delivered the fish in the city, I went to the hospital to see Don. I spent all day there, one test after another. “Kev, you have an infection but it isn’t a common infection, have you in the last month, washed or drank any sea water?”

“No, I have never drank any sea water, but I have washed in it. Why?”

“You have a worm that is native to sea water. You must have ingested it somehow. The good news is we have a drug that will eliminate it from your system. How about Glen and the boys, do any of them show the same signs?”

“No, they are normal, at least they’re acting normal.”

“Okay, here’s a prescription you can get filled here at the hospital. Take one every eight hours till the bottle is empty. You’ll probably feel better after the first twenty-four hours, but you need to take all of the tablets to ensure there are no traces left in your body.”

I thanked Don, called Glen to come and pick me up. He asked what did Don said, I told him. He smiled, “I knew you had something, I’ll be glad to get my old Kevin back.” The tablets did work and I wanted to stop after the first day, but Glen made sure I took them all.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG. Deciding to stop taking medication once feeling better (instead of once the course is finished) is such a bloke thing. I would have (lightly) slapped him upside his head.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I'm glad Glen and the boys made Kev go to the doctors. At least Glen made him finish his medication, typical thing to do stop when you feel better.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Buz said:

OMG. Deciding to stop taking medication once feeling better (instead of once the course is finished) is such a bloke thing. I would have (lightly) slapped him upside his head.

Haha, but Glen prevailed. I actually know a lot of people who do just that and end up worse.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I'm glad Glen and the boys made Kev go to the doctors. At least Glen made him finish his medication, typical thing to do stop when you feel better.

yes, but it is always wrong.  Every doctor I know stresses, take the meds till the script is finished. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

To be honest, when I was reading about Kev's illness I was afraid their would we a cliff hanger. Thanks for resolving it at the end of this chapter.  I am sure that village hopes the crew will return and take them all out fishing again.  Great chapter. Thanks!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Excellent chapter, yip I agree take the meds till they are finished, I am glad reason prevailed, 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

To be honest, when I was reading about Kev's illness I was afraid their would we a cliff hanger. Thanks for resolving it at the end of this chapter.  I am sure that village hopes the crew will return and take them all out fishing again.  Great chapter. Thanks!

I think there is a love in Kevin that affects everything he does, it's a love of children. I'm sure the village will open their hearts to him every time he comes to Scotland.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Excellent chapter, yip I agree take the meds till they are finished, I am glad reason prevailed, 

I'm glad he listened to Glen

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..