Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,374 Words
  • 211 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - 19. Troubled Treatment

The Interviewer

 

My heart started racing as soon as I got the news.

 

My request for a doctor went through!

 

A planet by the name of Haonun has a race of floral-like humanoids.

 

Supposedly there is a tea which may help stimulate the brain to heal itself.

 

I had called for this treatment when Zafiro had told me about his visions. This has helped a lot of cases with those symptoms.

 

Most cases had shown improvement and cures.

 

I’m hoping these voices he hears are also linked to his visions.

 

I am really hoping this works.

 

Zafiro is young and this illness of his is causing enough damage. Not only to him but those close to him.

 

I make my way to Henson’s office, the doctor should be speaking with them at the moment.

 

A couple of inmates nod to me with a smile.

 

I nod back of course.

 

I have taken quite a few into my sessions. It appears to be quite popular among them.

 

While it is nice that I am considered a bright part of their days, it is tiring.

 

Henson and I have spoken about possibly bringing more Interviewers because of the demand.

 

I am only one after all.

 

When I step into his office, Henson is already speaking with our doctor.

 

The doctor has green skin that looks to be made of long and sleek leaves. There are holes in the mix of leaves that look to be mimicking a face. The top of their head has a bouquet of flowers that droop delicately along their shoulders.

 

“Interviewer,” Henson nods to me. “This is your doctor.”

 

They stand and offer their hand to me with a smile. “Greetings! I am Thelorr.”

 

I nod and shake their hand. “You may call me the Interviewer.”

 

Their head tilts to the side in slight confusion but they don’t dwell on my name.

 

After I tell them all that I know about Zafiro, they reach into their stomach.

 

Seeing them do that was quite surprising!

 

Henson curses loudly and turns away as if he was seeing someone strip naked.

 

Thelorr’s leaves around their stomach have opened slightly, allowing their hand to reach in and they pull out a small basket weaved from elastic twigs.

 

“I shall prepare the medicine for him,” They say cheerfully.

 

Henson and I watch over them curiously.

 

Inside their basket, there are small leaves of dark shades of orange.

 

They use a mortar and pestle to grind up the leaves.

 

After that, they then boil said leaves until the color of the water has turned completely orange.

 

They drain the leaves and pull out other vials of liquid that were hidden inside their stomach as well.

 

Henson has a concerned look on his face.

 

“Is something troubling you,” I ask him.

 

He looks up at me and shakes his head. “No, I'm fine. I’m only wondering if this will work. If it does work, will he still want to be with us?”

 

I nod slowly. “I doubt he would decline your offer to remain on the squad. He welcomes the distraction from living here.”

 

He grunts softly and drums his fingers together.

 

“Is something else concerning you, friend,” I ask while leaning into his line of sight.

 

Henson scoffs and shakes his head. “Always so nosey.”

 

I cross my arms and he chuckles.

 

“Alright, I’m worried about Alex,” He says while looking back at the doctor's work. “She’s pissed off at the squad being a thing. Well mainly that Zafiro is part of that squad.”

 

Ah I’ve heard all about that from Alex. She has quite a few not-so-very-nice words about him.

 

“I’m afraid there is not much that can be helped with that,” I say. “All you can do is keep a firm hand in making sure nothing escalates. As for keeping everyone else happy and safe, this should help their worries.”

 

I say that last sentence with a nod towards the vial in the doctor’s hand.

 

They slowly pour a clear liquid into the vial and slightly swirl it around, causing the color to change from orange to green.

 

“If it works,” Henson says next to me.

 

After the doctor finishes their concoction, it is time to bring Zafiro.

 

Henson sends an officer to retrieve him.

 

“I’m wondering how much different he will be if this cures him,” I say while pacing back and forth in the doctor’s room.

 

Henson shrugs in his chair. “If he’s so different that it isn’t even recognizable, I’m sending him back home.”

 

“Fascinating,” I smile behind my mask. “Would you be able to do such a thing?”

 

“Eh,” He shrugs and doesn’t seem very sure. “Maybe. Probably not honestly. A lot of people saw him kill a guy on live feed.”

 

I nod. “Yes. I’m still trying to get more information about that whole situation but he tends to be leading these conversations now. It’s concerning how much he is opening up to these voices and visions.”

 

Henson starts bouncing his foot. “Let’s not call them visions. That makes it sounds like he’s seeing the future.”

 

I hum in agreement. “Yes but as it still stands, he is already thinking highly of these…images.”

 

He watches the doctor walking back and forth to prepare everything.

 

They are preparing equipment to scan Zafiro’s brain as he drinks the tea.

 

Henson is very nervous.

 

It’s endearing really!

 

When he had called me to help Zafiro, I had not expected to see how much Henson cares for him.

 

Usually he calls me when one of his subordinates is in need of counseling.

 

When I learned it was to help a prisoner, I was intrigued.

 

Seeing Henson do everything he can to provide Zafiro with the best to offer was interesting.

 

Anyone who works with him has noticed how much care he is placing on this man. It has left a divide in how they view Henson now.

 

Alex being the one most vocal about her disdain towards the situation has made things a bit troubling.

 

If it were up to me, Zafiro would not be on the squadron. He would be placed under surveillance at all hours of the day. Any information to help me determine his case would help in the long run.

 

Letting him run around this prison without a care does not seem useful.

 

Alas, I am not the one in charge.

 

Patting Henson’s shoulder, He looks up at me and sighs.

 

“I know, I know! I need to calm down.”

 

I chuckle. “You should be more careful with hiding your emotions in front of Alex and her people. They will view it negatively.”

 

He scoffs and pinches the bridge of his nose. “Don’t I know it! Not a day goes by where Alex doesn’t ask me to get rid of him.”

 

Now that would not be right either.

 

At the end of the day, U.U.P.P. should be helping each of its citizens to the best of their ability. Henson is making sure that becomes a reality.

 

If he is truly doing it in the name of U.U.P.P. however, I am not sure.

 

Eventually Zafiro is brought in.

 

He has been placed in the hand brace again. I am not sure he will ever be trusted enough to go without it in situations like this.

 

His eyes are slightly swollen and red.

 

Frowning, I can only guess what he was crying about.

 

“The hell is this about,” Zafiro asks in annoyance.

 

Henson stands and helps lead him to sit on the hospital bed.

 

“We’ve brought a doctor who may be able to help,” He smiles proudly. “It might not work but at least we’re finally stepping in the right direction!”

 

For a moment, Zafiro only stares up at him in surprise.

 

“A-are you sure,” He asks. “Isn’t this a bit too soon? I haven’t even met this doctor! Do they even know if their shit will be compatible with me?”

 

Henson struggles to form and answer so I quickly move to help him.

 

“Zafiro,” I say gently, or as gently as I can with the voice modulator. “We have sent all our files and data about you. They have made sure that this is safe.”

 

He shakes his head. “What if I don’t want to do this? What if I’m fine with the voices?”

 

Glancing at Henson, I see he has also done the same to me.

 

This is exactly what I was hoping would never happen.

 

“Zafiro be reasonable,” Henson gets out. “It is dangerous! I understand you may find these images beautiful, but they make you incredibly violent. This is for your own good!”

 

He scoffs and rolls his eyes. “How would you know what’s good for me?”

 

“We don’t,” I say. “Nobody but you does. Do you truly think it is for the best?”

 

He glares at us and then his sees the doctor behind us.

 

“Who the hell is that?” He points.

 

Thelorr smiles and waves cheerfully.

 

“I’ll be your doctor today,” They say as they step forward with the tea cup in their hand.

 

Zafiro frowns as he stares at the cup. “Is it gonna make me trip out or something?”

 

Thelorr shakes their head. “Not at all. This will make you sleepy. Nothing will endanger you!”

 

“No, thanks,” Zafiro says and crosses his arms in a pout.

 

“Zaf, come one,” Henson says in a strict voice. “Now is not the time to back out. You had made it clear before that you were ready for this!”

 

He shrugs. “Well things change! I already know everyone is a piece of garbage who is forcing themselves to work around me! The least everyone can do is have to gall to be trash in my face!”

 

I frown. “Zafiro, surely you know that isn’t right. Nobody is forcing themselves to do such a thing. You know as well as I do how much you have created a kinship with some inmates here.”

 

“Not as much as I thought,” He grumbles.

 

Why is he thinking like this? Did something happen that I’m not aware of?

 

Henson squeezes Zafiro’s arm gently. “Please, Zafiro. We want to see you get better. I want to see you better.”

 

Zafiro pulls his arm away and rolls his eyes. “Fine. If it’ll stop your damn crying!”

 

Shaking my head with a smile, I pull Henson back so we can get out of the doctor’s way.

 

A tray is placed over Zafiro’s lap with the tea cup on it. The doctor sets up a machine that hangs from the ceiling. It reaches all the way down the sides of Zafiro’s head.

 

He gives Henson and I a concerned look from the opening for his face.

 

Henson’s knee bounces like crazy as he sits next to me.

 

A nervous wreck!

 

The doctor presses some buttons on the side of the machine.

 

A screen pops up showing Zafiro’s brain in blue light.

 

Red dots rapidly run from one section to the next. Some crowd around certain parts of the brain and in other parts, there isn’t much activity.

 

I stand and move to get a slightly better view.

 

I’ve seen a few videos of how brains work between different species.

 

Zafiro’s is a bit interesting.

 

Normally there isn’t much going on but it’s as if there is a party in there!

 

Zafiro eyes me from the corner of his eye.

 

It is a good thing my suit covers my face. I am sure my looks of concern and confusion would come across as something to be feared.

 

This has to be because of that brain chip, right? Surely that must be the cause of this?

 

I can’t think of anything else!

 

Perhaps all the augments he has? The only sign he took an augment was residue of it being injected into his neck.

 

I can’t think of any augment that has all the abilities he has!

 

If he could only tell me about his past.

 

I can only hope this treatment works.

 

“You may drink when you are ready,” The doctor says.

 

Zafiro downs it like a shot.

 

His eyes squint with his mouth still full.

 

“Oh god,” He mumbles without swallowing yet.

 

He shakes his head and forces it down.

 

“Fuck,” He coughs and gags before reaching for another cup with water. “That tasted like shit!”

 

I smile and turn to the monitor.

 

The doctor watches it closely. They stay awfully quiet for quite some time.

 

I’m not really seeing anything different happening on the monitor. Sadly, I am not very familiar with how fast this method works.

 

After a few moments, Thelorr motions for Henson and I to step to the side.

 

Zafiro stares after us with a raise brow as we leave the room.

 

As soon as we step out, Thelorr shakes their head. “It is not working. Results would’ve shown already on the screen. Whatever he has will not be fixed with our concoction.”

 

I frown and glance at Henson.

 

He has a finger pressed to his lips and stares down in thought.

 

“Would you be able to test him for other things you know,” He asks.

 

Thelorr shrugs. “Of course I can try but this was the best thing I could think of. Many of our plant life is poisonous to your kind. I cannot promise you that I’ll find anything at all.”

 

Henson curses under his breath and turns away.

 

I make sure to give my thanks to Thelorr before chasing after Henson.

 

“Are you giving up,” I ask, grabbing his shoulder to make him face me.

 

He rolls his eyes. “No, I’m not. I just had high hopes for this. I want him fixed.”

 

I nod. “As do I, but let’s not forget we still have some time to search for more options. Have faith, Henson.”

 

He sighs and looks back towards the room Zafiro is waiting in.

 

“We better break the news to him,” I say. “He will not appreciate us keeping information from him.”

 

With a nod, Henson leads us back to our troubled individual.

 

Zafiro is in the bed blinking away sleep.

 

“Not working?”

 

Henson sighs and nods. “Yeah. Sorry to disappoint.”

 

Zafiro shrugs. “Meh. I’ll live. It made me tired though.”

 

Henson chuckles. “They did say it was going to do that.”

 

I move to the other side of the bed.

 

“Do you wish for us to take you to your room or would you like to stay here,” I ask.

 

He tries to wave it off but his brace makes it difficult. “I don’t feel like moving. You both can leave now too.”

 

Henson pats his leg. “Alright, Zaf. If you need anything, you know how to call us.”

 

We shuffle out of the room and make our way to Henson’s office.

 

“Well that was a shame,” I sigh.

 

“A massive disappointment,” Henson chimes in. “U.U.P.P. won’t be happy we wasted their money.”

 

I hum in agreement. “That may make things more difficult with finding another doctor to help. My apologies for asking for the wrong treatment.”

 

He smiles and shakes his head. “No need to apologize, friend. I know your job is tough with things like this. I wouldn’t know where to start!”

 

“You definitely left me with a stubborn one,” I smile. “He is very adamant about not sharing any information with me. He loves talking about anything and everything except the questions I ask him.”

 

Henson fist clenched and unclenched. “I feel like we’re not going to be able to fix him.”

 

“That may be so, but the effort is what counts. As I said before…have faith. For all we know, a cure may be around the corner!”

 

~~~

 

Zafiro

 

I slip out of my bed and yawn.

 

Damn that tea knocked me out!

 

Glancing out the glass wall, I frown when I see they finished the construction of that new hallway they were making.

 

It is very strange they would make more room. It’s not like we are running low of empty cells.

 

Peeking out my cell’s door, I see it’s empty at the entrance to my hallway.

 

Slipping out, I walk slowly over to explore this new row of cells.

 

Well…row of cells was an overstatement.

 

It is a long hallway with empty walls. There aren’t even any windows!

 

As I walk down the hallway, I swear I hear whispers behind me.

 

When I glance behind me, I simply see the light on the wall from my cell.

 

Down this long hallway, I see a single door.

 

Strange.

 

Continuing my way along, I narrow my eyes.

 

Why does it feel like the hallway is getting longer?

 

It’s as if the floor is stretching more and more with each step I take!

 

Walking a little faster, I see the door keep the same distance. No matter how fast or slow I go, it never gets closer.

 

Those whispers keep making me look over my shoulder.

 

Every time I see the same wall. It hasn’t moved either.

 

The fuck kind of security precautions is this?

 

Sighing, I walk back towards my cell.

 

“Giving up so easily?” A voice chuckles behind me.

 

Looking back down the hallway, I find a man standing there.

 

“Piggy,” I whisper in surprise.

 

It feels like the air has escaped my lungs and I have forgotten how to breathe.

 

He smiles at me and holds his arms open.

 

Backing away, I shake my head.

 

I gasp for breath but it feels like none of it is coming in!

 

“You-You’re dead!” I try to say but my voice rasps it out.

 

Clutching at my neck, it feels so dry and like there are needles dragging from the inside.

 

Piggy suddenly is standing over me.

 

When did I sink to the floor?

 

He kneels over me and places a hand on my shoulder.

 

“Come on, kid,” He says. “You know the truth.”

 

What?

 

What is he talking about?

 

I try and speak to him but I can’t! It hurts too much!

 

Was it that tea? What is happening to me?

 

He squeezes my shoulder and leans his head down next to my ear.

 

His breath brushes against my ear before he says something that feels like cold water thrown at my face.

 

“You killed us. Why am I dead and not you?”

 

~~~

 

I lurch up and lean over into a coughing fit.

 

After spitting out a bunch of mucus in the back of my throat, I lean back on my pillow.

 

Tears warm up my cheeks but they quickly turn cold from the medical room.

 

Resting my arms over my head, I keep my eyes on the ceiling.

 

Maybe I won’t need some sleep for a while.

 

Everytime I blink, I see Piggy’s face.

 

Why is it whenever I dream of him, it always turns bad? Why can’t I have nice dreams where I think of those happy memories?

 

“Because you killed him.”

 

Yeah. Yeah I guess they’re right.

Sorry for late chapters. Irl problems seem to be stacking this year. Hopefully things will go steady soon!
Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..