Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,734 Words
  • 474 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - 15. Just A Taste

Zafiro

 

Today is our first mission.

 

Henson said it would be easy, which is nice I guess.

 

After that thing with the Interviewer two days ago, I’ve been feeling like crap.

 

We have a few hours before we leave the prison. We are supposed to wait till it is nighttime in sector seventeen.

 

That only leaves me time to freak out about what the hell was in that room.

 

That person was weird.

 

They were some kind of alien. I gathered that much. I don’t know how to take in everything else that happened in there.

 

Supposedly these talks are going to help me but I fail to see how answering random questions will help me at all.

 

Won’t be going back to that weirdo anytime soon!

 

All it did was make me remember how much I hate everything.

 

Anytime I think about how different things feel, my head hurts and lately the voices get louder as if they don’t want to give me time to have my own thoughts on it.

 

I don’t know.

 

It feels like new brain feelings have come to life and I don’t know what to make of it.

 

I know I try not to think about stuff too hard. Why do something that I know would only make me sad? Or mad?

 

The voices sure like reminding me of that.

 

Thinking about the past makes me think about my mama obviously. That’s probably the worst subject.

 

I already know I have no reason to be angry at her. I have to keep telling myself she was blackmailed into staying away from me.

 

Doesn’t always workout obviously!

 

There is an intense hatred for her that I didn’t entirely know I had until I saw her again after so many years.

 

Maybe it was slowly building up over the years. Maybe I didn’t realize I was already angry with her.

 

Okay obviously I did.

 

She was suddenly gone and out of my life and I had nobody.

 

I didn’t know Piggy and Vero.

 

They knew me but I didn’t know them in the slightest.

 

Ama came way later in life when I looked into getting a motorcycle.

 

All I had was my cat. Sadly Yinx couldn’t provide for me.

 

That time of being alone was probably the most scared I ever felt.

 

Definitely not as scared as the moment I realized I’ve lost my mind, but it was up there before that!

 

Squeezing my eyes shut and rubbing my temples, I leave my room.

 

No more thinking.

 

Fuck that Interviewer person.

 

I’m not sure what to do right now.

 

I suppose I could do what I usually do to try and get my mind off stuff? I’m not entirely in the mood to fuck around though.

 

Maybe a swim?

 

Eh…maybe not.

 

Perhaps a trip by Maksim would be nice. He’ll be without our group afterall.

 

Pushing myself to go through with it, I make my way there.

 

It’s a bit busy in the halls today.

 

Lots of people talking. Probably the buzz of prisoners actually being able to leave.

 

There was no way something like this would be kept a secret. I suppose it’s lucky for U.U.P.P. that we’re all trapped on the moon.

 

I happen to see Henson along the way. He’s in his office surrounded by a bunch of officers in black uniforms.

 

Must be a lot of work to prepare this stuff.

 

It took a few days to prepare for those places I knew would be a bit harder to break in. Piggy would have to figure out the ins and outs of certain buildings before the job went through.

 

Obviously it got easy as hell when Mekaias brought those aliens that took almost all of U.U.P.P.’s attention.

 

Something as big as this with multiple people sounds like a pain.

 

Maksim is not alone in his cell.

 

Well that’s fairly normal but the other is usually Gus.

 

It’s some random inmate that I’ve never spoken to.

 

He looks up at me in surprise and clears his throat, looking back at Maksim.

 

Maksim chuckles, smoke puffing around his cigar. “Take it and go. You have three days.”

 

The guy nods and quickly slides past me at the door.

 

I slip over to Gus’ bed and sigh. “What was that about?”

 

Maksim shrugs. “Just business. Shouldn’t you be preparing for your little vacation on Earth?”

 

I smirk and shake my head. “Got a bit of time to myself. I’m bored.”

 

He smiles and nods to the chess board.

 

I look at it like it’s gross. “No thanks. My brain hurts enough already.”

 

Another inmate shows up by the door.

 

He sees me and very clearly shows his hesitancy to step inside.

 

“Uh,” He swallows and glances at Maksim.

 

I raise an eyebrow at him. “I’m not gonna bite, ya asshole!”

 

Maksim motions for him to step inside. “Do you have my payment, Javi?”

 

He nods silently and places his hand over something I can’t see.

 

After a moment, Maksim grins as he holds it up.

 

He’s holding a phone. Some kind of payment was exchanged by hovering Javi’s hand over it?

 

Weird.

 

After the guy leaves, I can’t help but ask, “What do they pay you for?”

 

He shrugs. “Mostly things their replicators can’t create. Usually they want real stuff from Earth. Not this recycled nonsense they brew up.”

 

I narrow my eyes at him. “What things exactly?”

 

He eyes me up and down.

 

“If you think it’s drugs, you’re partially right.”

 

I think he was expecting me to look down on him or something.

 

“Partially?” I snort. “What are you giving them brownies or something?”

 

He laughs. “There is one who asks for brownies, but no. On earth, my group had created a drug that made use of augments.”

 

My gut drops hearing that.

 

It only makes me think about Cody using the feathers from that augment.

 

“It got quite popular,” Maksim boasts. “A few others had tried to replicate it but I am not sure how they could’ve. I never told them my recipe.”

 

Clearing my throat, I try to remain calm. “H-How is it made?”

 

He watches me like a hawk. “How can I trust you to tell you that little secret?”

 

I think he’s serious for a moment but he quickly slaps the table and laughs.

 

“I’m kidding, mijo! Don’t act so serious! I simply created an augment that gives the feeling of getting high. It’s temporary and only lasts an hour or two depending on the person.”

 

I nod silently, putting on a small smile.

 

The fact I’ve met another person who mixes drugs and augments makes me feel uncomfortable.

 

“You said you’re bored,” Maksim says. “You want to do something for me?”

 

Crossing my arms, I raise an eyebrow at him in question.

 

“Just go visit someone and tell them their payment is late. You don’t need to threaten them or anything. You showing up is all you need to do.”

 

Now I’m annoyed.

 

“Really? You’re using my craziness to scare people now?”

 

He shrugs and smiles. “I could ask someone else if you don’t want to. It’s up to you!”

 

“No!” I sit up quickly. “I can do your fucking legwork!”

 

He shakes his head and gives me directions to a cell.

 

It probably was a ploy to leave him alone honestly.

 

Now I’m off on an adventure!

 

It lasted about thirty seconds.

 

The guy instantly gets scared seeing me.

 

I simply relay the news with a smile and he says he’ll try and get the money for the payment tomorrow.

 

When I relay that to Maksim, he nods and gives me a knife as payment.

 

“A knife?” I can’t help but laugh. “What next? Are you gonna sell me off for some cows?”

 

He grins and pushes me out. “If they still existed, perhaps I would!”

 

After that weird experience, I decide to stake out in Henson’s office until it’s time to go.

 

~~~

 

Everyone is given a new uniform!

 

I literally get a replica of my suit.

 

It’s nice to have things I’m familiar with, but damn was this all they could come up with?

 

Alright, that's a lie.

 

The jacket is a little different.

 

It isn’t my mama’s old biker jacket, but a new black jacket with some kind of symbol on one sleeve.

 

It’s a moon sitting along a curved line representing a horizon.

 

Looks like that’s probably the moon squad emblem.

 

I’m wondering if these annoying collars will be taken off.

 

I wish they went my old bodysuit that covered my arms as well but sadly they decided not to.

 

The only weapon they give me for now is the baton.

 

Testing the new button I have, I toss the baton a few times in the air and use the button to catch it.

 

My trainer had shown me a few moves with my fancy new batony-spear thing.

 

One end is strong enough for me to stab into the ground to use as a pole to vault myself over things.

 

He was surprised when I used said move against him in a fight and pinned him to the ground by landing on him.

 

It’s pretty fun!

 

If I ever get out of here, I’ll probably end up trying to commission someone to make something similar.

 

Charlie and Gus sit next to me.

 

We’ve been ordered to sit on a ship that’ll take us to our mission.

 

A few members are late though.

 

Probably getting their own suits fixed.

 

Charlie wears a black suit that doesn’t cover his feet and hands, allowing his claws and stuff to be free to attack.

 

Anjak arrives in the same fit, though he has some holes in his back for his glowy spike things.

 

Gus wears a similar outfit to our prison uniforms. He’s wearing shoes that have the bottoms removed.

 

“They are supposed to help me concentrate fire,” He says.

 

Interesting!

 

Death by fire feet I guess.

 

Zee comes in and uh…he looks pretty handsome in his outfit.

 

It’s not tight like mine, Charlie, or Anjak’s but it’s enough where his arms and legs are nicely sculpted out. Especially his arms. Those are out and free and the shimmer on them of course makes them look pretty cool!

 

That one weirdo who can turn into random people looks like he’s wrapped in tin foil.

 

Wade was his name?

 

Dinoyo has his back free like a whore. It’s like that for his creepy scorpion tail.

 

That makes everyone present.

 

Henson’s buddies come in soon after.

 

There are seven like us. Perhaps they are supposed to keep tabs on us?

 

Once we’re all settled in, we are each given some kind of temporary tattoo on whatever skin we have open.

 

I got one on my forearm.

 

It is the same symbol on the jacket but the horizon wraps all the way around like a bracelet.

 

“These will keep track of you so don’t even think about escaping,” Henson says.

 

The thought did arise honestly. Still, the idea of being out there on my own keeps me from doing it.

 

After that, the ship begins to shake and rumble as it lifts off the ground.

 

I grip tightly onto the straps of my chair.

 

Everyone’s necks start glowing.

 

Our collars beep and shine a bright red light before it changes into a white light.

 

We all look at each other, a bit concerned at that.

 

“They have been disabled while you are on duty,” Henson says without looking up from his holopad.

 

Whatever he says I guess.

 

I’m pretty sure I have around three trackers on me so losing one won’t mean much!

 

“So unnecessary!”

 

“I know, right?” I chuckle.

 

Gus gives a soft smile at me.

 

It’s almost weirder when people do that when they hear me talk to the voices.

 

In what feels like only a few minutes, we feel the ship shake as it makes its landing.

 

Henson briefed us on what we were supposed to do.

 

I already hear the shouting outside and a bit of gunfire.

 

A group of U.U.P.P. officers are attacking a twin factory to draw out the people in the other. When the time comes, we are supposed to slip inside and climb up to find the taskmaster over these factories.

 

Seems easy enough!

 

A few officers pass around everyone’s gear. Mainly the more dangerous gear.

 

Like my guns!

 

It’s the same ones from training.

 

“Remember,” A voice shouts. “We want the least amount of casualties possible!”

 

I take it those ugly blue stun bullets are still here.

 

Groaning in annoyance, I move over to stand in front of the door with everyone else.

 

Henson eyes me before speaking to the squad.

 

“Alright everyone, you know your part! Now get out there!”

 

He slams his fist against the side of the door and we all sprint out of the ship.

 

Immediately I’m overwhelmed from being on earth again.

 

The gravity has me feeling heavy.

 

Pushing through, I spring down the hill we landed on.

 

I see the two factories and the one that’s being attacked.

 

It’s further away from us but I see different colored bullets flying out of us from all directions.

 

This place is rather open. The ground is nothing but dirt and rocks. The grass starts up just behind the factory we’re slipping into.

 

Not a single building in sight from here.

 

I don’t think I’ve ever been this far from the cities.

 

Well…the moon is pretty far.

 

I see a lot of guys in jumpsuits running out of one factory with guns.

 

Looks like the bait is working perfectly!

 

Checking over my shoulder, I see everyone else is a bit slower than me.

 

I should probably slow down. It wouldn’t be smart to be all by myself in there.

 

The ground rumbles as an explosion erupts from the top of the factory under attack.

 

My eyes widen as I watch the orange fire shift into a beautiful green. Then a blue!

 

Colors ripple across the sky, they form shapes that dance around shining brighter than the stars!

 

Those colors shine brighter as they form the shape of a phoenix flying out of the factory!

 

I vaguely hear muffled voices shouting behind me.

 

They draw my attention away from the display of colors and suddenly I’m yanked off the floor and flipped onto Anjak’s back!

 

“Pay attention,” He shouts at me.

 

Looking back up at the factory, all I see is a regular fire burning.

 

Well that’s fucking weird.

 

It was so cool!

 

“Did you see the colors?” I shout down to Anjak as he barrels for the factory.

 

He calls out that he didn’t and now I feel a bit worried!

 

Anjak growls as he raises his arms to slam into the garage door of this factory.

 

Slipping my head low to his back, I brace myself against him as he breaks through.

 

There are shouts of alarm from people inside this factory.

 

More people in jumpsuits look down at our group in surprise.

 

“Don’t just stand there,” A voice shouts. “Shoot ’em!”

 

Someone from behind me chucks out what I think is a grenade in front of us.

 

I flinch and duck my head into Anjak’s back again but instead of an explosion, a giant glowing blue shield pops up!

 

Their bullets ricochet back towards them.

 

“Four seconds,” A woman’s voice shouts behind.

 

I glance up at the bad guys aiming down from walkways.

 

Gripping onto Anjak’s shoulders, I brace my feet and wait for the shield to time out.

 

As it disappears, I push off of Anjak’s back and flip high into the air. I take out my guns in the middle of the flip and fire off at two guys on both ends of the walkway.

 

Landing on the middle of the walkway, a third falls onto his butt as I land next to him.

 

He looks at me in surprise and tries to aim for me with his gun.

 

Unfortunately for him, I’m faster with my trigger.

 

He gets knocked out and I take my aim for the ruckus below.

 

Gus’ light bursts into one corner, blinding a small group hiding behind cover.

 

Since I see them perfectly, they are my next targets.

 

Stunning them as well, I glance over to check how everyone is doing.

 

Nobody is really struggling.

 

In fact, they finished off the rest pretty quickly!

 

They make their way up the stairs of the walkway.

 

I let them lead the way to an elevator.

 

A small group goes in there.

 

The rest go up some stairs.

 

I do not envy them!

 

Well…I didn’t until Anjak and Charlie get in the elevator. I end up squished against the wall with Gus!

 

“Ugh! You’re too big! Get off!”

 

Charlie chuckles against me. “Too bad, kiddo! You’re stuck with me forever!”

 

“I thought you’d enjoy being pressed against a group of big guys,” Anjak snorts.

 

I roll my eyes. “My god you’re all dicks!”

 

A couple of chuckles from them.

 

“Yes and you rubbed all against mine the other day,” Anjak says with a grin only a few inches from my face.

 

He has to bend over everyone since he’s so tall.

 

There is a beep in my ear before Henson’s voice comes through.

 

“Let’s keep the comms clean please,” He says with the disappointment of a parent.

 

A couple of laughs from others in the call.

 

I want to die now.

 

My face heats up and I get saved by the elevator opening.

 

A few people look over at us silently.

 

Anjak falls backwards through the door, landing on his back.

 

“Damn,” He breathes and quickly stands up.

 

He turns to the people and his wiggly spikes glow a bit brighter.

 

Suddenly he dashes for a group running around for weapons.

 

We all quickly follow after him.

 

Well I guess I mainly do.

 

Everyone else does their own thing.

 

I shoot to make sure Anjak’s foes get knocked out.

 

As he’s running through different hallways, I see a door that has ‘management’ taped to it.

 

Really?

 

They might as well put a neon sign saying ‘come get me!’

 

Kicking open the door, I see our target sitting behind his desk.

 

As soon as he sees me, he crosses his arms and leans back in his chair.

 

“I’ll go peacefully,” He sighs, seeming bored. “No need to be all rough. I give up.”

 

I smile and aim my gun for him.

 

“Where’s the fun in that? I want to see you twitch!”

 

~~~

 

The Burn

 

There are is an army of screens playing the events of last night.

 

I sit in my chair with my chin resting on my fist.

 

My eyes bounce from one screen to the next.

 

“Sir,” Mikalos starts. “Should we not be planning our evacuation? How could they have possibly figured out the location of this facility?”

 

I hum along as I watch a man use a glowing blue ball to break a hole into a room.

 

“If they are on our trail, we aren’t safe here!”

 

I watch a catfish-like alien picks up a few of my men and throws them into the wall like a master throws a ball for his dog.

 

Each time I look away, my eyes can’t help but follow the smaller one. The speedy one. The one whose eye elegantly makes their mark before he pulls the trigger of his guns.

 

This one leaps and dashes around in a way that any human could only dream of achieving!

 

“Sir, I must recommend we move to a new location.”

 

Not taking my eyes off of this person, I reply.

 

“No.”

 

Mikalos practically gasps in astonishment. “But-”

 

“No,” I say, clicking over one camera to pause it at the right frame to get a closer look at the face of the interesting one.

 

“I want this one to find me,” I smile.

 

The glint of this one’s bright and shining blue eyes have a wild look to them. The look of an animal that has been tested on.

 

The exact look I saw every time I had stepped into my lab years ago.

 

Yes, I know it as if it was the back of my hand!

 

“I know when my work has been put into play. I can see it anywhere,” I chuckle softly. “Oh Cody. It looks like you aren’t fully dead, old friend. How naughty of you to steal my tech, but my oh my! What a lovely gift you have presented me to play with.”

 

Taking in the creature’s face, I smile at the hint of maddened joy hidden beneath its surface.

 

He’s on the fringe of losing his mind!

 

Thank you, Cody. Thank you for bringing me back something to play with!

Hello! Still alive!
Sorry for these delays. Got a lot of irl stuff going on. I'm not in a writer's block I promise! I've just got a lot of stressful things happening that prevent me from having the right mentality to type out these chapters.
Hopefully things will settle down and not have these super long breaks between chapters.
Thank you to those who keep reading 😄 I'll try and get better!
Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Wow 6
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh No Penelope GIF by One Day At A Time I got the inkling Mr. mysterious bad guy just might be more of a dick than Cody was and that's saying something Man Of Steel Omg GIF by HBO Max

welp till next chapter 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, out on their first mission, and the one they’ve targeted created the augmentation that Zafiro had forced on him… maybe this will lead to a solution, or possibly more of a challenge for him. Especially if the guy wanted to be captured.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Sounds like The Burn is either an old  enemy or friend of Codys. And somehow knows a lot about Zaf and his state of mind... 🤔🤔

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..