Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,008 Words
  • 200 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - 22. Reconnection

Henson

 

I narrow my eyes at my screen.

 

Not one Director named Avery is in our system.

 

Who the hell is this woman?

 

The closest I can find on Zafiro’s mother is that she is suspected to be a previous thief named Sophie.

 

Unfortunately it was never confirmed nor would it matter. She has vanished from the face of the earth for years now.

 

Until now I suppose?

 

She must have been working inside U.U.P.P. for years!

 

Drumming my fingers along my desk, I can’t help but wonder what her motives are.

 

Is she planning something?

 

My body tenses up when a notification on my holoscreen starts ringing.

 

It’s my cousin Reese.

 

Fuck.

 

I’ve been dreading this call.

 

I had to send in my reports for the last few days. That includes the thing with Zafiro’s mother.

 

Oh how I wish I didn’t take him on at this moment. It wouldn’t be my problem and would be on the ones running this prison!

 

Taking a deep breath, I press my finger to answer the call.

 

To my surprise, I see it’s a group call.

 

Several faces pop up on my screen.

 

I recognize most of them as the heads of the sectors on planet Earth.

 

Reese is among them.

 

Clearing my throat, I quickly sit up straight.

 

I thought this call was only going to be my cousin!

 

Damn I’m really in for it now.

 

“Director Atticus Henson,” Reese starts. “We have been going over the paperwork brought in from your last mission.”

 

I close my eyes and inwardly sigh.

 

I can already hear them terminating this whole operation. All my hardwork to keep this idea afloat will be ruined.

 

Right now I’m not even sure what to say.

 

“After Alex’s interrogation with the target, we must have you leave for the next mission as soon as possible. It appears that time is of the essence and we believe your team is more than capable of delivering the best results.”

 

My eyes widen in surprise.

 

“I-I’m glad to hear it,” I get out.

 

Reese nods. “I shall debrief you on the details after this call.”

 

A woman speaks up after him.

 

“We are interested in taking on your operation in our own sectors. Would you be able to send any information on how you have been running this group of prisoners?”

 

They really want to do this?

 

Have they not seen the last report with Zafiro?

 

“Ah…yes,” I clear my throat. “I’ll send all that I can.”

 

Reese then adds, “I’ll help you with it to make sure it gets out in a timely fashion.”

 

Frowning slightly, the Heads all give their thanks and goodbyes. A few wish my luck and then the call ends.

 

As soon as it closes, Reese is calling me again.

 

Answering the call, I can’t help but smile. “They are really taking on my program! It’s actually happening!”

 

He shakes his head. “You are so lucky I saw your report before they could get their hands on it. I had to edit out all that shit about your ‘little problem’. If it weren’t for me, they wouldn’t have even thought twice about locking this whole thing down!”

 

I can’t even comprehend what he just said to me.

 

I blink in confusion and shake my head, “what are you talking about? Edited? You changed my reports? That’s illegal!”

 

Reese scoffs at me. “As if that matters. You had someone sneak onto this station and she got away without so much a lift from her finger. I don’t even need to go into the details of that one troublemaker on your squadron.”

 

I stay quiet and let him continue his ranting.

 

I messed up. I know I did. I put too much faith into Zafiro when it was obvious that was the wrong thing to do.

 

The thing with his mother however, I wasn’t on the base. I suppose it is on me to have pushed my own people to question her for who she really was.

 

“From now on, you will be sending each and every little report to me. Even if you think it’s a normal day, you send that to me! Understand?”

 

Clearing my throat, I quickly nod. “Yes, sir.”

 

He opens his mouth as if he wishes to do another set of lashings, but he bites his tongue and sends a file my way.

 

“We have learned that the Burn wishes to make a test trial in Sector Eight,” He says.

 

Opening the file, I see all kinds of photos, recordings, and things of note.

 

They somehow got all these photos of the place that’s the target.

 

“It is a small neighborhood that is overlooked by an abandoned factory. You are going to send your entire team to take out the one taking charge of this operation.”

 

A mugshot of a lightly tanned man with a metal jaw pops up.

 

I frown taking in that silver jaw.

 

I can’t tell if that is from the result of an augment gone wrong, or not.

 

“Your target is Mikalos. You are to capture him but if you must take him out, do not hesitate to do so. We must protect those citizens no matter the cost.”

 

Narrowing my eyes, I look at the photo of the neighborhood.

 

It sits nestled at the bottom of a large green hill. The factory would be at the top. A forest of tall pine trees divide the two from each other.

 

“Why aren’t the citizens being evacuated,” I ask. “Surely the risk is too high.”

 

He nods. “Oh believe me, I’m aware. Unfortunately, my peers wish to keep anything related to the Burn hidden from the public.”

 

“May I ask why?”

 

He glares at something to the side of his screen while shaking his head in annoyance. “They are worried that more and more people are losing trust in U.U.P.P.”

 

I nod along. “Surely they realize these missions aren’t the reason why? There is so much corruption in all these sectors, it’s a miracle our society hasn’t collapsed yet!”

 

Reese rubs the sides of his head. “Don’t I know it! It feels like no matter what I do, nothing is changing.”

 

Seeing him all tired and sad makes me feel guilty. I got him into my operation mess. It sucks being another thing to add to his pile of shit.

 

“You should get some rest, Reese,” I say with a smile. “Can’t let the world eat you alive yet.”

 

He smiles softly and rolls his eyes. “Only so much sleep I can get with your antics. Be careful, Atticus. Don’t mess up the good you’ve got going. Really keep that one inmate on a tighter leash if you need him.”

 

Yeah. I’m not even sure where to start with fixing that up.

 

~~~

 

Zafiro

 

Somehow after that weird day, I find myself wishing to go home. Yet every time I think of the word “home,” I have no idea where that would be for me.

 

Earth is a confusing case where I hate it there and don’t want to go back, then the next moment, I wish to be down there with the people I knew.

 

At least the ones still alive.

 

Mama surprisingly is pretty high up there in the list of people I would wanna see as soon as possible.

 

Still though, the one at center stage is Tin Can.

 

I miss him like nothing else.

 

I wanna climb into his room and lay on his bed.

 

I wanna be overwhelmed by blankets with his smell.

 

Is that too much to ask for?

 

Also his dick.

 

And pecs too of course!

 

Fucking dammit…why did I tell him to move on?

 

This missing block of time being wiped from my mind really makes things confusing.

 

Pushing myself to my feet, I get up, grab a towel, and head to the showers.

 

I think I need someone to fuck these thoughts away.

 

When I walk in, I’m surprised to see it’s already being used.

 

Zee is in one of the stalls getting blown by some guy on his knees..

 

Pursing my lips, I slip in another stall and simply take a shower. I try my best to ignore the soft moans and stuff going on.

 

I could’ve simply walked out but I do need a shower.

 

Zee hasn’t spoken to me in a long time. No one from the group has.

 

Anjak told them how I’m some crazy asshole and now I’m being ignored by everyone.

 

I roll my eyes when I swear it sounds like the one blowing Zee is having his own orgasm just from blowing him.

 

“Fuck,” Zee groans in annoyance. “Just go. It’s ruined.”

 

Glancing over my shoulder, I see the blower glaring at Zee and walking off.

 

Rinsing the shampoo from my hair, then clean off my face.

 

It’s when my eyes are having to be closed from the soap that I hear the shower next to me turning on.

 

Wiping my face in the water, I then look at who is next to me.

 

It’s Zee of course.

 

He is washing his own body off and glances at me every now and then.

 

“Zee,” I sigh. “What are you doing?”

 

He shrugs as he uses a soap bar on his crotch.

 

“I got uncomfortable and wanted to clean myself up,” He says.

 

Scoffing at him, I turn away again.

 

“Happy to oblige,” I mumble.

 

“Zaf, it wasn’t about you,” He sighs. “I feel like an asshole alright? It’s already enough that I don’t know what to say after everything that’s been happening on these missions, it’s another when I’d rather have you in that guy’s place.”

 

This time I look at him unimpressed.

 

“Really? You think hearing that will make this any better or less awkward?”

 

He cringes at him and nods. “Look I’ve been having my own problems going on. It’s like everything here has been about you. It’s all about you. It’s hard not to think about you. Old feelings come up that I didn’t want to bring up again!”

 

Now I’m confused.

 

“What are you talking about? You think ignoring me is a great thing to do instead? It’s been awful! I feel so lonely now and nobody seems to care! That shit with Anjak was between me and him!”

 

Now he looks confused.

 

“It isn’t about that,” He says. “I mean it kind of is, but Maksim said that we should give you space. He’s worried you’re about to reset again.”

 

When he says reset, I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

 

Every time they say that, I wanna slap the hell out of them.

 

“Sorry,” He then says. “I forgot. We were all worried and went with it.”

 

“We’re fine! Nothing is wrong!”

“It’s not like we’re being THAT bad!”

 

I turn off my shower and lean against the divider.

 

“So Maksim is the one keeping me in the dark,” I say, mostly to myself. “I thought we were close enough where you’d at least tell me if something like this was going on.”

 

He looks down in defeat. “I know. Believe me I wanted to a few times, but Maksim eventually convinced me that maybe it was for the best.”

 

Zee walks over into my stall and stands in front of me. He seems to make a move to pull me to him but he hesitates.

 

“I’m really sorry, Zaf,” He says a bit quietly. “We all still care about you greatly.”

 

A slight pause. “I especially do.”

 

Raising my brow at him, I make a move to leave.

 

He blocks the way however.

 

Sighing to myself, I simply stand still but looking anywhere by his stupid face.

 

“Zaf,” He pokes at my face.

 

I shake my head but can’t help the slight smile pulling at the corner of my lips.

 

He pokes again. “C’mon. I saw that. Can we start over and be friends again?”

 

I snort at his childish antics. “Just friends now? Interesting after that weird botched confession. You turned away an orgasm for me…how romantic.”

 

He chuckles and looks away.

 

"Yeah that did look pretty pathetic, huh?"

 

The skin on his cheeks have a light brushing of that shimmer now.

 

Smirking at that, I lean up and pull him down by his shoulder.

 

Pressing a kiss to his cheek, I then slip past him.

 

Oh alright! I can’t be too mad at him.

 

Zee’s too much of a sweetheart.

 

Plus, they were my only friends here. I don’t want to be alone. I’ll take what I can get.

 

~~~

 

It takes me a good while before I decide to confront Maksim.

 

I am perfectly fine! I don’t feel like I’m forgetting anything…I think!

 

He has no right in deciding how I’m supposed to be treated up here.

 

Walking through the halls feels strange.

 

It feels like a longer trek than normal.

 

It’s like that dream with that strange hallway next to my room. The one with Piggie.

 

Frowning to myself, I glance behind me.

 

I only see a few other people walking towards their cells.

 

Not alone like in the dream this time.

 

Am I really awake though?

 

Clearing my throat, I clench my hands closed, stabbing my nails into my palms.

 

“Let them go!”

“You only need us now.”

“We’re the only ones who understand you!”

 

Biting the inside of my cheek, I keep walking towards Maksim’s cell.

 

“You know this will end like it did on earth.”

 

My jaw clenches hearing that. “No it wont.”

 

I reach the outside of Maksim’s room.

 

I hear him speaking with one of his customers.

 

They are making an order.

 

Pursing my lips, I lean against the wall near the door.

 

I remember how this goes.

 

Cody and Arturo would get very upset if you interrupted their business.

 

Somehow these types seem to always find their way into my life.

 

An officer eyes me as he walks past me.

 

He patrols the area around Maksim’s cell.

 

He’s the guard dog.

 

Well one of them.

 

Most of the guards here are under Maksim’s thumb.

 

I’m surprised Henson hasn’t caught on. His mind must only care for these missions.

 

The customer finally leaves and I slip inside.

 

Maksim is about to sit down when he notices me.

 

“Ah, mijo,” He says in surprise. “How wonderful it is to see you!”

 

I cross my arms and give an unimpressed look.

 

“Mhm, sure,” I say. “So wonderful after telling everyone to back off of me?”

 

He sighs and then sits on his bed, motioning for me to sit on Gus’.

 

“If you think I was doing it to cross you, I’ll take offense to that, Zafiro. I was doing what I thought was in your best interest. You were doing well and to see how you’ve been acting lately, it is worrying me.”

 

I snort at that. “I’m fine. I feel perfectly normal and not like my brain is trying to make me forget anything.”

 

Part of me isn’t so sure about that honestly.

 

It doesn’t help that I keep having double takes on what’s going on.

 

Questioning what’s real and not real probably isn’t the best either.

 

“Don’t pull that on me,” He says with a small bit of annoyance. “You should know that this is worse than before. At least we saw you randomly start over. This time it’s like watching a sick dog wither away.”

 

It’s then I see a pain in his eyes.

 

“You’re my family. Seeing someone you care for being sick is torture. Especially when you have to see it everyday.”

 

That hurt a bit.

 

“I’m not sick,” I say softly. “I really feel fine, Maksim. Making me feel alone only makes me feel awful! I hate it!”

 

He nods in understanding. “I’ll admit it wasn’t the best idea, but I won’t hesitate to do something without your approval again. My own mama taught me one thing and that was to do whatever it takes for your family, even if they fight you along the way.”

 

My brow furrows for a moment when he says that.

 

It almost sounded like a threat?

 

He said it as if he knows he will at some point.

 

“I’m not liking what you’re implying,” I say, standing up.

 

He shrugs and looks towards the cell door. “I know you don’t. It’s for your own good. That’s all I can say.”

 

Two guards are standing on either side, staring me down.

 

I frown at the sight and glance at Maksim.

 

His attention has moved towards his chess game.

 

“I’ll see you later, mijo.”

 

Not needing to be told twice, I make my way out.

 

I’m not sure what I expected out of this conversation, but it certainly wasn’t this.

 

It’s like I got scolded by some weird dad who thinks I have an addiction problem!

Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..