Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - Prologue. Prologue

Hello everyone! Been awhile since I last posted. That pandemic hit me with quite the writer's block but I'm slowly getting out of it. I figured posting again would help with that push to write more and more ^-^ I hope you all enjoy this journey with Zafiro!

The Interviewer

I watch the young man across the table. He stares down at it, his fingers twitching on top and his handcuffs drag against it as he traces along the scratches.

 

Dried blood stains his hands for some reason still.

 

Why couldn’t they have cleaned him up first? With a situation as big as this, now would be the time to pick up the slack and not be lazy.

Oh but I know why.

“Zafiro,” I say, trying to get his attention again.

His fingers freeze and he tilts his head. His hair has grown so long that his bangs shield his blue eyes.

“Come on. Tell me what happened,” I say. As tempting as it is to be more forceful, I know that would most likely make things worse for the kid.

He does not answer.

Instead, he lifts his head to peer at me through his hair. His eyes shine almost like a cats at night. The light from the lamp shining off of them.

His body shakes slightly, a sign that the voices are speaking to him again.

“All you have to do is tell me why you did it,” I say calmly. “I’m only trying to help you here. You know that.”

Zafiro bites his lip and shakes his head.

I am not sure if it was in response to me or the voices.

He turns his head to the side, whispering to himself as if someone were speaking behind his shoulder.

I suppose that answers that.

Glancing at the one way window, I try to keep myself from sighing out loud.

While I can’t see them, I can feel their stares, wanting this to be over to move on to their own activities once again.

Turning to Zafiro again, I see he has leaned down to rest his forehead on the edge of the table. He is muttering to himself, talking to the voices still.

I am not sure how things got this bad. When I first met him, the voices weren’t so strong to draw his attention.

Now…now he can barely register my voice it seems.

Were we really too late to remove that blasted device from his head?

“He had to go,” Zafiro whispers. He is looking at me now.

“H-He…he wanted to hurt…me?” Zafiro frowns, appearing confused and stares at the table again. “Couldn’t allow that. Not again.”

Again I have to hold myself from trying to push this along too fast. “Hurt you how? Zaf, what did he say for you to…kill him? Was it self-defense? We know that you were suicidal and have been assigned as a mentally ill inmate. Would either of those push you to lash out?”

Zafiro chuckles slightly, though his face is still glazed over and blank.


“They say I was protecting my family. Majority votes yes.”

I close my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose.

My body is tired and these last few days have definitely worn everyone out.

Scratching at my head, I stand then walk over and behind Zafiro. I place my hand on his shoulder and give a small squeeze.

“That’s all we need to hear,” I say before exiting the room.

When I see the other officers, they are already chatting in good spirits. They are happy they won’t have too much paperwork to deal with since this can be dealt with as a case of self-defense.

I want to hug the hell out of that kid for actually saying the right words. My heart was pounding thinking this would get even more out of hand.

As I leave to go to my office, I can’t help but wonder what the hell happened.

Zafiro will absolutely never give more information on how things went down. At least not now. Perhaps days, weeks, or even months from now.

This one will definitely be on my mind for quite a while.

 

Just what happened on this night and why did Zafiro murder a fellow inmate?

Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..