Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,232 Words
  • 169 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - 21. The Visitor

Zafiro

 

I grit my teeth as I pull against the glowing energy chain connected to my brace.

 

My wrists strain inside the brace, but I keep pulling as hard as I can.

 

After a moment, I give up and fall against the wall gasping for air.

 

I feel like a damn dog chained up here!

 

As soon as I woke up again, I found myself in the same room where I talked with the therapist or whatever they are.

 

A door opens and Blondie walks right in with the Interviewer on her heels.

 

She glares down at me on the floor.

 

“Just wait till Henson gets back,” She says. “You’ll be in for it then.”

 

The Interviewer stares at me and I really wish I could see their face right now. The mask irritates me right now more than ever!

 

“His ass should be in solitary,” Blondie says to them.

 

The Interviewer shakes their head. “His cell is the only one occupied in his row; if that counts.”

 

She rolls her eyes. “Psych then! He’s fucking crazy clearly! He shouldn’t be on these missions, let alone walking around with everyone else!”

 

The Interviewer does not respond to that.

 

“You’re one sick bitch,” I huff a small chuckle. “I already told you to take your drama to Henson. I’ve got nothing to do with you.”

 

“Ha!” She laughs. “I suppose killing people in my squad means I shouldn’t be pissed at you.”

 

Groaning in annoyance, I push myself up onto my feet.

 

“Oh fuck off! You all didn’t exactly give me a warning that you’d be coming for my ass! Shots were fired before I shot any of your people! Suddenly it’s my fault I defended myself?”

 

Her face twists in anger and I see her fist balling up again.

 

“You should’ve come quietly and willingly,” She spits out. “Nobody had to die if you didn’t resist! Everyone knows you’re supposed to listen!”

 

I wave her off, “Oh please. I guess it’s only a problem if your people get hurt. I suppose when it’s anyone of my people, who cares, right?”

 

She narrows her eyes but I see the conflicting thoughts starting to swim around in her head.

 

“It’s not like hearing the words ‘don’t resist’ has ended well for my people. Also fuck off, I’m pretty sure you all never told me surrender!”

 

The Interviewer has their pad out and scribbling notes.

 

The weirdo isn’t even speaking in this conversation anymore but here they are with that annoying pencil again.

 

Blondie pulls up a chair and sits in it.

 

“Look, I get how you see that night…I think.” She leans forward and pinches the bridge of her nose. “What’s getting to me now is how you have such little care for life! You were defending yourself; got it. It’s crazy that you don’t seem sorry at all for killing those people. I mean you went out of your way to remove the stun setting in that tower. Why? Why are you so fine with killing people?”

 

When the hell did she become Interviewer number two?

 

I can’t help but laugh at her for being so stupid.

 

“These dumb stun bullets glow right?”

 

She nods.

 

I motion around me like it’s not the most obvious thing. “Hello? They would see where I’m shooting from! All the more reason to turn it off if you want me to keep things subtle in there.”

 

The Interviewer stops writing and their voice box clicks before speaking. “Surely you’ve heard how often U.U.P.P. doesn’t want people to die in their operations. With how often it is told to you, you still went out of your way to avoid that one rule.”

 

Scoffing at their words, I sit back on the floor. “I’ve seen so much death in all the people around me down there. Every one of them was a U.U.P.P. citizen but that sure didn’t seem to matter to you all. They were abandoned like furniture on the side of the road. Sure starving was the big one, but that didn’t stop buildings collapsing from neglect, sick people being denied entry to hospitals…Hell, I might as well add no security being a problem in my neighborhood. It probably woulda stopped all those damn gangs from happening.”

 

“You probably wouldn’t be stealing.”

“Your mama wouldn’t have either.”

 

“Zafiro,” The Interviewer cuts them off. “You have been given more time for these new deaths. Do you not realize how wrong it is to do such a thing? Do you feel no regret for killing living beings?”

 

I roll my eyes. “It’s not like they were good guys or anything.”

 

“They were people forced to take those jobs,” Blondie says. “Those same people could very well be from the same background as you.”

 

“She’s got you there!”

 

Looking away, I drum my fingers against my knee. “As much as you wish that would affect me, I’m pretty sure you know I’ve killed those kinds of people before. One of them happened to be on everyone’s holoscreens.”

 

Cody didn’t exactly send me to kill these high and mighty rich people. He sent me after his competition.

 

Obviously Arturo made sure to buy me out too so I never targeted his people.

 

Honestly it kinda hits me now that I really was their own little hitman sometimes.

 

Not a lot!

 

It only happened a few times.

 

“Can I go now,” I sigh.

 

I’m starting to think too much about my past and I don’t like it.

 

“No,” Blondie says. “You’re staying here until Henson gets here.”

 

She looks at the interviewer and juts her chin towards the door.

 

They get the message and leave.

 

“We’ll be back when he gets here,” She says before following them out the door.

 

The door slams shut and then I’m alone in here.

 

Leaning my head against the wall, I close my eyes.

 

I don’t even remember how this all started.

 

Someone had come up onto the roof, I took them out…then suddenly I was on the floor being shocked like a dog!

 

“Fuck,” I whisper to myself and massage my temples.

 

My head feels like it is throbbing and I wish it would stop.

 

“This only made them more scared of you.”

“...of us…”

“We’re going to be more alone.”

 

My body keeps shaking as if it’s freezing in here.

 

Hugging my knees to my chest, I rest my head on top of them and squeeze myself into a small ball.

 

Why is this happening to me? Why me? What did I do for all these things to happen to me?

 

My eyes water and I squeeze them shut.

 

I’m crazy.

 

I’m a crazy person.

 

Why am I losing my mind?

 

“Hey now!”

“That’s a little rude!”
“...we’re not all bad…”

 

“I fucking hate you all,” I grit out. “I hate you all so much. I want you gone.”

 

Biting my lip, I wipe my face.

 

“Please just…go away.”

 

“We’re with you forever!”

“We said we’d always be there for you!”

“So ungrateful.”

 

I squeeze at my head, trying to make the painful noises go away!

 

There is something really wrong with me.

 

I get the voices and all that crazy shit.

 

Before all that though, there was something wrong with me too. That whole killing without care mindset wasn’t right was it? I can’t exactly blame the chip for that.

 

I remember Vero and Piggie getting onto me not really being careful with my life. They hated the idea of me swinging hundreds to thousands of feet in the air.

 

Damn I still kinda do it!

 

That freefall from Blondie’s ship wasn’t exactly safe. My equipment coulda failed. It always risks failing every time.

 

This isn’t even my stuff. This was given to me by U.U.P.P.

 

Who knows if they could figure out how my stuff worked?

 

I mean thankfully they did but damn…I really do just throw my life around without a care.

 

Isn’t it normal to care about all that stuff?

 

Blondie and Interviewer’s little talk kinda worked I guess.

 

I look up when I hear the door being unlocked.

 

When I see the person who walks in here, I feel my blood run cold.

 

~~~

 

The Interviewer

 

Alex paces back and forth behind me.

 

I stand with my arms crossed with my eyes on Zafiro behind the glass.

 

I watch his body trembling slightly and I realize that must mean the voices are speaking to him.

 

It isn’t entirely noticeable. At first I had thought it was a cold shiver he gets. I had simply assumed he gets cold a lot faster.

 

Seeing him do it more than once in such a short time, I realize he is having a conversation with him.

 

He whispers his responses to them and it is disturbing.

 

Alex stands next to me.

 

“He really needs to go to psych,” She says with a frown.

 

When I glance at her, she lifts her hands up as if I had yelled at her.

 

“I’m not saying it because I don’t like him! I mean you of all people have to see how crazy he is.”

 

She motions towards him talking to the floor.

 

All I can do is shrug.

 

“Unfortunately it is neither yours nor my call to make,” I say. “As much as I agree with you, Henson would never do such a thing.”

 

She hums in agreement.

 

We stare at him in silence for a moment, wondering what to do about him.

 

I have heard how these psychiatric facilities work on earth. The ones specifically made for prisons can be rather lackluster.

 

There have been a few stories from the very few inmates who had returned from such places.

 

They told me how much they hated it there. They said they lost their sense of self there. They felt as though they were trapped inside their own bodies and all they could do was watch as doctors and nurses probed their medications to keep them quiet.

 

It very well could have been dramatic antics to keep them out of there but who knows?

 

I am not sure what can be done for Zafiro anymore.

 

I still search for other treatments but he doesn’t care. He made that clear with the last treatment.

 

A knock on our door brings me from my thoughts.

 

An officer pokes their head in.

 

“Boss, there’s someone here who said they need to see him.”

 

The door opens up more and a woman walks in.

 

It is a woman with brown hair tied up in a bun. Grey stripes are in her hair as well.

 

She wears a fancy pantsuit and some heels.

 

She’s chewing gum and I’m wondering how she got that in here.

 

Who is this woman? Why does she look vaguely familiar?

 

Alex moves in front of me. “Just who do you think you are? You can’t just waltz in here as if you own the place!”

 

The woman raises a brow at Alex before looking through the glass.

 

“You can call me Director Avery,” She says as if she didn’t hear Alex’s word.

 

Avery?

 

I don’t recognize that name. Perhaps a newly reinstated Director?

 

I keep quiet as I watch her staring down Zafiro.

 

Why is she here? How does she ever know Zafiro is here?

 

Not many people know about this prison, let alone the inmates inside it.

 

“I need to speak with him,” She says, turning to Alex. “Preferably alone.”

 

Interesting.

 

Alex glares at the Director. “And if I decline?”

 

The woman smiles but her eyes do not. “I think it would be best if you do if you wish to keep your rank. Hell I’d be fine with decommissioning you if that’s what you’d like.”

 

Alex’s jaw clenches but she stands down. “Fine.”

 

The Director moves for the door leading to the interrogation room.

 

I leave with Alex following behind me.

 

As the door is about to close, Alex slips her foot back to keep it from shutting all the way.

 

“Alex,” I whisper in a panic. “Did you not hear what she said?”

 

She smirks at me and presses a finger to her lips to keep quiet.

 

Slowly, she peeks into the door to make sure the Director is in the room with Zafiro.

 

We both slip back inside when we see it’s safe.

 

Avery and Zafiro stare at each other for a long time. I almost think they are communicating telepathically until I see Zafiro sigh and reach up to rub his eyes.

 

“Why are you here?” He groans in annoyance.

 

They know each other?

 

I quickly pull out my notepad and pen.

 

“Porque soy tu mamá,” She says.

 

Alex looks at me for an answer.

 

“It looks like that is his mother,” I frown.

 

He’s the son of a Director? How didn’t anyone manage to find this out?

 

Zafiro rolls his eyes and leans back against the wall. “As if that matters anymore.”

 

He says that in a tired voice.

 

“En español,” She quickly says. “Ellos estan escuchando.”

 

My hearts jump a bit hearing that.

 

“She knows we’re here,” I whisper to Alex.

 

Zafiro chuckles softly, his eyes barely opening.

 

“Como desées,” He says with a shrug. “Eres una fantasma en mi cabeza.”

 

I frown. “He doesn’t think she’s real.”

 

~~~

 

Zafiro

 

Closing my eyes at that obnoxious light, I sigh and cover my eyes with my brace.

 

“Are you really gonna answer why you are here,” I ask. “I much prefer when Piggie visits. Though a visit from Soul would be awfully sweet.”

 

Mama’s footsteps move towards the table.

 

“I wanted to check on you,” She says. “Roy told me you called him. He worried about you.”

 

That makes me smile a bit.

 

Opening my eyes again, that light framed around mama has gone down a little bit.

 

Her face can barely be seen through the light.

 

What is that?

 

“He really asked about me?”

 

Thinking about him being all worried for me has my chest feeling all fuzzy and warm.

 

I see a faint smile inside her light.

 

“Of course,” She says. “We all are worried about you up here. I didn’t realize you would be involved in a squadron. Seems a bit dangerous if you ask me. You should be settled down and safe in your cell. Also, you need a haircut.”

 

Rolling my eyes, I sigh.

 

“Suddenly I don’t miss having a mother to hassle me.”

 

She chuckles and tilts her head. “It’s good to see you again. How are you doing up here?”

 

As usual, I put on my smile.

 

“It’s going great! I’m just serving my time. I made some new friends. Life’s pretty good!”

 

I barely see her brow raised in an unimpressed look.

 

“Now tell me how you’re really feeling,” She says with her arms crossed.

 

I shrug and look away.

 

“Why aren’t we killing her yet?”

“She ruined our life!”

“She’s the reason you’re in here!”

 

“I’m tired,” I say softly. “All I do is try and ignore everything that got me here. When I’m not doing that…well I mostly think about Tin Can.”

 

Unfortunately he’s got someone else now.

 

I let out a long sigh and start feeling all teary eyed.

 

“I’m sorry you’re here,” She says and moves to sit next to me. “I’m sorry about everything. I…I should be in your place. Not you.”

 

This feels weird.

 

She’s saying things I want her to say but I know she wouldn’t!

 

Such nice things my mind comes up with.

 

I wish it were real.

 

The angelic light on her can fuck off though.

 

“It’s whatever,” I say. “It’s not like things were looking up down there. I’m probably right where I need to be.”

 

I feel something wrap around my wrist.

 

When I look down, I see her hand holding me.

 

I let out a soft laugh and feel my tears spilling now.

 

It feels so real!

 

It’s kinda wild how much my brain likes to fuck with me.

 

After all this time, all the times where I only had hate towards her, if she were really here right now…I’d want to hug her. A nice big hug to remember the good times.

 

I want to feel normal again.

 

Taking what I can get, I lean into her and my magical version of her wraps her arms around me.

 

She squeezes me tight and leans her head over mine.

 

My body shakes and I clutch her coat tightly.

 

Wiping at my tears, I sniff and keep my eyes shut tightly.

 

I don’t want this feeling to end.

 

“I’ll try and get you out of here, cariño.”

 

~~~

 

Henson

 

“And you all just let her walk out of here? What the hell were you thinking?”

 

Alex and the Interviewer sit across from me with their heads held down.

 

“We might as well let anyone up here now! Nobody has the sense to double check who they are!”

 

The Interviewer is surprisingly the one who speaks up first.

 

With a click of their voice box, they say, “With all due respect sir, we know nothing about his past. The only information of his life that we know is his crimes. Even then, we don’t know exactly how much he has done.”

 

Cursing under my breath, everytime the woman would walk into the frame of a camera, the feed would get all distorted and fuzzy.

 

Apparently she had a device inside her gum that would mess up our cameras everytime she chewed into it.

 

I’m not even sure how she found this place!

 

Clearly she’s working inside our system. I’m not sure where or how.

 

“Fuck!” I kick at the garbage can next to me.

 

“What did Zafiro say,” I ask them.

 

Alex shakes her head. “He thinks she was one of his weird visions.”

 

The Interviewer nods. “We can’t convince him she was really there. He thinks we are trying to tease him like those officers did before.”

 

God dammit!

 

First him going against Alex’s orders and now this!

 

The higher ups are going to kill me and all I’ve been working on!

Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So sad they messed him up with the imaginary Tin Can visits that he doesn’t believe that this visit from his mother was real.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..