Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,369 Words
  • 298 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - 12. Riskworthy Addition

Zafiro

 

Surprise, surprise!

 

I was once again called to Henson’s office the next day.

 

It was after everyone’s tryouts so I was wide awake.

 

As I was nearing his office, I heard him speaking to someone on a holoscreen.

 

“The mission is yours,” A woman says. “All you gotta do is prepare your criminals to find him.”

 

Officer Henson is quiet for a moment.

 

“What’s bothering you,” She asks. “I thought that would’ve been funny!”

 

A slight pause before he answers.

 

“The kid is here,” He says. “The one we brought in two years ago.”

 

“Yeah,” She says hesitantly. “I would hope so. We lost good people because of him.”

 

Silence again.

 

“We made a mistake bringing him here, Alex,” He says.

 

She huffs a laugh. “God damn. They weren’t kidding! You really have lost your shit if you feel bad for that killer!”

 

I wince at that and grab a fistful of my tank top.

 

I don’t know who this lady is but I don’t like her.

 

“We did attack first, Alex,” Henson says.

 

Damn right they did!

 

I think.

 

“We weren’t trying to kill him!” She shouts. “We had orders. It was never up to us to pick and choose who we brought in.”

 

I jump at the right in her voice.

 

Now I feel like I should leave.

 

I already know I’m a shitty person. I don’t exactly need more reminders. The voices do enough of that.

 

I want to run away but at the same time, I know I’d have to make the walk back again.

 

Plus the news about a mission to chase someone down is interesting.

 

“He’s supposed to show up a bit,” Henson says. “I’ll call you later. He’s working with us now, so we need to get along somehow.”

 

She scoffs. “This idea of yours was the stupidest thing you’ve ever done. Still, I owe you my life but that doesn’t mean I won’t complain along the way!”

 

I hear him laugh and I take that as my cue to walk in.

 

He jumps when he sees me and quickly closes the call.

 

Her face was on the screen for a second but sadly I didn't recognize her at all.

 

“Sit,” He says in a stern voice.

 

I sigh as I slip into the chair.

 

“We need to talk about yesterday,” He says. “You have explanation for me?”

 

I give a confused look and shrug. “I have no idea what you’re talking about!”

 

He narrows his eyes at me.

 

“You beat a man’s face until it was a bloody mess! What else could it be?”

 

I wave it off. “There wasn’t any blood! It was those fancy blue sparks! It was like I was beating a robot piñata. Also, he wasn’t real!”

 

His brow furrows and he glances at his holoscreen.

 

“That was definitely not what everyone saw, Zafiro,” He says. “We saw what looked like a human getting his head bashed in. It was gruesome to watch and now everyone in the squad is going to be scared you’ll do the same to them.”

 

“I-I wouldn’t,” I say, suddenly feeling very scared.

 

I don’t want to be left alone again!

 

“Are you sure you can handle this,” He asks. “We can’t handle mistakes in the middle of a mission if you lose yourself like that again.”

 

I find myself fighting back tears just thinking about how everyone will think I’m a freak and stay away.

 

“I promise I can do it,” I quickly get out. “It won't happen again!”

 

Officer Henson gives me a long stare as if to check if I’m lying…or maybe to see if I really am that crazy.

 

I honestly thought it was part of the program!

 

I thought maybe they were androids or something!

 

“Alright,” He says. “I’ll give you only one chance. I don’t want to risk your life or anyone else’s. Got it?”

 

I nod and grip onto the armrests of the chair.

 

“You can come back for training tomorrow,” He says. “I already wanted you on the team, but now you need to be ready to work with one. I know you used to work by yourself down there, but from here on out, you need to look out for your teammates as well.”

 

After that he sends me out of his office.

 

Surely he would’ve told me if there was any news on someone to get rid of the voices?

 

I don’t even know if it’s just the voices now. Seeing things that aren’t there is a whole other scary thing on the list.

 

I mean I guess that has been happening longer than the voices right?

 

I remember when I found Piggy’s body and my mind had mistaken it for a chair.

 

My chest aches thinking about that day and I quickly force myself to think about something else.

 

Maybe a visit to Maksim would do me well.

 

I haven’t seen him in awhile thanks to the new squad stuff.

 

It would probably be best to check up on Gus too.

 

Making my way there, I see a few stares sent my way.

 

Some guys even scurry along like a scared cat.

 

I suppose I can’t blame them this time. I actually feel bad now about everyone seeing that.

 

I’m not really sure what to make of this honestly.

 

It is definitely scary but I swear I wouldn’t hurt someone I know!

 

I mean I haven’t had the urge to at least.

 

I think?

 

I’m not sure if I have in the past.

 

Maybe they deserved it!

 

“Idiot.”

 

I smile and keep moving.

 

When I find Maksim’s cell, I see he is playing chess with Gus.

 

I settle in next to Maksim.

 

He hovers a hand over a chess piece and stares in thought.

 

Gus nods and smiles to me. “Are you doing alright?”

 

I shrug. “Same as always I guess. Lots of weird new things everyday.”

 

“Like bashing a hologram’s head in,” Maksim asks through a puff of smoke.

 

He moves a pawn and lets Gus make his turn.

 

I sigh and lay out on his bed. “Figures you heard that.”

 

“I hear everything that goes on in this prison,” He says. “Get your feet off my bed. I don’t know where you’ve been!”

 

He nudges my legs off and I groan and sit along the edge.

 

“I don’t feel good though,” I whine and rest my head on his shoulder.

 

Gus chuckles and Maksim says, “When don’t you lately?”

 

I stick my tongue at them and Maksim leans forward to make his next turn.

 

“Apparently I’m still seeing things that aren’t there,” I say and stare at the floor. “It’s becoming a real bitch. I haven’t gotten any updates on a fix for it.”

 

Maksim coughs and looks at me. “You just reminded me. I’ve been having my people look into it as well. Unfortunately it is a bit tricky to find a situation like yours. A lot of doctors don’t believe your case is connected to your brain. They believe it’s from your augments.”

 

I squint at him in confusion. “But I don’t have any!”

 

He shrugs. “Listen kid, I don’t really understand how your mama and papa did this to you, but that booster clearly made things worse.”

 

I frown and cross my arms.

 

“Well what am I supposed to do,” I ask. “Live with this forever?”

 

Maksim shrugs. “I like you the way you are. I don’t see what you need to change.”

 

I go to say something back to that but I come up short. I don’t even know what to say, let alone think!

 

Should I just give in and stop fighting it?

 

“Who says we’re all that bad?”

“Yeah!”

 

“You’re all dicks,” I say in annoyance.

 

How they don’t realize that is beyond me.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

Maksim looks at me. “Watch who you’re talking to, mijo.”

 

“Oh!” I blink and shake my head. “I was talking to the voices. Sorry!”

 

He grunts and moves another piece.

 

Gus gives me a concerned look before concentrating on his game.

 

“Gus,” I say, “Why did Henson want to give you another chance? He sounded like he wanted you to do something different.”

 

I mean I didn’t even know he can move where the glow can be on his body. I can see why he tries to hide it in his pants.

 

His jaw clenches and he shakes his head. “He wants me to hurt people. I don’t want to do that again.”

 

I frown. “Then why did you show up? The squad is bound to hurt people.”

 

He shrugs.

 

Maksim has even paused to listen.

 

“I suppose I thought I would feel like I’m helping people. It doesn’t help that nothing major is going on. We aren’t at war with anyone. We aren’t having big troubles that would need a group with abilities. It felt like we were going to be used simply to put more power into U.U.P.P.”

 

I nod along.

 

Maybe he’s right.

 

Yes, I heard we’re supposed to snatch up some guy maybe from Henson’s phone call, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t some small crime nerd.

 

Who knows…maybe the guy has a big plan to destroy the world!

 

Probably wouldn’t send a group of criminals then.

 

I’m not exactly in the headspace to care if the world would be destroyed.

 

“What about Ama?”

“And Tin Can!”

 

Yeah, maybe they’re right.

 

Fucking annoying whenever the voices are right.

 

“Henson wouldn’t be a bitch about it,” I say eventually. It’s probably been a few minutes by now since I last spoke honestly.

 

“He isn’t an asshole like the other officers.”

 

Definitely not like the others.

 

I glare at the floor thinking about Jenkins.

 

Still can’t believe he did that to me.

 

Gus gives me a small smile when I look back up at him.

 

I guess I missed what he said.

 

Starting to realize I zone out a lot more than I thought.

 

Now I feel weird.

 

I don’t really like knowing that even Maksim and Gus know about what happened.

 

Gus has left the room when I went a little crazy!

 

I want to crawl into a hole and never come out.

 

It’s embarrassing!

 

Maybe I need a distraction!

 

After leaving, I decide to head back to my room to grab a swimsuit.

 

I eye the bed and freeze when I see the punching bag has been replaced.

 

Who the hell did that?

 

That was fast.

 

I didn’t even complain about it yet…or did I?

 

Shrugging, I head on over to the pool.

 

Some peace and quiet would be helpful I think.

 

Turning my brain off would be wonderful right now. Too many thoughts are bouncing around that are a little louder than the voices. It’s freaking me out and I want it to stop.

 

I strip by the side of the pool since once again, nobody is in here.

 

The temptation to simply stay naked arrives but it’s probably best I don’t.

 

Who knows? Maybe this’ll be the day someone else joins me.

 

“Definitely not. You’re too much of a danger.”

 

I sigh and quickly slip into the water.

 

Already the boredom of being here is setting in.

 

With the boredom comes the not so nice thoughts.

 

Of course some are about what happened in that box.

 

A box within a box!

 

Eh, that's dumb.

 

“Like you!”

 

I roll my eyes and smile at that.

 

I can’t really say they were wrong on that one.

 

I sit on the steps of the pool and my head on the handlebar.

 

Now I’m wondering what that mission could be.

 

Chasing some guy seems a bit of a waste on us right? I mean U.U.P.P. used to chase me down so I don’t see how any of us would be needed.

 

Sure I could outrun them most of the time but they eventually got me!

 

Two years ago.

 

Well a bit earlier than that I guess. I did go to two other prisons before on Earth.

 

God that’s weird to think about.

 

Don’t think about it. Think about the mission!

 

So we’re chasing a guy. Well, maybe not chasing but probably breaking in and capturing.

 

Surely a whole squad isn’t needed for that.

 

I narrow my eyes thinking that.

 

Now that is rather weird.

 

Maybe we’re splitting into smaller groups? I’m not sure. It’s definitely weird for sure.

 

Oh wait they are for sure splitting us up.

 

I’m pretty sure they’ll be using me to sneak into places like I used to before.

 

That’ll be weird.

 

I mean somewhat nostalgic I suppose but it will have that added layer of scary with more dangerous areas I normally would avoid.

 

Perhaps the most dangerous place I ever went into before was that museum where Tin Can had turned it into a mini fortress with lasers and everything!

 

That was pretty fun though. Maybe this whole experience will be enjoyable!

 

It’ll maybe help my mind not be so depressing.

 

Doing missions instead of sitting around thinking about what could have been if I changed life choices would be wonderful!

 

Nope don’t start again!

 

Think of the mission?

 

Eh, not much else to think about there I guess. All I can do is wait for when Henson tells us…if he does.

 

Not wanting to simply sit and do nothing, I push myself to do a few laps in the pool.

 

I go until my arms and legs feel a little tired.

 

Now I wonder how swimming is for Charlie and Anjak. They must be super fast! I imagine deadly with Anjak.

 

I smile thinking about his little antics the other day.

 

He’s one tease.

 

Definitely my type.

 

His dicks are scary though.

 

Still…I do love the idea of being with a guy who is fully capable of killing someone easily.

 

Probably not a good thing honestly.

 

After awhile I think I’ve had enough.

 

The peace in my mind doesn’t come and so it’s time to move on to bed.

 

Hopefully things will change for the better

 

~~~

 

The next day

 

Officer Henson

 

I have seen some of my officers to bring in the ones who officially made it onto the team.

 

We had a good bunch of volunteers but this is meant to be a small group that works behind the scenes in larger scale missions.

 

Let’s say a large squadron is to take over a city overrun by invading aliens. While the larger group will take care of the army and protect the citizens, the Moon Squad will be deep behind the lines trying to cut the head of the beast.

 

Obviously nothing like that will be happening anytime soon, but for now we will be working on the team’s synergy.

 

A nice bonus to this group is the many abilities that can be used.

 

How they can work together, we shall see.

 

The Moon Squad will hold seven members.

 

Anjak, Charlie, Zee, Gus, Dinoyo, and a human who was just brought into the prison two days ago.

 

Those are for sure getting on the team.

 

The new guy is named Wade.

 

He has a particularly useful augment that allows him to shapeshift into anyone.

 

Well…mainly humans.

 

It was particularly impressive to see him turn into me when I had passed by his cell.

 

Last but not least is of course, Zafiro.

 

I keep bouncing back and forth with letting him be a part of this.

 

Honestly it’s a huge risk bringing him in. He’s a bit of a wildcard from what I’ve seen. Not only from the box too.

 

I saw his punching bag on the wall was ruined and had to be replaced.

 

Some gloves might need to be delivered as well.

 

At least officers will listen to me when I tell them to take care of my people.

 

They still tend to keep away from Zafiro now which is fine.

 

It’s because so many have become scared of him now, I have no idea if tagging him along is a good idea.

 

Most of his friends are in here of course but it doesn’t help that the entire prison tries to steer clear of him. That can’t be helpful in the slightest with his little situation.

 

At first when I wrote down my new members, higher ups were quick to point out his reputation here.

 

To that I say…they’re all criminals.

 

Also when I mentioned how I put in an order for a doctor to help in some way, all I got in answer was silence.

 

Looks like that’s their answer in how they won’t question him again.

 

I clear my throat when they begin to come into the room.

 

It is a lot quieter now with so many being kicked out.

 

Charlie, Gus, and Zee show up first.

 

That’s fairly normal.

 

I wish they would bring Zafiro with them since he’s always late.

 

Anjak shows up freshened up from a shower unless that was from the pool in his cell.

 

Dinoyo and Wade come in with food which I make them save for later.

 

Eventually Zafiro walks in.

 

A few of the others look surprised he was chosen but they get over it quickly.

 

“Congratulations,” I say. “You are official members of the Moon Squadron!”

 

Some sarcastic cheers are what I get in answer.

 

I smirk and continue.

 

“We have been given a mission to track down and capture or kill a man called the Burn.”

 

A few snorts at the name.

 

“U.U.P.P. has gathered some evidence that he may try to attack one of the sectors. Normally others would take care of this but this is supposed to be a test for if this squad will work. You’re the first of your kind to specifically be brought in for your abilities.”

 

Charlie raises his hand. “Do we know where he’s staying right now?”

 

I shake my head. “No, not yet. Our first part of this mission will be breaking into what we believe was a small factory he was using to gather parts for his gadgets.”

 

A few whispers among themselves.

 

I clear my throat to silence them.

 

“Starting tomorrow, we will begin proper training with combat at the forefront to work on. We will train until we are to be deployed. It will begin in the morning. Do not be late.”

 

I say that last sentence while staring down Zafiro.

 

He only stares ahead as if he is hypnotized.

 

I let them go back to their cells to relax before the real hard work starts.

 

Taking a deep breath, I head back to my office.

 

Let’s hope things will work out perfectly. This can really help U.U.P.P. for the future of security on this planet!

 

Something as simple as this mission should go off without a hitch.

Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

43 minutes ago, VBlew said:

It’s good Zafiro made the team!

Your comments are really nice motivation for writing haha wanted to thank you for it!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..