Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,243 Words
  • 336 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - 7. New Rules

Zafiro

 

Waking up today was a pleasant change.

 

I actually had a good night's sleep after so long. I suppose a good fuck was what I needed.

 

Somehow feeling myself wanting more and to go again.

 

I had to go back to my cell last night obviously. As risky as it was to do it in Zee’s place, I still can’t be called missing from mine. They would definitely bring attention.

 

Yawning, I stretch and turn on my music.

 

Wow! I didn’t even have it on last night! I went straight to sleep!

 

However I missed dinner and now I’m starving.

 

“You’re cheating on Tin Can!”

“Yeah we love him!”

“We aren’t even dating him! It’s not cheating!”

 

I wince and grab at my head.

 

They got extremely loud out of nowhere!

 

Fuck my head!

 

Leaning against the wall, I barely hear myself whine as the world turns red.

 

The walls of my cell ripple as if something had disturbed the waters.

 

I gasp as posters and fairy lights appear out of thin air.

 

The lights are placed on all walls where they meet the ceiling. One wall has a design made where the lights make the image of a rocket in space. Their bright lights fight for dominance with the red in the world.

 

Posters of cute animals appear in some spots. Some are full on pictures of Laneer and Yinx!

 

What the fuck is happening?

 

I shrink down to the ground and plant my hands on the ground.

 

It feels hard to breathe and I try and take slow, deep breaths.

 

I jump when more tattoos appear on my left hand. There are vines and barbed wire planted in my skin. They wind around my wrist, across the top of my hand and then leads to my pointer finger.

 

Fuck not again! I don’t want anymore!

 

The voices get louder and louder.

 

“Why won’t he move on!”

“He’s trying to forget again.”

“Coward!”

 

I am about to yell at them to shut up and leave me alone but a set of hands picks up!

 

Instantly the red goes away and I am face to face with the angry man who captured me.

 

He’s got one hand on my back and makes a motion for me to breathe.

 

The world sounds muffled right now. My music sounds like I’m underneath the pool.

 

It scares me and all I can do is concentrate on this man.

 

Trying my best to breathe and exhale like him, my hand latches onto his shoulder. I’m shaking so much that I can barely stay still.

 

His hand moves from my back to rest over my hand.

 

“It’s alright,” I hear his voice say. It sounds as if he is far in the distance. “You got this. Just keep breathing. You’re okay!”

 

I nod at his words and keep breathing until the muffled noise goes away.

 

Eventually I feel fine. Not as panicked or scared.

 

Looking around my cell, I almost get right back into panic mode.


That shit is still in here!

 

Even the new tattoo is casually stuck in my life like the other one!

 

The man looks at me with concern.

 

Wasn’t this asshole angry with me the last he saw me?

 

“What’s going on with you,” He asks. “Got any issues I can help with?”

 

I scoff at him.

 

This feels highly suspicious.

 

I sigh and give him an annoyed look. “And you care because?”

 

I’m already rather embarrassed he saw me like that. I don’t exactly need him to talk about it.

 

He tries to speak but I raise my hand to stop him. “Actually let's just pretend you saw nothing. I’d prefer if we left it alone.”

 

The man has a frown still and shakes his head. “I’m afraid I can’t do that. You’re officially under my care and I need to make sure my team is at one hundred percent.”

 

I narrow my eyes at him.

 

“You’re joking right,” I ask. “I’m stuck in prison. I don’t know what the hell you need a team for but I’d rather stay here thank you very much.”

 

He lets out a small chuckle. “I’m afraid you have no choice in the matter.”

 

Scoffing at him, I turn away.

 

I’m aware I look childish but whatever!

 

“Once again someone with power has to take advantage,” I say while crossing my arms. “Here I thought I dealt with assholes like that for a while. I don’t even know your name!”

 

He shrugs. “Well you may call me Henson. Officer Henson. Atticus if you’re feeling friendly.”

 

I shake my head. “As if that’s ever gonna happen. You brought me here!”

 

Henson steps back towards the door. “I would’ve thought after all this time you wouldn’t be so bitter.”

 

Now I’m confused. “Sir you were giving me all types of pissed off looks the other day.”

 

He raises an eyebrow at me but doesn’t push it.

 

“Meet in the gymnasium later today.”

 

He walks off.

 

We have a gymnasium?

 

~~~

 

As I’m sitting in my cell waiting for Officer Jenkins to show up and take me to the gym, I have to sit and stew in my guilty feelings.

 

It did get a bit scary there. I guess it was nice that Henson came over to help.

 

Pursing my lips, I sigh and fall flat on the bed.

 

So perhaps the guilt is eating at me more than I thought it would.

 

I feel like shit and like a cheater.

 

Yet I’m not a cheater! We never confirmed anything or made anything official!

 

Right?

 

Now I can’t help double thinking about every word he said.

 

Well at least the ones I remember.

 

I know he wanted me to be with him in the end but I couldn’t. I was given a time limit to say my goodbyes before I would inevitably be taken in.

 

It was a warning from Mama. She’s the one who told me they knew where I was.

 

Of course I went to see Tin Can.

 

A lot of things happened in that goodbye. Things were said that changed everything. Things that revealed ways life coulda been if I wasn’t so stupid.

 

I sigh and rub at my eyes.

 

Next time I see Tin Can I need to tell him. We need to have this talk about how things are going to go in here.

 

I’m supposed to be here for a long, long time.

 

I don’t even know if I’ll be able to touch him again!

 

He seemed to understand that things might not work out with me stuck in here, but I don’t know. He still had that spark of hope in him.

 

Maybe it’s not entirely him I’m sad about.

 

Part of me still wants to be with him if I get out of here.

 

Sadly that seems highly unlikely.

 

Turning to my side, I curl up on my bed and hug myself.

 

Now I’m feeling rather lonely and wanting to be in Roy’s house right now. All bundled up in his bed.

 

Sighing, I stand up and stretch.

 

Just need to not think about it.

 

It used to be easy to ignore all my problems before on earth. I suppose being stuck in one place is something I never did down there.

 

One thing is for certain.

 

I’m not fucking around anymore until I talk to Tin Can.

 

It feels a bit silly but I need that closure. If it’ll be that.

 

If it becomes good news and we really make it official…looks like I’m hacking my replicator for some toys!

 

If it’s bad, well…I might get a bit too bummed to keep seeing Zee for a good while.

 

A knock on my cell pulls me from those thoughts and Jenkins is waiting with cuffs in his hands.

 

He leads me through the halls of the prison.

 

It’s in the section near the visitation room so I haven’t seen much over here.

 

There aren’t many officers around and no inmates.

 

At first I think I must’ve forgotten it was visitation day but then we enter a new door that opens to a pretty big gym.

 

Officer Henson is there along with a few other officers.

 

A handful of inmates are present.

 

Charlie, Gus, and Zee are here. Alongside Anjak, a man whose top half of his body is floating an inch above his bottom half, another who I’ve seen turn invisible like a chameleon when he stands still, and what looks like a giant cyborg dude.

 

Perhaps the only skin on his body is the top half of his face. Ending at his jawline.

 

He looks fairly normal until you notice the lines along his skin. That was the giveaway for me.

Interesting group of people here.

 

“Welcome,” Henson nods to me and motions for me to take a seat next to him.

 

At the moment, everyone is gathered around in chairs.

 

Hesitantly I take my seat.

 

Is this some kind of weird therapy session?

 

“Alright,” Henson claps. “We’re all here. As of today, you are all a part of our new undercover squadron.”

 

Ah well this is quite an interesting take to therapy!

 

Everyone looks very confused.

 

Here I thought this would’ve been the most boring years of my life.

 

So weird.

 

Zee is the first one to speak up.

 

“Uh…why?” He motions to all of us before saying, “We’re all criminals! People Earth closed the doors on. Why would we want to join something like this?”

 

I purse my lips and nod along. I suppose I should’ve thought the same thing immediately.

 

Perhaps that shows I’m really not all here to be making decisions for stuff like this.

 

Henson makes a table rise out of the ground between us all.

 

Somehow he had managed to line us up perfectly so that nobody gets lifted up with the table.

 

Henson waves it off like it’s nothing. “You all are exactly what U.U.P.P. needs. Your special abilities will give us the upperhand in handling situations where a regular officer would struggle.”

 

I raise an eyebrow at that.

 

“Upper hand in what exactly,” I ask. “We aren’t exactly at war with anyone at the moment. Firelight is pretty much gone now.”

 

Henson shrugs. “At the moment, the less you know the better. Information will come overtime on missions and the more time we can tell we can trust you all. As of right now, none of you are the least bit on U.U.P.P.’s good side.”

 

I roll my eyes and shake my head.

 

After everything I went through planetside, I don’t exactly like not knowing what I’m being told to take care of. It got me in trouble.

 

I hug myself as everyone asks questions about this whole thing.

 

My back is hurting with aches again where the wings came through.

 

“As of right now,” Henson’s voice picks up, “You are all at the top of the list with being our main squadron. If you do not wish to join, it will immediately be offered to someone else and the offer will never be given again.”

 

A few of the others look at each other. Possibly checking to see who would want to join this shit.

 

I pull my legs up onto my chair and rest my head on my knees.

 

Not really caring, I say, “I’m in.”

 

Henson looks at me in surprise.

 

“I haven’t even told you the benefits from doing this,” He says.

 

I shrug. “I don’t have much else to do.”

 

Zee stares at me with a frown.

 

“I’m in too,” He says.

 

Charlie and Gus are quick to join him.

 

Soon everyone in the circle has announced their agreement to join.

 

Henson sighs. “I can see why you’re all in here I suppose.”

 

I scoff at that.

 

As if everyone is rightfully here.

 

“Well,” He says. “What I was going to say was that each mission will gain favor with U.U.P.P. and eventually allow you to remove your sentences.”

 

Lots of surprised looks on everyone's faces. Except me.

 

I honestly don’t believe it. Nor want it I suppose.

 

I can already see what they are trying to do with all these augmented humans and aliens.

 

They are trying to make a full squad of that one Alentian.

 

U.U.P.P. must miss their little catboy.

 

Why would they want to lose a full squad? Freedom will most likely always be barely out of reach.

 

Henson jumps in before everyone starts talking over each other with the chance to be free.

 

“Now with this comes new rules,” He says. “I’ll be your Director so if you need anything, you’ll speak with me. If you need help, don’t hesitate to ask.”

 

He says that while looking at me.

 

I look away.

 

“I’ll also be in charge of keeping you all fit and ready for these missions so don’t expect to laze about in your cells.”

 

A few groans of annoyance.

 

“Be on your best behavior or you’re out,” He says. “You only get one chance and then you’re cut off.”

 

Yeah good luck with that!

 

“We will be meeting here every other day starting tomorrow at noon. I’ll see you all in eighteen hours.”

 

With that, everyone is free to leave again.

 

Before we leave however, we are all given a wristband that gives us access to the halls that come to this section of the prison.

 

We can’t wander here whenever we want. There is a set timer for what time of day they will work.

 

Sadly before I can leave, Henson calls for me to stay.

 

A few of the other guys decide to act like children and act all shocked like I’m in trouble and headed to the principal's office.

 

Sighing, I head back and flop onto one of the chairs in front of Henson.

 

He makes sure all the others have left before speaking.

 

“You doing alright,” He asks. “Feeling better after this morning?”

 

I frown. “I’m fine. I told you to forget it happened.”

 

He shakes his head. “Unfortunately for you, you are now under my supervision. I need all my crew to be in tip top shape.”

 

I huff out a small laugh. “If you read my file, you would know that isn’t exactly ever gonna happen.”

 

He shrugs. “Doesn’t mean I can’t help you with that.”

 

I narrow my eyes at him. “Why are you being nice to me? I killed some of your old squad. I remember that at least from that night.”

 

Henson leans back in his chair and looks at the ground.

 

I swear to god if he starts crying, I’m gonna be pissed.

 

I just wanna go back to my cell now!

 

I’m already stressed out enough with thinking about Tin Can.

 

“I did hate you for it at first,” He said. “Hated you until I saw you this morning.”

 

Well…love hearing that!

 

“Why’d you stop,” I ask, somehow feeling a bit hurt from this stranger.

 

He sighs and looks up at me. “I saw that I brought in a kid. Not just any kid. A kid with some serious issues.”

 

Can’t really help giving him a look of annoyance at that.

 

“I saw you in pain,” he said. “Clearly something more is happening to you. Your file says you’re hearing voices but I’m pretty sure there’s more going on than what you’re telling people.”

 

Now I feel like a spotlight is on me with a whole audience staring me down.

 

My hands twitch and feel all clammy.

 

“It made me feel bad I brought you into this place,” He says. “Clearly you don’t know what you’re doing. Because of that, I would like to take care of you and help you in any way I can. You can talk to me about anything you want and I’ll do what I can to help fix things.”

 

Fuck my eyes are getting watery again.

 

Looking away so he can’t see it, I blink the moisture away and take a deep breath.

 

“That won’t be necessary,” I say. “I’ll be fine. I’ve managed to do things on my own before. I can keep doing it now.”

 

Henson doesn’t look convinced.

 

He simply nods and stands. “Well the offer is always there. Don’t feel bad about reaching out.”

 

Taking that as my go to leave, I stand and leave the room.

 

Before I walk past the door, I pause.

 

Looking at him over my shoulder, I quickly let out a small thanks and get moving.

 

Well this wasn’t at all what I was expecting today.

 

Lots of things to think about.

 

How crazy it is that the one who captured me noticed things barely anyone has noticed before.

 

The only one I can think of is Zee and I suppose Maksim.

 

Strangers somehow know me more than my own family.

 

Not entirely their fault I suppose. I did hide it as much as I could.

 

Still, it’s a surprise that all my friends up here can spot when I’m not feeling good.

 

Maybe I should talk to Tin Can about that. He’s constantly worried about me in here. Maybe letting him know there are people looking out for me will calm him down.

 

Not that I will be having little therapy sessions with them anytime soon.

 

The fact Henson knew so much about me after only meeting me twice is shocking.

 

How did he know so much?

 

These thoughts are a nice distraction from the guilt with Tin Can and Zee.

 

As I think that, the guilt comes back twofold.

 

Reaching my cell, I lay back on the bed.

 

Thoughts of what to tell Tin Can bounce around in my head.

 

“Tell him you’re sorry!”

“Obviously we’re doing that, you idiot.”

“Should maybe tell him it’s lonely in here.”

“Or tell him things aren’t going to work out. We’re stuck in here!”

“Yeah I suppose you’re right.”

“Don’t most prison romances end quickly?”

“Will he be mad if we end it all here?”

“But we could be free soon! The new squadron!”

“Pfft! As if they are ever setting us all free.”

“Y-yeah…maybe you’re right.”

 

I stare off at the wall as the thoughts consume my mind.

 

I don’t know what I’m going to do.

Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 hours ago, Hellsheild said:

So...is he the Harley Quinn of this now Suicide Squad?Dc Comics GIF by mtv

When I first made him, Harley and Catwoman were def inspirations hehe

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..