Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,670 Words
  • 468 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - 2. The Handful

Two days before Zafiro was sent to the moon

 

Atticus Henson

 

Today we have been assigned with capturing some thief on Earth.

 

Apparently our great leaders of the United Universal Peace Protection think it best that we spend resources and men on…some son of a gang leader.

 

Lovely money spent I guess.

 

At the moment, me and a few of my soldiers are camped out around a nightclub. We had gotten word that Arturo would be celebrating his son’s return from breaking out of the prison again.

 

Now we are settled in and waiting for what might have been false information but it is the best we’ve got.

 

It’s no joke that this city is run by criminals but it looks like the only important thing U.U.P.P. cares about in this city is a little thief who killed someone on many holovids in the galaxy.

 

Ever since that day, they stopped live streaming our missions.

 

Lucky for them, they happened to cut the cameras before that one alien, Mekaias, had saved the thief.

 

The higher ups were pissed when they heard that!

 

So pissed in fact that they sent us to snatch that same thief up.

 

This nightclub is very crowded and lively. Music blasts from inside and lights dance from the windows and even the entrance. Neon colors change with the beat of the music. The ground even shakes from said music.

 

It’s quite annoying.

 

This area looks like shit so the fact so many people are coming here is a bit of a shock. Cars keep down the road and parking nearby to get inside.

 

Not sure if it is for the party or if it is simply another night as usual.

 

A beep goes off before a voice talks through the speakers.

 

“Not seeing him yet,” Alex says. “Any sign of his arrival yet? Starting to get a headache here.”

 

I chuckle at her words. The girl blasts music in her headphones all the time. I’m sure she feels right at home.

 

“Nothing yet,” I say. “I’ll let you all know as soon as we see him.”

 

Watching the cameras, I see her lounging by the bar with a glass of water in her hand.

 

There are six people in there right now. Ten more out here ready to move in as soon as the time is right.

 

It’s going to be one mess of a fight tonight.

 

Hopefully the civilians here will manage to get out before it all goes down.

 

“Folks are starting to get more wild in here,” Alex says. “I think they must be on their way. Seeing more of those red colors in the crowd. They are even setting up an area up top.”

 

Checking the cameras, I see she’s right. Some of Arturo’s men are helping the staff set up a spot overlooking the place. Sadly it’s a little hard to see with a diamond chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Lights shine into it which happens to make the camera useless at times.

 

A real bitch right there.

“I see that,” I say. “Stay patient and be careful not to stare at them too long. Also, keep weapons on stun people. Don’t want any more paperwork for me tomorrow morning. Go easy on me.”

 

A couple of soft chuckles all around.

 

Ah shit.

 

“Heads up,” I see, looking out the back window of the truck. “It’s looking like they have just arrived.”

 

A line of cars lead a limo to the front of the club.

 

A few people in red suits or dresses come out of these cars. A few have dates tonight it seems.

 

Each car delivers their people and moves on for the next to come out.

 

My eyes don’t leave that Limo.

 

If the people in red weren’t a giveaway, the red lights glowing beneath that limo sure are.

 

The only reason my eyes move from it is when I notice a man adjust his coat. They’ve got guns on them.

 

“Some, if not all, are armed,” I quickly say to everyone. “Watch yourselves. We’ll be right in as soon as things start.”

 

“No worries, bossman,” Alex says, sipping her drink next to another squadmate.

 

Cheers draw my attention to that limo again. I watch the giant green man step out of the limo. He’s laughing loud and hugs one of his men before he turns to the open door, pushing him towards it.

 

The guy reaches his hand out and a hand is placed on his.

 

“We’ve got eyes on him,” I say as Zafiro steps.

 

He beams up and nods to the man who helped him out and walks past him for Arturo.

 

Like everyone else, they are dressed up for the occasion.

 

Zafiro doesn’t really wear a suit or red however.

 

The boy has a fluffy black coat that hangs off his shoulders. Underneath it he wears a shiny dark blue crop top with skin-tight black leather pants and some black boots.

 

I suppose it’s a small benefit we won’t have to worry about him using his special suit to mess things up again.

 

“Not sure if he’s armed or not,” I say. “Could be under his coat.”

 

It covers his hips so I can’t tell if he’s got anything strapped to him.

 

“Roof team, we’ll be going in soon so be ready.”

 

After that, I quickly double check that everyone inside is alright and that I’m ready. Things are about to get dirty.

 

~~~

 

Zafiro

 

“C’mon now that’s my son right there,” Arturo booms with a laugh as he nudges poor Diego towards me.

 

Diego blushes red and offers his hand to me.

 

I smile and chuckle as I use his hand to get out of the limo.

 

He gets props for not sweating bullets right now!

“Here I am free again and already you want to sell me off?” I say teasingly with a punch to Arturo’s arm, already leaving the guy behind us.

 

He chuckles and leads the way. “Can’t have anyone slacking now can we?”

 

I roll my eyes and sigh.

 

As cool as it is to be out here with the guy revealed to be my dad, I kinda wish I was with Tin can right now.

 

The first time I got out, I went to Roy’s house. We had a small chat but I told him I couldn’t stay with him.

 

Unfortunately, I had a tracker placed on my shoulder at the time. U.U.P.P. were quick to snatch me up after our goodbyes.

 

The voices were close enough to convince me that maybe he called them on me, but then I quickly made sure that wasn’t gonna mess up my brain too much.

 

My next attempt to escape, I made sure to cut that shit out of me.

 

Knowing that they saw me at Tin Can's house, I figured it best that I keep away from there or they would get me again.

 

So here I am. I went for Arturo since I didn’t know where else to go.

 

I suppose I could’ve gone to Ama’s house but I didn’t really want to be a burden on her.

 

There was also Mama…yeah fuck that shit.

 

Headed to a fun party already is leagues better than whatever Mama woulda done!

 

The music blasting from inside drowns out the voices and it feels like I can finally think in my own brain!

 

I haven’t felt this good in so long!

 

Already I find myself wanting to dance with the music!

 

When we walk past the doors, sparkling lights and lazers dance and move around the building. A beautiful, shining chandelier sparkles with all kinds of colors from the lights below.

 

It looks awfully familiar.

 

Maybe I got it from a job before? I’m not sure.

 

Being here makes me think of Piggy and Vero.

 

I swear the lights go red when I think of them at that moment.

 

Sometimes I wonder just how different things would be if they were still here. Would I be here with Arturo? Would I have gotten closer with Tin can? Would I have found my mama or even killed Cody?

 

Who knows? It only makes me sad to think about it.

 

Funny thing about this is that I used to hate how loud the club music was back then. Now I want it to always block these obnoxious voices.

 

“Hey you,” Arturo claps my shoulder and smiles at me. “Don’t go getting sad on me now. We’re supposed to celebrate! I’m sure you’ll see your little boytoy in no time!”

 

I smile and shrug. “I suppose you’re right. Just know I don’t push any guy at me tonight. It’s weird as hell.”

 

He chuckles and nods. “Deal!”

 

He leads the way through the dancefloor to some stairs that lead to a little VIP section.

 

It looks like a small room floating above the place! The top half of walls are gone so we can look down at everyone.

 

It’s kinda neat. Plus it gives an especially nice and closer view of the chandelier.

 

While it’s cool that Arturo set this all up, I don’t know any of his little minions. They all mean nothing to me.

 

Diego was cute and all but I don’t want him. I want Roy.

 

I already know that can’t happen though. Not for a long time if I want to keep him safe. The last thing I want is to get him in trouble.

 

I’m offered a drink which I accept, though…I don’t really drink it.

 

I stand by the edge and watch over the dance floor. I close my eyes and enjoy the silence in my head.

 

“Zaf, do we need to talk?” Arturo comes up to my side and for once has a look of concern on his face.

 

I smile at him. “You don’t have to try and act like a dad with me. It doesn’t really suit you.”

 

He narrows his eyes at me. “Ouch. That kind of hurts to hear. Sorry kid, fact is I am your dad and I want to act like it. Your mother kept you hidden from me so I would like to finally be that father figure you always needed.”

 

I sigh and lean against the railing? Halfwall? What do you even call this?

 

“Can we not talk about this,” I ask, already wanting to leave.

 

“We should,” He says, placing his hand on my shoulder. His hand is so big it practically goes over my back too. “Clearly you’ve got some issues going on and you should let me help in any way that I can.”

 

I smack his hand away.

 

I stand up straight and turn to him. “First of all, don’t touch me. Second of all, I don’t need a ‘father figure’ or any of that shit. I don’t need you. I sure as hell don’t think you would be a good one, whatever that is. You brought me to a party and tried to sell me out to one of your little henchmen. I think I’ll be fine without a dad doing that.”

 

He frowns and stands there in silence for a moment.

 

It’s kinda awkward with the upbeat music playing right now.

 

“Won’t you give me a chance at least,” He says.

 

I shake my head. “Hard pass.”

 

That definitely hurt him. His face drops but he sighs and nods.

 

“Fine,” He takes a breath and puts on a smile. “Then I’ll treat you like one of my own. Unfortunately for you, I treat them like family.”

 

I roll my eyes and he laughs and wraps an arm around my shoulder to lead me to the couch.

 

“Come,” He says as he pulls out a bag before pulling out random bottles of alcohol from it. “Let us celebrate!”

 

~~~

 

Henson

 

“Alright,” I say. “Let's get him. Remember, try not to get killed!”

 

A bunch of laughs at that.

 

Yeah everyone doesn’t really feel like this will be such a struggle. Sure the gang is here but clearly they aren’t exactly prepared for an attack right now.

 

Not to mention we’ve got gear to keep us safe if they fight back.

 

From what little I’ve seen, the kid is more of a runner than a fighter. He won’t be a problem.

 

The only one I’m worried about is his father.

 

That man has a lot of augments and that could be a problem.

 

Sadly he isn’t on the list to be brought in.

 

Leaving the truck with two others, me and my squad from the outside begin our move.

 

The bouncers out front put their hands in the air as soon as they see our uniforms.

 

“Move it,” I yell, my gun at the ready. “Get out of here!”

 

I can hear screaming coming from the inside now.

 

Quickly I get inside before the swarm of civilians make their way through the few exits in this building.

 

Hugging the side, I let them all run past me.

 

I want this to be nice and easy. Least amount of trouble we can get.

 

I can’t see the target from here but I know he is trapped in their little box. It’s like he has been offered right into our hands.

 

Gunshots can be heard going off now.

 

Our guns don’t sound like that. Shit!

 

“They’re armed,” I hear Alex yell.

 

The last of the clubbers run out and I run in, diving behind a knocked over table for cover.

 

“Fuck off out of here,” I hear a man yell before more gunfire follows.

 

Well this got a lot harder than we thought it would be.

 

“Zafiro, quit lollygagging and get to cover!”

 

I narrow my eyes in confusion hearing that.

 

Chancing a peak at that, I see the target on top of the table up there. He is laying on the table drinking from a glass as if there isn’t a shootout happening.

 

Everyone else up there is using the walls for cover.

 

I take aim at his head, that’ll knock him out real good.

 

Just as I shoot, he lifts his head and downs the rest of his drink, leaning back on his hands on the table.

 

“Dammit, Zaf,” Arturo yells and makes a grab at him. Zafiro only bounces away, standing on the walls of the box.

 

He walks along it, balanced perfectly.

 

How he’s dodging my squads’ shots is crazy to me.

 

The kid makes a leap over the gap for the entrance of the floating room but he gets grabbed in the middle of the air from Arturo.

 

Frowning, I get back under cover.

 

Something is weird about this kid for sure.

 

Music starts blasting suddenly. Someone must’ve hit a button to start it up again. Fuck is it loud!

 

“Sir, we’re pinned down up here,” my squad says in my ear.

 

Pressing my finger to my mic, I say “Just hold down the exits. Whatever you do, keep the target from getting out of here!”

 

“Zafiro, I swear to all that is holy!”

 

Looking back over, I see Zafiro on the table. He’s thrown his coat off and dances to the music.

 

Now I’m certain he’s crazy.

 

“Fucking idiot! If you’re gonna be out there then take these!”

 

Arturo grabs a bag from the table and pulls out two guns.

 

He tosses them up to Zafiro.

 

Just as Zafiro catches them, the beat drops and gets louder.

 

He leaps into the air, doing a flip before he hooks his legs onto the chandelier. It spins around over the dancefloor and he begins raining bullets down on us.

 

“Fuck!” I yell, “Everyone get down!”

 

How the hell are these bullets coming out so fast?

 

Parts of my table are being shot off!

 

Cursing under my breath, I quickly roll behind a small wall holding a long pot of plants.

 

As I roll over, a bullet grazes my shoulder and I hiss through my teeth.

 

Shit!

 

Checking over by the bar, my eyes widen when I see a squadmate’s body hanging over the counter.

 

I can’t even tell who it is with all those bullet holes.

 

What the hell is this kid? This isn’t normal at all!

 

A mirror has fallen over by the bar, giving me a view of the target.

 

He’s now on top of the chandelier and he’s moving almost as fast as our bullets!

 

He darts this way and that shooting so fast, it’s like a storm of bullets in here around him.. Everytime someone peeks out, he quickly aims for them and fires.

 

Does this kid have some kind of speed demon augment?

 

I suppose I should have known he’d have augments with a father like that.

 

Sliding to the other side of my wall, I check for my squad and see more dead.

 

I’ve counted five now.

 

Fuck this wasn’t supposed to go this south!

 

The only moments of peace is when he has to reload his guns.

 

Did he grab extra rounds when I wasn’t looking? How did I not notice?

 

I jump when a bullet chips off the wall just below my chin.

 

“Listen up,” I say into my mic. “As soon as this fucker stops to reload, we open fire on him? Got it? I don’t care if we hit anyone else up there. All we need is one shot to get him down!”

 

A few yessirs come through. Alex happens to be one of them thankfully.

 

“So much for movie night,” she says in the comms.

 

“Now is not the fucking time for that,” I hiss. “We got some losses in here. Keep your head down. Especially you, Alex. You’re not exactly in the right gear for this.”

 

Moving back to the side with a mirror, I keep an eye on the target.

 

A knee hits me full in the face, knocking me onto my back.

 

A bit dazed, I shake my head and pull out my gun. All I see is Arturo’s back running out the front door with a few henchmen.

 

Fucking dick just left his kid in here!

 

Getting back to the mirror side, I see him finally pause to reload again.

 

That’s when I pop out and fire!

 

A ton of blue light bullets fly for him.

 

The first one hits and he falls off the chandelier.

 

“Fuck!” He shouts midfall.

 

Stepping out of cover, I fire again.

 

He dodges the stream of light blue coming for him but as he hops over a fallen table, another hits him square in the back.

 

The target collapses on his side on the dancefloor.

 

I sigh and lean against the bar counter, taking a breath.

 

The rest of my squad comes out of cover.

 

I nod to the kid, “Take him to the truck.”

 

~~~

 

One day later

 

“You had me sit here to watch you and your crew get their ass handed to them?”

 

It takes a lot not to punch at this asshole. He wouldn't know how hard it is though.

 

Unfortunately he’s my ticket for my idea to come to life. No reason to make this harder.

 

“Exactly,” I say, turning off the camera feed. “Imagine if there was a whole crew of people like him? They would be unstoppable!”

 

Reese Silver shakes his head and sighs. “How are you going to get people to do this? He’s a criminal! Are you going to grab a bunch of criminals and hope they listen? Imagine if the world knew a bunch of criminals with illegal augments are running around saving their asses?”

 

I cross my arms and roll my eyes. “Obviously it would be kept secret. Also, it wouldn’t necessarily have to be humans with augments. We’ve got other lifeforms to choose from too. Imagine if we had something like that Alentian! Obviously he’s off limits but we could find something close maybe. Hell it won't even have to be criminals. I'll accept volunteers! I'm not picky.”

 

He purses his lips in that.

 

Looks like that card worked. I was saving that one. The Alentian no longer working for U.U.P.P. has left a sore mark for them. Of course the idea of replacing that missing spot would be tempting.

 

“I’ll see what I can do,” He says, shrugging. “No promises but maybe they’ll approve of it.”

 

“Thanks,” I smile. “All I ask is to pitch the idea. It’ll mean a lot.”

 

He rolls his eyes. “Are you coming over for dinner? Mom made her special potato soup.”

 

Chuckling at his words, I nod. “Sure I guess I could hop on by to see Aunt Frankie. Did she make her blueberry pie too?"

 

Reese scoffs at me. “God you’re greedy as hell!”

 

It helps having a cousin high up in the U.U.P.P. ranks! I have a good feeling this will finally go through.

Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..