Jump to content
    JujuTheDruid
  • Author
  • 3,432 Words
  • 448 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icebox - 10. Restless Caged Bird

Zafiro

 

It has gotten to the point where I’m starting to convince myself that things in the past never happened.

 

I keep thinking that Cody isn’t dead. Somehow he must be alive and knows I’m up here. Surely planning something just as painful as last time.

 

Yet when I check the holo screens for footage of that night, I see as clear as day that he is dead.

 

I’m surprised they kept the cameras on for so long.

 

Making people see a man choke to death must leave a bad taste in people’s mouths right?

 

God it’s like I’m in some kind of weird dream that has completely flipped sideways.

 

I keep second guessing everything!

 

I’m even freaking out if any of these sweet talks with my friends are real!

 

Fuck man.

 

I sit up in bed and stretch.

 

A new day of ‘training’.

 

Honestly it’s just gym days.

 

I don’t know how this is training for anything.

 

“Because they want to get your hopes up for nothing!”

 

I roll my eyes. “My hopes aren’t up at all. I’m just bored.”

 

“We know that is a lie. You can’t wait to get out of here!”

 

“Now you’re out here trying to force your own lies,” I say.

 

A few of them laugh.

 

They have been getting rather rude lately. I’m not sure what started it but they are being real assholes.

 

A few of the voices bicker with one another but it ends up a mess of words hopping one over the other. I can’t understand anything being said.

 

It’s as I’m leaving my cell that I realize I was talking to them again.

 

It is starting to become very easy to do now which feels a little scary.

 

And a bitch.

 

Not to mention very embarrassing.

 

Everyone keeps looking at me like I’m a freak. When I start talking to the voices they can’t hear, it makes them rather uncomfortable too.

 

Right now, after learning the truth, I’m realizing how fucking weird I am!

 

All these people were already giving me weird looks. Some of them didn’t even care when I would talk to myself before!

 

Small things keep clicking and I feel like shit for being so vulnerable.

 

Sure all this can be considered exciting after how boring things have been, but the dust has started to settle and boredom has come back once again.

 

Of course all this nonsense is important or whatever.

 

None of it changes the fact that I am stuck in here either forever or for a long time.

 

I don’t want to think about these things anymore.

 

Before, I never wanted to think about stuff or how my life was going. Why would I want to start it now?

 

Sure what happened is fucked up, but at the end of the day, I’m probably gonna die in here.

 

I don’t know.

 

I feel weird about everything but also want to ignore it!

 

“Running away as always?”

“What else is new?”

 

“Fuck off,” I say with a roll of my eyes.

 

Somehow I find myself arriving at the fancy gym.

 

Honestly I don’t remember the walk or if I saw anyone I know in the halls.

 

“You should be locked up! How is this safe?”

 

I scoff at that. “As if I’m any danger to anyone here. I have no issues with anyone!”

 

At least I think?

 

Not really sure honestly.

 

“Zafiro, you’re late,” Henson yells from across the floor.

 

I wave it off and yawn.

 

Everyone is in their usual thing of working out. Henson really wanted everyone to get into shape. He couldn’t really work with people who have been sitting in their cells for a long time.

 

I walk over towards Gus and get on the mat to stretch next to him.

 

“Slept in again,” He asks with a smile.

 

I nod along. “Sure did.”

 

No more words were said thankfully. I’m not entirely in the mood to talk.

 

Zee is ahead lifting some big ass weights.


He catches my eye and winks at me.

 

I smirk and shake my head.

 

Well he’s a lot stronger than I thought. What the fuck are his augments?

 

He makes floating glowsticks and I don’t know what else.

 

Holy shit those arms!

 

Okay now would be a shitty time to think dirty thoughts.

 

“But the dick!”

 

I squint and look away.

 

Charlie is over somewhere else bench pressing with Anjak spotting him. He has to also help keep Charlie’s whiskers from getting caught.

 

Oh my god it’s a catfish and a shark working out together!

 

As I think that, cartoon versions of themselves appear like some kind of drawing on a screen.

 

I blink and shake my head and then it is gone again.

 

That was…new?

 

So fucking weird.

 

“How are you so flexible,” Gus says with a raised brow.

 

I shrug and feel a bit embarrassed for some reason, as if he saw my weird vision thingy.

 

“Practice,” I say. “Lots of tiny places to slip into.”

 

There is a small pause before I say, “I also had a small thing with learning to dance but that was awhile ago I guess.”

 

Two whole ass years apparently.

 

“Really?” He asks. “That’s rather adorable to think about.”

 

I grin at him and push him playfully.

 

“Hush you,” I say and blush.

 

He sticks his tongue out like some little kid.

 

Gus is a bit of a weirdo which I guess is funny for me to say.

 

He drags a lot of attention with his glowy legs but he definitely is a quiet bean. Usually he sticks around Maksim and lets the old man speak for him.

 

“If only Maksim could’ve joined,” I say as I stretch my legs.

 

Gus nods as he copies me. “A shame they don’t consider him useful.”

 

Honestly it is quite a surprise he doesn’t have an augment. It’s so common now that he is practically considered a unicorn in this place!

 

I suppose him being on the older side is also what keeps him out of here.

 

Still, U.U.P.P. wants fancy augments and nothing else I suppose.

 

Oh I guess Aliens too.

 

Can’t forget about Anjak and Charlie!

 

Not too sure on where to start today.

 

I could join Zee maybe?

 

There are always the punching bags. Those are fun.

 

Could always turn today into another leg day?

 

Not too sure.

 

I honestly have no motivation to do any of this right now.

 

All I can do is stand and stare at what a few folks are doing.

 

None of it looks appealing in the slightest.

 

I mean some of the guys definitely do!

 

Some are already sweaty in their white tank tops and well…it has been more than two years!

 

Obviously now is not the place.

 

I sigh and head over to Henson.

 

He looks me over before turning his attention to a set of guys who are…wrestling?

 

Interesting way to train I guess.

 

Fucking weird.

 

“Why were you late today,” He asks, still not looking at me.

 

I shrug. “There is this thing I like called sleep. I didn’t want to leave it I guess.”

 

He shakes his head. “You need to set a proper schedule to keep pushing yourself, Zaf.”

 

I roll my eyes. “Yeah, yeah. I know.”

 

“This isn’t a game, Zaf,” He says as he turns to me. “I didn’t give you the chance to get in here to be a slacker. Either you get to work or you get cut off.”

 

I lean my head back on the wall behind me and groan.

 

“We aren’t doing anything,” I say in almost disgust. “We’re just working out in our own gym! I thought we would’ve at least gotten fancy equipment to try out.”

 

“I used to swing from building to building. Climbing up walls to break into said buildings. This is boring as fuck.”

 

Now his full attention is on me.

 

“Listen,” He says, stepping a little closer and trying to place his hand on my shoulder.

 

I move out of reach.

 

He frowns as he speaks. “I get it. You hate staying in place for so long so you feel like you’re dying. Maybe you’re feeling restless with knowing how the world is working now. None of that changes the fact that this needs to be done as a team now. You’re not the only one I’m looking out for and not everyone here was out climbing fucking museums to steal some rocks.”

 

Licking my lips, I look away.

 

It is annoying that he knows so much about me.

 

“If you want to sit in your cell all day, fine,” He continues. “Just know you were going to miss out on some bonding time with your teammates. Remember that. All these guys in here are your new best friends.”

 

The ones that were wrestling or whatever have stopped to listen.

 

“Fine,” I grit out and make my way to find someone to fucking distract me.

 

I already lost track of how many times we’ve been brought in here, but damn I sure wish we were learning how our skills are supposed to be put to use with whatever missions they want to send us on.

 

Charlie and Anjak are easy to understand.

 

They are strong as hell and can even be underwater for years.

 

Zee I have no idea.

 

He makes floating balls and I don’t know how that is special for whatever stuff U.U.P.P. has planned.

 

Gus has glowing legs. I feel like that would be the worst thing to have. It draws attention.

 

I of course would probably do what I was doing before.

 

I doubt they would want to lose out on my skill set.

 

Sector Four was my playground and everything was easy to break into.

 

Perhaps the constantly easy access made that a bit boring as well. The chase was also fun when U.U.P.P. put in a little more effort.

 

Tin Can was cute and all but I could outrun his ass any day of the week.

 

I purse my lips at that.

 

Should not have thought about him.

 

All thoughts and feelings of him make me feel like a truck is hitting me full in the face.

 

Fuck it. Zee is always a nice distraction from everything.

 

I walk over to him and he winks again at me.

 

“As much as I love to watch you walk away, I can’t help but like this as well.”

 

I snort and roll my eyes.

 

“God you’re such a perv,” I smile and sit on the bench behind him.

 

He turns to face me and nods towards Henson. “What was that about?”

 

Well I didn’t really want to bitch about it more with him.

 

“I simply don’t like how we’re doing nothing,” I say cheerily and end it with a smile.

 

He chuckles and nods. “Yeah well. Some of us aren’t exactly up to par for this kind of stuff.”

 

I give him a look of confusion. “You aren’t talking about you, right? You’re all beef!”

 

Zee grins and flexes for me. “Maybe you’re right!”

 

We laugh and he sits next to me while keeping one dumbbell in one hand.

 

He nods over to Gus.

 

“I think the one that needs the most help is Gus. He’s so skinny.”

 

I nod along. “I feel like we will be the ones who get kicked out in the future anyways.”

 

“What do you mean,” He asks.

 

I nod towards Anjak. “They want powerhouses like Mekaias. Not little humans with augments.”

 

Zee purses his lips as he watches Anjak lift about four hundred pounds of weights with one hand.

 

“I know,” He says. “At least this is something different for now. Not going soft in our cells, right?”

 

I hum in agreement. “Who knows how long this will last.”

 

The next three hours are a bit boring.

 

I bounce around the room between my friends.

 

Gus apparently can run forever. He even outran me!

 

Charlie is strong as hell and needs someone just as strong to spot him. Lucky for him, Anjak is here.

 

They tend to stick together more since nobody else can spot them with the stuff they use.

 

Old feelings towards Zee are still there and they come back in full force when I see him working out.

 

Why does he have to be all hot when he’s sweaty?

 

He keeps wiping his face with his shirt which of course flashes his stupid stomach and chest.

 

The man even peeks at me after doing so.

 

The asshole!

 

I blink at that thought and turn towards the showers since it’s time to go.

 

I swear I get in the mood so fast and easily in this prison!

 

“Horny! You’re horny!”

 

Now I roll my eyes at that voice screaming.

 

I suppose being bored all the time also adds to it.

 

Most have already headed into the showers and I’m trailing along with the rest.

 

I stretch my arms above my head and yawn.

 

Another boring session done!

 

Alright, I’m probably sounding ungrateful after wanting to be a part of this, but I didn’t exactly know what I was getting into!

 

A hand touches my back and settles on my hip.

 

Looking up, I find Anjak at my side.

 

“I have an idea to make your day interesting,” He grins with his sharp teeth.

 

His shirt has been taken off already and his tight shorts are dangerously low at the moment.

 

Definitely notice a chub forming in his them.

 

“Anjak,” I gasp dramatically and reach a hand over my chest. “So forward! How lewd of you!”

 

He chuckles and removes his hand.

 

“I heard what you had said to Zee,” He says. “I hope what you both think doesn’t come true. You all are good people to me. More than most other humans on Earth.”

 

I smile and nudge his side. “Hey, who knows what’ll happen? For all we know, things might go perfectly and we thought wrong!”

 

He smiles again, this time looking more cute. “I hope so.”

 

Anjak then leans down to whisper into my ear, which is funny since he’s double my size. However it ends up not being funny quickly.

 

“I’d also hate not seeing you in here,” His breath brushes against my ear and makes me shiver. “I’d miss seeing you in those clothes. Especially when you take them off in here.”

 

I squint up at him, my face burning up now.

 

“You’re just as bad as Zee,” I squeak out.

 

He throws his head back in a booming laugh before picking me up and placing me on his shoulder like a sack of flour.

 

I yelp and grip onto his shoulder and arm to keep myself from falling.

 

“Anjak put me down!”

 

He only laughs and spanks me before moving into the showers.

 

A few other guys laugh. One of whom is Zee.

 

I can’t see where we are going in the shower since I’m being forced to behind Anjak.

 

I sigh and go limp.

 

It looks like he took me to the lockers at least.

 

After he sets me down on the ground, we both get to stripping with everyone else.

 

“I must say,” Anjak starts. “It is very funny how each time you ‘first meet me’, you always have the same look on your face.”

 

I roll my eyes and now I want to die.

 

God it’s embarrassing.

 

“Hey,” I say as I throw off my shorts. “It’s not my fault you’re so nice to look at.”

 

He turns to me, fully naked and winks as he walks past me, “Likewise.”

 

My eyes start at those giant things swinging.

 

Holy shit!

 

How have I not seen that yet? This nerd has two dicks!

 

Fuck that!

 

~~~

 

After the showers, I arrive at my cell.

 

Barely a minute passes by before an officer stops by to let me know that I’m supposed to see Henson.

 

I'm already annoyed.

 

I’m thinking he’s probably gonna tell me that I’m off the team.

 

Honestly I don’t even care anymore!

 

“Yeah right.”

“Imagine the boredom after!”

“You keep trying to act like none of this matters to you.”

“We know you want this to keep going more than anything.”

“Why are you trying to trick yourself into hating this thing?”

 

Clenching my jaw, I slip into Officer Henson’s office.

 

He looks up and motions for me to sit.

 

As soon as I do he gives me a long hard stare.

 

I fidget in my chair, feeling a bit uncomfortable from this weird treatment.

 

“Do you want me to drop you from the team,” He asks. “You’re acting strangely towards it all now. Before when you learned about your problem, you really wanted to stay a part of it. What changed? This attitude isn’t going to cut it, Zafiro.”

 

I stare down at the ground and drum my fingers on my thigh.

 

I feel like I’m in trouble at the principal's office.

 

That sure takes me back.

 

“I don’t know,” I say.

 

“Yes you do.”

“Say it.”

 

I close my eyes and try to ignore the voices.

 

“Spit it out!”

 

“Zafiro, it’s alright,” Henson says calmly. “I can see you’re fighting something but know that this is a safe place for you.”

 

That makes me laugh. “Forgive me if I find it hard to find comfort after what this place was doing to me.”

 

He frowns and nods in understanding. “I’m sorry. I should’ve thought of that better.”

 

I nod and lean my head back to stare at the ceiling.

 

I do that a lot now, I’ve noticed.

 

Taking a slow deep breath, I rub my face. “I’m trying not to get my hopes up. I don’t even want to go home anymore. I don’t have one.”

 

Silence is all I get in response so I keep going.

 

“I have found a new family here and most of them are in this little program. I know they really want to get out of here and I don’t want them to.”

 

I sit up and lean my arms on Henson’s desk.

 

“Is that so bad?”

 

He shrugs. “As long as you don’t put your wants over their own, I’d say it’s fine to think that. Maybe talk to them. Talk about possibly sticking together with some or all. You could always leave with them at the same time. Most here have more years on them than you, but you can stay as long as you like, Zafiro.”

 

Huh…I never really thought of that.

 

Would they let me tag along with one of them?

 

I do wish we could all stay together though, but I know that wouldn’t be possible.

 

“I’m not supposed to tell you until later but,” Henson sits up and types into his holoscreen. “You should know that our first mission will be coming up soon. We finally got approval for it.”

 

Oh wow it’s actually happening!

 

My eyebrows raise in surprise. “So it wasn’t all some weird ploy to get people working out?”

 

He laughs and shakes his head. “No but official U.U.P.P. squadron training will begin. I hope you’re ready for it.”

 

I wonder what that training is like.

Copyright © 2022 JujuTheDruid; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

ohh. mission time...nope just thinking suicide squad and having aquatic powerhouses doesn't really dissuade the ideaNom Nom Eating GIF by The Suicide Squad

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..