Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,539 Words
  • 1,089 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lost - Two Timer series - 25. Chapter 25

Anton decided to give Troy and Molly some time alone, so he volunteered to get coffee. The machine near the nurse’s station was out of order, one nurse informed him were the cafeteria was. He caught an elevator to the ground floor and followed the aroma of fries, pizza, and coffee that led him past the emergency ward.

Anton observed EMTs wheeling in two gurneys with police escort. He stopped in his tracks when he saw AJ Chance as one of the victims. Another gurney followed with an older man, in worst shape than AJ, he needed help breathing. Anton rushed to find out what happened.

When Anton returned upstairs where Troy was waiting for him near the nurse’s station. He noticed Anton had no drinks.

“Anton, was the cafeteria out of coffee?” Troy joked.

“What, coffee?” he replied, confused by Troy’s question.

“Anton,” Troy grabbed his husband’s shoulders gaining his full attention. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s—AJ,” Anton said.

“What about AJ?”

“they brought him and his partner in on an ambulance.”

“Are you sure it was him?”

“I know AJ, Troy. He was unconscious and bleeding from his head. I wanted to do something, but they told me I had to wait until they admitted him. They said his injuries weren’t life threatening, but his partner is not so lucky. He was being taken to surgery.”

“That doesn’t sound good but at least they’re here.”

“Should we call Adam?”

“What can he do? Besides, he’s looking for Patrick.”

“You’re right. How’s Molly?”

“She’s sleeping, which is what we need. We’re going back to Adam’s apartment to get rest.”

“But AJ…”

“Anton, there’s nothing we can do. He has people to watch over him.”

Anton rubbed his neck and nodded his head. As Troy pulled him into a hug.

“We’ll check on everybody tomorrow.”

Troy kept his arm around Anton as they boarded the elevator.

*************

The directions led Adam to a train yard. He didn’t want to park anywhere near it so instead he parked in a residential area where his jeep would go unnoticed.

He carried a backpack with water, granola bars, Patrick’s Taser, binocular, first aid kit, a portable charger for his cell, Patrick’s charged cell phone, and a sleeping bag.

A quick check that his gun’s loaded and operating, which he kept in a holster under his jacket, he grabbed a flashlight and a map. He circled the yard finding nothing odd, graffiti walls, trash, chained doors, signs reading keep out but no entry to the underground. The sun would be up soon and he was no closer to finding Patrick.

He checked his map again.

“A tunnel should be nearby,” he whispered.

It took a moment but he found a path of track with overgrown vegetation covering gravel leading down on a slope. He shined the flashlight towards the ground so not to trip on debris but found the area cleared and fresh tire tracks. A locked entry gate with a new padlock and chain guard a tunnel. Adam remembered he had a bolt cutter in his jeep, but changed his mind. He wanted to get Patrick out unharmed not have him used as a shield because he raced in gun in hand. He needed to take it slow and wait for the party to start and keep watch from a distance; he heard gravel being disturbed from behind.

*************

Justin called in a favor to a friend who was a Hitch driver. They took him home before Devin followed Justin’s directions. They arrived at a train yard and without trouble Devin found the entry to the tunnel locked.

Devin climbed out, leaving the headlights on, giving him enough light to check the lock as Justin waited in the car. Justin remained focused on Devin and didn’t see a figure approach from his side and open his door.

“What are you doing here Justin?” Adam said, startling his assistant.

“Adam,” Justin said. “Where did you…”

“Answer me?”

“This was my idea,” Devin said, walking up.

“No one asked for your help,” Adam snapped, the car door between him and Devin. “Nor did I ask you to bring Justin into danger.”

“Adam, I wanted to come,” Justin said. Adam snapped his head towards him

“To do what?” Adam asked, “To be a target, to get killed?”

“Hey back off, you have no right to talk to him like that,” Devin barked.

“It’s all right Devin,” Justin said.

“No, it’s not. Adam you need our help so why don’t you say it?”

Adam moved around the door towards Devin, who regretted his outburst. Justin chased after Adam, who stepped towards Devin.

“Adam wait,” Justin said, grabbing his arm. Adam turned to him, exasperated. “Fighting will not help Patrick. How about I wait out here in the car for your word to call the police or be ready for an escape when you find Patrick?”

Adam didn’t have time to argue as he closed his eyes and sighed.

“Fine, but you both will wait out here while I get Pat.” He started back up the slope calling back to them. “Get this car out of here before someone sees it and park it behind those empty box cars. I don’t want to see or hear from either of you until I made contact.”

Protest parted from Devin’s lips when Justin shook his head stopping him. Justin climbed back in and reluctant, Devin followed and moved the car where Adam ordered.

He jerked the gear into park and shut the engine.

“I can’t believe I shared a womb with him,” Devin said.

“I’m surprised one of you didn’t eat the other,” Justin said smirking, climbing out.

Devin chuckled despite being mad as he joined Justin and waited for Adam.

When Adam reached them, he seemed calmer.

“All right, I covered your tire tracks. Stay out of sight until the party starts.”

“Then what?” asked Devin.

“I go in as you and find Patrick.”

“Yeah, but you’re not me and Piper will see right through you.”

“I’ll take my chances.”

“But what if your chances cost Patrick his life?”

Adam punched Devin, who landed with a thump on the gravel ground. Justin rushed to Devin blocking Adam from attacking him again.

Dazed from the blow Devin tasted the blood in his mouth as he focused-on Adam standing over him.

“You son-of-a-bitch,” Devin tried to stand when Justin pressed against his chest stopping him.

“Don’t you dare talk about him like that, if it wasn’t for you, he wouldn’t be in this mess!”

“I don’t think this is the place to be talking about this,” Justin said, rising to Adam and standing in his way.

“It’s his own fault. He kept coming around,” Devin threw back, wiping his chin.

“Devin, drop this,” Justin pleaded, glancing back at him.

“What? Why would he need to seek you out?” Adam asked.

Devin opened his mouth to respond. When Adam’s cell rang. He turned and looked at the caller ID that said unknown. He answered on the second ring.

“Yes?”

“Do you have him?” The disguise voice asked.

“I do.”

“Make sure you’re at the location we sent you.”

“Let me speak to him to make sure he’s okay. Please.”

A long pause and Adam feared he might have over stepped his chance.

“Adam.” Patrick’s voice sounded coarse.

“Pat,” Adam tried to control his emotions. “Pat I’m coming for you, just hang on a little longer, okay.”

“Adam,” he choked out as he sobbed into the phone.

“Pat, did you hear me? I’m coming for you.” Adam listened to Patrick’s sobs drown out when the voice returned.

“Don’t disappoint me Detective Potter.” The line went dead as Adam lowered his cell.

“Adam what did they say?” Justin asked, Devin, now standing behind him.

Adam turned to them collecting himself.

“Everything’s still as planned. Go back to my house Justin and wait for me. Take him with you.”

“We want to help,” Justin said.

“You can help by staying out of my way and let me focus on saving Patrick.”

“Okay,” Justin said, approaching Adam. “I’m sorry this is happening to you.”

Adam nodded and hugged Justin as Devin watched. When they parted Adam adjusted his backpack on his shoulder and walked off. Justin turned to the baffled Devin.

“What was that about?” Devin asked.

“We need to give him space, Devin. He’s in a bad place right now.”

“So we abandon him?”

“Hell no, we back off and stay out of his way. The party is tonight we need to rest until then.”

“So, we’re still helping?”

“Yep but staying out of Adam’s way.”

“Okay, get in, I’ll drive.”

************

Piper pushed Patrick back on the bed.

“I am sick of your ejecting emotions. He’s not worth it, you’ve seen the video.” Piper leaned over Patrick, who lay on his side staring off into the distance. “He doesn’t love you anymore. He’s doing this out of obligation not love. Rest, and I’ll be back for you tonight.”

After Piper left, Patrick remained on his side. His words cut him deep, but he needed Piper in a false confidence. He was his father’s son, and a Valdez always comes out on top.

Thank you all for reading and your support please leave a like and or comment.
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..