Jump to content
    MacGreg
  • Author
  • 157 Words
  • 1,671 Views
  • 16 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Exquisite Corpse and Other Collaborations - 4. Common Ground

Can two people who don't know each other make a noteworthy Exquisite Corpse piece together? That's what fellow GA member @Freerider and I aimed to discover.
Topic chosen: human compassion. Only the last line of each stanza was shared with one another as we went along. The finished piece is posted without edits.

 

Each deliberate act of cruelty

Reverses the clock,

Prevents common ground, yet

Barriers can be dismantled with mutual determination

 

Readiness to open up your mind

Letting go of all thoughts preconceived

Will make you aware of beings

That yearn for you to be kind

 

Society’s revolving door of inequality

Spins the rejection of your neighbor

But who of us is free from imperfection?

Before you cast judgement, take a walk in his shoes

 

Negative comments are not easy to halt

Blame and condemnation a common thing

Reasoning what is wrong with the other

But not always someone is at fault

 

A wise leader once proclaimed

“Hate is too great a burden to bear"

Righteous indignation solves nothing

Release your malice and embrace diversity

 

So instead of not to bother

And only be concerned with one's self

It would be so much better

To increase feeling for one another

 


Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2018 MacGreg, Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Human compassion is seriously deficient, ant even the most minor levels. You Mac, and @Freerider did a wonderful job putting it all out there. 

I’d definitely say this collaboration was noteworthy..

Well done. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/6/2018 at 12:36 PM, MichaelS36 said:

I'd have to say you did .. very nice. Both of you!

Thanks, Mike. Freerider and I were happy with the results. This kind of collaboration seems to work, even between strangers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 2/6/2018 at 1:32 PM, Parker Owens said:

An interesting result on a compelling topic. These stanzas contain some very great truths. Indeed an exquisite poem. 

Thank you, Parker. I'm enjoying this project. When Freerider and I first discussed collaborating, it was around Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Hence, the topic of this poem. The message contained stands true any day of the year. Cheers

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/6/2018 at 1:44 PM, BlindAmbition said:

A good collaboration on an interesting topic. Love this series Mac Sir. Very original and unique. I applaud you taking the challenge @Freerider

Glad you're enjoying it, jp. I am, too. It's been interesting and fun, and I plan to do more ahead.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/6/2018 at 3:58 PM, deville said:

In a world that’s suffering from ‘compassion fatigue ‘ ,  this collaboration certainly is thought provoking and uplifting . 

So true, deville. We chose this topic around Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, but it's relevant every day, in my opinion. Thanks for your comment. Cheers

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 2/6/2018 at 5:18 PM, Mikiesboy said:

oh this is such a wonderful poem ..  and as deville said, compassion is lacking in our world and this should be posted everywhere.  truly wonderful!  

Thanks, tim. you know firsthand how the Exquisite Corpse poems work. Freerider and I enjoyed putting this one together. It is a message for everyone, isn't it?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 2/7/2018 at 6:25 AM, mollyhousemouse said:

wonderfully done @MacGreg Sir and @Freerider

what a great way to tackle an important topic

i think it also proved that this form works well.  can't wait to see what's next

Thank you, molly... There's a lot more to say on this topic, and we'd all do well to discuss it repeatedly. Compassion is a limited resource right now. Thanks for your continued support on this project.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, Defiance19 said:

Human compassion is seriously deficient, ant even the most minor levels. You Mac, and @Freerider did a wonderful job putting it all out there. 

I’d definitely say this collaboration was noteworthy..

Well done. 

If we continue to put the word out, maybe compassion won't be such an endangered emotion. Thanks for the comments, Def. I appreciate it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Thanks, tim. you know firsthand how the Exquisite Corpse poems work. Freerider and I enjoyed putting this one together. It is a message for everyone, isn't it?

i do know Sir. i also know about compassion .. i know from time to time i lack it. But i also know i cannot stay in that place. If i'm hurt or angry, my compassion can go out the window. But i cannot stay there. The horror of what i've thought or done will flood back to me, and i have to reach out, apologize if necessary, but most importantly, talk.  

 

We all make mistakes but talking and listening with a compassionate heart can help us resolve most anything.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, MacGreg said:

Thanks, Mike. Freerider and I were happy with the results. This kind of collaboration seems to work, even between strangers.

It certainly looks that way. It's an interesting experience I'm sure. And you've come up with some wonderful poems. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..