Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 147 Words
  • 1,595 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

tim's poetry workbook - 5. Rhyming Couplets

May was a busy month, with not a lot of time to write ... these are a little bit late. I hope they are right.

The Prompt: write both kinds of rhymed Couplets:

 

This first was to be a couplet on the theme: Spring has sprung:

Through dark earth pop the little heads
of poppies in their flower beds.

 

 

The second was to be based on a folktale AC provided in the original prompt, here.


Love came to us then in the sweet summertime,
we were young and mountains were easy to climb.
In my heart you were my love, and precious Queen,
the sadness that this caused, was never foreseen.
We have been together for so many years,
through them we've had happiness and often tears.
In concert, we brought proof of our love to bear;
the time has arrived to be honest and share.
For our sweet Princess has come into her own,
with pride, we can show the world, how she has grown.

***

Thanks AC for the excellent prompts and self checks!
Thanks for reading!!
Copyright © 2019 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

:) 

Thank you for taking the time to write these poems, tim. I enjoyed them both. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

i may not be able to write these, but i sure enjoy reading them! i'm grateful that you persevered and posted this

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I'm terrible at rhymes (a lot of almost rhymes in my songs and poems), so I'm always impressed when people do it right. Thanks for sharing! :) 

My wonderful editor/mentor said to me in his wonderful, gentle, thoughtful way, (my remembering, not a quote), "Tim if you want to be a good poet, you need to take it more seriously." We went on to discuss a lot of things including near-rhymes etc. He gave me a lot of advice, and things he has learned the hard way, being a self-taught poet. i do my best to take his advice and counsel to heart.

His last essay about rhyming, which is posted, is very good. I work hard to make rhymes as natural as i can.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Thorn.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Brayon said:

Poetry is like a foreign language to me, that I can understand when reading it, but writing is a whole-another story.

That said, I like both of these. With Memorial day last weekend the symbol of the Poppy is very timely. I remember someone giving me a paper poppy on a bendy metal stem to wear, one memorial day past. I can't remember who, but I remember the flower and what it was a symbol of.

The second poem, gives me a visual of a couple who have a daughter that is coming into her own. Perhaps its a sweet 16 party that is being held for her, or even a wedding. In either case the parents are proud of what their daughter has become.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these. i am always surprised at what people think when they read a poem. There is no right or wrong answer, it's a matter of who we are, and our experiences. It's all wonderful.

Thanks again, A. xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I liked your response to the Griselda prompt. I loved how you used tears and bear in two successive couplets, which spell so much the same, yet sound so different. 

Thanks Parker. i never noticed that and i love that you did, i guess it depends if you are using it as a noun or verb. English is so weird.  Thanks for your comments on this. xo

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

:) 

Thank you for taking the time to write these poems, tim. I enjoyed them both. 

:D  Thanks for reading them Reader! AC's prompts are great.  I'm not sure if you read them, but they are filled with some great poetry themselves.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i may not be able to write these, but i sure enjoy reading them! i'm grateful that you persevered and posted this

People say write for yourself. Many take that to mean, for yourself as in not to share. But to me, Art should be shared, from like @Wayne Gray 's pic of alley art to poetry or paintings ... Art is a voice and should be shared where anyone who is open to hearing it can see or hear it. i am glad some people think my work is worth their time and effort to do so.

Thanks, molly xo

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thanks for sharing this, and congratulations on a good job of rhyming! I enjoy looking for words that rhyme. When I was teaching I found a really good rhyming dictionary to use when helping my students. I don't remember rules about publishing poems. With a story made of couplets, like you have done, do they ever get written with a line skipped between each couplet? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

Thanks for sharing this, and congratulations on a good job of rhyming! I enjoy looking for words that rhyme. When I was teaching I found a really good rhyming dictionary to use when helping my students. I don't remember rules about publishing poems. With a story made of couplets, like you have done, do they ever get written with a line skipped between each couplet? 

Oh yeah, there is often a line between. Not sure why i decided on this style .. i'm not sure i even thought about it.  Thanks for reading and your comments Jeffrey.

Edited by Mikiesboy
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..