Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 364 Words
  • 2,145 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

tim's poetry workbook - 1. Tanka

Thanks AC for writing this wonderful guide ... you are an excellent teacher, a gifted poet, and a dear friend.


Zero to Hero Poetry Prompts

 

Tanka

The prompt was to write five Tanka poems about the current season, which in this case is winter. I'm not a huge lover of winter. I love to read Tanka, but for me it is a struggle to write. I have used the supportive group in the Live Poet's Society forum for the first two (so they are 'right' as far as Tanka goes) ... the last three i have bravely struck out on my own, with AC's Guide. Let's see how we do.

 

 

Oh, winter so cold
I have always hated you
because I am forced
to wear heavy boots with soles
as thick as my resentment

 

 

I open my hands
delighting as snowflakes fall;
they melt on my palm
reminding me, perfection
is ever, only fleeting

 

 

Gray, felted skies mock,
making us feel dour and sad,
yet I feel hope, when
fresh snow dapples the pines, on
which red cardinals alight

 

 

Squalls blow in and out
showering us with snowflakes
while we run to play,
laughing and making snowmen;
leaving angels in our wake

 

 

Christmas carols play,
the tree is all a-twinkle
as we sip eggnog;
and near me children giggle
as we wait for Santa’s sleigh.

 

Updated 5th poem.... Why? see the above poem. @MacGreg Sir pointed out this repeated phrase, which does spoil the flow of the original poem.

Christmas carols play,
the tree is all a-twinkle
as we sip eggnog;
and near me children giggle
while we wait for Santa’s sleigh.

So.. after looking at my 5th poem... i spoke to AC about it as well. It is not a Tanka. So I will leave it there but work on fixing it and post a proper example in the next day or so.

**Update 1/20/2019

Wow, i really struggled with this one. Tanka do not flow from me easily. In fact, it is downright hard, but here is the last of them:

Christmas carols play,
the tree is all a-twinkle
as we sip eggnog;
you are the brightest of them;
I watch as you put out gifts

 

***

Thanks for reading. Though i've written a lot of poetry, i know i have a lot to learn and to practice. Comments and suggestions are welcome!!
Copyright © 2019 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Some people are meant to be poets. You're one of them, my Brother. While the scenes you describe are alien to me, I saw them well enough to understand the meaning behind the words.

 

I wonder if some has done a warmer climate winter? Well, for the Northern Hemisphere currently. It's Summer for those down below.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

“....Though i've written a lot of poetry, i know i have a lot to learn and to practice....”

 

Your modesty and humility are part and parcel of who you are, tim:

What you already know is more than most in the tricky world of the rhymed word.  Practice can only perfect your natural ability but you’re way ahead of many other’s game.

I liked the Tankas, the sample ones as well as your efforts;  I respect your willingness to grow your skill by stepping out of your comfort zone.

Edited by FanLit
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..