Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 4,322 Words
  • 3,689 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aria Graice - 19. Chapter 19

Jeff slotted into their crazy little group far quicker and more smoothly than Drew would have though. His solid presence not only steadied the boys, but Drew, too.

Oh, there were tears and tantrums, demands, threats of firing and some intense shouting matches, none of which seemed to affect Jeff in the slightest. However, Drew noticed a marked change as the days went on. The twins’ frenetic energy calmed, and they were able to focus more clearly.

Amara was serious about learning to defend himself and worked out with Jeff for at least an hour every day, sometimes more if he didn’t have other engagements. Aria showed no interest in fighting, but Jeff taught him some Tai Chi moves and it caught his imagination to the point he insisted Alicia find him a proper teacher who was engaged to come in three times a week to teach Tai Chi to Aria and yoga to both.

He spoke at length with Amara about reporting Ben’s abuse to the police, and finally made arrangements for him to speak to someone Jeff knew, who was a detective chief superintendent at the Met. Amara didn’t want to press charges, but he was assured that everything would go on record, and if he changed his mind or if anything else should come of it, the police would be all over it, and all over Ben. Although he didn’t tell Amara, Jeff’s friend arranged for a police car to drive past a couple of times a day to make sure no one was lurking outside, and he also circulated Ben’s picture with instructions to inform them if he was seen anywhere near where the boys would, or should, be.

The best thing that Jeff did, though, was to persuade both Aria and Amara to attend counselling with a counsellor he recommended himself. Given the circumstances, and probably Jeff’s persuasion she’d agreed to meet the boys the next day, and both boys liked her enough to agree to work with her. There’d only been one session each, which had left the boys emotional wrecks for a few days, but they were keen to go back, and that was progress.

Alicia wasn’t comfortable with keeping the information from Mrs Graice, but she couldn’t ignore the difference the new regime was making to the boys, so she held back.

The party was getting ever closer and the boys started to get over the fact that their mother had entirely taken over, and to grow excited. It seemed as if every day Mrs. Graice changed something—the music, the decoration, the guest list—she’d whittled the boys’ friends down to less than a handful—and in the end they lost all interest in everything but simply attending.

The day before the party, the boys had a rare day off. Although that should have meant Drew and Jeff had the day off, too, especially as they would be on a long shift the next day, they’d decided it would be safer for there to be round-the-clock protection until after the party.

At around eight thirty a.m. Drew and Jeff were making coffee in the small kitchen when the clacking of heels announced a visitor. They met Alicia in the living room. She looked flustered and was clutching a large envelope. Drew’s heart sank.

Alicia motioned for them to go back into the kitchen and followed. She sank into a chair and placed the envelope on the table. Jeff picked it up and withdrew a sheaf of papers. Drew could see photographs among the papers but waited patiently for Jeff to hand them over before trying to take a look. It was clear they weren’t happy photos from the expression on Jeff’s face.

Eventually Jeff handed the papers to Drew and he shuffled through. His stomach lurched.

The missive was similar to the previous ones, in that it is expounded the evil of the twins and the promise they would get what they deserved, with photographs to illustrate the point. That was nothing new. However, there were also photographs of the boys taken from places no photographer should have been able to access—dancing in the attic, in the dressing room at an interview with a magazine, in the limo. The scariest thing of all, though, was the party invitation.

“They can’t go,” Drew said immediately.

“Absolutely not,” Alicia agreed.

“I think they should,” Jeff said, drawing the full attention of the others.

“What?”

“But it’s not safe.”

“Nowhere is safe at the moment. Not even here. If the photographer could take snaps inside the house, they’re already way too close. They could have struck at any time, but they’ve pretty much announced they’re going to make their move at the party. How often do we get time and location handed to us?”

He frowned at Drew, his mentor mask fully in place.

“Almost never.”

“We have control at the party. We can moderate the boys’ movements, make sure we’re right by their sides the whole time. We can bring in more security, wrap up the place like a Christmas present.”

“This isn’t some random, amateur operation. If they’re blatant enough to announce when and where they’ll make their move they’ve got to be confident in their ability to come through. This is going to be a well-organized, slick job.”

“And they’re not going to be any less organized or slick if we don’t go to the party. Plus, we won’t know what their secondary plan is.”

“Are you sure they’ll have a secondary plan?”

“People like this always have a secondary plan, and because it is secondary and not as well thought through as the primary plan, there are more ways for it to go wrong and someone to get hurt.”

“But isn’t this just some crazy cult?” Alicia asked. “Realistically, how likely are they to be that well organized in the first place?”

“I can absolutely assure you,” Jeff said looking about as serious as Drew had ever seen him, “that this is no crazy cult. They’ve got too close. This is an inside job. Some of these photos could have been taken long-range but not all. Have you done a sweep for hidden cameras?”

“Hidden cameras? No. Why would we have?”

“Because there have been photographs taken inside this house on at least two occasions now, which means someone has been in here. If there are hidden cameras it significantly increases the length of time during which someone might have had access to the area and the number of people who might have been responsible. Have you had any work done in the last few months? Have there been tradesmen in? Anyone unusual?”

“It was Ben,” Drew said without thinking. “We did a sweep after the first lot of photos. I can’t swear but I’m pretty sure he did the areas where the new photos were taken, and he would have had plenty of opportunity to take down the ones in the areas I searched and put new ones up again. Alicia always thought it was an inside job and he had perfect opportunity.”

“But what would be his motive?” Alicia frowned, shuffling nervously. “Now, yes, but not when the first one came in. He was looking forward to the party and was as disappointed as the boys when the venue changed. Why would he risk upsetting the gravy train?”

“Maybe he was getting ready to get off.” Jeff said, thoughtfully. “What exactly do you know about him?”

“I’d have to check the file, but we did all the usual background checks, on him and the firm he worked for. He had an uneventful career in the military, excelled in martial arts, and specialised in close protection. I think Amara chose him because neither his mother nor I liked him. But I don’t see what motivation he’d have had to hurt the boys, not before he left. Not many people liked him, but everyone knew that, for whatever reason, Amara wasn’t about to let him go. He got respect because of Amara and by the sound of it he got plenty of perks from the job. Why would he rock the boat?”

“Who knows?” Drew shrugged. “Maybe the letters were never meant to be anything more than frighteners to destabilize and unsettle the boys to make them easier to manipulate and take advantage of. Classic technique.”

“True,” Jeff said thoughtfully, “but it was a lot of work, especially when he was being successful at manipulating Amara without them. I’d understand if he’d held them in reserve and let them out after he was fired, but he had nothing to gain before that. I don’t think it’s in any way safe to assume the letters were anything but deadly serious.”

“I agree.” Drew nodded. “What do you suggest we do about it? Increase security at the party, clearly. Will you liaise with Mrs Graice, Alicia? Maybe Jeff could speak to her, too. She hates me so there’s little point in me talking to her.”

“I doubt she’d agree in any event. The way things stand at the moment, with the issues there already are with the party, I’m afraid that if we tell Momma Bear about this letter she’ll cancel it altogether. Leave it with me. I’ll speak directly to the chief of security and make sure things are taken care of without her in the loop if we can.”

“Good idea, but if you can’t ensure extra security without her, you’re going to have to tell her.”

“I understand.”

Jeff nodded. “I’ll see if the boss can spare anyone else for the day.”

“Good idea.” Drew frowned. “Should we tell the twins?”

“I don’t think that would—”

“Tell the twins what?” a sleepy voice asked from the doorway.

Drew glanced up. The twin was wearing pale grey pyjamas bottoms with a white t-shirt bearing a glittery unicorn. From the scrubbed-clean face, and soft voice Drew deduced it was Aria, but he couldn’t be sure. Would it make a difference?”

“Nothing,” Alicia said, shuffling the papers together and standing. “We were just talking about the party. Nothing major. Nothing for you to worry about.”

The twin padded across the floor and carefully took the papers from Alicia. No one moved to stop him. From the way his hand trembled slightly, Drew became more convinced it was Aria.

“Aria, you shouldn’t look at those. We’re handling it.”

Aria shook his head and slowly leafed through the papers and photographs. When he got to the end, to the photographs of tortured dummies dressed to an uncanny resemblance to the twins, he sank into a chair, dropping the papers on the floor and pressing his face into his hands.

“Why are they doing this?” he asked in a choked whisper. “What have we done to make anyone hate us so much?”

“Nothing,” Alicia said, sitting down and draping her arm around Aria’s slumped shoulders. “You’ve done nothing. These people are monsters. They don’t care about you. All they care about is hurting people. You don’t deserve this, and don’t you dare think you do. Drew, Jeff and I are handling things. You’ll be safe, I promise. All you have to worry about is what you’re going to wear to the party to look fabulous.”

Aria raised his head to gaze at Drew. “Will I, Drew?” he asked, his voice soft and choked. “Will I be safe?”

“Yes, you will. I’ll do everything I can to make sure of it.”

“But you can’t guarantee it.”

“No, I can’t. No one can. Not absolutely.”

Aria gazed at him for a moment longer, then nodded. “I wish…” He sighed deeply and let his head sink, as if it was too heavy to hold up. His entire posture was defeated and there was none of his usual bounce.

“What do you wish, sweetheart?” Alicia asked, hugging him tighter.

“I wish I wasn’t me.”

“Don’t be silly. You’ve no cause to wish that. You’re a very special person, a beautiful one. Tomorrow, you’ll be eighteen and ready to start a whole new chapter of your life. Just think – you’ll be free from your mother forever. You can do whatever you want.”

“We’ll never be free from her, Alicia. Never.”

“Maybe not, but it will be on your terms, and she won’t be able to treat you like she does now.”

“Will you work for us then, Alicia? Tomorrow. Will you not work for her anymore, but work for us.”

Alicia hesitated, looking stricken. She tucked the hair behind Aria’s ear. “I’ve always worked for you, darling. It was sometimes hard, and I had to compromise more than I’d like, but no matter what, I’ve always done my best for you and tomorrow, it will be my great pleasure to tell Mrs. Julianna Graice where to stuff her job.”

Aria’s head jerked up and for a moment, he looked panic stricken, then he relaxed and smiled. “You mean you’ll work for us properly then?” The relief turned uncertain. “You don’t mean you’re going to leave?”

“Leave? You? Never. I’m with you for as long as you want me. After watching you grow up, putting up with all the shit you’ve thrown at me, I think I’ve earned my place.”

Aria gave her a shy smile.

“Besides, against all the odds I actually like you two, and goodness knows what you’d get up to if I wasn’t here to keep an eye on you.”

Aria gave a thin smile, then raised his gaze to Drew. “Will you stay, too, Drew. Please. I know it was only supposed to be for a few weeks, but will you stay? Please.”

The pain in that expression was almost too much for Drew. He glanced at Jeff who pursed his lips and shook his head slightly. They’d already had the conversation about keeping a professional distance. He’d gone way past that line, but knew Jeff was right. He was getting too involved and he’d have to back out soon, but not yet.

“I promise I won’t leave you until this situation is sorted out and I’m sure you’re safe. After that…”

Aria nodded but slumped again. Then he got to his feet and walked around the table. Drew thought he was going for a coffee, but he walked straight to Drew and slipped his arms around Drew’s waist, resting his head on Drew’s chest. “Thank you,” he whispered and held tight.

Somehow, Drew found himself stroking Aria’s hair. It felt good, soft and silky under his hand. He gazed down at the top of Aria’s head. He should have pushed him away, and he would have if it were not for the fact that the slight frame in his arms was shaking. Instead, he kept on stroking until the shaking stopped and Aria gave a shuddering sigh and raised his head.

Aria smiled. It was thin and watery, but it was a real smile that came all the way from inside. It was a proper Aria smile that made you feel like the sun had just come out and all the colours were brighter and the sounds sharper. Tears swam in his big blue eyes, but they were clear and bright and held an expression that made Drew feel as uncomfortable as all hell, while at the same time warmed and drew a smile to his lips, that he quelled as soon as he became aware of it.

Thank God this was Aria. If it had been Amara he’d have been in a whole heap of trouble.

“Come on, lovely. Come sit down and have some breakfast and a cup of tea. Things always look better on a full stomach.” Alicia steered Aria to the table and sat him down, then bustled off to put bread in the toaster. Drew would have moved away, but Aria grabbed his wrist and pulled him down onto the chair next to him. He didn’t look at Drew, but he didn’t let go of his wrist either. The message was clear. He wanted Drew close.

“So,” Drew said, casting around for something, anything, to say. “What do you want to do today? You’re completely free. Would you like to go out or stay in?”

“In,” Aria said immediately, still without looking at Drew.

“Aria, you can’t let this frighten you so much you don’t want to go out.”

“I know,” Aria mumbled. “I’m not scared, just…tired. I don’t want to think about it. I don’t want to be looking everywhere all the time, checking exits, going over escape plans in my head. I just want to sit on the sofa, eat snacks and watch bad films on TV.”

“You were the one who wanted me to be around today. You could as easily have done that on your own. I thought we’d be going out and doing something wild and fun.”

Aria finally looked up. “Is that what you want to do? I will if you want to. If it means you’ll stay.”

Drew knew he was playing a dangerous game. He didn’t need Jeff’s glare for that, but the next day was one of the biggest in the boys’ lives so far. It was a huge milestone for them and would likely end with a whole load of unwarranted stress. He wanted both boys to have a calm and quiet day, and some fun. If Aria’s idea of fun was to watch terrible films then dammit he’d watch terrible films until his brain melted.

“If you want to watch films all day, that’s fine by me, but I get final say on what we watch.”

“Oh no you don’t,” Jeff said. “I remember what your taste is like. If I’m in on this, we take turns.”

Drew groaned. “Please no black and white ones. And no westerns.”

“I’m promising nothing.”

Drew continued to bicker gently with Jeff as Alicia made toast and Aria gradually worked his way closer to Drew until he was almost sitting on Drew’s lap cuddling his arm like a teddy bear.” The situation was almost domestic, and Drew found himself relaxing into it. Even Jeff loosened up.

“Mara, have you seen this? What the hell was she thinking?”

Everyone’s attention snapped to the doorway where one of the twins stood with a dress bag draped over his arm, spewing sparkly turquoise froth. He stopped dead as if walking into an invisible barrier and gazed around, his eyes wide and alarmed.

“What’s going on? Mara? What’s happened to Mara?” Dropping the bag, the twin, who Drew now had to presume was the actual Aria, ran to his brother, who sat up and opened his arms.

“It’s alright. Nothing’s wrong. I was just… I was lonely.”

“I’m sorry, Mara. I needed to dance. Then I went down to ask Alicia if we could go to the hotel later to…er…um…check things, but she wasn’t there and those were.” He waved his hand vaguely toward the bag, now lying discarded in the doorway. “As if we’d wear anything she chose.”

“Toast’s up,” Alicia said, putting a large plate in the middle of the table.

Aria stood up and reached out, but he was the only one. His hand hovered over the plate, then drew back. He looked around.

“No, something’s wrong. Don’t lie to me.” He straightened and put his hands on his hips, glaring at Drew.

“There were some more threats, that’s all,” Amara said rubbing his temple. “It’s being sorted. Drew and Jeff will keep us safe.”

“Of course they will,” Aria said with absolute confidence. “Don’t worry, Mara. You’re not worried, are you?” He peered closer.

Amara shrugged.

“Don’t be, Mara. It’s going to be okay. Ben’s gone now and tomorrow we can fix everything ourselves. It will be different now. Remember? We worked it out. We planned.”

Amara smiled, but there was little warmth in it. “I know. I know it’ll be fine. I’m just tired.”

“I’m not surprised. You don’t sleep anymore.”

“What?” Drew frowned.

Amara shrugged, but glared at Aria, who jutted his chin. “It’s true. We always start out together but you’re never there when I wake, even in the night, and when you are you cry.”

“What? I do not.”

“You do, when you’re sleeping.”

“You never told me that,” Amara said quietly. He rubbed at his face and sighed.

Drew kicked himself. How had he not noticed those dark circles around Amara’s eyes? He thought about it and realized that for days Amara had been walking around like a zombie. He’d thought it was because of the stress over Ben, and it probably was, but he hadn’t realized how bad.

Aria shrugged. “I didn’t know how. It scares me.”

“Don’t be scared.” Amara wrapped his arms around his brother. “I’m alright. I have a lot on my mind, but it’s getting better. You know what it’s like, talking to people.”

Aria nodded seriously. “Yes, but it is getting better. Isn’t it? Promise?”

Amara smiled a proper smiler for the first time. “Yes, it’s getting better. I don’t know what yours says to you but mine says it gets worse before it gets better.”

Drew assumed they were talking about their psychologists. They saw different ones, which surprised Drew, but seemed to work.

“It does,” Drew cut in, “but you don’t have to handle it alone. You can talk to me, or Jeff, at any time.”

“Don’t rope me in,” Jeff said, shaking his head, although a warm smile lifted his expression. “I’d tie you up in more knots than you were in when you started. I’m no good at the head stuff, I’m more a man of action.”

“I don’t know about that,” Drew said shaking his head. “You did alright with my head.”

“Yeah, but all you needed was a kick in the pants and a push in the right direction. I’d be afraid to kick these two. They’re so light they’d fly out the window.”

Both Aria and Amara stared at Jeff, with their uncannily similar expressions, then they glanced at each other and cracked up.

“We’re not that light,” Amara said grinning. “We’re deceptive. We should wrestle. I’m surprisingly good at it.”

“I’m not.” Aria shivered and shook his head. “I only like hugging Amara…and Drew too. Wrestling isn’t safe.”

Drew was about to ask why Aria didn’t feel safe, when he thought about it. Aria didn’t like being touched in a sexual or sensual way and wrestling got up close and personal. Drew had wrestled in the army and there had been more that one occasion when he had a face full of another man’s arse or crotch. He started to smile, when a sudden, shocking image flashed through his mind of wrestling with Amara. It came from nowhere and left him breathless and nauseous. He turned away to cover his confusion.

“Who’s for coffee?”

“Not right now,” Aria said, we have to sort this out.”

Drew glanced over his shoulder. Aria was waving at the dress bag he’d dropped on the floor.

“What is it?”

Aria picked up the bag and tugged the zip all the way open. He held up a…creation. It was a dress of brilliant turquoise silk. Crystals and pearls encrusted it from neck to just above the knee where its figure-hugging shape gave way to a frothing mass of net.

“It’s hideous,” Amara noted. “Where did it come from?”

“Mother, of course. She wants me to wear it tomorrow.”

Amara stared open-mouthed, then he started to laugh. Once started, he couldn’t stop until he was bent double, hugging himself. The laughter was so infectious, and so warranted that everyone was soon cracking up with him.

Eventually, Amara spluttered to a stop. “If-if she…. If she thinks I’m going to wear that to my party, she’s crazier than I thought she was and that’s pretty nuts.”

Aria hiccupped. “This is mine, yours is worse.”

“What? Worse than that? What, is it pink or something?”

“No, same colour, but it’s a suit. I think she’s given up trying to make you a girl. It’s got all this shit up the legs, and the shirt is all frothy and ruffled all over the place.”

Amara giggled again. “Oh hell no.”

“Shall I get Alicia to tell her no?”

Amara paused, then he shook his head, a sly expression on his face. “Let’s just leave it as a surprise, shall we? She knows we won’t wear them and she wants us to get upset and make a fuss, so we won’t. We’ll just wear our own stuff.”

“And what might that be?” Jeff asked, his expression innocent.

“You’ll have to wait and see.” Amara took the dress from Aria, strode across the kitchen and stuffed it in the bin. He then took it out and laid it on the counter. “We’ll give it to the charity shop. Someone might be dumb enough to wear it. I hope it’s somewhere Mother sees it.”

“Great idea. Give it here. I’ll get the suit and take it down to the office. What are we doing today? Did you want to make reservations for tonight?”

“Would you mind if we just stayed in?”

Amara jutted his bottom lip and Aria paused, the dress in his arms. For a moment he looked as if he were about to say something, but he just nodded. “Okay. Let’s not do it in the cinema though. Let’s just chill in the lounge.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Do we have to get dressed?”

“Hell no. Unless you need to for your video.”

“Taking a break today,” Aria said as he breezed out the door.

“I’ll go talk to the boss about tomorrow,” Jeff said. “Set it all up with whatever you do, but no rom coms and definitely no horror.”

Amara looked horrified. “But that doesn’t leave much.”

“It leaves plenty. Comedy, musicals, westerns.”

“No westerns,” Amara and Drew chorused.

Copyright © 2018 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 14
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It is like the sword of Damocles is hanging over them. Just a somber mood even if there wasn't more of a direct threat. What a pre birthday celebration?

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Jeff's assessment of the people behind the letters and photos is the same I've had from the beginning. This isn't simply a scare tactic or harassment. This is serious trouble. They are playing a dangerous game to continue with the party and it's a big gamble. It's risky even if they had totally unlimited resources and even though they have more resources, they aren't the unlimited kind a government would have at hand to protect a head of state.

 

Still, if they cancelled the party, there would still be risk of blind side attacks they might not be as ready to deal with. At least here they already have extra manpower in place and will plan for possible contingencies.

 

Jeff has fitted in well with the house dynamic. He's a bit of a party pooper on Drew with the reminders to stay professional. It's valid, but I'm not too sure it's for the best either. It's a delicate line with these boys. Drew has already gotten close and to pull back now would be damaging, probably more so than remaining close.

 

I'm glad Jeff arranged for some counseling with some trusted professionals outside the Farm Maid's supervision. The boys need the help.

 

The buildup to the party is getting agonizing.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

About flipping time! 

 

I've been waiting YEARS for this new chapter! Centuries in fact! 

 

Worth the wait though. 

Link to comment

Great chapter! This is leading up to something big!  I hope Jeff and Drew are prepared and can help the boys in the end! Thank you!

Link to comment

I'm painfully curious about the boys' tormentor. What could the boys have done in their relatively short lives to goad someone into terrorizing them preparatory to killing them? Is the unknown perpetrator trying to exact revenge? Acting out an insane obsession? Creating a smokescreen so that, if someone else in the household is killed, it will seem accidental? While the boys will be at the party, so will Mommy Dearest, and considering her scintillating personality, I presume that she has enemies of her own who would be happy about a little accident befalling her. Or considering that the terrorism is an inside job, could Mommy Dearest be the perp? (She seems to be crazy enough, and I can easily see her thinking that, if she can't have/control the twins, then no one will.) Oh, what a tangled web.... Can't wait to see what happens at the party!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, travlbug said:

I'm painfully curious about the boys' tormentor. What could the boys have done in their relatively short lives to goad someone into terrorizing them preparatory to killing them? Is the unknown perpetrator trying to exact revenge? Acting out an insane obsession? Creating a smokescreen so that, if someone else in the household is killed, it will seem accidental? While the boys will be at the party, so will Mommy Dearest, and considering her scintillating personality, I presume that she has enemies of her own who would be happy about a little accident befalling her. Or considering that the terrorism is an inside job, could Mommy Dearest be the perp? (She seems to be crazy enough, and I can easily see her thinking that, if she can't have/control the twins, then no one will.) Oh, what a tangled web.... Can't wait to see what happens at the party!

 

It might not be about the boys. It could be about one of the parents. We've already witnessed how horrible the Farm Maid can be to her own family, now imagine what she has done to people she isn't related to.

 

I doubt she is the perp. She causes more than enough mayhem out in the open.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I feel as if I am on this horrible roller coaster; I can see this huge drop coming but just never seem to arrive.  Wonderful chapter, can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/6/2018 at 11:56 PM, comicfan said:

It is like the sword of Damocles is hanging over them. Just a somber mood even if there wasn't more of a direct threat. What a pre birthday celebration?

It is like the sword of Damocles. It can't be easy to know that someone out there wants to hurt them and to never know when they are going to strike. No wonder they want to keep their heads down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/7/2018 at 3:59 AM, drpaladin said:

Jeff's assessment of the people behind the letters and photos is the same I've had from the beginning. This isn't simply a scare tactic or harassment. This is serious trouble. They are playing a dangerous game to continue with the party and it's a big gamble. It's risky even if they had totally unlimited resources and even though they have more resources, they aren't the unlimited kind a government would have at hand to protect a head of state.

 

Still, if they cancelled the party, there would still be risk of blind side attacks they might not be as ready to deal with. At least here they already have extra manpower in place and will plan for possible contingencies.

 

Jeff has fitted in well with the house dynamic. He's a bit of a party pooper on Drew with the reminders to stay professional. It's valid, but I'm not too sure it's for the best either. It's a delicate line with these boys. Drew has already gotten close and to pull back now would be damaging, probably more so than remaining close.

 

I'm glad Jeff arranged for some counseling with some trusted professionals outside the Farm Maid's supervision. The boys need the help.

 

The buildup to the party is getting agonizing.

 

Jeff's influence has been all good so far. He's a good man and being a father he has more of an idea how to handle young people than Drew. On the other hand he is a father figure and although the boys need that, they need a friend more. As for Drew's "professionalism", that's going to get him into a whole heap of trouble.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 12/7/2018 at 6:59 AM, Cris L said:

About flipping time! 

 

I've been waiting YEARS for this new chapter! Centuries in fact! 

 

Worth the wait though. 

 

Hehe. I can just imagine your hair turning white as you wait patiently :D. Sorry. I'm a pretty stubborn person and I was going to win NaNo if it killed me :D I hope it was worth the wait

Link to comment
On 12/7/2018 at 12:01 PM, mfa607 said:

Great chapter! This is leading up to something big!  I hope Jeff and Drew are prepared and can help the boys in the end! Thank you!

 

Oh you can be sure Drew is in it for the long run. You're very welcome. It's my pleasure

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/7/2018 at 10:24 PM, travlbug said:

I'm painfully curious about the boys' tormentor. What could the boys have done in their relatively short lives to goad someone into terrorizing them preparatory to killing them? Is the unknown perpetrator trying to exact revenge? Acting out an insane obsession? Creating a smokescreen so that, if someone else in the household is killed, it will seem accidental? While the boys will be at the party, so will Mommy Dearest, and considering her scintillating personality, I presume that she has enemies of her own who would be happy about a little accident befalling her. Or considering that the terrorism is an inside job, could Mommy Dearest be the perp? (She seems to be crazy enough, and I can easily see her thinking that, if she can't have/control the twins, then no one will.) Oh, what a tangled web.... Can't wait to see what happens at the party!

Oh the party will be eventful, you can be sure of that. As to the motivation of whoever's behind the threats? Well, it's complicated and that's all I'm going to say :D

Link to comment
On 12/7/2018 at 11:30 PM, drpaladin said:

 

It might not be about the boys. It could be about one of the parents. We've already witnessed how horrible the Farm Maid can be to her own family, now imagine what she has done to people she isn't related to.

 

I doubt she is the perp. She causes more than enough mayhem out in the open.

Very astute. Nothing is off the table at the moment :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/9/2018 at 4:46 AM, centexhairysub said:

I feel as if I am on this horrible roller coaster; I can see this huge drop coming but just never seem to arrive.  Wonderful chapter, can't wait to see what happens next.

 

I hope you don't get sick :D I hate roller coasters. I've only ever been on little ones and they were bad enough. No way will I ever go on a big one.  I'm not afraid of heights but I hate giving up control and I hate that feeling in your stomach when you come down. Nope, not for me 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..