Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 4,515 Words
  • 5,867 Views
  • 47 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aria Graice - 8. Chapter 8

When Drew woke the next morning, the room was dark, and he was momentarily confused as to where he was. Senses honed in dark jungles, bleak deserts and the streets of bombed out cities, told him he was not alone in the room.

The confusion cleared fast and he remembered the previous night. Aria and Amara had been fast asleep when they’d got back to the house and were walking zombies when Drew ushered them through the door and up the stairs.

Ben had wanted to take charge of Amara, but Drew had refused point blank, daring Ben to stand against him. He’d insisted both Aria and Amara slept in Aria’s bedroom, and just to make sure, once he was sure both boys were showered and in bed, he ‘d slipped back into their room and settled on a chair next to the door. He was pretty sure Ben hadn’t gone home, but no one had tried to enter the room.

Drew stretched. He wasn’t unused to sleeping in a chair, but he’d been getting soft and there were cricks in his back and neck that needed a good stretch to work them out. A glance at his watch showed five a.m. The boys should be fine now. He slipped out and over to his own room where he took a much-appreciated shower. He then settled down with a book to await movement or nine a.m. whichever came first.

He was woken out of a light doze by a hesitant tap on the door. It was a little after seven. He sat up and pulled on his boots, then answered the door. It was a freshly washed twin, dressed in grey lounge pants and t-shirt. A pattern of tiny pink hearts decorated the trousers, and one big pink heart adorned the front of the t-shirt. They were definitely Aria’s. Drew couldn’t, however, be certain it was Aria wearing them.

“Can I help you?”

“You slept in our room last night.”

Our room? From the attitude, this was definitely Amara.

“I slept in Aria’s room, yes.”

Amara huffed and pushed past into Drew’s room. “How do you know?”

“Do you want to know a secret? I don’t – until you open your mouth.”

Amara glared at Drew, then smiled. “Fair point. Truth is, we’re not much alike at all.”

“I don’t know. I think you’re more similar than you think.”

Amara huffed and sat on the bed, bouncing a little. Drew would have felt uncomfortable if he’d had his usual smirk, but there was something about Amara today that made him seem pensive and uncertain.

“We don’t, you know?”

“Don’t what?”

“Sleep together. Well, we do but…not like that. I love my brother very much, possibly more than I could ever love a lover, but he’ll never be that. Never. It’s important you know that.”

“Why? Why is it important I know anything? I’m just a minder. Why should you care what I think about you?”

“I don’t. I don’t care what you think about me, but I do care what you think about Aria, because Aria cares. He likes you and I think… I think you could be good for him. He’s not….” Amara paused, expressions fleeing across his face. “I’m not going to tell you his secrets, that’s for him, but he’s not as strong as people think he is. He’s not the person people think he is.”

“And what about you?”

“Me?” Amara seemed confused, frowning at Drew with a puzzled expression on his pixie face. It almost made Drew want to laugh, but he didn’t.

“Are you the person everyone thinks you are?”

Amara chuckled. “Oh yeah, I’m exactly the person everyone thinks I am.”

“I don’t believe that. Not for a minute.”

Amara tilted his head to one side and gazed at Drew, his expression entirely neutral. “Believe it,” he said at last. “Everything they say is true.”

Drew shook his head, but Amara held up his hand to silence him.

“I’m a fuck up and I know it. I’m damned good at what I do and that’s the problem. I’m good at everything I do.” Darkness dripped from every word along with a certain bleakness that made Drew shiver.

“What did that man mean tonight – that you owed him? What did he really mean?”

Amara shrugged. “Only that I’ve worked my way around most of his friends, so he thinks it’s his turn.”

“Why do you do it? You and Aria? You must know you’re beautiful. You both have great careers, an amazing home…. You have everything going for you, so why the drink and drugs? Why the….”

“Sex?”

“Yeah, the sex. Why do you sell yourself so short?”

Amara made a sound somewhere between a laugh and a sob. “You have no idea.”

“Then give me one.”

“Look, what I do and who I do it with is none of your business. I know you want to help Aria, and that’s great, but don’t try it with me. I can take care of myself; always have and always will. I can take care of Aria too.”

“Is that what you do when you swap identities? Take care of him? Keep him safe from people who want to do to him what they do to you?”

Amara winced and flushed. His mouth and throat worked but nothing came out.

“I know boys like you,” Drew said softly. “I’ve seen them all over. “They do everything they can everything to take care of someone – a parent, a sibling, even a lover – but they don’t take care of themselves. It never ends well.”

“I am taking care of myself.”

“Do you really enjoy it? A different bed every night – maybe more than one bed? A different body, a different set of kinks. One night after the other until you can’t remember who you’re with anymore, and more than that you can’t remember why, because any pleasure you got from it died a long time ago.”

Again, Amara opened and closed his mouth without a sound emerging. He bowed his head, long blond hair falling forward to obscure his face.

“I’m not that bad,” he mumbled. “It’s not every night. Nowhere near every night.”

“Same question. Do you enjoy it?”

Amara raised his head enough to stare at Drew, emotions flickering through his eyes. He was clearly in two minds, probably whether to get up and walk away, give his usual, flippant answer, or just maybe to be honest for once.

“No,” he whispered at last.

“Then why do it?”

Amara shook his head.

“Do you think you’re protecting Aria by putting yourself at risk? And what about tonight? When you are pretending to be Aria, everyone thinks he’s you. How long do you think it will be before someone does something that gets out of hand? Aria isn’t going to kick up a fuss. He’ll get hurt. I’m here to make sure that doesn’t happen, but I can’t be everywhere.” He gave Amara a pointed look. “You won’t let me.”

Amara had the good grace to look a little sheepish.

“It’s got out of hand,” Amara admitted. “At first, it was just the odd once or twice – for both of us. We’ve been going to adult parties since we were very young, and we were kind of precocious. We’d fall in love with someone, sneak off, get into trouble and it was great fun. At least it was for me. We didn’t start actually having sex until about a year ago, although everyone thought it was sooner. People like to brag, and we didn’t put them straight.”

“People lied about having sex with you when you were what sixteen, seventeen?” Drew was shocked to his core. They were just kids, being taken advantage of by who knows who.

“Well we did…fool around. I guess it wasn’t so far away from sex. Back then, it was only people we liked.”

“And they still made false claims.”

Amara flushed. “Yeah,” he mumbled. “Anyway, it was all sweet and innocent to start with, but it kind of got out of hand and I didn’t… I don’t know how to stop it. It’s not so bad. It’s not as if I’m a prostitute or anything.”

“And the drugs?”

“What about them? Everybody snorts coke and smokes weed. I mean everyone.”

“Not everyone, Amara. I think you take drugs to make the sex easier because I don’t think you want it any more than Aria does.”

“And I’m supposed to care what you think?” Amara snarled. “You’re just…staff, like you said. You’re not my father, not even family. What right do you have to dictate what I do?”

Oh, hit a nerve there. “Not dictate, Amara, just point out. I couldn’t help noticing tonight that the majority of people at that party were much older than you, and no one else from the band or that we saw around the Arena were there. Isn’t that a bit unusual for an after-show party?”

Amara swallowed and shrugged. “It was mainly for Aria. They’re contacts, people Mother is encouraging him to mix with. The after-party wasn’t going to get us noticed by anyone.” He shrugged. “They clashed.”

“Miss Montgomery thinks you went to the after-party.”

“Miss who? Oh, Alicia. Well, she doesn’t know everything.”

“Maybe you didn’t tell her because you knew she wouldn’t approve.”

“Oh, for God’s sake stop moralizing at me. Stop treating me like some silly kid. I know everything you’re pointing out and it doesn’t make any difference. This is my life and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

“That’s fair enough, but it’s Aria I’m thinking about. He’s the one I’m here to protect.”

Amara sneered. “Of course. How silly of me. And here I was thinking you gave a shit about me. I should have known it was all about Aria as usual.”

Amara got to his feet and made for the door. Drew caught him around the wrist and literally threw him onto the bed.

“What the fuck?”

“Sit,” Drew commanded.

“I’m not a dog,” Amara growled sullenly, but he remained put.

“Yes, I care about Aria. That’s my job as his bodyguard, and as his friend, but that doesn’t mean I can’t care about you too. Something’s going on. I smell bullshit a million miles away and you’re in to it up to your neck. As I see it, you have two choices right at this moment. You can tell me what’s going on so I can help you, or you can keep pretending you actually want to be whore.”

“I am not,” Amara began, but the fight went out of him far faster than Drew had thought it would.

Shockingly, Amara turned over onto his stomach and buried his face in a pillow, then started to sob.

Drew had never been good with crying. He didn’t do it himself and couldn’t understand what was going on with people who did. Being in the army most of his life, he’d seen men at their lowest ebb, terrified out of their wits. Young recruits often cried with fear and homesickness, but it wasn’t like this. On those occasions, an awkward pat on the back sufficed, then leaving them alone to get themselves under control without feeling any less of a man. That was more bullshit of course. Crying doesn’t make you less of a man, especially when you’re eighteen, straight out of college and facing the reality that the promise “join the army and see the world” was a whole lot worse than bullshit. Facing your mortality whilst still a teen, miles away from everything you find familiar, with a bunch of strangers and the real possibility you’ll be expected to kill-or-be-killed, did bad things to a man and often the only way they could deal with it was being more “manly”. Pride was the only thing they had to hold on to. Bullshit piled on bullshit in the middle of a whole load of bullshit.

That was never going to be an issue with the Gracie boys. Amara, and even more so Aria, were more comfortable with their feminine side, without being overtly camp or femme, than anyone Drew had ever met. They were effortlessly androgynous and nothing about either of them seemed forced or unnatural. And so, Amara was weeping freely and openly with no concern about the possibility of being thought “girly” whatever the hell that meant anyway. In his experience, the women in his life were emotionally stronger than the men. In the Valleys, crying wasn’t seen as a sense of weakness. Whole pubs-full of burly rugby players would cry like babies when Wales won (or lost), especially against England.

Even so, Drew had no idea how to comfort Amara, so he stood uncomfortably and watched. After a while, he sat down. It didn’t feel right to speak or touch Amara. Maybe Amara needed a hug, but that wasn’t really something Drew was comfortable with, so he sat it out.

Eventually, Amara stopped crying, but he didn’t turn his head.

“Please,” he whispered. “Don’t tell Aria.”

“Tell Aria what?”

“How much—That—Just…. Don’t tell him I freaked out.”

“Okay. Any particular reason why? I mean it’s not as if he doesn’t know what you get up to. He’s usually right there with you.”

“But that’s the point – he’s not. He doesn’t—” Amara brought himself up sharply and curled on his side with his back to Drew. “He just doesn’t. He’s so naïve. He never even thinks about it. Even if he did, I’d never tell him how much…. How….”

“How much it hurts.”

“Yeah.”

“Please, Amara, tell me why you do it if hurts you so much. No one is forcing you to sleep around – are they?”

The silence stretched, and Drew’s neck started prickling. Anger washed over him in waves. If someone was—

As if reading his mind, Amara sighed. “Not exactly. Not in the way you think.”

“Then in what way?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Why not? What’s stopping you?”

“I promised,” he whispered.

“Promised who? What did you promise? Amara, please talk to me. I can help you.”

“Me.” A voice from the doorway had both Drew and Amara sitting up straighter. Drew hadn’t even heard the door open. Christ, he was losing it.

“Aria, don’t,” Amara said, but Aria held up his hand. He slipped in and closed the door. “Amara sleeps with people, so I don’t have to.”

“I don’t understand.”

“We have reputations to keep up,” Aria said flatly.

“Why on earth would either of you want to keep up reputations as sluts?”

Aria visibly winced. “You don’t understand. It’s not about sleeping around so much as…well…not sleeping around. And everyone knows everyone else, so people would talk.”

“So what? There are worse things that could be said about you than that you don’t sleep around.”

“You don’t understand.”

Aria sat on the bed and Amara repositioned until he was sitting on the edge and could put his arms around his brother. They sat there together, perched on the edge of the bed looking uncomfortable and stressed. What the hell was going on here?

“If I don’t understand, make me. I want to understand. I want to help.”

“You can’t help. Not unless you want to start something with Aria. The media don’t much care as long as it’s someone.”

“Well that isn’t going to happen, so why don’t you tell me what exactly is going on. I don’t get it.”

The two boys exchanged glances. In that moment, they looked a whole lot younger than their seventeen years.

It was Aria who spoke. He gripped his brother’s hand until his knuckles were white. Amara winced but didn’t try to pull away.

“Ou-our mother is…. She….”

“Your mother is pressurizing you to be promiscuous?”

“No. Yes. Please, just let me tell it in my own way.”

Drew was confused as hell, but he nodded. “Alright, but are you sure you want to? Believe it or not, I seem to have taken a liking to you, both of you. I didn’t think I would, but what do you know? Here we are. I’ve known you for a day and you’ve got me giving a shit. I must be getting soft.”

Aria chuckled. “You’re like Father. Hard and cold on the outside, soft and squidgy on the inside.”

Amara snorted. “Don’t let him hear you say that. He has a reputation to keep up, too. Mother’s harder on him than us.”

“Are you close to your parents?”

A strange look passed between them, one Drew had noticed before. It was as if they were having whole conversations with their eyes that no one else was privy too.

“Kind of. With Father, anyway. He was the one who used to play with us, took us to the park, taught us stuff like fishing and riding bikes. That kind of thing.”

“When he could,” Amara broke in. “He’s always been away a lot.”

“He does a lot of filming abroad.”

“When we were kids we’d go along sometimes.”

“We’d pretend we were in the film. Sometimes they’d let us film a bit.”

“It depended on who the director was.”

“Some of them were mean.”

“Some were dicks.”

“Some of them were awesome.”

Drew had a hard time keeping up as the twins bounced the conversation back and forth, one starting to speak before the other quite finished. They lit up when they talked about their father and the things they’d got up to when he was home, or when they were visiting his film sets.

“Did you ever visit your mother when she was filming?”

The conversation stopped, and a shutter came down.

“Sometimes,” Aria said carefully. “She doesn’t really like us around when she’s working.”

“She doesn’t really like us around at all.”

“Don’t say that, Mara. She’s busy, that’s all.”

“Right.”

Amara pursed his lips. Clearly this was not the first time the boys had had this argument and Amara backed off quickly. Instead, the turned to Drew, his expression thunderous.

“She wanted girls,” he said, refusing to allow his brother to contradict. He slanted a look at Aria. “You know she did. She’s told us she did. She told us over and over and over. He turned his attention back to Drew while Aria clung to his arm with eyes as wide as saucers. “When we were kids she dressed us like girls – in pink, in dresses, in glitter. In the beginning we tried hard to be girls, so she’d love us. We did everything together when she was home – went shopping, had our hair and nails done. She even called us her girls.”

“I tried to be a girl once,” Aria said, such wistfulness in his voice that for a moment Drew didn’t register what he’d said.

“You’re transgender?” he asked carefully, wondering if that had anything to do with the whole sex thing.

Aria bit his lip and shook his head. He seemed almost guilty.

Amara picked up the story. There was no wistfulness in his voice, only anger. “When we got to about thirteen I got sick of trying to be something I’m not. We were doing modelling and Mother was always on the set, always fussing around, always trying to make us more feminine and always calling us her girls. It was bloody embarrassing. Most of the time people started off thinking we were girls and the comments weren’t kind when they found out we weren’t. At least not those Mother couldn’t hear.”

“Did you get bullied at school?”

Amara scoffed. “Don’t be silly. Mother would never dream of sending her precious little girls to school. There’s no knowing what bad habits we might have picked up. God forbid we might have made friends, or started behaving like boys. We were educated at home. Tutors mostly. Not that Mother really cared if we had an education or could string two coherent words together. If it hadn’t been the law, she wouldn’t have bothered even with that.”

“She did her best,” Aria said, chewing on his bottom lip. “She’s just overprotective.”

“She’s bloody insane. She practically disowned me when I told her I wasn’t going to wear dresses anymore and I wasn’t going to pretend to be a bloody girl for her or anyone. That was just before my music career took off and if there’s one thing mother values more than a daughter it’s fame.”

“That’s not fair,” Aria said, scowling.

Amara scowled right back. “And putting pressure on you to transition to a girl when everyone knew damn well it’s not what you wanted, and you were only doing it for her? That was fair?” Aria winced and shied away.

With a visible effort, Amara got himself under control and took Aria into his arms, rubbing his cheek on his brother’s hair. “I’m sorry. You know it make me mad. I can’t believe you would have done that, and I can’t believe she would have let you. I think…I think out of everything she’s ever done to us that was the most unforgivable.”

“I’m sorry,” Aria whispered. “I’m just…. I’m not as strong as you. I couldn’t stand up to her. I just want her to love me.”

“I know, love. And she takes advantage of that. It’s not your fault, and it doesn’t make you weak.”

Drew watched the exchange between the brothers with interest and growing horror. For the love of God, this woman was a monster. “Has your mother ever seen anyone about…this?” Drew asked and both boys turned their full attention to him. It was creepy the way they synchronized their movements and expressions sometimes. It was like looking at a person and their reflection. He shivered, fleetingly feeling like he was in some creepy horror story.

“It’s been suggested,” Amara said. “Just about everyone we know has brought it up at some point. Everyone can see what she is, but they’re all scared of her, so they back off. She needs a shrink more than anyone I know. She’s a fucking nutcase.”

“She isn’t,” Aria insisted. “She’s just….”

Amara gazed directly at Drew, his voice cold and flat. “She said she thinks we’re her punishment, the price she has to pay for having everything. She’s beautiful, talented, rich, and loved, so God gave her boys…us, to punish her. She said that all she ever wanted was a little girl to be just like her. Someone she could be a friend to, who could understand what she goes through to stay beautiful.”

“Well, she has a point,” Aria piped in. “It is hard.”

“Oh, for God’s sake, Aria, stop sticking up for her. You know she’s crazy.”

“But…”

“What about your father?” Drew had noticed Aria begin to shake and he was afraid he was about to break down. He prayed that diverting attention to their father would help. The boys seemed to have more connection there.

“He thinks it’s ridiculous,” Amara said, jutting his chin. “He knows she’s insane as much as anyone else. That’s why he…well….”

“He has affairs,” Aria said sadly.

“You can’t blame him.”

“I don’t.”

“She doesn’t care anyway.”

“I know.”

“You know she screws her “assistants” right?”

“You know I do,” Aria snapped. He glanced at Drew and deflated. “I caught them once.”

“Father at least hides it from us.”

“Yeah.”

“He tries to be a good father,” Amara said, glaring at Drew as if daring him to judge. “I know we’ve got the most fucked up family ever, but Father tries his best. He really does. And we absolutely know he loves us – just as we are.”

Aria gave a weak smiled. “He calls us his little miracles.”

“That’s because Mother couldn’t have children and she had to go through a lot of shit to have us.”

“She feels that after all that she deserves the perfect child.”

“And that was never us. We did our best but nothing we did could ever be good enough. I gave up and outright rebelled when we were fourteen. I yelled at her even more than Father, and she handled it, as she always does, by running away. I haven’t really seen or spoken to her since. We’ve been in the same place at the same time, I just have nothing to say to her.”

Drew smiled at the idea of fourteen-year-old Amara, hands on hips, standing up to the spoiled diva. God, fur and feathers must have flown.

Amara scowled at him. “It’s not funny. Aria’s still trying, still dressing like a girl to please her.”

Aria had his head bowed and turned slightly away from his brother. “I don’t dress like a girl,” he said. “Not always. I just dress like me. I don’t do it for her. I just wear what I’m comfortable in.”

“Right.”

“Don’t be mean, Mara. Please.”

Amara tightened his arms around his brother. “I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be mean. I just hate that you do that, and she doesn’t care.”

“I don’t do it for her, not anymore. It’s who I am.”

Amara gave him a sideway glance. “You’re not really trans are you? Have you been all this time? Did we—”

Aria laughed softly. “No, I’m not trans. I like being a boy. I just like being a boy who wears nice clothes, that sometimes are dresses.”

“Oh. Okay. To be honest, I don’t mind wearing them when I’m pretending to be you. When you stopped making us wear stockings. I hate wearing stockings.”

Aria laughed. “That’s the best part.”

Drew shook his head. “As fascinating as it is, listening to you two, none of this explains why you change places to have sex.”

The playfulness that had crept into their banter fell away and again that look passed between them. Aria dropped his head and Amara laid his hand over both his brother’s, in Aria’s lap.

“It’s okay,” he said. “We don’t have to do this. We don’t have to tell him anything. He’s not a friend, not really. We only met him yesterday. We don’t know anything about him and he doesn’t know anything about us.”

Drew kept quiet. It was a fair comment after all.

“No one ever does. No one ever will. We never have a chance to make friends. Not proper ones. Who can we trust? I can’t do it anymore, Mara. I can’t let you do it anymore. It was okay when—No, it wasn’t okay. It was never okay and I don’t want to do it anymore. I trust Drew. I know we haven’t known him for long, but I trust him, I really do. He’s not like Ben.”

Drew narrowed his eyes at the wince Amara made even at the mention of Ben’s name. Something was going on. There was no longer any doubt in his mind about that. Something was going on and he intended to find out what, but that was for another day.

Copyright © 2018 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 10
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 6
  • Angry 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Ugh! So close and then you end the chapter! lol. Poor kids, what a rough freaking life. To never truly have someone on your side, someone who bats for you...just terrible. I can’t imagine the things they’ve been through. 

 

More!

Edited by Mrsgnomie
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The first read on this situation, which I got from the group photo of the family, was the father was the distant and uncaring parent. It was entirely opposite. The body language in the photo was from being in the room with his wife, not his boys. Frankly, I'd have slipped her a mickey and had her sent to some treatment facility long ago if I were him. This reminds me in some ways of how actor Patrick Macnee said he was brought up. His mother and her lover, Uncle Evelyn, wouldn't allow men in the house and insisted he wore dresses. It is a cruel way to raise a child.

 

I have a serious foreboding about Aria's words, "I tried to be a girl once." When I put it and he and Amara switching places together, it tells me the attempt to be a girl may have gone way too far. Children will go to great  lengths for the love and affection they crave. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Wow what a chapter. We find out a lot about Aria and Amara, still a lot to find out. There mother sounds like a right pyscotic bitch.

 

You don't know how right you are :D

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Wow! Parents can really fuck up their kids!! Great chapter! 

Thank you. Sadly, that's very true. I've seen it so much in practice.

  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Ugh! So close and then you end the chapter! lol. Poor kids, what a rough freaking life. To never truly have someone on your side, someone how bats for you...terrible. I can’t imagine the things they’ve been through. 

 

More!

 

There will be, I promise. I kind of broke my own unwritten rule by starting to post before I finished the story, so I'm still writing it and there are things popping up that even surprise me :D For one thing, the person I'd intended to be behind all the bad shit going down unexpectedly stepped aside and a new monster took the stage. And oh my were they worse than the first.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
Just now, Nephylim said:

 

There will be, I promise. I kind of broke my own unwritten rule by starting to post before I finished the story, so I'm still writing it and there are things popping up that even surprise me :D For one thing, the person I'd intended to be behind all the bad shit going down unexpectedly stepped aside and a new monster took the stage. And oh my were they worse than the first.

 

I totally understand this. I'll start a story (or even a chapter) with an idea, but it all transforms as I write. I always end up surprising myself, like, I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING! Which is a funny statement coming from the author lol.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Nephylim said:

 

There will be, I promise. I kind of broke my own unwritten rule by starting to post before I finished the story, so I'm still writing it and there are things popping up that even surprise me :D For one thing, the person I'd intended to be behind all the bad shit going down unexpectedly stepped aside and a new monster took the stage. And oh my were they worse than the first.

 

Characters can be such sneaky devils. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

The first read on this situation, which I got from the group photo of the family, was the father was the distant and uncaring parent. It was entirely opposite. The body language in the photo was from being in the room with his wife, not his boys. Frankly, I'd have slipped her a mickey and had her sent to some treatment facility long ago if I were him. This reminds me in some ways of how actor Patrick Macnee said he was brought up. His mother and her lover, Uncle Evelyn, wouldn't allow men in the house and insisted he wore dresses. It is a cruel way to raise a child.

 

I have a serious foreboding about Aria's words, "I tried to be a girl once." When I put it and he and Amara switching places together, it tells me the attempt to be a girl may have gone way too far. Children will go to great  lengths for the love and affection they crave. 

 

Just to be clear, Aria's comment about trying to be a girl referred to his agreeing to transition in order to please his mother, nothing else. Aria is not transgender and he hasn't tried to make any physical changes, although I'm pretty sure he would have if she'd asked. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Nephylim said:

 

Just to be clear, Aria's comment about trying to be a girl referred to his agreeing to transition in order to please his mother, nothing else. Aria is not transgender and he hasn't tried to make any physical changes, although I'm pretty sure he would have if she'd asked. 

 

Well, that's a relief.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

 

I totally understand this. I'll start a story (or even a chapter) with an idea, but it all transforms as I write. I always end up surprising myself, like, I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING! Which is a funny statement coming from the author lol.

 

There are two kinds of authors, plotters and pantsers. Plotters have everything planned out in advance, sometimes with story boards, chapter plans, images etc. They have some creative scope within the process but basically the whole thing from beginning to end is sketched out from the start. Then there are pantsers who start with a blank page and just write. That's me :D I usually have a broad plan - the kind of story I want to write, the characters, maybe a scene here and there - but that's it. As I start to write, more of the story comes to me. That's why I don't ever start posting a story until it's at least half way through, usually finished. Things crop up and I have to go back and change things that happened earlier to fit them in :D

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Oh my God that psychotic bitch! Poor Aria! 

Oh she is. i can't wait for you to meet her :D Only a few chapters to wait. She's a nightmare.

  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

 

Characters can be such sneaky devils. 

 

Tell me about it! You can't trust them as far as you can sput. You think you know someone.....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Just now, Nephylim said:

 

There are two kinds of authors, plotters and pantsers. Plotters have everything planned out in advance, sometimes with story boards, chapter plans, images etc. They have some creative scope within the process but basically the whole thing from beginning to end is sketched out from the start. Then there are pantsers who start with a blank page and just write. That's me :D I usually have a broad plan - the kind of story I want to write, the characters, maybe a scene here and there - but that's it. As I start to write, more of the story comes to me. That's why I don't ever start posting a story until it's at least half way through, usually finished. Things crop up and I have to go back and change things that happened earlier to fit them in :D

 

Yes, this. I have a vague story board in my mind. Things I'd like to see mature, characters, scenes...but nothing is concrete until it's written. My first story, I didn't post until it was completely done. My current story was 3/4 finished. We're the same people.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Just now, Mrsgnomie said:

 

Yes, this. I have a vague story board in my mind. Things I'd like to see mature, characters, scenes...but nothing is concrete until it's written. My first story, I didn't post until it was completely done. My current story was 3/4 finished. We're the same people.

High five sistah:D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
51 minutes ago, Nephylim said:

 

There are two kinds of authors, plotters and pantsers. Plotters have everything planned out in advance, sometimes with story boards, chapter plans, images etc. They have some creative scope within the process but basically the whole thing from beginning to end is sketched out from the start. Then there are pantsers who start with a blank page and just write. That's me :D I usually have a broad plan - the kind of story I want to write, the characters, maybe a scene here and there - but that's it. As I start to write, more of the story comes to me. That's why I don't ever start posting a story until it's at least half way through, usually finished. Things crop up and I have to go back and change things that happened earlier to fit them in :D

 

There is merit in both approaches. The first is the only way to successfully and consistently accomplish collaborative projects such as films. You have too many people and too much money involved to muck it up with excessive last minute changes. Film directors who chance the second approach tend toward massive cost overruns and big failures. Writers have the advantage of being the sole arbiter. It's an exhilarating freedom, but it can get a bit scary too.

 

Even when going by the seat of your pants, I think it is a good idea to have at a minimum a storyboard of the characters involved. This is more important with long, involved stories. I read a series awhile back and Joey (not the real character names here) ended up in a long term relationship with Darren. It was clear from the story line it should have been with Kurt, but Kurt suddenly morphed into Darren. Readers noticed and it was an uh oh moment for the poor writer.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

 

There is merit in both approaches. The first is the only way to successfully and consistently accomplish collaborative projects such as films. You have too many people and too much money involved to muck it up with excessive last minute changes. Film directors who chance the second approach tend toward massive cost overruns and big failures. Writers have the advantage of being the sole arbiter. It's an exhilarating freedom, but it can get a bit scary too.

 

Absolutely. I'm shit at writing screenplays. I thought it would be a piece of cake given that most of my stories are so heavy in dialogue. HAH! no. I've never managed to finish one, so I'm sticking to novels. I have tried plotting. I have an entire series of eight books set in a haunted hotel planned out, with floor plans of all the rooms, titles and sketches of each book with files of photographs for everything from characters to room design. I had an absolute blast getting it all together, but when it sat down to start writing I was bored with it and the writing just won't come. I've put it aside for other projects so who knows, maybe in the future when I've forgotten everything and can start again I'll pick it up. 

 

I don't find it scary at all. It's exhilarating. It's a therapy, a way to work out what I think about certain subjects, a way to make sense of the world and an absolute treat when I get to certain parts that get my pulse racing (not the sex bits). There's nothing I enjoy more than spending a few hours with my boys torturing the hell out of them and loving every minute. No, actually that's not entirely true. If there's one thing I love more than writing my boys it's talking about them, so thank you :D

  • Love 3
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

 

There is merit in both approaches. The first is the only way to successfully and consistently accomplish collaborative projects such as films. You have too many people and too much money involved to muck it up with excessive last minute changes. Film directors who chance the second approach tend toward massive cost overruns and big failures. Writers have the advantage of being the sole arbiter. It's an exhilarating freedom, but it can get a bit scary too.

 

Even when going by the seat of your pants, I think it is a good idea to have at a minimum a storyboard of the characters involved. This is more important with long, involved stories. I read a series awhile back and Joey (not the real character names here) ended up in a long term relationship with Darren. It was clear from the story line it should have been with Kurt, but Kurt suddenly morphed into Darren. Readers noticed and it was an uh oh moment for the poor writer.

I've occasionally called a character by the wrong name, but it's usually because I've been reading a book (mine or someone else's) and the name of a character has stuck in my head when I'm writing. I have no more difficulty keeping my characters straight in my head than my children (and that's not saying never to either :D) To me, my characters are real people, and I "see" them in my head. I "know" them, so it's very rare I get their eye colour or name or anything else mixed up. 

 

However, I'm getting old and my memory's not what it was, so I have started keeping files of basic information as well as pictures of main characters and places to help me keep things straight. For me, planning things out, even a bare bones, takes the magic away before it starts. When I get an idea I have to write it down and if I pause to plan how to write it down it takes the edge off. Meh, maybe I'm just weird. No, I absolutely am weird but this is just about the writing :D

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

As enlightening (and horrifying) as this was, stopping it just as they're about to answer the question they started with was like a kick in the teeth.  Of course, this is the foundation of essentially all their problems so it makes sense, but still...

 

Well played.

 

And it's a shame that the father can't seem to openly challenge his wife - I'm sure he loves his kids but sometimes it's just not that simple.  Doesn't mean he shouldn't try of course.  Scandal be damned, expose her as the psychotic monster she is.  Secret recording of a rant, anything?  To protect people you care about, sometimes you have to be a little diabolical.

 

Lastly, Aria seems to have some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going here (apologies if someone else has already mentioned this - I didn't read all the comments).  Still was irritating to hear him keep trying to defend her and nice to see Amara shut that down.  I can see how when you love someone, you want to explain why they are the way they are and "it's not their fault" but when you're so betrayed by people supposed to care for you, well, I'm more like Amara here.  There's just a point where you have to take a stand against your tormenter.  Even if they're hurting or have issues, you have to put yourself first and cut them off.  

 

PS Seeing Drew called out Amara over the dangers of switching was a relief.  

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
5 minutes ago, Nephylim said:

I've occasionally called a character by the wrong name, but it's usually because I've been reading a book (mine or someone else's) and the name of a character has stuck in my head when I'm writing. I have no more difficulty keeping my characters straight in my head than my children (and that's not saying never to either :D) To me, my characters are real people, and I "see" them in my head. I "know" them, so it's very rare I get their eye colour or name or anything else mixed up. 

 

However, I'm getting old and my memory's not what it was, so I have started keeping files of basic information as well as pictures of main characters and places to help me keep things straight. For me, planning things out, even a bare bones, takes the magic away before it starts. When I get an idea I have to write it down and if I pause to plan how to write it down it takes the edge off. Meh, maybe I'm just weird. No, I absolutely am weird but this is just about the writing :D

 

Well, this was a three book series and this writer is incredibly productive. He was writing who knows how many other works simultaneously. If you are gifted with the most perfect brain filing system, it can go cattywampus when you are transitioning back and forth on different stories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

OK! Two bodies! Do I hear three! My god man I'm going to be a fictional mass murder at the rate of evil these people have done to those two.

Though mister grabby from the other chapter may also be on the list.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Israfil said:

Lastly, Aria seems to have some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going here

 

It's pure cognitive dissonance at work. Aria can see these aren't the actions of a loving parent, but tries to rationalize it. Amara is clearly more emotionally mature while Aria still wants to believe in a Santa Claus. Amara has helped Aria with the close bond only twins possess. I think they both will benefit from Drew's friendship. They need a little normal in their lives.

 

1 hour ago, Hellsheild said:

OK! Two bodies! Do I hear three! My god man I'm going to be a fictional mass murder at the rate of evil these people have done to those two.

Though mister grabby from the other chapter may also be on the list.

 

Yeah. There are going to be some fat piggies before this one is over with. I'm sure we can come up with a lorry, a taser, and some edible restraints.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Yeah. There are going to be some fat piggies before this one is over with. I'm sure we can come up with a lorry, a taser, and some edible restraints.

Save us some money, I know how to make a stun guns from disposable cameras, plus can't be tracked like commercial tasers

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..