Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 4,944 Words
  • 559 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 3. Chapter 3

Woorawa's welcome home takes an exraordinary turn.

Widderkin VOE.

Chapter 3.

There was one car in the park when they arrived in the minivan and, loaded with supplies as they walked the short distance to the gathering area, Kieran realised that daylight viewing effectively made this a new place for all the companions.

"Hey! Are we going to look at the caterpillars while it’s still light?"

"We’ll look at everything, Rhys, with a short explore so we all feel a sense of place."

Kieran understood well that Woorawa and his people had their own viewpoint about the land. That had been just one of the insights flowing from Woorawa, and particularly Burrimul, on that unforgettable first day in the Valley of the Eagles.

The Caterpillar paintings warranted a short sit down, and then a scramble to the top of some nearby rocks gave a view of the surrounds as well as the first indication of a good turn up for the welcome home.

"Hey! There’s already cars parked, Woorawa. You said you expected most people wouldn't get here till sunset."

Woorawa and Burrimul shared a look then turned to the western sky.

"Auntie and the other elders have done a good job in spreading the word then, Rhys, because there’s still about half an hour till the sun sets."

Burrimul added his bit.

"Early ones might be families with kids who don't want to stay too late."

Woorawa looked shocked.

"The kids! I should have worked out something for them. This is awful!"

"The kids were happy last time we were here. They joined in just about everything."

"I suppose so, Mr B, but I still should have thought of them."

Tan shook his head.

"You don't have to, Woorawa. Call them all together and teach them the Happy Dance, then get them to drag everyone else into it. It’s perfect to make them feel special, because it really will be special. They’ll never forget it."

Kieran remembered four Realm Rulers cavorting joyfully around the campfire, lost to laughter and the magic of Woorawa's movement, and mentally amended Tan's assertion. No one would forget it.

Woorawa's face lit up with a giant smile as he hugged Tan impulsively.

"You’re a wonder, Tan. We’d be lost without you. It’s perfect. Just perfect."

The hug lasted and Tan’s smile of pleasure that he’d helped washed through everyone.

"Unreal, Kieran. Woorawa changed straight from annoyed with himself to excited about what to do with the kids."

"That’s our Tan, Rhys. A few quiet words and we’re all smiling."

The sunset was beautiful but Kieran noticed it only in passing because everyone who arrived wanted to make themselves known to Burrimul and Woorawa.

Woorawa kept looking to Kieran and particularly Tan, who was keeping his normal background presence, but when two excited kids raced up and eagerly presented a colourfully patterned stick, he relaxed with his own smile in full evidence.

"Look what my cousins have brought, Tan. It’s a friendship stick for all of us."

He turned back to the little girl.

"This is our very first special gift, Yindi, and we’re going to keep it in our house in Melbourne."

He turned the stick this way and that and traced his finger lightly over the markings.

"What do the patterns mean?"

"Gods, Kieran! No wonder his people like him."

Kieran didn't answer because Yindi was pointing eagerly.

"This little circle with five pieces is you and your new friends, Uncle Woorawa, and these two circles are your new eyes that see inside stories."

She turned the stick over.

"And these smileys are because Uncle Burrimul says we might be dancing with you tonight, and Jarli says you will guess the three wavy lines yourself."

Jarli, even smaller and younger, nodded gravely.

"The wavy lines are my idea, Uncle Woorawa. Do you like them?"

"I love them, Jarli. Did you ask a stick-maker to draw them?"

Young eyes shone with pride.

"No, I made them myself, and Yindi made the friend circle and drew your eyes."

He looked expectantly at Woorawa.

"He’s waiting to hear what the three lines are."

"Thanks, Kieran. I’m working on it."

"Let me think. Are the wavy lines the ripples when I throw a pebble in a pond?"

"No!"

"Could they be big brown snake wriggling his body to get away from the hunter?"

"No!"

"Hmm! Well, the cleverest idea would be – three caterpillars?"

His confidence vindicated, Jarli turned to his sister.

"See, Yindi, I told you Uncle Woorawa would know."

Tan moved from the side, knelt in front of Jarli, then touched one part of the five piece circle.

"That’s me, Jarli, and I never saw a gift like this. See the smileys? They’re clever too, because the little dancing boy is going to share his special Happy Dance with you. It will make you a giggle boy. Will you like that?"

"… That sounds funny."

Tan reached for a handshake and Kieran wondered if an oracle moment was about to happen.

"It is, a really funny funny. Can we have a talk about it when you know?"

That got instant agreement and when Tan stood and moved back, two sets of wondering eyes followed this interesting person.

Another group of newcomers was watching and waiting, and after hearing Woorawa's promises about their place in the Happy Dance the two proud gift givers ran to the oldies waiting for them.

"Unreal, Woorawa. Even if nothing else happens that’s made my night. Are friendship sticks like a ceremonial thing?"

"Not this one, Rhys. I think it was their own idea."

Woorawa moved to greet the next waiting group.

***

"That little gift has done wonders, Kieran. I think he had a bad case of nerves and now he’s relaxed and happy again."

"Well it sure made me feel good, Mr B. You’re right though. It’s the first time he’s shown anything like that and I was starting to wonder."

"His other ceremonies have all been in the moment whereas this one has serious and ongoing consequences. That’s my theory."

"Mine too. He acts relaxed and easy-going, but underneath he’s thinking about things, a bit like Tan."

"Gods! You’ve practically got him on the couch. Do you head shrink me the same way?"

Kieran and Mr B shared a mental laugh.

"We never get the chance, Rhys. The porkling ears are always sticky-beaking."

"Not that again! You’re an idiot, Mr B ... and I can't help hearing when I'm right next to you."

"We were mind talking, Rhys, not speaking out loud."

"Same difference ... Unless Kieran hides it."

Mr B and Kieran stared.

"Since when have you been able to do that?"

"I don't know, Mr B. Not long. Ranevargar and Maurice told me I had to practice listening and it sort of happened."

"Kieran, we need long training sessions to figure out just where we are."

"That’s for sure. Ranevargar asked me the same thing and I said our first real chance would be on the plane flight tomorrow."

Rhys was really amused.

"What’s so funny, Rhys?"

"I’m just imagining the reaction in the jet with four of us chanting against your Medusa look."

It was a good imagining but it was completely forgotten when a great cacophony of car horns turned every head to the distant glow of many headlights.

A sea of smiles looked to Woorawa.

"What’s that about, Woorawa? It looks like we’re the only ones who don't know."

Woorawa called to Burrimul above the disjointed concert, and his own smile lit up.

"Auntie’s mob gathered at her place so they could come in a convoy. It’s a thing with some of our people. I wonder how many there are? It sounds awful."

It certainly did, but it was a good kind of awful.

"I’ll be back in a minute."

Because of the fire restrictions a circle of portable lamps was set up as a focus for attention, but so far only about a third of them were glowing. In the next few minutes this grew to a full complement with an extra brilliant light in the middle.

Against the tooting of the cars, particularly two distinctive tones competing for a final say, the soft reverberating thrum of a new sound set Kieran's scalp tingling and he looked to the group of players near the same old tree trunk as last time. The mix of individual warming up sounds merged and grew in volume and unity. Woorawa came in a rush, passing a group of kids, themselves rushing to be close to the action.

Rhys leaned close.

"This is awesome, Kieran, and no one’s even dancing yet."

Woorawa arrived with the biggest grin.

"A whole group of them got together this afternoon and practised because one of the elders asked them to, and there’ll be twice as many when everyone gets here."

Kieran looked. Eight or nine didgeridoos was already, as Rhys said, awesome. Twice as many would be overwhelming. Burrimul, distinctive in his feathered cloak of office, walked through the circle of lights and joined them.

"Tonight is different because Auntie usually only leads Women's business. Giving her a proper welcome will show this is a gathering for everyone."

He was leaning close and speaking strongly and Kieran wondered how anyone would be able to hear above the background.

"Wearing our leathers might have been the right thing, Kieran?"

"As a sign of respect to match Burrimul? It would be overkill, Mr B, and like we agreed, it's Woorawa's night not ours."

They’d discussed this earlier and decided it wasn't the right occasion. Woorawa said any time would be okay but he wouldn't wear his because of his dances and because it would be a distraction from his main message.

"An elf Lord invasion, Mr B. They’d wonder what was going on."

Approaching lights took all attention but when the group came into view Kieran felt a twinge of disappointment. Burrimul and the Cultural Centre people had been quite hyped about the effect Auntie's commitment and influence would have, and this group of fifteen to twenty, significant and welcome of course, wasn't what he’d expected.

Woorawa, smiling like crazy, went to stand with Burrimul who, above the temporarily muted background, spoke some sort of official welcome.

"There’s not as many as we thought, Kieran."

"I know, Rhys, but it doesn't seem to be worrying Woorawa ... Hang on! ... I don't see Auntie with them."

"Sheba! I wonder if she’s backing out."

Kieran, sharing Rhys’s consternation, watched the group move away after an expansive gesture from Burrimul.

Woorawa came at a run.

"Unreal, I think we might be crowded out."

"What? Auntie didn't even turn up."

Woorawa's voice lifted against a renewed didgeridoo chorus.

"No! No! That’s just the first mob. Auntie’s lot will probably be the last ones to get here. Did you see who answered Burrimul's welcome? He’s one of the elders from the meeting the other night ... Look at the kids. The sound’s getting to them ... I think I’ll do the Happy Dance straight after Auntie arrives."

After two more mobs Kieran was now wondering where they could be parking all the cars, and by the time Auntie's giant following was welcomed, Kieran was laughing with Rhys about Woorawa’s planned timetable.

"He’ll be rushing to get ready while this lot gets themselves set up."

There was no setting up. Auntie made a loud call and the muted background rhythm was drowned by the answer of those with her. With arms spread in a gesture to the wider gathering she called again and the call thundered back. In the silence that followed Auntie moved to raise Woorawa's arm.

Kieran recognised the pattern of Tan’s joining at the elders' discussion. Yes, sounding clear but soft into the hush of expectation, the curious chant came to every straining ear. The counterpoint of high and low tone strengthened and, into the charged atmosphere, Auntie spread her arms again. A few voices joined, soft while they made the rhythm their own, then building. Very quickly the chant took everyone and Kieran, his heart brimming with the flow of inclusion and purpose, joined everyone else in following Woorawa's simple but distinctive body movement.

Woorawa turned his eyes to Auntie and she followed his lead in ending the chant. She’d been the mover for this stunning happening but somehow she was now the follower, and in the utter silence she watched, along with everyone else, as he raised both arms twice in happy triumph.

Laughter and smiles accompanied the almost universal repeat of his arm lifting, then a buzz of comment when Woorawa pointed in the direction of the didgeridoo players. Auntie went with her people. A group of kids started tapping music sticks and mucking round to the resurging rhythm and Woorawa left and rushed to join the friends.

"I don't know how you did it, Tan. Your chant’s like a call sign for us."

Tan shook his head but, partly because he would have to shout like Woorawa to be heard, didn't say anything. Rhys did and four heads leaned close.

"Did you know Auntie was going to start the chant?"

"I didn't have a clue, Rhys. It was unreal wasn’t it?"

As well as nodding, everyone smiled because unreal was very much a Rhys exclamation.

"Totally unreal! ... Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You’re going to help with the Happy Dance, Rhys. Come and get ready."

"Me? ... You’re kidding!"

Woorawa grabbed his arm and, spluttering with mock outrage, Rhys was dragged away.

Not much was said for a while because the didgeridoo group was pouring out so much energy it was a performance rather than a background.

"How many people now, Tan?"

"There must be several hundred at least, Kieran, but counting’s impossible with so many out of the central lights and all the movement."

Movement was right. At the moment there was a drift, teenagers in baggy ceremonial garb it looked like, towards the didgeridoo player area and the displaced kids were moving closer to the lights.

"I don't remember anything specific for the teenagers, Kieran."

"Neither do I, Mr B. They all turned up at the same time though so it might be like a custom."

Some older people arrived and, after painting simple but effective body designs, handed out music sticks.

"Burrimul told us the music players were practising this afternoon so this must be part of it."

A new drift of somewhat older people began but Kieran lost attention when amusement washed from Rhys.

"Why am I always the guinea pig? They’ve turned me into an old woman."

He wasn't really complaining. He was loving every moment. Kieran was tempted to make a check through Woorawa's eyes but decided to hold out for Woorawa's introduction ... Now only a few minutes away.

Mr B was looking at him.

"What’s funny, Kieran?"

"Rhys is complaining about being a guinea pig but he’s loving every bit of it. You’ll see in a minute."

The older group, painted with a different pattern, was moving to surround the younger ones who were intently tapping along with the powerful background thrum.

"This is marvellous, Kieran. It’s more powerful and striking than the first time."

Mr B was right and Kieran and Tan shared the growing sense of excitement with him.

A weird shriek pierced the night and the didgeridoo players turned to peer into the darkness behind them. Another shriek stopped the faltering music sticks and into the following hush a loud and querulous voice rose in a babble of remonstration. The words were meaningless but for Kieran, Tan, and Mr B the voice was oh so familiar. Mr B and Tan turned to Kieran.

"Don't look at me! It must be whatever Woorawa’s told him to do."

Two figures moved from the gloom and Woorawa, in traditional costume, was overacting his attempts to placate the bizarre figure with him.

"I don't believe it! Thank God he picked Rhys."

One look at the bright red dress, the padded bra on the otherwise topless torso, and the long blonde wig and spectacles was pushing Kieran's own disbelief.

The whole gathering, staring at the spectacle of Woorawa's too blatant efforts to escape the unrelenting harassment, relaxed with understanding and then with laughter when Woorawa crouched in hiding behind little Jarli.

In response to Woorawa's whispered words Jarli giggled and fronted the fake lady with one hand pushing in a halt signal. Rhys cringed at this daunting opposition then turned a beseeching gesture to the general audience and called the single word welcome used at the tent embassy.

When someone called it back, Rhys made a curiously defined double lift of his glasses, a dramatic bow, and one more call to a very specific location. All eyes turned, and when Auntie acknowledged, the gathering burst into cheers and laughter.

"Oh my God! He’s Auntie."

Kieran remembered seeing the mannerism several times when Auntie had wanted to make pointed eye contact.

The laughter subsided though because Woorawa was making the special Happy Dance stamp and skip for Jarli.

Kieran smiled. He couldn't help himself. Woorawa's manner called Jarli and after a moment of prompting and guidance they were moving in unison. A mixed buzz of wonder and delight ran through the watchers. Kieran, wondering if special dancing was a family gift, almost reached to check for some kind of connection between the two.

Woorawa, along with Jarli, moved close to the Auntie impersonator and offered a new lot of prompting and guidance. With gawky, over acted movements Rhys followed and, impossibly, became an integral part of the tableau.

Rhys claimed he had two left feet as far as dancing was concerned and Kieran, trying to understand how such exaggerated actions could fit so perfectly with the light nimble magic of Woorawa and Jarli, broadened his link with Rhys. Held by the allure of Woorawa's presence, he was a mix of concentration and happiness and lost in the spirit of the moment. Kieran retreated so he wouldn't distract Rhys, and watched the trio stomp and skip to the music stick users then, following Woorawa, stop their Happy Dance. Rhys, faking dismay, flapped his skirts at Woorawa and rushed off.

What now? ... Woorawa borrowed a set of music sticks to demonstrate the tapping rhythm, gestured to the didgeridoo players to join in, then with little Jarli, moved to a small group of children. With the tap and boom sound added the Happy Dance took new life. The small group swelled as others came rushing to join the stamp and skip, and Woorawa, shifting attention to each newcomer, wove everyone into a spell of happy inclusion.

There was a roar of appreciation when the cloaked figure of Burrimul joined the children and Kieran expected this to be the start of general inclusion.

Instead, a barely heard whistle trilled an alarm from the darkness and, growing louder with its approach, took all attention. Sound and motion stopped.

A uniformed figure, wielding a baton in one hand while the other held the insistent whistle to a face floridly painted with red ochre, closed with little Jarli and pounded the ground threateningly beside him.

Jarli fled the few steps to Woorawa's side then, almost shockingly, made a fierce fist at the closing menace.

Instead of a cheer, this pantomime of bravery cast a pall of silence, which held till Woorawa gentled Jarli with a touch and fronted truncheon man.

The baton moved forward, like a pointer, and pressed Woorawa's chest with a demand for submission.

Woorawa gave it, stepping back and raising his arms in surrender.

The baton lifted its victory to the silent watchers then, to reinforce its dominion, jabbed again.

Instead of submission, Woorawa's response was a nimble skip and a distinctive little stomp.

The baton jabbed, Woorawa skipped.

The baton jabbed. Woorawa stomped.

A murmur of amusement grew as jab, skip and stomp became a dance of its own.

Woorawa called and Jarli joined in.

Woorawa gestured and sound resumed.

The authority figure suddenly cast the baton to one side and, as if hypnotised, tried its own clumsy Happy Dance.

Some message must have passed because Rhys suddenly stopped being the bad man and turned to beckon all the children to join in. Woorawa moved to dance with Burrimul, then with another elder and then, Happy Dancing all the time, further into the crowd where he pulled Auntie to her feet.

The music faltered. The children and elders paused while hand-in-hand Woorawa escorted Auntie to the circle of lights. With a little bow of welcome he made his happy stomp and skip, inviting her to join him.

She didn't though, and looked around uncertainly.

Rhys, a big smile showing through his bizarre face paint repeated the step with ever so clear entreaty, and no success.

Woorawa called. Burrimul appeared and after saying something, made another move of invitation. This time she followed and a kind of sigh came from the watchers and when Woorawa took the lead her hesitancy vanished.

The backing sound returned and the crowd went wild.

"What just happened, Kieran? She didn't want to dance and they made her?"

"I don't know, Mr B. I thought she might be embarrassed but look at her. She’s loving every moment."

They found out later that women had their own dances and Woorawa had broken with tradition by including everyone.

Kieran's pulse quickened as he became lost in Woorawa's spell.

The Happy Dance finished but it's atmosphere stayed, building through talk and laughter, adding wonder with Woorawa's danced interpretation of the Caterpillar story, broadening with an eclectic mix of song, dance, and stories by a series of groups and individuals.

Burrimul called several times, almost as a summons, till the sound and laughter quietened. Silently he transferred his great feathered cloak to Woorawa's shoulders then moved to stand with Auntie and all the other elders.

Woorawa, clearly caught unawares, stood quietly with surprise, uncertainty, and then acceptance registering for all to see. His voice rang strong and clear, acknowledging the elders, the music makers and the rest of the gathering, then building with the fire and passion of his message.

This was Woorawa? His happy, easy-going friend speaking with manner and authority rivalling an Elf King addressing the High Council of all Faerie? ... No, different, rather than rivalling. A flick of ability showed Tan’s awareness as awestruck but fully his own.

When Rhys’s arm linked impulsively, Kieran switched to sharing the moment. Questions could come later.

A change in the intonation of Woorawa's language brought a thunder of response. A second call brought the same response. The third brought a roar of laughter.

Woorawa spread his arms and in the resultant hush, beckoned the elders and began the special chant.

Auntie, the elders, and then the whole gathering joined the rhythm. Curiously compelling with just Woorawa and Auntie, the communion of the whole gathering was carrying Kieran so much it was hard to respond to Tan’s mental call.

"Do something to help Woorawa, Kieran."

"What?"

"Make him glow like we discussed this afternoon. This is the perfect moment, while everyone is focused on him."

Kieran came to himself with a start and, watching the total involvement, thought Woorawa hardly needed any help. Still he'd been keen on the idea.

The softest hint of glow surrounded the feathered cloak, highlighting Woorawa with much the same effect as a controlled stage light.

Hmm! Great, but add a bit of blue for mystery.

Auntie, closest to Woorawa, reached for a tentative touch and Kieran, hoping that Woorawa would approve, made the glow spread. The chanting faltered and, with a gesture from Woorawa, turned to silence.

"Perfect timing, Kieran. If you brighten it a bit and make it so I’m sharing with anyone I choose, it will be an unreal finish."

"No problems! How far do you want it to spread?"

"Um! Auntie and the elders and then the close kids should be plenty."

"Do something with your hands, Woorawa."

Woorawa extended an open palm and Auntie watched an indistinct ball of light take form. Wonder held for a moment but then her mind rebelled. Her eyes darted everywhere, seeking an explanation, then fixed again when Woorawa clearly expected her to accept it as a gift.

When she shook her head, too nervous, Woorawa turned with a relaxed and happy smile to little Jarli and sent the blue sphere floating gently towards him.

Kieran, following Woorawa's clear mental intentions, decided to add a pleasant tingle to any apparent touch.

Radiating pure wonder, Jarli lifted his hand and watched the ball of light settle on his own palm. His eyes closed ... And stayed closed ... till Kieran, surprised by this effect, reduced the tingle strength. Jarli’s eyes opened and, completely oblivious to the stunned attention directed at him, transferred the globe to his other hand and used his free pointer finger to make an experimental poke.

Woorawa looked to Auntie's reaction and Kieran hurriedly sent him a message.

"Glow’s okay, Woorawa, but only one globe or I won't be able to keep up."

"No worries, Kieran. Can you make the kids and elders’ hands glow when I touch them?"

"Easy!"

It wasn't easy at all. Woorawa approached Auntie first and when her hands became covered in light she stared for a while then lifted them high and turned to show the people behind her.

Kieran almost lost sync. Random movement would be a real challenge, especially if he had to work with nine or ten excited kids, and he was about to warn Woorawa when he got the idea that if he joined glow and hand as a kind of identity pattern so they’d move together automatically, he should be able to manage a dozen or more by concentrating hard ... No! There was a much better way. Excitement flared as he linked Auntie's glow/hand pattern into his Opal.

Unreal!

"Woorawa, do your hand touch with all the kids first. I can't believe it but I think I just figured a way to make it unlimited."

"All the kids? Not just the close ones?"

"Yes, providing I can see you make the touch."

Yindi, standing close and watching little Jarli’s engrossed experimentation, received the first touch and when Woorawa made a call in his language, kids converged from every direction.

"Kieran, Woorawa’s going to be swamped. Look through his eyes so you don't miss anyone."

Rhys had heard the exchange with Woorawa? Well of course he had.

"Brilliant, Rhys! I should have thought of that."

"I know!"

"Idiot!"

The elders were next and then Woorawa moved through the gathering, touching every reaching hand. The weird silence changed to a pandemonium of noise and excitement. A group of children started working together, moving their hands in circles at first, then over their heads in a coordinated wave. Caught by the curious effect, others joined in with a kind of communal instinct and the wave spread and took over.

A chant started, keeping time with the wave and changing the multitude of moving lights to something far more.

Yes, Woorawa was the central figure again, his body alive and in tune, with his swaying arms and voice calling everyone to join. The special chant took over, appropriating the glow for its own purpose.

Auntie, Burrimul and the other elders moved to range themselves with Woorawa, and just as Kieran was starting to wonder what else could possibly happen a jumbled image came into his mind.

What? … One look revealed that though Woorawa knew what he wanted, he was too deeply involved to allow concentration on anything else. Yes, there it was. An image of his arms flinging wide to signal the end of the chant and the glow.

Kieran sent Woorawa a background assurance and waited. Woorawa's body stilled. His arms lifted high then his whole body dropped to kneel with his hands reaching in supplication. The arms flung wide image was overruled by the instinctive action but the intent was still clear, and all waving stopped. Kieran had his own moment of instinct and instead of simply finishing the glow he made it trickle from every individual hand then flow across the ground and absorb into Woorawa.

"Holy hell, Kieran! That is awesome. Did Woorawa know you were going to do that?"

"I didn't know myself, Rhys. It just sort of happened."

A murmur built, from a whisper to a crashing wave of cheering and chanting then grew even stronger when little Jarli darted past Auntie to give Woorawa a series of high-fives. Woorawa was swamped with others wanting the same.

"I need to give him one myself! Who’s coming?"

"So do I, Rhys, but we’ll never get through that mob."

"Want to bet, Mr B? You just watch."

***

"Go away!"

Kieran felt a bit the same himself, but another groan when Mr B poked Rhys in the ribs started him smiling and on the way to wakefulness.

"Burrimul is waiting, log head!"

"Let's go tomorrow instead."

"There’s twenty minutes to get dressed, have something to eat, and check our things before we leave for the airport, so I’ll be back in one minute with a glass of water."

"Coffee, please!"

"It’s not to drink. It’s to tip on you if you’re not out of bed."

The groan implying this was insufferable torture turned Kieran’s smile to a laugh.

"Put ice in the water, Mr B. He’s definitely in log mode."

"Okay. I’ll be straight back."

It took three or four seconds to register enough to bring on a poke in the ribs.

"Ice?"

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Iced water!  You are a meanie.  Using other world magic to enhance the ceremonial dance was certainly inspirational, a brilliant spectacle.  Well done my friend and thank you.  My enjoyment continues and expectation increases with each chapter.

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, Dathi said:

Iced water!  You are a meanie.  Using other world magic to enhance the ceremonial dance was certainly inspirational, a brilliant spectacle.  Well done my friend and thank you.  My enjoyment continues and expectation increases with each chapter.

Lol! If the iced water turned out to be more than just a threat I'm sure that Rhys's response would be, well, -  interesting.

Yep! A bit of theatrics to help spread the message.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

What a moment and the gathering was so special on many different levels.  I don't think any child there will ever forget the Happy Dance, and their part in it.  

Auntie is going to have to get some explanations or there will eventually be hell to pay.  

This gathering was the beginning, it will grow and spread, and the fight will be on to stop the development.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

What a moment and the gathering was so special on many different levels.  I don't think any child there will ever forget the Happy Dance, and their part in it.  

Auntie is going to have to get some explanations or there will eventually be hell to pay.  

This gathering was the beginning, it will grow and spread, and the fight will be on to stop the development.

 

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Happy Dance and the way it affected the kids in particular. I've got a real soft spot in my heart for little Jarli, Woorawa's young cousin.

Yes, you're spot on about Auntie. - watch for developments.  :great:

Edited by Palantir
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

On a busy weekend, I finally got through this chapter in which the other realm magic made the gathering unforgettable!   Well done!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

On a busy weekend, I finally got through this chapter in which the other realm magic made the gathering unforgettable!   Well done!

:thankyou:

Yes! Kieran's dramatic touch might stir the waters a bit.

Edited by Palantir
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2023 at 6:54 PM, Palantir said:

:thankyou:

Yes! Kieran's dramatic touch might stir the waters a bit.

Yes, a happy youthful dance of enlightenment. What kid isn’t fascinated by lightning bugs, but to become a part of something so unique, so fascinating, and yet, so powerful in meaning is truly a life event. What a beautiful way to learn to convey their message.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, Philippe said:

Yes, a happy youthful dance of enlightenment. What kid isn’t fascinated by lightning bugs, but to become a part of something so unique, so fascinating, and yet, so powerful in meaning is truly a life event. What a beautiful way to learn to convey their message.

Hmm! I love it when comments challenge my thinking. I'm so immersed in the the way events affect the main characters I neglect how significant they could be for others. Good grief! Whole stories could ensue.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Thanks again. Aunty will understand I'm sure. The theatrics of the earth magic really added to the spectacle. I was there with them as they gathered. A very well written, involving chapter.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Thanks again. Aunty will understand I'm sure. The theatrics of the earth magic really added to the spectacle. I was there with them as they gathered. A very well written, involving chapter.

Wow! Music to my ears! :thankyou:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..