Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 4,263 Words
  • 543 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 7. Chapter 7

Widderkin VOE.

Chapter 7.

"Friday and no real progress? Is Benton losing his touch?"

"I wondered too, sir, but after studying this morning's report I decided the man is both devious and unrelenting, and more than capable."

"What’s the problem then?"

"He’s baffled. Almost every aspect he investigates comes back to him as implausible or pure nonsense."

"That is Benton's evaluation?"

"I can't find any fault in his processes, but they suggest a teenage boy is using old stories and laser lights to inspire the protest."

"Laser lights? Benton is telling us the third-largest mining corporation in the world is troubled by a boy with some kind of light show?"

"He has drawn on engineers, scientists, librarians, our publicity gurus and even a demographic psychologist in his search for answers, and a laser lights system is the only explanation with any sense to it."

"What is a demographic psychologist?"

"Apparently it is someone with expertise in events such as mass hysteria, cultural psychoses, and contagious superstition."

Morrison's temples throbbed.

"It does sound bizarre, sir, but Benton has seventeen accounts of strong glows and floating balls of light from first-hand witnesses, all of them convinced that mysteries support the protest, or that the min min lights of dead elders are revealing themselves."

"Superstitious nonsense!"

"Yes, but so effective it has transformed Benton’s carefully structured sense of inevitability into full-blown opposition. In the space of twenty-four hours the local elders switched from hazy plans of protest and compensation to concerted action and opposition."

"Following this light show?"

"Not quite! The switch seems to have resulted from the boy speaking with them the previous evening. We only have secondhand reports of that, and hearsay, because it was an elders only meeting, but apparently he brought them onside with a chant."

"This is insane. Who is this boy?"

The underling indicated the pile of documents.

"Preliminary details about him are attached to the report, sir, but Benton thinks a medium level surveillance is warranted."

"Interesting. Why?"

"Benton is wary. The boy was totally blind till a ceremony miraculously cured him. He is poor, but fully supported for accommodation and courses at a highly rated college in Melbourne. The local people understand he’s been studying there, but the College records describe an extended expedition to an unspecified wilderness location."

"Extended? Meaning? ..."

"Almost a whole semester. Months of unexplained absence."

"And Benton is wary! Start the process. Does he highlight any other concerns?"

"Yes, the public meeting announced by the Local Government authorities will be something to watch. But I suggest you cast your eye over the last few pages of the report."

Morrison's head lifted in sudden alert.

"I will get onto it. Is there any other business?"

"Not business, sir, but I do have a personal matter I should appraise you off."

"I see, is it likely to affect your work?"

"I don't believe so."

"Very well, but make it brief."

Harris flipped the switch which turned off the glowing office intercom button and Morrison glared when a pointing finger moved, quite deliberately, to a new location and pressed firmly till a second system was disabled.

"That’s meant to be above your pay grade."

The underling, rising rapidly in Morrison's estimation, produced a folded paper from his jacket.

"Sorry, sir, but Benton classified his encrypted message as for your eyes and ears only."

The glare intensified.

"And you read it?"

"I’m the only person in the building with the appropriate decryption ability. My memory is also appropriately limited."

"What does he want?"

"He’s concerned about a possible communication breakdown between Headquarters and the Engineering arm. If, for example, the bulldozing of disputed areas was mistakenly fast tracked, the only recourse for the locals would be to seek reparation. Very embarrassing publicity, of course, but monumental stuff ups happen all too frequently."

"They certainly do! I’ll take this under advisement ... And, Harris, upgrade that surveillance team from medium security to high."

A simple nod revealed nothing of Harris’s satisfaction with this recognition by name and the opportunities it signified.

***

"We often see them here, Woorawa, so keep an eye out for others."

Mr B's happy thought came.

"Telling Woorawa to keep an eye out is like telling the sun to be sure it rises every morning. Hey, is that you telling it to come closer?"

"Absolutely! Woorawa’s not the only one who’s excited ... What a lazy old monster."

"Lazy? I’m glad he’s in the water and I'm not. He looks menacing."

"It’s a she, Mr B, and she’s so lazy she’s harmless."

Michael had the launch throttled right down and circling the massive stingray for close observation.

"We’re lucky to see him near the surface like this because they usually stay close to the bottom. We’re lucky the air is so calm too. Wind ripples are bad for viewing. We’ll keep moving but give a yell for anything interesting."

"That won't work, Michael. We’ll be stopping every few minutes and never get there."

"Yes we will, Mr B. Watch this."

The engine roared and the launch surged forward with so much power that Kieran, Rhys and Mr B slid from their seats before they could brace themselves or grab for a hold. Woorawa and Tan, pressed deep into their forward facing seats, cheered and laughed at the sight of Rhys flopped on his side and gripping the base of his seat as if his life depended on it. The throttle steadied and, back in their seats, the group thrilled with a few minutes of power and speed.

"Gods, Kieran! He goes like a bat out of hell! If we’d been standing up we’d have gone overboard."

"He knew we wouldn't, Rhys. He’s just having fun because he loves driving this thing so much."

Woorawa yelled and pointed and the rush stopped.

"The seabirds love the rocks and they go till we reach the ocean."

"Reach it? We’re already in it."

"The real ocean starts at The Nobbies, Rhys.. This sheltered water is still the Bay ... Get the binoculars, Mr B. I think we’ve found our first albatross. If we’re lucky it might come closer."

Mr B was instantly searching.

"Can you call it, Kieran?"

"I haven't got its pattern, Mr B, and it’s too far without a boost from my Opal."

"I’ll be patient then."

"What are those two birds, Michael? One of them dived into the water."

"Where? ... That’s a pair of gannets."

Michael's instructions to yell for anything interesting did make for slow progress, but that changed when they passed the distinctive Nobbies landmark and entered the real ocean.

"There’s so much to look at we could explore for ages, but Mandy wants an extended observation of activities at the seal colony so we should get moving."

Rhys stared at the open ocean.

"It’s scary big out there, Michael. Does it ever worry you?"

"Not when it’s peaceful and calm like this, and we’re only going two kilometres ... Are you going to take over for a while?"

"Me? Are you kidding? What if I hit a reef or something?"

"We can all swim. Woorawa told me you're really good at it."

Interest and caution warred so clearly Kieran decided to push things along.

"Give him a go, Michael, but you’ll have to watch him. He loves stuff like this so much you might have to fight him to get it back."

Somehow Rhys managed to roll his eyes, smile happily, nod his agreement all at the same time, and then listen with super concentration. With growing confidence he ventured speed and direction changes till in sudden panic he cut the revs.

"Takeover, Michael! There were seals in front of us."

Everyone's attention switched from the rocks ahead to the nearby surface. Michael did take over, and changed direction slightly.

"We’ll circle the rocks slowly a few times to get a feel for things before we do anything else. There’s an extra set of binoculars in that locker if anyone’s interested. I like to just use my eyes so I know what's happening all around me ... Can you see them? I like the moment when they change from blurry shapes into masses of live seals."

Woorawa yelled and Mr B lowered his binoculars. A few seconds closer Kieran experienced Michael's moment.

"Sheba! Look how many! Gazillions!"

Rhys was exactly right. Being told there would be thousands of seals didn't compare with actually seeing them. Kieran, turning to share the moment with Rhys, followed his gaze to Michael.

"I mention the numbers and now he looks like he’s frowning."

"I think he is too. Ask him."

"What’s the story, Michael? Have you seen something?"

"Sort of. Gazillions is right but it’s too right. It's much denser than the last few times I’ve been out."

"More seals isn't a good sign?"

"I don't know, Tan. The birth rate’s been declining for a few years so it would have to mean they were coming from other colonies, and that’s bad news. Mandy organised today after two separate commercial tour captains contacted her because they reckon the bulls are calling louder and more often. We’d better get close."

He produced five large clips and handed them over.

"Clips? What do we do with these?"

"Standard issue for first timers, Rhys. You’ll know in a minute."

This little mystery resolved itself when they entered the stink zone, as Rhys called it, and the pungent smell from thousands of seals assaulted five sets of unprepared nostrils.

Michael loved it, but that was forgotten when Woorawa spotted a building and was quite indignant.

"I don't know why it’s there. We just call it the stone hut. We’re coming round to the sheltered side where we’ll see a lot more. That’s weird! There haven't been many seals in the water."

He sounded serious but Woorawa's cry demanded attention.

"Something’s wrong, Michael. I’m sure it is. Those big ones are gathered round a small one with green on it."

Michael swore.

"Netting! The pups play and get tangled and there’s not much we can do about it."

Woorawa's jaw dropped.

"Of course you can. You’re a ranger and you can untangle it, or even take it to your hospital if you need to."

Michael's head was shaking.

"They’re wild creatures. Woorawa, it’s breeding time and disturbing them could be really bad. If they stampede to get away a whole lot of pups could get killed. Look at them all, and the big bulls are over 300 kg."

Woorawa didn't like it.

Kieran readied himself for a silent barrage of questions.

"You do help them sometimes, Michael. I know you do because you said not much."

"Not today. If there are five cases we can think about it, but I’m the only one with training and there need to be at least three people and we all need thick wetsuits for protection. Mandy would kill me if I break any of the rules ... and if she doesn't one of the bulls might."

Michael stopped his explanation ... abruptly. No one was listening. Instead, they were staring at each other in a strange way. No, not at each other. Four of them were intent on Kieran while his focus kept switching. A sense of otherness or even exclusion dropped away when the roving gaze turned his way.

"Hang on, Michael, we’re thinking. That’s all.

Michael hung on, assured by Kieran's tone and manner, and tried to understand.

Thinking as a group? Was it like yoga or meditation, or would they all suddenly burst out with ideas.

He really liked these visitors. Learning the chant in the minivan last night with every one of them joining in had been wonderful but you never knew what was going to happen next.

Distress calls from the direction of the little pup cut off so abruptly it took his attention till a rapid movement brought dismay and a belated grab for the figure at the side of the launch.

"No! No! No!"

Kieran's lithe form knifed into the water and stroked for the rocks. Almost distraught, Michael twisted between the swimmer and the four interested watchers.

"What does he think he’s doing? Call him back, Mr B."

All four gathered round and Mr B and Rhys both held an arm to steady him.

"He’s going to try something, Michael, and he knew you couldn't allow it. You watch. He’ll take one step at a time and there won't be any trouble."

The sense of confidence in Mr B's voice was matched by the manner of the other three.

Michael stared in disbelief at this weird group of people and started to explain that the big seals could be dangerously protective of the pup or even start a general panic with their distress calls. Woorawa cut him off with a cautionary finger to his lips and a pointing arm.

Woorawa's call to stay quiet and watch got through, and with a combination of resignation and trepidation he did just that.

Kieran scrambled from the water and, after a quick ‘I’m okay’ signal to the launch, turned and stood quietly facing the multitude. Mr B, still holding Michael's arm, spoke very, very softly.

"He really does have a special way with animals, Michael, and we’ll see in a moment if he’s any good as a seal whisperer."

The strange nature of the statement didn't even register because Michael was trying to process the far stranger nature of the scene unfolding in front of him.

The colony was quiet.

The colony was still.

The colony, the whole colony, was watching the figure standing at the edge of their territory with the studied attention of a listening audience.

With growing bewilderment Michael watched for twenty or thirty seconds till a flash of sunlight, reflected blue from the ocean somehow, bathed Kieran, and sent the seals crazy ... No, not crazy. The calls were wild but not with tones of warning or distress, and the cut off was as abrupt as the start.

"Wow! That was spectacular! What do you reckon, Michael?"

Michael had no answer for Rhys. His attention was on the group of six or seven seal pups scrambling purposefully towards Kieran and the rest of the colony now acting as they always did. A similarity registered and he turned, almost accusingly, to everyone and then to Mr B.

"This is last night’s penguin visits happening again. Those pups are meeting him and none of you look one bit surprised."

Mr B tried his previous explanation.

"It's as I said, Michael. We’ve learnt that unusual things can happen when Kieran meets animals."

Michael tried Woorawa for a response.

"It’s not unusual. It’s impossible, except I’m seeing it. Look at those bulls. They’re dangerous and you all like look like this is a picnic. You should-"

Michael stopped because all four of them switched their attention to Kieran who, surrounded by the pups, was looking to the launch and waving.

"He’s playing with them, Michael, and there’s no sign of the adults being agitated. Stop worrying while we see what happens next."

Inexplicably Michael felt himself relax while Kieran tumbled and turned in an impromptu game.

Rhys laughed and Michael couldn't help smiling when four pups dived at the same time.

"Hey! Look at that! I think he’s using the pups to work his way closer to the tangled one. Is there anything he could use if he needs help to get rid of that netting?"

More craziness. Instead of a coordinated team wearing thick neoprene wetsuits and other protective gear, long handled nets for catching the frantic victim and restraining material for extra safety, Kieran was expecting to get by wearing cargo shorts, a T-shirt and his soaking wet runners?

Throwing all his training and common sense to the wind, Michael went along with Rhys's request.

"There’s a carry bag in that other locker with cutting tools and first-aid stuff and tags, but ... will he come and get them?"

Rhys checked what was happening.

"Look how well they’re accepting him. We’d better not mess that up. I’ll take the rescue bag to the edge of the rocks then see what he wants to do."

"No you won't. That has to be me. I couldn't stop Kieran but you’re all visitors and I’ll have to make an Arthur call if you don't listen to me."

"Arthur?"

"Arthur was the code-name Mandy used last night for the security call, Rhys, and it makes sense for Michael to take the bag because he’ll be able to assess the situation better if he’s closer to Kieran."

Rhys’s dubious look suddenly changed to agreement.

"Good thinking, Mr B. Are you a good swimmer, Michael?"

Michael, wondering why Rhys was even asking, because it was such a short distance to the rocks, nodded, started to open the locker, then stopped.

"Woorawa, unfasten that little anchor please and toss it over without any slack in the rope. This is getting complicated."

Things were sorted and in short order Michael was standing on the rocks, assessing the situation, as Mr B had put it, and waiting, as Rhys had emphasised, for Kieran's guidance.

Assess! Well, in the time it had taken to get here Kieran had stopped his play with the pups and, surrounded by watching adults, was kneeling with one hand resting on the entangled juvenile.

Michael had seen a documentary where a handler had calmed a distressed horse, but if this was animal whispering it was way beyond anything he’d heard of. The adult rangers sometimes talked about the degree of touch different workers had, but never of anything like this.

Assess? Forget that! Kieran was beckoning, insistent and decisive.

"Look at this, Michael. The netting must have been there so long it’s cutting into him because of his growth. My touch seems to keep him calm so I’ll need you to cut that tight part near his flipper. That’s a rescue pack isn't it?"

Michael nodded and, unsure if he should speak, cautiously unzipped the bag and fished out a range of cutting instruments.

"Try those scissors with the easy stuff for a start."

The juvenile, too developed to be called a pup, twisted to watch when Michael made his first cut, then quietened when Kieran gently supported its head.

"That’s great, but you’ll need the sharp stanley knife for where it’s pressured into his skin ... and we’ll need another pair of hands.

He’s a trusting fellow isn't he. Beckon Rhys for me please while I keep him calm."

Rhys must have been anticipating because he was already in the water.

Another person!

All the close seals should be racing for safety instead of this strange quiet watching. Michael felt butterflies in his stomach from the closeness of a big bull and three females only a few metres away.

Kieran gave a soft little laugh.

"Animals have a lot more intelligence than most people think, Michael. I’m sure they know we’re trying to help ... Talking in a quiet tone’s all right if you want to ... Does anyone ever collect the netting or rope? I saw more of it near where we got out of the water."

Kieran's head was lifted now and it looked like he was talking to distract the watchers while Rhys joined them.

"Rhys, We need your fingers to separate the netting so Michael can cut it away.

Michael, you’re using the knife so you make the decisions and Rhys will follow your lead."

Michael did take over and after a few minutes of careful direction and cooperation the last piece of netting was freed from the nasty pressure wound.

"Unreal, Dr Michael! You were gentle and careful. How tough are these seals? Do they heal well in the wild?"

Feeling inordinately pleased by Kieran's praise, Michael studied the line of wounded flesh.

"There’s dressing in the pack to clean it with but there’s not much else we can do. They are tough though. The bulls get over much worse wounds when they fight."

"Good! Rhys, you get the dressing and do what you can. Michael, just walking calmly, I want you to go to the water and tell all the others to come over here for a pow wow."

"Here? Won't we go back to the launch?"

Kieran studied the placid seal his hand was still calming.

"Not yet! I’ll know when it’s the right time."

Michael stood up and moved off.

"Why do you want to get rid of him, Kieran? He’d be better with the dressing than me."

"Forget the dressing, Rhys, and use your magic hands. Michael’s working with us, but only just, because he’s got strong loyalty to all the ranger rules we’re breaking. Mr B's animal whisperer explanation is helping, but if he sees an impossible healing I might have to change his memories."

"Okay! What’s with the powwow?"

"We don't need it, but when Woorawa gets on the rocks he’s going to see another tangled seal and when they all get here Mr B will point out a third one."

"What’s going on?"

"Lots, but there are five tangled seals to free first. Quick! They’re already in the water. Heal this one so he can escape before Michael gets here.

"If five more escape Michael might get suspicious."

"Three of them haven't got wounds but one of them is really bad so we’ll have to work something out."

"I think Michael saw that bit of your blue glow."

"I did the acknowledgement thing for the whole colony in one go ... Look at his eyes and his funny little ears."

"Softy!"

Kieran and Rhys shared a moment then watched their patient lumber off.

"Kieran, Woorawa saw a tangled seal back that way and I think there’s another one as well ... Michael said you were keeping one calm. Has it gone?"

Kieran pointed.

"He went that way, Mr B. You only just missed him. I wanted us all here to listen to things Michael knows about this colony, but if there are more seals needing help we should do what we can while they’re okay with us being here. Do they get upset with people easily, Michael?"

Michael struggled to contain himself.

"Easily! Try always! They panic when people go into their space and they race for the water."

He turned for a survey.

"Look at them! It’s like they’re stuffed full of sleeping pills."

"Sleeping pills? That’s a strange thing to say."

"His mum popped into his surface thoughts, Mr B. There’s some kind of association."

"Which way, Woorawa? I’ll go first and try the calming thing and then Michael and Rhys can be the rescue team if we need them."

"What about the rest of us?"

"Just stay quiet and wait, Mr B ... No, don't go far, but move around really casually and keep your eyes open in case any more seals are in trouble."

Three pups and a half grown juvenile were freed before the group returned to the launch to take stock and have a snack.

"What’s the plan now, Michael? Do you want to keep circling like you said, or stay here for a close watch?"

"I don't know. I’ve never seen them like this. We’ll do the circling thing really slowly first, and cleanup any plastic or debris that might be dangerous and stop along the way to watch. They might be staying on the rocks because the warm day and the calm ocean makes them lazy, but that doesn't really work because the young ones are usually playing in the water. It’s part of the way they learn things.

"Are they scared of anything?"

"Not really, Kieran, except for people. Big sharks make them wary but they’re too fast and too good at dodging ... Would you take the wheel, Rhys, and chug along really slow so I can scan with the binoculars?"

"Me?"

"Everyone can take a turn if they want to, but you already know what to do ... and put a hat on."

"A hat? He’s acting funny, Kieran. Is he okay?"

"He’s good, and his mind is switched to looking for anything that might be making the colony nervous. He’s thinking of great white sharks and using his binoculars to search for fins."

"Are there any out there?"

"I haven't got their pattern, Rhys, but there won't be. They’ll be as scared as the seals."

"Do you know where we should be looking?"

"Only a strong impression from the seals that it’s the ocean side of the rocks and that’s where Michael is taking us anyway."

"There are seals in the water. Why don't you ride their senses?"

"I did check, but they’re all staying close to the rocks in case they need to get out."

"So all we can do is wait till someone sees something ... I know. What about an aerial reconnaissance like with the Coursers?"

"Good thinking, boss, and birds have got the best eye power too. Hey, you do need a hat. Your skin’s a bit red."

"No I don't. I’ll zap it better."

"Cheat! Say something to Michael then. He’s concerned.

"I hate wearing hats, Michael, and I go red like this but then it doesn't get any worse."

Michael gave him a ‘you’ll suffer’ look, then lifted his binoculars to continue scanning.

"He thinks you’re being a goose again."

"Do you think he’ll freak this time?"

"I suspect we all might, Rhys ... Get the launch moving while I choose a good set of eyes."

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another awesome addendum abounding with fun and serious interludes as well as potentially dangerous ones.  Thank you for sharing this latest chapter in your marvelous story.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

"Do you think he’ll freak this time?"

"I suspect we all might, Rhys ... Get the launch moving while I choose a good set of eyes."

Now I'm imagining another display to cause them all to freak....

Well done and more please!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Dathi said:

Another awesome addendum abounding with fun and serious interludes as well as potentially dangerous ones.  Thank you for sharing this latest chapter in your marvelous story.

They do have fun - even quiet Tan has his moments.

Thank you, @Dathi, it's great to hear how you're enjoying the story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

"Do you think he’ll freak this time?"

"I suspect we all might, Rhys ... Get the launch moving while I choose a good set of eyes."

Now I'm imagining another display to cause them all to freak....

Well done and more please!

Yep! I must admit that those lines are a teaser for the next 'action packed' chapter. :)

This post was delayed by xmas travel - next post will be back on schedule.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wonderful chapter; so full of feeling and emotions.  

Hate that they big business is going after the kids as much as they will be but nothing can stand in their way of seeking profit.  I am not sure that launching the bulldozers would be a smart move, but we will see.

Hate what man has done to the oceans and the land and the sky and well, everything.  We do so much damage just by existing as we do.  At one point in our history, we lived more in line with nature; but that time is long past.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Wonderful chapter; so full of feeling and emotions.  

Hate that they big business is going after the kids as much as they will be but nothing can stand in their way of seeking profit.  I am not sure that launching the bulldozers would be a smart move, but we will see.

Hate what man has done to the oceans and the land and the sky and well, everything.  We do so much damage just by existing as we do.  At one point in our history, we lived more in line with nature; but that time is long past.  

Yep! A bulldozer is a big beast and a real juggernaut once it gets moving.

I'm in complete accord with your views about our effect on the natural world. I reckon the natural world is now biting back.

Lots of 'feelings and emotions', particularly for Michael, who's world view has been tipped on its head.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..