Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 3,763 Words
  • 407 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 18. Chapter 18

WIDDERKIN VOE.

Chapter 18.

***

"Harris, there’s no sense to this. Whoever is orchestrating these aggravatingly effective protests can't allow their main figurehead to disappear. What do Benton's sources say?"

"There are no first-hand reports but what we do have is consistent in saying he's gone on a dream walk."

"More mumbo-jumbo. What’s that supposed to mean?"

"Apparently it’s a journey into the spirit world. Benton thinks it is a retreat to one of their secret sites for ceremonies and meditation."

"Do we give that credence?"

"I think we should. Benton has applied himself to building his understanding of the local situation the whole time he’s been there."

Morrison raised an eyebrow.

"Your sortie to Alice Springs didn't change your estimation of his ability?"

"It did, but only for the better. His efforts to retrieve the situation with the delegation impressed me no end."

"Hmm! That’s the Benton I know. Does he expect the boy's absence will mean less protest?"

"Not at all. The showground is overflowing with supporters and there are smaller camps all over the place. The elders and the old poet lady are facilitating all sorts of events."

"That’s not good. It will draw media attention."

"That’s what I thought, but Benton says that without the mystique and drive of the young elder the protesting will revert to the old patterns. The patterns we’ve always ignored."

"He’s a teenager and they call him an elder?"

"According to Benton it’s a mark of respect more than an age thing."

"Benton has been saying a great deal."

"That was my initiative. After watching him in action I directed him to provide me with a detailed account of the local situation and his thoughts about what’s been happening. Our phone conversation this morning went for over an hour."

"Distill it for me."

"The teenager has been the centre of every major setback. Benton says the strange occurrences that accompany him influence every situation he fronts."

"Strange occurrences?"

"The laser lights, the ants and snakes that stopped the carefully planned incursion, and that protest chant. Benton listened to five delegate leaders explain that the teenager’s dance convinced them the sites should be left alone."

"I can't believe I'm hearing this ... Five public service heads of department return from the centre and advise their ministers that the biggest national project in decades shouldn't go ahead, and you’re telling me now it was because of a dance?"

"I only found out this morning when I insisted on hearing every detail of Benton's interaction with the delegation. He thought it was so bizarre he was reluctant to pass it on."

"It is. But something inexplicable certainly happened. The Minister for Finance is furious because when his Head of Department returned he recused himself from any actions relating to our project."

"Can he do that? Replace him."

"That was my suggestion, but apparently he’s too good."

"Is his name Malcolm something or other?"

"Yes, Harris, it is. Why?"

"According to Benton he’s a force to be reckoned with. He has a very engaging personality and the other delegates aligned with him almost automatically."

"Hmm! Interesting. A natural leader. That explains his position as Department Head. He’s of no real concern though, as our influence in the Parliament continues to strengthen. Good work with Benton. His insights are valuable but keep the puzzling information leaks in mind.

And Harris, I’m ready to appoint a manager for the West Australian project and I want to discuss your recommendations this afternoon."

This was clearly a dismissal, and curiosity about the disappearing IT man would have to go on hold. This afternoon? That appointment wasn't expected for several weeks. Something must've happened in Western Australia. The rest of the morning would be frantic with research.

Harris nodded and headed for the door, his mind already gearing for the task ahead.

"And, Harris, stress with Benton that he must inform us immediately the young indigene reappears."

The gearing slipped. There was a tone making this more than an ordinary reminder. What did that mean?

***

Corey shouldered the day pack Mr B had given him and exchanged a look with Michael. The air of excitement and anticipation was palpable, even with calm and steady Mr B and Tan.

The whole day was a buildup of eager preparation for the impossible action of making a portal, as everyone so blithely termed it. Ten minutes earlier Rhys and Kieran had made an astonishing entrance, dressed, as if for a costume party, in leather.

Kieran saw the disbelief.

"They’re like a sign of rank, Corey, and the High Castle inhabitants will be out in force to see Maurice in their courtyard. My father had them made for us and Ranevargar says to wear them so we make an impression. We’ll wear ordinary clothes at the Central Grove."

"Has Rhys got a rank?"

"They’re all crazy, Corey. It doesn't mean anything."

Kieran's eyes flashed.

"That's goose talk, Corey. We’ve all got rank but Rhys's is special. The High King of all Faerie proclaimed him ‘The Warrior’. You’ll have lots of time with Ranevargar and Maurice, so get them to explain it properly.

Everyone ready? Good. This will be interesting. It’s a big jump, Mr B, but I know it's going to work. Jumping to the Realms Nexus is basic and we did it easily from Ban’s scriptorium. The only difference I'm expecting is calling extra power from my Opal."

"Are you forgetting the orientation thing? Even if it’s as smooth as a Tree Portal we’re going to end up in a heap again."

"That's good thinking, Mr B. I'd forgotten and we’ve got two extra bodies this time. Be ready for a mangle tangle, everyone."

"What’s the orientation thing? I don't know what that means."

Corey was thankful Michael asked. Tan explained.

"Okay, hand totem everyone ... He we go."

***

Corey processed the grunts and complaints, rolled to one side with a hint of amusement that he was on top of the heap, then forgot the squirm and kerfuffle as the presence watching through an entrance registered.

Eyes locked and, after what was clearly an assessment, Corey was given a nod of acknowledgement.

The imposing figure moved forward and the now resolved tumble smiled happily at the curious double wrist clasp, which Corey realised was much more than just a handshake or friendly greeting. Tan had described the High King’s garb and Mr B had explained about Kieran's memories being altered, but seeing the joyous welcome on one hand and Kieran’s more reserved smile on the other, brought a clearer insight of this complex relationship.

Rhys received the clasp next and Corey watched the formal moment change to sheer pleasure and welcome. Good grief! No wonder Rhys wanted to show his respect.

Corey, watching everyone else’s welcome, and increasingly daunted by the powerful personality and a feeling he didn't belong, was astonished when the double grip brought confidence and serenity.

"My father sensed your doubts, Corey. He calmed you and proclaimed you welcome."

Corey couldn't help but return Aglaron’s smile.

"Kieran, we should walk. Maurice seeks a rapid departure."

Kieran nodded but Rhys shook his head.

"Maurice is a big lump. We planned some time with you so he’ll have to wait."

Kieran and Rhys faced each other in a way that meant they were mind talking.

Rhys, his face beaming, turned to the High King.

"You’re coming to the Central Grove. I hope you’ll be able to stay till we leave."

"That is my plan, young Warrior. Lord Ranevargar has offered welcome and my Guardian is waiting to carry me."

"Well, we’ll still wait. While we’re here, you and Kieran should show Corey and Michael Tan's panel and the Nexus and how it works."

Corey couldn't believe it. Rhys was taking charge.

With a hint of a smile the High King looked to Kieran.

"Yes, Father. I agree with Rhys. Corey and Michael have special abilities and the more they understand the basic structure of the Realms the better."

"Of course, Kieran ... Special abilities?"

Corey, wondering exactly what Kieran meant, felt new scrutiny. Communicating with orcas was definitely special but, for himself, the main reason he was here was for recovery a new identity. The High King’s face lit up. There was clearly more mind talk going on.

"I see. We have new mysteries to ponder.

Kieran, you should reveal the Nexus, as Michael and Corey are comfortable with you.

But first, Tan, it is fitting for you to explain your panel."

The panel, and how it had shown the way to Central Australia, appealed to Corey and when Tan finished speaking he pondered the precision of the hexagonal symbols.

The light changed and attention turned to a mass of now glowing rock. Rhys spoke from behind Corey and Michael.

"Get ready to have your mind blown while you watch how it works."

Kieran laughed.

"Get real, Rhys. I haven't got a clue how it works. I’m just lighting up the pattern of energy flows."

"Is that you making it glow?"

"It’s the same glow you’ve seen in our practices, Corey. It’s just to make it stand out better."

"Is it safe to touch? ... Did I say something funny?"

"It’s completely safe in the short term, Corey. We’re smiling because Rhys had the same reaction when he saw it. He wanted to know if it was radioactive."

Rhys clapped a hand on Corey's shoulder.

"Great minds think alike. Good question, Corey ... Do the mind blowing bit with the power lines, Kieran ... It’s ... It’s beautiful, Corey."

Corey moved forward and couldn't help touching.

"It’s like pieces of ordinary quartz shaped into a hexagon."

"Pieces?"

"Yes, your glow shows faint lines where they’ve been fitted together."

The group crowded close and watched while Corey's fingers traced the lines.

"See. There are six triangular pieces joined somehow in a hexagon shape."

There was silence for a moment.

"Wow! There are too. I wonder if that means one for each Realm?"

Mr B got all excited.

"Of course it must, Rhys. Show the power lines, Kieran. There are six of them but if we look closely we might be able to see if they originate from separate pieces."

Kieran studied the Nexus briefly then to turned to the High King.

"Observing and analysing power flows is second nature for you, Father. Your skills will pick out details I might miss."

"Maybe."

The general glow faded and the beautiful pattern of Nexus power shimmered into view.

"What was that about, Kieran? The way he said maybe sounded funny."

"Careful, Rhys. Keep our private conversations tight and don't look at me. Father is a master at hearing unguarded thoughts and reading people. It did sound funny though. I was partly merged with Ranevargar when we did this the last time and I would have looked more skilled than I really am."

"Ranevargar says you’re a natural with power flows."

"Yes. I think I am, but Father’s been doing this for 1400 years ... Look."

The general pattern reaching to the six Realms faded and the main stream of power flowing to the High King’s distribution structure strengthened.

"Share my probe, Kieran. Before it diverges to the Realms I see only the flow of raw Nexus energy. Ranevargar’s teaching may have given you a different perspective."

Kieran leapt at the opportunity. Sharing a probe was something he’d only done properly with Ranevargar and Maurice, and beside this expression of trust, the experience of following the most powerful mind in all Faerie was hugely intriguing.

He reached, meshed with startling ease, and followed his father's lead. Whoo!

"It’s so clear, Father. Is this the way you always see it?"

"No, Kieran. This clarity and harmony manifested with the restoration of your Realm. I see nothing of what Mr B suggests, even when I focus thus."

The view zoomed to the interface at the very surface of the quartz where Nexus energy somehow flared into being.

Ranevargar had pushed Kieran to focus on detail, but never like this, and sensing his father's eagerness for him to learn, Kieran absorbed the new pattern till it clicked in.

"Wonderful! Now join with me to amplify the probe. Our combined strength may reveal something new."

"Join? I don't know how."

"It will happen. Use the pattern you just mastered as an overlay to strengthen the one already in my mind."

Corey watched the changing patterns of light, not with disbelief, unbelievable things happening seemed to be the norm with this group, but with wonder. The wonder changed to conjecture when the six far-reaching flows faded and Kieran and the High King paused for some kind of deep communication.

The conjecture paused at the sound of Rhys’s groan.

"Look what you’ve done, Mr B. They’ve both turned into buddhas."

"Not quite, Rhys. We are probing with a precision new to me and finding nothing new."

"Let’s move then. Corey and Michael have seen as much as the rest of us now, and we should get –"

Rhys broke off as Tan pushed past him and took the High King’s hand.

Corey, wondering what had come over Tan, watched the High King’s hand manoeuvred, unresisting, to rest palm down on the closest section of quartz. He watched the High King’s features register a strange expression while a yellow glow suffused the rock surface then rose through the column of raw energy. Tan placed Kieran's hand on top of the High King’s then, five more times, repeated the hand press to a new section of quartz, each time bringing a new colour.

Tan lifted his right hand to Kieran's brow and his left to the High King’s.

"Remember the patterns."

All light disappeared.

When it returned Tan was sitting on the floor and shaking his head as if clearing cobwebs away. Woorawa sat beside him and draped an arm across his shoulders.

"I’m sitting down? I did something didn't I?"

Mr B sat on his other side and a second arm added support.

"You sure did. It looked like you changed the energy flows in the Nexus. Are you all right?"

"Of course I’m alright. I'm just confused like every other time ... Can you tell me more than Mr B, Kieran?"

"Yes, but you acted primarily through father, Tan, so he should explain."

"Keryth and I have been shown new patterns from deep within the Nexus. You placed our hands six times and revealed a unique identity relating to each section. Then you fixed the patterns in our minds. The Nexus has become even more wonderful."

Rhys piped up.

"Show Tan what you mean. He's the only one who didn't see it."

The new structure of the power column appeared and Corey watched Tan's eyes light up.

"It’s so beautiful. Can you show the whole picture so I can see how those colours match with the Realms?"

Tan almost flinched at the sudden fierce attention.

"What? It’s common sense to ask while we’re here."

"Of course it is, young Tan. You spoke so forthrightly I wondered if the mystery was on you again."

"Sheba! I reckon Tan’s right. Follow the blue flow and see if it connects to Kieran's Realm."

"Yes, Father. This might be important."

"Of course it is important. It comes from Tan's oracle."

The profusion of colour and complex flows faded. Filaments from one section of the Nexus morphed to a single strand in the power column then flowed from the distribution utility as a blue river of power.

Corey, along with everyone else, jumped at Rhys's yell.

"Your Opal, Kieran! I can see it glowing through your T-shirt."

Kieran took the Opal out, blinked a few times, then turned to the High King.

"This is your doing, Father. My Opal is at the end of your blue highlight."

"Amazing. Take control, Kieran, and do the same with my Amethyst."

Purple replaced blue and, sure enough, the giant amethyst, now brought into view against the High King’s chest, glowed with gentle radiance.

"Now do something else."

"You think I should contact Ranevargar and try with his Pearl, Mr B?"

"Yes. Learning a pattern usually means you can do something with it and the oracle did put stress on it."

Kieran shook his head.

"Not straight away, Mr B. I rush into things too easily and these are the energy flows that hold the Realms together. That’s too scary without a lot more thought. What do you think, Father?"

"Mr B is right. Why impress us with this new pattern if it is not important. I think that means it is incumbent on us to discover its limitations and possibilities. But you are also correct, Kieran. And I strongly suggest consulting with Lord Uirebon and Lord Ranevargar before trying anything more than observation."

"Well, that makes sense and we’ll be seeing Ranevargar soon. What about Uirebon though? He’d have to to make a trip to join us."

"Get real, Mr B. When he hears about this you won't be able to keep him away."

"He and Lady Narello both leapt to accept Ranevargar’s invitation and are already at the Grove, along with the young Nexus scholar."

"Wow! All the Realm Lords except Maynor?"

The High King nodded.

"The Realm Rulers will join you at every opportunity, Rhys. Your group brought the winds of change to the Realms and, beyond our personal interests, we seek understanding."

Attention turned to Kieran.

"This is all news to me. Everything’s changed since the last time I spoke to Maurice."

Rhys pointed to the entrance.

"Let's go."

***

Corey's heart and mind lurched and the magnificent soaring spires and the multitude of spectators lining the balustrades and side pavements went unnoticed. No mind image was a preparation for the presence of the creature dominating the great open courtyard. Huge golden eyes swivelled to study his frozen body then shifted when Rhys raced forward.

Corey pulled himself together when Michael grasped his arm.

"Oh my God, Corey. It’s too scary. My muscles won't work if we get any closer."

"Me too, but it’s those eyes that get me the most ... Look at that. He’s crazy."

That, was Rhys pounding a beat with his fists on the snout now lowered to his level.

"Relax, Corey. Relax, Michael. We are friends."

A mix of calm, welcome and amusement came with the distinctive mind voice, and once again Corey found himself smiling.

"As you both know, Rhys is a prince of craziness. He expresses the shared happiness of our reunion with obvious delight. Come. Join your friends."

Kieran, Mr B and Tan held their palms against the giant face then shifted position slightly so the High King could join them.

"I think that is the Dragon version of a wrist clasp, Michael. Are you ready?"

"Yes. I think he magicked me out of being nervous."

The greeting proceeded and the High King rushed off. Rhys led the way from head to tail then nimbly climbed the huge back.

"Follow me. It’s easy really, but keep a good grip in case he twitches. His sense of humour is nearly as wacky as Rhys's."

"Don't listen to Tan. I won't twitch for either of you."

He didn't. It was Tan who inexplicably lost his footing and fell sideways.

"Bumble foot. You need more climbing practice."

"You’re a lump, Maurice. Behave yourself."

***

"Wake up time!"

The now familiar, and ever so friendly, Dragon voice sounded in his mind and Corey sat up. He looked along and, by the light filtering through the hanging entrance plants, watched Michael make his way to the relief cubicle.

"When you are ready there is food, and then Kieran and the Maker are eager for some private time."

"Michael too, or just me?"

"Just you, Corey."

"And is this the big assessment meeting? I thought Uirebon was going to be part of it."

"I will be taking Michael and everyone else to meet the Ocean Guardians. And, yes, assessment is an apt description, but Uirebon doesn't have the competence of the Maker and Kieran."

"I’ll miss out on the tree portal."

Maurice's amusement washed through Corey's mind, along with the knowledge that there would be many, many portals.

"Excuse me, Corey. The High King approaches to discuss preliminary ideas for the construction of Kieran's centre of authority."

Michael returned.

"Do you know what’s happening, Corey? Maurice woke me up and told me to get moving but then he went quiet."

"Yes. He’s taking you to meet Ocean Guardians while Ranevargar looks into my mind."

"Wow! Another Dragon ride."

"Not this time. You’re going by tree portal after you’ve had something to eat."

"Tree portal. I can't keep up. So many things are happening."

"You kept up last night when all those Realm Rulers bombarded you with the questions about being a dark child."

"I actually liked that. Kieran told me they were so interested it might feel like an interrogation and I should just be my normal self, whatever that means."

Open and innocent. Without protection Michael would be used and abused, was Corey's private thought. With this new insight, the Mandy person Michael often mentioned went up in Corey's estimation.

"The High King was the nicest. He said he wished he could speak with animals the way Kieran and I do."

"What about Ban? His eyes were nearly falling out when you described the orcas and the games you play with them."

"His eyes were falling out from flying here on a Griffin, and then he was overwhelmed when Aglaron made such a big deal about him helping Kieran. I really like him, Corey. I reckon he’ll be a great companion for you."

Corey was still coming to terms with the idea of having a constant companion. Fierce independence had been a survival mechanism before Kieran and these incredible people so freely offered their trust and friendship. Michael was looking at him.

"Another one of your thinking moments, Corey? You have them even more than Kieran."

"I was thinking about Ban and I like him too. I hope he’ll understand my different ways."

"Of course he will. He’s young and kind of on the same wavelength. He’ll be asking you as many questions as you ask him."

Corey grinned.

"Michael, he’s over 200 years old."

"Well, so’s Kieran and he’s young to you."

"I think that’s because he’s young to himself. He doesn't remember any of his 200 years."

Corey jolted with realisation.

"We’re talking too much. Quick. There’s food waiting."

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Daddydavek

Posted (edited)

"We’re talking too much. Quick. There’s food waiting."

What a great exit line for a group of young men, eager for breakfast!

I guess I was wrong, Cory seems to be adjusting to the realms faster than I expected.

Looking forward to the next installment!

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Spectacular reintroduction to the realms and as expected our two newcomers are sufficiently overwhelmed and as always the mundane empty belly overawes the spectacular.   Wonderful as always and thank you again for sharing, reading a new chapter is always a bright point in my day.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Morrison and Harris just don't have any frame of reference for what is happening, so they are falling back on what they do know.  I don't like the way Morrisson said if he shows back up notify him.   Something evil this way comes.

The fact that Malcom has already let the Minister know that he will be stepping back should make the Minister and those around him nervous.  When bureaucrats start to act out of character, watch out.  

So glad they are in the Realm.  Corey and Michael are in for so many wonderful treats.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

"We’re talking too much. Quick. There’s food waiting."

What a great exit line for a group of young men, eager for breakfast!

I guess I was wrong, Cory seems to be adjusting to the realms faster than I expected.

Looking forward to the next installment!

Yes, Corey and Michael are having their mind boggling moments, for sure, but they've both had the benefit of prior support and preparation, as well as instant acceptance by the friendly Realm Lords.

There's more to come about why Kieran and Ranevargar are so impressed by Corey.

:read:

  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Dathi said:

Spectacular reintroduction to the realms and as expected our two newcomers are sufficiently overwhelmed and as always the mundane empty belly overawes the spectacular.   Wonderful as always and thank you again for sharing, reading a new chapter is always a bright point in my day.

It's a very busy Realmstop this time, cut short by necessity.

:thankyou:

  • Love 3
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Morrison and Harris just don't have any frame of reference for what is happening, so they are falling back on what they do know.  I don't like the way Morrisson said if he shows back up notify him.   Something evil this way comes.

The fact that Malcom has already let the Minister know that he will be stepping back should make the Minister and those around him nervous.  When bureaucrats start to act out of character, watch out.  

So glad they are in the Realm.  Corey and Michael are in for so many wonderful treats.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

'Something evil this way comes.' - I've loved this quote for almost sixty years since I read the novel of the same name by Ray Bradbury. You're right to feel uneasy.:huh:

Yes, so much to take in in a somewhat abbreviated visit. 🌴

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I think if I was visiting the realm, I would have a hard time topping "I rode on and talked to a dragon".  

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CincyKris said:

I think if I was visiting the realm, I would have a hard time topping "I rode on and talked to a dragon".  

Lol! - Me too! :P

A 700 metre tall Realm Tree would be hard to top too - (pardon the pun :facepalm:)

🌴 🌳🌴🌳🌴

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..