Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 4,868 Words
  • 388 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 12. Chapter 12

WIDDERKIN VOE.

Chapter 12.

The adjudicator moved to his lectern.

"Ladies and gentlemen, after that extraordinary performance it is time to continue with the primary purpose of this meeting. I invite anyone with comments or questions to come to the front of the hall where we have a microphone available. Please introduce yourself by stating your name, and show-"

He broke off, startled by the yells of a group of five men who were rushing forward.

"Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!"

The 1st to arrive snatched the microphone.

"Jobs! We want jobs!

Go back to the bush and stay there.

We need jobs!"

He tossed the microphone down, opened a rucksack and launched a missile. The ripe fruit splattered in a red mess against Woorawa's cloak and the audience watched in shocked silence as four cronies directed a barrage of eggs and ripe tomatoes at their calm and dignified target.

"Holy hell! This is awful."

"Woorawa was ready for it, Rhys. Watch how it plays out."

The audience, now mostly standing, voiced its anger. The cronies, rucksacks empty, resumed the call for jobs then stopped to confront the people approaching them.

Woorawa raised an arm and called a phrase which momentarily calmed everything. With a gesture to Auntie, and then the audience, he launched the chant for the third time.

Anger dissipated. The clarion call for support swelled and confrontation was forgotten when the five cronies, apparently panicked, rushed off through a side exit.

The chant continued till someone closed the stage curtains and cut the audience from view.

The adjudicator parted the curtain and announced, in a frazzled manner, that the meeting was concluded, then gathering himself, thanked everyone for coming and wished everyone good night.

Benton rushed to Woorawa and, full of concern, apologised profusely for the behaviour of fools who in no way represented his company.

He began picking pieces of tomato from the cloak.

"He sounds like he means it, Kieran?"

"He’s acting, Woorawa. He can't believe the fruit throwers got their orders so wrong and he’s trying to save a bad situation. He has no concern for you at all."

A raft of details from Ranevargar/Kieran firmed in Woorawa’s mind and he shrugged off Benton's blandishments with muted distaste. He pointed a warning finger.

"Listen carefully, Benton. Stop all your subterfuge or I will send you away."

Benton recoiled.

"Subterfuge? Our offers to your people are genuine and completely open. How can you say such a thing?"

He looked to the parliamentarians and the Senator leapt to his support.

"That is a confronting statement, young man. The company is meticulous in following the laws of the land."

"Purchasing the support of a senator with a secret donation and the signed promise of a highly paid position is a subterfuge in my view."

The senator's mouth opened but he said nothing.

Woorawa spoke three names.

"If these three men threaten violence against Auntie one more time, the police and the public will learn of your link with them."

Benton, clearly shocked, shook his head.

"I don't believe I’m hearing this. I deny that categorically."

"Do you deny the secret team and the surveillance devices they installed in my home in Melbourne, and in the Cultural Centre tonight?"

This time it was Benton's mouth that opened soundlessly, while Woorawa expressed the related details.

"And pass the message to Morrison and Harris that, due to their manipulation, the company has forfeited the right of Welcome."

With calculated indifference Woorawa turned from Benton and the senator to address the local member of Parliament.

"Thank you for your considered words. I accept your respect and your personal support. I would like to invite you to this weekend's re-consecration ceremony."

The MP didn't answer. His eyes flicked between Benton and the senator, and then to Woorawa.

"Why isn't he answering, Kieran?"

"His mind is overloaded, Woorawa. It’s a tricky situation for him. Accepting will look like he believes your accusations against Benton and the senator.

Here we go. He’s worked out what to say."

"Well, thank you. I am no more deserving of an invitation than anyone else, Woorawa, but it will certainly help me understand the strength of your commitment. I would be honoured to attend."

For the first time since he had come on stage Woorawa smiled.

"Wonderful! Uncle Burrimul will be your guide and escort and we look forward to an extended conversation."

Woorawa turned to the adjudicator and his smile disappeared.

"Thank you for taking the meeting tonight. You managed to be quite evenhanded."

The adjudicator acknowledged with a single nod and then made a surreptitious glance for Benton's reaction.

Ranevargar/Kieran urged Woorawa to finish and leave.

"You have put them on notice, Woorawa, and we need to consider everything we have learnt."

"Is your time here limited, Ranevargar?"

"I am afraid it is. This mind merge is draining and half an hour of your time is more than two hours for me."

"Okay. Tell Uncle why we’re in a rush please."

Woorawa thanked Auntie and the elders and strode purposefully off the stage. The friends followed, watched Woorawa remove the cloak, then followed him again to the minivan parked at the back of the hall.

"We can talk here without anyone hearing us, Ranevargar. What do we have to decide?"

"You told the mining company they have no Welcome, Woorawa, but in their eyes that means nothing. I advise that your plan to stop them should be subtle rather than direct."

Woorawa stared at Kieran. It might be his voice but Ranevargar was clearly in control.

"That sounds good but what do you mean? No protest tent? No blockade by our elders with Kieran supporting them? No pickets at the mining office?"

Ranevargar assessed Kieran’s understanding of these plans.

"Go ahead with all those, Woorawa, but make the dissuasion a profusion of intolerable insect bites, or something natural, which invites a rapid retreat."

Rhys loved it.

"That's brilliant! But what’s the point, Ranevargar?"

"Discretion, Rhys. Direct action would most likely reveal the abilities your group has developed, and if that happens your freedom will be curtailed."

Mr B saw the implications immediately.

"It would be a disaster, Rhys. We’d have people watching everything we did. The media and scientists would want to study us, and the government would have a fit if they knew how Kieran can uncover secrets. They’d want to control him, and our lives would never be normal again."

Tan spoke up.

"I wouldn't describe our lives as normal Mr B, but you’re right about the watching. We’ll have to do more about the surveillance team."

"What do you mean, Tan?"

"They’ve probably checked our phones and bank accounts and looked into everything about us at college."

"College?"

"They must have, Rhys. How else would they have found the address for our share house? They probably hacked into the college computers."

Tan looked at Woorawa.

"We’ll have to make our laptop as secure as we can or they’ll know where we are every time we use it."

Mr B was dubious.

"I think only governments can do that sort of thing, Tan."

"That’s way in the past, Mr B, but even if that was true I am sure the mining company would get access through people like the senator if they really wanted to."

"Sheba! Can they follow us everywhere through our phones and the laptop?"

Tan looked at Woorawa again.

"There are ways to make it hard and we’ll find out about them. I wonder if they’ve found out that Rhys is a poor college student who’s suddenly become a millionaire?"

"Too bad if they have. There’s nothing illegal so they can't take it away."

Mr B answered.

"They might, Rhys. Our combined bank accounts growing to millions and millions of dollars will look very suspicious, especially since we can't give a rational explanation."

Ranevargar/Kieran took over.

"Those are matters requiring consideration, Tan, but our immediate concern is Woorawa and his people. You have several days to prepare yourselves while the forces against you strengthen and rebuild after tonight's setback. Plan for the future, but be ready for the immediate."

After a somewhat hurried settling of ideas, Ranevargar broke the meld and left. Kieran surfaced.

"Whoo! That was heavy. Ranevargar did all the hard work and he’ll need to recover."

"Do you think we’ll need him?"

"We would’ve had a rough time without him, Mr B, but we’ll manage. The next big problem will be if the mining company goes ahead with the bulldozing."

"What about the threats to Auntie?"

"That’s finished, Tan. Benton nearly had a fit when Woorawa said those names, and we watched him plan to put them and the rest of the surveillance team on the first flight out possible."

"Are we going back inside? Woorawa will need to talk to Burrimul and Auntie."

Kieran took a while to answer.

"Burrimul’s managing everything, Tan. We’ll be held up with the meeting at the river and then we need to get rid of those surveillance bugs at the Community Centre and check if the mining company depot has bulldozers and the heavy vehicles that transport them."

***

The elegant wisps of early morning mist lingering across Sydney Harbour lost any chance of registering when Morrison turned, with anticipation, as his assistant entered. The body language was not good.

"That took longer than I expected, Harris. How does Benton explain himself?"

"He believes his position is compromised and should be filled by someone more competent."

"That makes no sense. Has he had a breakdown?"

"His explanations are beyond me. His actions I cannot fault. The young speaker had information that could only come from an extreme level of counter-surveillance. Benton says he is under scrutiny and decided he mustn’t make contact till he could access an independent encrypted phone."

"That explains the delay, but what does he mean by independent ... And why?"

"When they went off air the young speaker spoke to him directly. He knew everything. He named all the members of the surveillance team and their actions, he described our financial arrangement with the senator, and he sent us a personal warning message."

Morrison scoffed.

"Telling us to back off I suppose."

"He named us. Benton was shaken because he has never shared your name with anyone in Central Australia, and he only knew mine after our recent confidential communications. He decided our security is compromised and his call this morning is courtesy of our competitors."

All sign of scoff disappeared.

"He quoted our names?"

"Directly. ‘And tell Morrison and Harris that their company has forfeited its welcome.’ Benton says it means denial of all access."

"Any attempt at denial is laughable ... But the security implications are beyond serious ... Has he reviewed his procedures?"

"In detail. The surveillance team worked for several hours and, despite all their expertise, found no sign of any observation devices or evidence of access to communication equipment. Their leader was shaken because the names quoted were real names and not the cover identities they had been given for this assignment."

"Benton knew the real names?"

"No, that was one of the factors telling him he was way out of his depth."

"I see! Replay the conversation you had with him. I need to hear every detail."

"Benton will not be replaced. He acted without fault and you will convey our approval with full force. Tell him to be a model of public spirit and cooperation till an intelligence team arrives from our international headquarters. In the meantime we will have to undergo our own comprehensive internal housekeeping.

While I liaise with government and law enforcement I want you to ensure that our media interests do what they can to counter last night's disastrous broadcast. Report to me at midday."

Harris nodded then hesitated.

"Yes?"

"A detail, sir, but an important one. What do you want Benton to do about the heavy equipment which is due to arrive tomorrow."

"Benton knows nothing about any equipment."

"Hardly plausible when it parks in the company yards."

Harrison nodded his approval.

"Benton is too valuable to be used as a scapegoat. There will be no bulldozers in our yards."

Harris, startled, said, "You are calling them off?” then bore the brunt of a fierce glare.

"And have my actions dictated by some pimply youth? The bulldozers will be serviced and launched from our competitor’s yard without Benton's knowledge. Does that have your approval?"

The question, as well as being rhetorical, had a sense of more to come and Harris registered the appropriate expectancy.

"Your work today with the media will be critical and this afternoon we will sharpen your initial efforts into an ongoing strategy. On the way out get Madeline to expedite a contract with that voodoo fellow."

"Voodoo?"

"The strange compulsion about that eerie humming broadcast to half the nation could well cause us more trouble than all the petitions, talk shows and public outcry combined."

"Oh! The chant."

"Of course the chant. I mistakenly regarded that consultation as academic trivia of no consequence and now we’ve been bitten. We need expertise to develop an effective counter."

"The demographic psychologist didn't strike me as being effective in any way."

"His web of contacts, Harris. Treat this as urgent."

***

Rhys faced a barrage of grins.

"Afternoon, slugsy."

"Afternoon? A check of the little clock on the nearby microwave oven said 11:16.

"It’s still morning, Mr B, and blame Kieran. He must have used one of his sleep commands on me."

Kieran had a sudden attack of exaggerated coughing.

"Ha very ha! So how long has everyone been awake?"

No one answered and when Tan jumped up to put some bread in the toaster it was Rhys's turn to smile.

"What’s happening? Are we still having our quiet day, or are our plans already changed?"

Mr B answered.

"Not much change, Rhys. We’re still going to the pool for a swim but Woorawa wants to check the protest tent first to make sure Auntie’s all right, as well as catching up on any news. Tonight is when it gets different."

"Tonight? Ranevargar said it was important to have a big practice."

"We’ll have to postpone it because we’ve got a really early wake up tomorrow morning."

"How early? Five o'clock or six o'clock?"

Kieran spoke up.

"Four o'clock, Rhys. We’re escorting the brothers with the bore machinery, and there’s a heatwave for the next few days we need to dodge."

"The bore expedition was meant to happen next week?"

"Woorawa wants it set up early in case there are hassles from the bulldozing thing and Burrimul just finished organising it about ten minutes ago."

Tan passed Rhys a mug of coffee and two pieces of buttered toast.

"Toast? You’re getting slack, Tan.Where’s my cooked breakfast?"

"I did cook. That’s not raw bread."

Woorawa laughed.

"You won't win, Rhys, Tan’s too logical for you."

"Ha! You can't eat logic, Woorawa, so a cooked breakfast does win, and why are we escorting these brothers? Can't we just meet them at the Valley of Eagles?"

"What has escorting got to do with a cooked breakfast? You just put them in the same sentence."

"Nothing, Mr B. That wouldn't be logical."

Mr B rolled his eyes in happy disgust. Rhys chomped his toast and reached to pick up one of the electronic devices piled in the middle of the table.

"I reckon we should keep them. I felt like smashing them with a hammer last night because it was so creepy but then we won't have any evidence."

Kieran shook his head.

"We decided to leave them at the mining company office, Rhys. That way it will be Benton who gets creeped."

"What?"

"It will freak them out how much we know. If Ranevargar hadn't got the locations and fixed them in my mind we wouldn't have found most of them. I want to get close enough to Benton to see if he’s learnt when the bulldozers are getting here. It was strong in his mind that it was soon, but he didn't know much else."

"You’re going into his mind again?"

"Now that I’ve got his pattern I can pick up his surface thoughts and certain memories, Rhys, but I can't probe for deep associations like Ranevargar does yet."

"Wow! How close do you have to get?"

"Probably line of sight, but I won't know till I try. My GPS locates him in the direction of his office. We’re pretty much ready to leave, so get yourself ready."

"Yes boss."

***

"Sheba! There’s nowhere to park. They’ve gone berserk."

And, indeed, Mr B had to drive almost two blocks to find a free space. With a sense of expectation they started walking.

"Do you reckon they’re all here with the protest tent? Maybe there’s something happening at the Council building?"

Mr B laughed.

"The council doesn't have a TV celebrity, Rhys. I am sure they’re here for Woorawa and Auntie."

There were big grins all round at Woorawa's reaction to the celebrity comment, but then they rounded the last corner and the extent of the gathering came into view.

"The park’s full! What do you want to do, Woorawa?"

Woorawa's amazement gave way to a grin.

"Nothing. We’ll sneak into the main tent and see what Uncle has to say. Is he in there, Kieran?"

"... He is. And he’s waiting for you. We can crowd around but I don't think sneaking’s going to work."

"Yes, it will. They’re all watching those kids dancing."

Woorawa's sneaking worked while they crossed the road and for a few metres along the footpath, but then a shout made nearby heads turn. The signature greeting that Auntie had instituted rang out and the friends froze in wonder as the calls spread across the park and changed to a roar of acclamation. Tan grabbed Woorawa's arm, lifted it high in acknowledgement, and told him to return the greeting. Woorawa did that then hurried past a sea of smiles to the protest tent. Burrimul and five other elders welcomed him with more smiles.

"This is amazing, Uncle. Why are there so many people?"

"They’re here because words gave hope and song touched spirit, and they want more. When Auntie arrives you should speak again."

"Isn't she here?"

"Last night wearied her, Kieran. Her people sent word that she will be late."

"She’s pretty old, Kieran. Let’s give her a boost when she gets here."

Kieran made an instant decision and silently messaged Burrimul as well as his friends.

"Mr B, we’re driving to Auntie's place right now to check how she is. Tan and Woorawa, you stay here and listen to what Burrimul and these elders have learnt. Burrimul, how do we find Auntie's place?"

The five elders looked with surprise when, for no apparent reason, Rhys laughed.

"We already know, Kieran. We’ll go with your GPS trick."

Kieran made a little self wake-up head shake then followed after Mr B who was already on the move.

***

"Stay in your chair, Auntie. There’s an enormous crowd at the embassy and Rhys is going to help you with an energy boost.

A welcoming smile had pushed through the subdued features as the old lady offered a cup of tea to her surprise visitors and started to stand.

"An enormous crowd? You tell me to stay when I am already late?"

Kieran projected a touch of authority and lots of assurance.

Auntie's eyes widened as she settled back in her chair.

"You have a strong will."

"I do, Auntie, and I will you to accept the touch of Rhys's hands."

"Hey! That sounds bossy, Kieran. If Auntie doesn't want my grubby mitts on her she doesn't have to."

Auntie looked to the open palms waving in front of her and, with a new smile, mirrored Rhys's hand actions.

"Mine is the grubby skin, Rhys. Are you sure you want to touch?"

"I don't get it, Kieran. What does she mean?"

"I think she is stirring you about her skin being so much darker."

"Ha! You are a cheeky lady!"

With his own big grin, Rhys slapped his palms against Auntie's then examined them closely.

"Hey, none of the grub rubbed off."

"He’s an idiot, Auntie. Don't take any notice of his nonsense."

"He is a kind idiot, Kieran, and I will welcome his touch, strange as it sounds."

"It is a gift, auntie. Hold his hands and relax. It will feel good."

"Hands, Kieran?"

"It’s a boost, Rhys. Not a full on zap."

When trusting hands reached, Rhys turned the grip to a double wrist clasp.

"We call this a boost, Auntie. It helps us wake up when we’re tired."

"Your hands feel strong. Does this take long?"

"Just a couple of seconds. Here we go."

"Are you monitoring, Kieran? She is old."

"It is only a boost, Rhys. It will hardly make any difference to your reserve."

"That’s what we thought with Ranevargar. If she needs more the process will take it. You know I don't control that."

"Hmm! You’re right. I’ll link my reserve to yours as a backup."

Rhys initiated the boost, started to flake out when his special energy pool drained to nothing, then recovered when the supply from Kieran kicked in.

"Sheba! That was close."

Kieran was too busy calling Opal power, replenishing Rhys's reserve, and monitoring where the flows were being distributed.

"Whoo! You were right, Rhys. We’ll have to expect surprises with any new healings."

"Where’s the healing happening? It must be a big deal to use so much."

"Something major in her abdomen. It’s a storm of activity there but there are tendrils of power going all over."

Rhys made a mental laugh.

"I could put one of my hands on her abdomen but it would be awkward to explain."

"She’s asleep, Rhys. It seems to be part of any major zap."

"Hey! Her hands just got hot."

"The energy’s moved to all her joints, and especially her hands and feet."

"Just as well she’s asleep. All this heat would freak her out."

Kieran watched each change of energy flow and gave his best interpretation.

"Something just happened with her veins and arteries. The energy’s following her whole blood network."

"You can follow that closely?"

"From the merge with Ranevargar when we were healing the young orca. He showed me more of how to match the energy with the system it’s effecting, and then I had all that practice with the other orcas ... That healing’s ended and something’s happening with her eyes. You’re hardly using any energy now so you must be nearly finished."

"I wonder how long before she wakes up?... And she’ll probably be hungry when she does."

"You can let go, Rhys. She's got the happy zap look, so we'll just wait quietly."

"How much will we explain? This was way more than an energy boost."

"She’s got a special spirit, Rhys. We’ll see what she thinks."

"What are the others doing? It’s too far for me to hear anything."

Kieran's interest was piqued. Distance wasn’t an issue for him, but only because he sidestepped it with his network.

"Can you hear Auntie?"

"I suppose I could, if I tried."

"What if she was in the next room?"

"Um! I think so. What are you getting at?"

"You made me wonder how far you can hear. We should do an experiment."

"Well, don't tell Woorawa or Burrimul ... They’ll add it to the list of exercises. Hey, Auntie’s about to wake up. Her head moved."

Auntie's head lifted and her crinkled eyes moved between Kieran and Rhys with growing puzzlement.

"What have you done?"

Rhys reacted with a big grin and an even bigger mental laugh.

"What is so funny?"

"You made me smile, Auntie, because we’ve heard those exact same words before. You fell asleep and you should feel better."

"I do, I ..."

Her hand moved toward Rhys, stopped, and with a strange look she tentatively started flexing her fingers.

"I can't feel the ache."

"Um! Where can we find some food for you?"

"Food? I don't ... Yes, I do."

With abrupt eagerness she stood and hurried through a nearby door.

"Wow! She really is hungry."

"She’s crying, Rhys. She wants to be by herself while she recovers."

"Happy crying?"

"Yes, I watched in case she needed support. She’s overwhelmed because when she was wriggling her fingers she realised how clearly she could see them."

"Is she alright?"

"Her thinking is taking over and she’s coming back."

There was a clink of cutlery on chinaware and a few seconds later Auntie, bearing a tray with a large cake, was with them.

"Move that coffee table next to my chair, Rhys, and we will share."

In short order everyone was settled and big slices cut and passed around.

"Have you two you taken me into a dream?"

Kieran took over because Rhys's mouth was full.

"It is not a dream, Auntie. We were going to give you some energy but Rhys's gift took over and did a lot more."

"It was Rhys who let our blind boy see?"

Rhys jumped in.

"Not exactly, Auntie. Kieran has to help me or nothing happens. I'm just ordinary without him."

Kieran punched Rhys's arm in gentle disagreement.

"He’s not ordinary, Auntie. His healing gift is special beyond belief. My gifts could make you forget your aches and pains for a while, but Rhys fixes them."

Auntie, picking up a second slice of cake, put it down and experimentally flexed her fingers again.

"My hands are truly fixed?"

"We think so. Falling asleep and getting hungry are both good signs of a big healing."

Auntie stared at Rhys.

"You walk with spirits too?"

"Too?"

"Kieran and your quiet companion are wreathed in mystery."

"That’s for sure. And Woorawa dances with mysteries. I’ve just got weird hands."

"Do you offer your gift freely, Rhys?"

Kieran sliced and offered a new piece of cake.

"That is something we need to talk about."

***

Kieran looked at the light shining through Woorawa's expression and had to share with Rhys.

"Look how happy he is."

"Well, so he should be, but his mind’s buzzing so much he won't be able to sleep if you don't help him."

"We’re all buzzing, Rhys. It will have to be a group command."

The Centre, usually theirs in the evening, was chockablock full with out-of-town visitors, and the friends were gathered in one of the guest rooms reserved for their use. Tan and Woorawa, amazed and excited, were trolling through websites on their new laptop, and Mr B, watching over their shoulders, was nodding to the muted Tan chant sounding from the speakers.

"It’s headline news across the whole nation for the public broadcasters and they’re making a big deal about the showground gathering."

"What about the private ones?"

"Totally different. They’re all downplaying and saying the protesters are taking a simple view of a complex situation."

Woorawa piped up.

"Auntie is the hero of the day. Her group doing the Tan chant with hundreds of people joining in at the showground has gone viral."

"Viral?"

Tan's fingers raced and Kieran and Rhys moved close enough to see. When Auntie's features appeared Tan pointed to where the hit numbers were displayed.

"Get real! There’s not that many people in all of Australia."

Tan made a funny look.

"The net goes all around the world, Rhys."

"I suppose ... What do they call it?"

"A protest chant mostly. Why?"

"Well, we all call it the Tan chant and so does Auntie. If that gets out your name could be as viral as the chant."

Horrified, Tan turned to Kieran.

"That’s awful. Can you make it sure it doesn't?"

"We’ll get Burrimul to sort it with her tomorrow ... She’s in another big catch up sleep from the healing at the moment."

"She’s in your network?"

"Of course she is, in case there are any more threats against her, Mr B. She agreed to it before I changed her memories about the healing."

"Really? Was that necessary?"

"It was her idea, Mr B. She said she couldn't trust herself to keep it secret. She gets so carried away she speaks what’s on her mind."

Woorawa nodded vigorously.

"She’s famous for it, but what’s that about Uncle not coming with us?"

"He’s heard that loads more people are are arriving tomorrow and he needs to be at the showground to help manage everything.

We were talking to him before we came to check if you and Tan were still glued to the computer."

"How are we going to get to the Valley of Eagles then? The back way is off track and needs special knowledge."

"One of your people is a park ranger who knows that area, and Burrimul’s asked him to guide us."

"At four o'clock in the morning? That’s quite an ask."

"We’ll know soon enough, Mr B. I’m suggesting a group sleep command as soon as we’re all ready."

Mr B leaned to check the time on the laptop.

"Nearly eight hours. Good thinking, Kieran."

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 7
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well the boys truly have Benton & the Mining Company on the back foot with all their secrets laid bare.

Rhys magic touch has Auntie in better health and spirits, ready to fight.

It seems everyone is where they need to be. Let’s hope their guide shows up on time & the boys get to the valley of the eagles before the trucks and bulldozers.

damn these cliffhangers! 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Tank traps will stop bulldozers and so will sugar in the fuel tank, just saying.  Another awesome chapter as we now expect.  With the bad guys not entirely certain what is going to happen next we can only hope that ugly occurs to them in the fullness of time.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, mutch71 said:

Well the boys truly have Benton & the Mining Company on the back foot with all their secrets laid bare.

Rhys magic touch has Auntie in better health and spirits, ready to fight.

It seems everyone is where they need to be. Let’s hope their guide shows up on time & the boys get to the valley of the eagles before the trucks and bulldozers.

damn these cliffhangers! 

Yep! Those bad guys are rather bewildered with the way their plans have gone awry.

The Auntie Arika healing was one of those times when the characters kind of took over from the author. It felt right and very much what Rhys would do so I left it there.

Bulldozers - next chapter.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Dathi said:

Tank traps will stop bulldozers and so will sugar in the fuel tank, just saying.  Another awesome chapter as we now expect.  With the bad guys not entirely certain what is going to happen next we can only hope that ugly occurs to them in the fullness of time.

'ugly!' Wow! You've really got the aggros for the minining company.:lol:

We'll see.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Their spirit and good will has gone viral!  I loved the healing of Auntie, I sure wish I had a Rhys to cure my rheumatoid arthritis!  I think that Ranevargar's plan to stop them with "A thousand little stings" is a great idea.  I'm always concerned that they will be exposed to society, which would be catastrophic.  Continuing the visible protest efforts on the surface, while using undetectable and effective methods below the surface is the best way to beat these robber barons.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Let's hope the group arrives at the valley before the bulldozers and other machines do.  

Loved how the situation played out at the meeting, with the protestors, and after the curtain was pulled.  

You can bet that while Morrisson and Harris were momentarily taken aback; they will come out swinging.

These just keeps getting better and better.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, CincyKris said:

Their spirit and good will has gone viral!  I loved the healing of Auntie, I sure wish I had a Rhys to cure my rheumatoid arthritis!  I think that Ranevargar's plan to stop them with "A thousand little stings" is a great idea.  I'm always concerned that they will be exposed to society, which would be catastrophic.  Continuing the visible protest efforts on the surface, while using undetectable and effective methods below the surface is the best way to beat these robber barons.

Yes, 'catastrophic' really describes what could happen, particularly if the autocratic sections of the world came after them. Luckily the friends are fully aware of Ranevargar's wisdom and factor in his advice. (as much as is possible.)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Let's hope the group arrives at the valley before the bulldozers and other machines do.  

Loved how the situation played out at the meeting, with the protestors, and after the curtain was pulled.  

You can bet that while Morrisson and Harris were momentarily taken aback; they will come out swinging.

These just keeps getting better and better.

Wow! I'm so pleased that the story is 'getting better and better' for you'.:read:

You've got Morrison and Harris's measure well pegged - Morrison in particular is a conniving 'old so-and-so', to use Harris's own words.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm tired just from following along.  The stress is punishing.  Thank goodness for the opal.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

I'm tired just from following along.  The stress is punishing.  Thank goodness for the opal.  

Lol! Wouldn't it be great if we could all have a panacea of some kind to zap all the stress out of our lives!!

- Hang on! If there was no stress we might get bored out of our brains with the blandness of everything - which would be a stress of a different kind, requiring a magic stress reliever of a different form.

Yikes! This could go on forever. :facepalm:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..