Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 5,058 Words
  • 1,461 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 1. Chapter 1

It’s been a long time coming but finally we hear more of the adventures of Kieran and Co.
Widderkin VOE is a continuation and readers new to the Realms and Nexus power might find a reading of Widderkin helpful for understanding.
It’s my intention to post weekly but I know that will vary.
Welcome to Widderkin VOE. I hope story gives pleasure.

Widderkin VOE.

***

Raptor eyes blinked at a flash of reflected sunlight, swivelled to a passing view of steel, concrete and glass, then focused on distant movement.

Behind the momentary mirror, human eyes turned from the sparkling blue of the harbor below.

"Thank you for accepting my invitation, gentlemen. I am looking for your assistance with a project of international significance. Please make yourself comfortable, and I will explain."

Three government ministers settled in plush leather chairs and regarded the mining mogul with wary anticipation.

"Our researchers have made a technological breakthrough with unprecedented potential for wealth and economic influence. With decisive action your government and my company are in a position of rare advantage."

"Breakthroughs are a dime a dozen, Morrison. Is this a beat up to promote your company."

Morrison smiled.

"Of course it is, Minister. That's my job, but a breakthrough in the order of ten to fifteen per cent for the efficiency and capability of most technological devices is a beat up with teeth. We’re talking about improvements for everything that uses a silicon chip – telecommunication, media, computers."

Eyebrows raised and glances were exchanged. This did sound interesting.

The Finance Minister spoke again.

"So why are we here? Are you looking for joint government investment, or is this about royalties?"

"The breakthrough is based on a trace element found predominantly in the mineral quartz, and we want unfettered access to a suitable site."

The Minister for Mining showed his surprise.

"Quartz? It's everywhere! It's the most common mineral on the continent."

"Yes, but sites with high concentrations of the trace element aren't, and that is precisely why I've called you here. Our past dealings have been mutually beneficial."

"I can't push for lower royalty levels. The Prime Minister doesn't really accept our current arrangement."

"I understand that. Make an increase of one percentage point. That will improve your standing and encourage the Prime Minister to regard this project more favourably."

The Finance Minister was almost bewildered. A mining company suggesting a royalties increase was a new experience.

"... You said increase?"

"Yes, Minister, I did. This project must go ahead, and to show you why we’ve prepared an overview."

Morrison moved to a desk and activated the intercom.

"Harris, my associates are waiting. Bring the overview to my lounge and be prepared to answer any questions."

Morrison returned to his comfortable chair and nodded inclusively.

"This document outlines our expectations. The first section shows a triennial projection of company income and is for your eyes only. The second section shows a similar projection of government income from royalties, along with a list of associated benefits."

The door clicked open.

"Come in, Harris! Distribute your run-down and we’ll wait while the ministers take it in."

Harris did that then moved to one side.

Folders opened and eyes began a rather avid perusal. The silence of concentration was short lived and broken by the Finance Minister's exclamation.

"Are these numbers real!"

"I can assure you they are. Read on."

Morrison watched every reaction, involuntary murmur of surprise and significant glance, with growing confidence that these three would dance to his tune. Was Harris seeing the same thing? Yes, his carefully neutral manner was just a fraction too contained.

The Finance Minister closed his document and gave a particularly expressive nod. Clearly impatient, he waited while his fellow ministers finished.

The Minister for Mining and Resources laughed and gave a thumbs up.

"All these billions! They’re hard to believe. When can we start?"

The Minister for Social Services would take his lead from the other two, so Morrison addressed the Finance Minister.

"Preparations are well in hand, Minister, but government backing would smooth the way for presentation to the public."

"So this is why you called us here. What’s the problem?"

"The project area includes a number of minor indigenous sites and there may be some local protest."

"There are always complaints and you always handle them. What’s different this time?"

"Certain high value areas have been proclaimed significant or sacred, and unless we can override their protection we can't legally go ahead."

The Finance Minister turned to the Resources Minister.

"How do we get around this?"

"We don't. The cultural protection laws have strengthened significantly in recent times and my power to grant exceptions is now subject to challenge."

After a short silence the quieter Minister spoke up.

"We give the project special status. With the right presentation it can’t fail."

"How so?"

"The greater good! Pride in a local breakthrough! Economic importance! Jobs and money! - We draft a bill making the project a national priority with enough clout to override any local cultural laws. The benefits are so extraordinary the parliament will pass it without question."

The Finance Minister turned to Morrison.

"William’s right. A special bill would end any hindrance to your plans and, if need be, we have the numbers to railroad even the Prime Minister. We’ll make it happen."

"I am most impressed, gentlemen. A government bill and your generous support is all the assurance I need to make this venture a mutually beneficial reality."

***

Chapter 1.

"Uncle Burrimul, it’s wrong! You’ll have to stop them."

After the excitement of reconnecting with Woorawa’s family and friends, the companions were gathered with Burrimul to share a fuller account of their time in the Realms, and to help Woorawa catch up on local news.

"We’ll try, Woorawa, but according to their representative they have government backing. The minerals they plan to extract are so rare and important for technological development they take whatever priority they need."

Woorawa, brimming with outrage, turned to his four friends.

"It’s not fair! The Valley of the Eagles is one of our special places and they’ll just take it over as if we don't count."

"It’s a lot more than the Valley of the Eagles, Woorawa. The area they surveyed is gigantic and includes the place where I picked you up."

Woorawa's outrage transformed to a look of utter disbelief and then to several moments of fierce concentration. Four heads nodded simultaneously.

"Uncle Burrimul, we’re not going to let them do this."

Burrimul recognised the five way communication as an instance of the amazing mind talk he’d experienced himself the previous day.

"Many of our people will be with you, Woorawa, but my only real hope is for some form of compensation."

"Many? Why not everyone?"

"Talk of royalties has made a sudden appearance, along with the idea that accepting them is being realistic in an unwinnable situation."

"You think it’s unwinnable?"

A hint of bitterness showed through.

"With a mining corporation and the national government aligned against us? Yes!"

After another five way exchange Burrimul found himself somewhat disconcerted by five sudden and strangely meaningful smiles.

***

Rhys swallowed his mouthful of chicken roll as Tan approached, and gave Kieran an urgent nudge.

"Now what’s happened, Tan? You look stunned or something?"

"I am. Have a look at this. I was sorting through my Realm pack and I found this tucked in one of the pockets."

He passed a leather pouch to Kieran who loosened the drawstring and peered inside.

Rhys laughed.

"Is this a trick to make me extra curious?"

"No trick, Rhys. Look for yourself."

"... Holy hell! ... Can I take them out?"

He didn't wait for an answer and, to the accompaniment of indrawn breaths and wondering exclamations, an array of objects, variously sparkling, glowing translucently or shining with rich colors, slid to the tabletop.

"Gods, Tan! If those clear ones are diamonds they’re worth a fortune. What d’you reckon, Kieran?"

After a distant moment Kieran's eyes lit up.

"It’s a parting gift from Ranevargar ... Because we need resources."

"Wow! ... Are you talking to him now?"

"Not Ranevargar. That needs a power call. Linking with Maurice’s dragon mind is way easier."

Rhys gave Tan a grin.

"Ranevargar’s given them to you because your head’s screwed on so sensibly."

Tan gave him a funny look and Kieran laughed.

"Check our own rucksack, Rhys."

"You mean ...?"

***

"The share house is still ours?"

"Tan and I had it set up so the rent was automatically paid from my scholarship money and his family’s been keeping an eye on everything. His cousin borrowed the car and that’ll be ready whenever Tan wants to collect it."

"Neat, but it’s still weird. Why would the College keep paying when you disappeared for almost the whole semester?"

"Mr B thinks we won't find out till we get back. Somehow or other they think he’s been on a sabbatical and guiding us on a special project somewhere."

"What’s a sabbatical?"

"He says it is a kind of holiday that’s related to lecturing work."

"Weird again. Where would an idea like that come from?"

"The professor. Mr B had a phone talk with him."

"No. I mean where would the professor and College get it? It sounds a bit like Maynor or Uirebon with memory change stuff."

"Yes, it is strange. We’ll find out at College next week."

"Next week? We just finished planning to stay here with Woorawa for a while."

"College stuff from Mr B's talk, Rhys. It's the last week of semester and we’ve got a whole stack of course complications to sort out before the lecturers leave. We could do a lot over the phone but it’s better if we’re there. It’ll be a rush trip but it’ll give Tan a proper catch up time with his family too."

"Hey, that’s great, but can we fit it in?"

"Mr B’s going to check flight times while we go for a swim."

"Swim?"

"There’s a pool just two blocks away and Woorawa didn't want you getting withdrawal symptoms."

"Hey! Let’s go to the shops now. The others might be ages."

"We haven't got any money till Mr B and Burrimul organise something."

"Well, I need new stuff before I can swim. Woorawa's clothes don't fit me and we can get cash if we find a jewellery shop."

"I suppose, but we might get ripped off if we don't go to the one Burrimul and Woorawa were talking about."

"No we won't. You just make a check if they’re being honest."

"Look in their mind? It’s normal in the Realms but even there you usually wait till you’re invited."

"Yeah, they do make a big deal about it ... How much control have you got? I mean, can you just look at the particular thing they’re talking about? Like when you were checking Ranevargar's surface thoughts?"

After all the learning sessions with Ranevargar, Kieran had learnt to search deeper and deeper into the amazing labyrinthine structure of any mind he happened to identify but he realised with a start that Rhys's suggestion pointed to a different approach.

"I’m still really only at baby step stage with mind skills, Rhys. Ranevargar has mostly had me practising stuff about memories and sensory systems, and isolating a single thread of thought is really fine control. I’ll ask Maurice about it ... What?"

Rhys was looking at him as if he were crazy.

"Baby steps! That's the biggest joke ever. You do stuff that even Ranevargar can't, and he walks all over the other Realms Lords when he wants to."

"A few things yes, but I haven't got a clue how. Ranevargar’s different because he does know."

Rhys nodded.

"He sure does. Uirebon couldn't believe it when Ranevargar knew enough to make the Nexus portal safe, but baby steps is a bit modest isn't it?"

"Not really. I can work with a Tree Manager but making a little seedling like the one Ranevargar grew from the table is a long way down the track. Ranevargar knows how to mould Guardians."

"Mould?"

"That’s how he thinks of it."

"What about Maurice? He’s not moulded. He’s all power."

"Hmm! He is too ... I don't know enough but I think he might be kind of moulded from Ranevargar. Remember how Ranevargar said he was diminished because he’d put so much of himself into Maurice?"

Rhys bumped Kieran's arm with his elbow.

"It's great having time to talk for a change but let's have a swim too."

Kieran cast a questioning thought afar.

"… Hang on! I got Woorawa to ask Burrimul about jewellery shops and Mr B’s arguing with them."

"Arguing? That doesn't sound like Mr B."

". .. Hmm! That does make sense ... Swim’s off, Rhys. They’re coming to collect us because Mr B insists on organising our finances properly. Five airfares to Melbourne is way more than Burrimul can afford for a start."

***

The jeweller’s face lit up.

"Burrimul, welcome to my humble little shop."

There was nothing humble about it.

"This is a rare occurrence ... and you’ve brought quite a delegation with you?"

There was a round of introductions and then the inevitable, "What can I do for you?"

"I’m not sure how these things work, Bintalu, but we’re wondering if you accept valuables in exchange for cash?"

"Well, to a degree, yes, but our expertise is really with selling. For the fairest return I could negotiate a proper appraisal for you."

Woorawa was shaking his head.

"That would take too long. We need enough cash for five of us to fly to Melbourne."

The implied cost raised the jeweller’s eyebrows.

"I see. Then you have something significant to trade?"

Woorawa produced his leather pouch and loosened the tie strings.

"We have no idea how much these are worth, except it's probably a lot."

His fingers fumbled inside the soft material, grasped something, then placed a clear crystal stone on the handy display pad. The jeweller leaned for a close look then, after several seconds of intense scrutiny, jolted erect and, taking in the five smiling faces, turned a searching eye to the shop window.

"Is this a prank and I’m being recorded for my reaction?"

Woorawa shook his head then touched the glinting stone.

"It’s a diamond then? We thought it might be."

The jeweller searched Woorawa's face and decided he must be genuine.

"It is a diamond, Woorawa. A beautiful diamond, but I would have to raise a loan to trade for a stone like this."

Woorawa, along with everyone else, took in the opulent surrounding displays.

"That means it really is worth a lot?"

The reply came after a measured look.

"You have no idea, do you? Most people don't. I’m not a trained appraiser but let’s have a closer look."

He used a magnifying gadget.

"Hmm! ... About three carats ... Extraordinary color and clarity .. and an unusual style of cut."

For twenty or thirty seconds he examined the diamond from every angle then removed the gadget and regarded Woorawa with a puzzled look.

"This stone is beyond me, Woorawa. At a minimum I would say several hundred thousand dollars, but there’s something unusual which could mean far more ... Do you know the provenance?"

"Provenance?"

"It's life story."

"We haven't got a clue about that sort of stuff. It was a gift."

"A gift?"

Disbelief radiated so strongly Kieran felt compelled to speak.

"It was from a friend who rules a country and isn't even interested in money ... Get a smaller gemstone, Woorawa. There must be something in the right range."

Woorawa's fingers searched again and a much smaller stone sparkled blue on the pad.

"Yes, a Sapphire. That is more- "

A frown preceded a grab for the loupe and then new amazement.

"Woorawa, this is a blue diamond. Very rare! What on earth do you have in that pouch?"

Woorawa, clearly enjoying this moment of revelation, upended the leather pouch and carefully let the contents make a little pile on the display pad, then jolted at the jewellers startled exclamation and panicked rush from behind the counter to close and lock the entry door.

"You’re walking round with the value of the Opera House. Woorawa, I hope you’ve kept any knowledge of this ... gift ... to yourself."

He hurried back though, vastly curious, and with an accompanying range of explanations, short comments and several outright gasps, examined each gemstone and arranged three final groupings.

"A king's ransom. You could give a pickpocket a heart attack if you walk the streets with that leather pouch."

"He’d have his own heart attack if he knew my pouch is sitting unattended in my pack back at the Centre."

"Mine too! But there’s no worry because even if they do get pinched I’ll just GPS them."

"Hey, neat! ... Looks like Ranevargar’s made us all zillionaires."

"That's if we can sell them. This guy is practically overwhelmed."

Woorawa started speaking.

"You must have a safe. Would you be happy to look after them?"

The jeweller grimaced then shook his head.

"The spirit is willing but the flesh is too nervous."

"Gods! Mr B! A jeweller who murders his metaphors."

"Don't make us smile, Rhys. He’s confused enough."

"No! He’s already sensed there’s something special going on."

"I have a better suggestion. Store them in the vault of our Community Bank. That would be less nerve wracking and far more secure."

Woorawa responded after Burrimul's emphatic nod of agreement.

"Okay! ... But that doesn't get us our airfares."

"I can help you there ,.. No ... I have an even better idea. Let’s close the shop now and go to the bank. It’s quite close and after we’ve secured these we can arrange a line of credit. That way you won't feel constrained in how much cash you draw."

"What’s a line of credit?"

Mr B explained.

"I see, and we can repay however much we use when you sell these for me?"

"Well, I was hoping to be involved, so thank you indeed, Woorawa, but surely you’ll keep at least one of these stones. That blue diamond is particularly beautiful."

"No, I’ve got something extra special, well four of us have really, that you might be able to help with."

"Special? As against this trove?"

"A different kind of special which means we need to carry them with us all the time."

He reached to a different pocket for a second pouch and carefully transferred the four energy stones to the palm of his hand.

The jeweller looked with renewed amazement.

"Oh my! Special indeed. I wondered why your collection had no rubies. You’ve taken them because of their matching size and color?"

"No! These are different and we need necklaces for them."

"Well! ... Gold would set them off beautifully ... but I wouldn't recommend it if your life is at all active ... Did I say something funny?"

"Our lives are so active we need something as strong as this one."

Woorawa put a finger under the side of Kieran's necklace. The jeweller, behind the counter, leaned forward and peered.

"Aha! Titanium! Can I have a look at your choice of clasp?"

That meant revealing a close view of the Opal but, liking the straightforward and friendly treatment Woorawa was receiving, Kieran slipped his necklace off and placed it in the proffered hand.

"This necklace ..."

"What did you do to him, Kieran? Was he going to steal it or something?"

Kieran, as surprised as everyone at the blank features, didn't answer while he tried to figure what was happening.

"I think he’s all right, everyone. His mind went into some kind of overload. Yes, stop worrying. He’s coming out of it."

A long sigh followed a head shake and a confused look.

"I’m sorry. I don't know what came over me."

His eyes returned to the Opal and riveted for several seconds before lifting to Kieran.

"What? ... What is this?"

No one said it was a black opal. That was clearly not his question.

"… I mean, I know this is the most magnificent opal I have ever seen but there is a ... It has ... a sense of presence.

Where were we? ... The clasp. Yes ... Can I ask where this came from, young man? It has an allure I’ve never experienced."

"Burrimul gave it to me."

Burrimul spoke for the first time since the round of introductions.

"In return for a greater gift, Bintalu. These friends healed Woorawa's eyes."

The jeweller dragged his gaze from the Opal and looked at Kieran and then the others.

"I heard that story and thought there must be a more rational explanation ... I was wrong?"

Burrimul went to say more but Bintalu was lost to the Opal again, and when his pointer finger touched with a fascinated caress, Mr B thought to Kieran.

"That’s a very strange reaction, Kieran. He looks a bit like Lady Narello when Maurice charmed her. I think you should do something."

Mr B was absolutely right but reclaiming his Opal wasn't enough.

"Zap him, Rhys. His mind’s not right. See if a quick touch to his temple brings him back."

"... Pardon me, Woorawa. The beauty of your friend’s opal is more than overwhelming. I’ve never seen or experienced anything like it."

"Yes, we haven't either."

"Well ... Where were we? Yes, the clasp. I mean the necklaces. I don't have the tools or proper expertise to ... Come out the back and we’ll have a cup of tea or coffee for a pick me up before we go to the Bank."

"That’s a great idea. I think we all need a break."

"Good thinking, Mr B. Rhys’s touch brought him back but I’m sneaking assurance to help him and I want to make sure his mind settles properly."

"Was it the Opal doing something, Kieran?"

Kieran spoke to everyone, including Burrimul.

"His thoughts show he could tell the Opal wasn't just a gemstone, and then I don't know what happened. I want to watch for a while to make sure he’s okay."

"He was funny just from looking, Kieran, but touching made him go blank."

"You think he looked blank, Tan? Mr B thought he looked sucked in like Lady Narello with Maurice, and I felt like he was overwhelmed."

Rhys gave his opinion.

"I just knew something wasn't right and I was kind of relieved when you told me to zap him. You’ll have to keep the Opal hidden if just seeing it’s going to affect people. Did Ranevargar say anything?"

"I’ll ask him, but he was happy for everyone to hold it that time when we experimented for reactions ... Collect your gemstones, Woorawa. Bintalu’s recovered enough to be wondering why we’re looking back and forth between ourselves."

***

Eleven elders were gathered at the Cultural Centre to talk about the mining company proposals. Burrimul had called them all because he wanted them to have some preparation for the way Woorawa's strong feelings might be expressed at the next night’s welcome home ceremony.

Kieran, along with Rhys, Tan and Mr B had been really touched by the obvious place everyone of them had in their heart for Woorawa, but it was clear from the continued glances that there was growing puzzlement about him.

"Wow! Look at the way they’re listening, Kieran. They’re soaking in every word Burrimul says."

"Of course they are, Rhys, it’s important."

"I don't mean that. They’re all elders themselves but they act like he’s their teacher or something, even the really old lady who Woorawa said has got a mind of her own."

Burrimul finished his set piece and, without exception, every head turned to listen to the old lady.

"You are a learned and respected young man, Burrimul, and your anger is shared by all our people, so why do you want to add confrontation and unnecessary hardship to our lives as well? Our voices are a whisper in the wind before the storms of power and wealth. Are not we wiser to accept the inevitable outcome and put our efforts into maximising any token crumbs they cast our way?

I propose setting up a protest place in the park near the City Council and confronting the authorities publicly with our concerns."

Kieran stared with awe at the determination radiating so forcefully from the gaunt and diminutive speaker, then sensed the growing consensus of agreement in the listeners. However would Burrimul respond?

"Your voice is never a whisper, Auntie Arika, but..."

Burrimul stopped and every eye fixed as a stranger moved with quiet but curious purpose to take the old lady’s hand.

"Your voice is a beautiful whisper."

The gaunt features lit up when Tan, hand in hand, escorted her to Woorawa who leapt to his feet at her approach.

"Sing against the storm."

Woorawa's wonder and startlement changed to purpose in the moment when Tan transferred the elder’s hand to his. A soft hum started deep in his throat then steadily strengthened to fill the room.

Kieran shared a look with Rhys and Mr B. Woorawa had conscientiously practised his repertoire of chants many times while they trudged their way on the Dragon Quest but this was new.

Without pausing Woorawa passed a singularly entreating look and the chant, augmented by a voice with a different timbre, took on a new life.

Kieran broke its hold enough to take in the rapt and silent audience. Woorawa raised his free hand then lowered it and finished. Awareness that they were holding hands surprised both Woorawa and Auntie Arika and with a graceful awkwardness they let each other go, then gave a little body start when everyone else rose to their feet. Tan bumped against Mr B and gave Kieran and Rhys a ‘what did I do this time’ look.

"Burrimul, I sang and the storm wavered. What has happened to our little blind boy? He took me to a place I have never ever been, and taught me a story I have never ever heard."

"He is no longer blind, as you well know. He sees with new eyes, Auntie. He asks us all to stand with him."

Auntie Arika turned shining eyes to Woorawa.

"If that is what you ask then I will walk the rocky road with you, spirit boy, along with any others I can bring."

"I don't understand what just happened myself, Auntie but we will walk the path together and my friends will show the way."

"Holy moly, Kieran. This is amazing! They’re talking like poets ... Is Tan still doing something?"

"He stopped when they dropped hands, Rhys. I checked when he gave us that look. I think that’s the way she likes to talk and Woorawa just followed on."

Kieran stopped, nodded because every pair of eyes was suddenly fixed on him, and wondered if he was expected to say something.

Auntie Arika turned to Burrimul.

"Will we set up a protest tent tomorrow, or should we call a gathering first?"

"The celebration tomorrow night will draw most of our people and Woorawa will dance."

A huge smile grew and then spread to all the elders.

"Of course our little blind boy will dance, Burrimul. There is no campfire without its flame."

All around there were happy nods of agreement. Well, of course. These elders had known Woorawa all his life.

"Why does she keep saying that, Kieran? He’s not blind now."

"He’s not little either, Rhys, but Burrimul and Woorawa didn't even react so I think it's like a nickname."

"Please come tomorrow night, Auntie Arika. I dance for our people."

Old eyes considered then focused on Burrimul.

"Meet me tomorrow morning and together we will pitch the first tent."

"Together is the best way, Auntie Arika ... How will we proceed?"

Voices rose with a busy hum of planning and the five friends watched for a while with a sense of not quite belonging. Woorawa indicated the door and led the way out.

"It’s elder business and they’ll talk for hours now that you’ve brought them together, Tan."

"Me? ... Wasn't it your beautiful chant? I snapped out when you let go her hand in front of everyone."

Woorawa laughed and linked arms with him.

"It was completely new, Tan, and it wasn't my chant. It just flowed out after you escorted Auntie Arika to join me."

"Who is she, Woorawa? She wasn't with you till Tan did his Oracle thing."

"She’s our storyteller, Rhys, and if she stays switched from caution to action it will be wonderful."

Kieran interrupted.

"She will stay, Woorawa. She sang the chant with all her heart and every elder was transformed by it. We all were ... She was taking control of the meeting, Tan, and you gently took her hand and when you put it in Woorawa's the chant started."

Tan gave a little head shake.

"In front of the elders? They’ll all think I'm weird."

Rhys grinned and held back a stir, then went supporting and serious.

"No way, Tan. Their faces were all shining with the wonder of the moment and how special you are."

Tan was taken aback by Rhys's intensity.

"Well ... What happens now?"

Mr B put his hand on Tan's shoulder.

"I don't really know, Tan, but Woorawa’s roped us in for this tent protest thing and tomorrow’s going to be a lot busier than we expected."

"Hey, yeah! What’s a tent protest?"

Woorawa laughed when all attention centered on him.

"It will be a tent with a sign on it that says protest."

"Very funny! How does it work then?"

"Like a message that says we’ve got our own ways and we want to stand up for them."

"By putting up a tent? Will anyone take any notice of that?"

"Auntie Arika is really clever, Rhys. It’s a park right next to the local government offices and they’ll sure notice that."

"Sheba! What if the Council doesn't like it and tell the police to take it down?"

"They won't do that for a while. The Local Council mostly supports our people."

Mr B was curious.

"You mean they’ll eventually change their mind, Burrimul?"

"Not about their support, but if our protest has any effect they won't have a choice."

"They’ll get orders?"

"Yes, Mr B, and when the police turn up we’ll have to be ready for them."

Tan looked horrified.

"You can't go against the police."

"That’s one of the things the elders will be talking about and planning now, Tan."

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 11
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome start, I am so very pleased that you have taken up the metaphorical pen again and have every intention of enthralling us with you wonderful word-smithery.  Just awesome cool!

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Hi @Dathi,

Lol, It's been so long I wondered if readers would remember me. Your kind comment sure counters that.

The story stands at just over 100K words at the moment and breaks down to something over twenty posts so I hope there's enough action and ideas to hold interest

Yay! Great first comment. Thank you.

  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

I'm hooked!

Great to hear!

This section of the story is mostly in the Human World but, somehow, unusual things keep happening. We'll meet some new characters too and I hope you find them interesting.

😀😃😀

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Welcome back and looking forward to the rest of the story!

Thank you. 😃

I hope your anticipation gets satisfied.

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Wonderful start to what appears to be a great new story with some of our favorite old friends.

Pacing was excellent and can't wait to see what happens next.

Don't you just hate big industry and when it gets in bed with the government, everyone needs to look out.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Wonderful start to what appears to be a great new story with some of our favorite old friends.

Pacing was excellent and can't wait to see what happens next.

Don't you just hate big industry and when it gets in bed with the government, everyone needs to look out.

:thankyou:

We meet various new characters too and the friendships widen. 😃

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/10/2023 at 6:45 PM, Palantir said:

Hi @Dathi,

Lol, It's been so long I wondered if readers would remember me. Your kind comment sure counters that.

The story stands at just over 100K words at the moment and breaks down to something over twenty posts so I hope there's enough action and ideas to hold interest

Yay! Great first comment. Thank you.

Oh my, with a start like this how could it not hold interest. Congratulations, @Palantir, this brings us right back to the companionship fold with the same mystery and excitement only Widderkin offers. I’m so happy for you to be able to share this continuing story of the companions and the Realms, and happy for us that we once again enjoy this wonderful story.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/8/2023 at 2:20 PM, Philippe said:

Oh my, with a start like this how could it not hold interest. Congratulations, @Palantir, this brings us right back to the companionship fold with the same mystery and excitement only Widderkin offers. I’m so happy for you to be able to share this continuing story of the companions and the Realms, and happy for us that we once again enjoy this wonderful story.

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and support, @Philippe. :thankyou:

This new part of the story is (mostly) confined the Human World so the 'mystery and excitement' might present somewhat differently. At any rate, I sure hope you enjoy it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mutch71 said:

A great start to a story i am sure will have me hooked in no time at all 😃

Thank you @mutch71 ,

And I sure hope you do get hooked. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I was wondering what happened to our snake-oil salesman PM Morrison, my local MP. He always has been close to the mining lobby since he brought a chunk of coal to Parliament. The representation of the way the Elders work rang through to me with my own experience with our indigenous Australians. The way a majority can be swayed by clever talk and "crumbs" is representative of the way a majority of australian's voted to not recognize we even have an indigenous population. Your story brings hope. Thanks for that.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I just finished Widderkin last week, so this feels like a natural progression to me.  I especially like Auntie Arika, I think she would be delighted with the realms!  I'm looking forward to the battle with the miners/government.  I'm concerned that the "special" quartz is related to the Nexus stone.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, CincyKris said:

I just finished Widderkin last week, so this feels like a natural progression to me.  I especially like Auntie Arika, I think she would be delighted with the realms!  I'm looking forward to the battle with the miners/government.  I'm concerned that the "special" quartz is related to the Nexus stone.

Auntie Arika makes a special impression on almost everyone who comes in contact with her.

Rest easy - there are no immediate concerns with the 'special' quartz.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..