Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 4,705 Words
  • 432 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 16. Chapter 16

WIDDERKIN VOE.

***

Morrison listened to Harris’s report on the government delegation's first day at Alice Springs with growing unease.

"A group of elders was waiting when our charter flight landed and they invited the whole delegation to a formal Welcome to Country ceremony which had been set up in readiness for them. The remainder of the day had been left for settling in and Benton had to accept the rather definite response from the five delegate leaders."

"Why would they be definite?"

"Everything was a surprise. They’d been expecting protest and confrontation and instead they were given welcome and respect. Each leader was matched with an elder and gifted with a message stick and when Burrimul, the leader, offered the formal welcome they accepted eagerly."

"Benton must be compromised."

"Yes, but not through any fault of his own. He was clearly surprised by their presence."

"What of the youth at the head of the protest?"

"Woorawa is his name and he’s central to almost every conversation. He appeared briefly at the Welcome to Country ceremony to greet the delegate leaders personally then faded to the background."

"Is that all?"

"It was enough. He was wearing a magnificent ceremonial cloak which gave him a strangely effective air of authority."

"Authority? A boy?"

"The delegates, and even the elders, treated him with deference."

"Strange, and no protest?"

"The old lady, called Auntie Arika, led a group with that strange chant but it came across as a powerful call for unity rather than a direct protest."

Hearing the way Harris said ‘powerful’ stirred the sense of unease, but a bigger shock was now presented.

"Burrimul offered the five delegate leaders a guided tour of the contested sites, in particular one called the Valley of the Eagles, and they accepted instantly."

"The leaders only?"

"Yes, Benton's plan for a convoy with a heavy police escort went by the wayside, and all ancillary staff will have to mark time till the expedition returns tomorrow afternoon."

"Have you learnt much about the nature of the tour?"

"A great deal. Each leader will be accompanied by an elder, and a ranger driving a big National Park vehicle. The itinerary includes every major location that time allows, with the proviso of a midday arrival at the main project site, or Valley of the Eagles as they call it.

Three delegates made a rushed visit to the Cultural Centre to build their understanding, and the other two questioned Benton about our interaction with the elders."

"Questioned? You mean with disapproval?"

"Everything I hear is a second-hand account but apparently he handled the situation well."

There was silence for a moment.

"I will hear Benton's report later. Give me your own assessment of the situation."

There was another short silence.

"I don't like it, sir. I have a sense that someone not only knew our purpose behind this delegation but orchestrated events to turn it against us."

"I agree, Harris. We’ve been outmanoeuvred again, and must now regard the delegation as a setback. Most importantly, it is led by bureaucrats with no real power over the final outcome.

I want you to stay with the delegation and keep a particular eye out for Brian Williams."

"Brian ... Our disappearing security man? Wasn't that in hand?"

"A serious miscalculation on my part. Apparently the ticket purchase to Darwin was a misdirection and it’s highly likely he didn't leave Alice Springs. The security team here discovered heavy and unexplained activity on our computer systems and they think he’s been using something called a backdoor to gain access."

"He’s the inside source we’ve been conjecturing?"

"That is far from certain. Try to give your attention to the associates of the young indigene. I can't imagine Williams having any association with the elders."

"My curiosity presses me to research the local customs and history."

"It does? ... Oh, the cultural centre, of course."

***

Woorawa watched Burrimul greet their guest and escort him to the four-wheel-drive where he’d have pride of place in the front passenger seat.

Kiearan’s quick skim of surface thoughts revealed excitement and anticipation, underlaid with a sense of relief that his visit was being helped rather than hindered.

"He looks eager, Kieran."

"He is. He’s excited and rather awed that he’s being guided by the senior elder for the whole area."

"Can you tell why this is exciting for him?"

"He’s probably never done anything like it."

"Elder Burrimul, I want you to know that I regard your help as a great honour. I spend my days closeted in an office, and heading to the wilderness is a new experience."

Burrimul smiled.

"Just call me Burrimul. Our driver likes to be called Winky, and my nephew Woorawa and his college friend Kieran, are helping us today."

"Hello, Winky. You’re a ranger aren’t you?"

"Yes, um, sir?"

"Please, call me Malcolm."

He twisted to the back.

"Hello Woorawa. Hello, Kieran. You’re on holiday of course, but where’s your college?"

"It’s in Melbourne, and Kieran and I share a house there with some friends."

"I went to college before I swapped to uni. Do you like the life?"

"It’s an unbelievable change from Mparntwe but I’ve hardly been there long enough to say much. Kieran guides me through the new things."

"Kieran. I love that name, though I must admit I’m biased because it’s the name of my favourite nephew. Do you have any Irish or Gaelic in your family, Kieran?"

"I don't think so. Why do you ask?"

"According to my sister that’s where your name comes from. It means a little dark one, which is appropriate for our Kieran who’s only six years old. Have you and Woorawa been friends for long?"

"Just on six months. The college had an expedition and we met when Woorawa was dancing for us at the cultural centre."

"Dancing?"

"You’ll see how good he is at lunchtime."

"Traditional dancing?"

Kieran looked to Woorawa to answer.

"It is traditional, but I add my own style."

"You say I? Does that mean you’ll dance by yourself?"

"It’s not a corroboree gathering, Malcolm. It’s a ceremonial dance to help you experience one of our special places."

Malcolm turned to Burrimul.

"I’m intrigued. Will there be a dance to explain all the sites we visit?"

"Not with the time we have available. We ... Look on the left. There’s a perentie."

The four-wheel-drive slowed, but not much because of the short warning for the rest of the convoy, and the view was limited to the reptilian rush from a roadkill to some nearby rocks.

"Good grief! It was huge. Are they dangerous?"

Winky laughed.

"We’re going through some wild country today so there’s a good chance we’ll get close to a big one. They’re mostly wary of people but if they feel trapped they can be very dangerous."

Malcolm looked ahead, as if expecting to see another perentie, then centred his attention on Winky.

"Life as a Park Ranger must be extraordinarily different to life in a city office. I imagine that encounters with the local wildlife must be a significant part of your job."

"Close encounters mostly happen when an animal has been injured or trapped. It’s always interesting and challenging but we’d rather they didn't happen. Freeing a perentie with a leg trapped in the rocks is much too close."

"You've done that? ... Of course you have. I’m just trying to picture it in my mind. Are you trained with some kind of animal first-aid?"

"Only for first response. We take injured animals to the Nature Park which has a proper veterinarian and lots of volunteers. Sometimes a quick end is the only merciful option."

Malcolm winced and went quiet and Kieran's already positive attitude lifted an extra notch.

"The world is a mixture of confronting necessities but I'm not sure I'd manage that sort of situation. I hope you don't mind me asking, Burrimul, but how did you become an elder?"

"I'm not exactly sure. I didn't do anything special to deserve it, and it was a real surprise when it happened."

There was a great splutter of indignation from Woorawa.

"Don't listen to him, Malcolm. He’s being modest. Uncle is our elder because he knows more of our stories than anyone except Auntie Arika. That would be enough by itself but it’s more because he’s kind and wise, and because he helps everyone. He looked after a little blind boy for years and gave him courage and confidence to laugh at the darkness ... He’s an ambassador for our people."

Conversation was suddenly inappropriate and only resumed when, a few moments later, the hum of tyres on bitumen changed to the rumble of a gravel surface.

"The gravel turns to sand when we branch from this road in about ten minutes. Keep your eyes peeled for anything interesting, Malcolm. It’s a real advantage being in the lead vehicle."

Kieran smiled inwardly at Burrimul’s deft defusing of Woorawa's heartfelt outburst and leaned discreetly against Woorawa's side.

"He was moved by your words but he’s too polite to say anything. I’ll explain your emotions to him when I get a chance."

"I got carried away. I should have kept my cool."

"No way, Woorawa. That was beautiful."

Burrimul started now with a measured explanation.

"There are many ways to become an elder, Malcolm. All of them acknowledge when respect is due for a gift to our people. It may be in the form of leadership, knowledge, wisdom, or some significant expression of culture."

"Is it fair to say that your idea of knowledge centres on your customs and traditions more than the modern world of science and technology?"

"While Woorawa eagerly learns our ways, he plans to pursue a course in computer technology. Winky enjoys our corroborees and ceremonies while working at a job like anyone else."

Malcolm cocked his head thoughtfully.

"So, you gently point out that I’m guilty of stereotyping your people. We have the same thing in our work where outsiders dismiss us as pen-pushers with no other dimension to our lives. Do you have processes for overriding the stereotype? It’s very widely held."

"Thank you, Malcolm. Yes, it’s very general but we have limited resources to do much. Our Cultural Centres help."

"Do they draw many visitors?"

"Wow! He likes talking."

"He sure does, but he’s very thoughtful. I felt guilty about the penpusher thing because I was thinking about the whole delegation a bit like that."

Woorawa gave a mental laugh.

"Me too, but I can see why he’s the main leader for the delegation."

"What d’you mean?"

"He’s really engaged Uncle. Can you tell if it's a strategy, or if he’s genuinely interested? "

Kieran was startled enough to examine Malcolm’s surface thoughts more carefully.

"It looks like he’s completely genuine to me, Woorawa. He’s still awed that he’s talking to a real elder, but now he’s impressed by how thoughtful Burrimul is as well."

"Uncle loves challenging discussions ... They’ll be talking all day."

***

"We go off track completely this time, Malcolm. The normal way in is too tricky for vehicles and involves hiking for nearly an hour. Luckily Winky's knowledge of country has come up with a vehicle alternative."

"Another adventure! What a day we’re having. And this is the site that was recently re-consecrated? ... There are tyre tracks. Someone else has been this way."

Woorawa laughed.

"Good spotting, Malcolm. We’ll call you our honorary scout for the day. Yes, that was us. Winky brought us in for a project."

"A project? To highlight the site’s significance? The company representative says that hardly anyone had heard of this place before now and you’re exaggerating its importance."

Burrimul spoke up.

"Highlighting, yes. As for importance I hope your experience today will reveal that."

"How likely are we to see eagles? My mind has been conjuring images of them soaring above."

Kieran couldn't resist.

"It’s guaranteed. Eagles have turned up every time Woorawa’s taken us there."

Malcolm twisted to give Kieran a curious look.

"I hope you’re right, Kieran, but guaranteed is a bit strong where wild animals are concerned."

Woorawa nudged Kieran secretly.

"Are you going to call many?"

"You’ll see."

"??"

The vehicle changed to low gear.

"Hang on everyone. This is a tricky bit."

***

While the rangers prepared food the delegates stretched their legs and studied the surroundings. Kieran thought it was interesting that the rock pool was a natural centre of interest and sent Rhys and Woorawa to mention the frogs.

"You’re going to call the frogs?"

"Yep. After I’ve checked on Corey. I meant to while we were driving but the conversation was too interesting. I'll stay here in the background and be with you in a few minutes. Rhys, let Woorawa do most of the talking."

"Okies."

Kieran sat on a rock and followed his network link, the only sensible way to make contact while Corey was about twenty km away. Wow! His mind was in overdrive.

"Yo, Corey! What’s happened?"

"Hi, Kieran. One of the bosses is here. I got such a surprise I spilled my coffee then nearly panicked because he saw it happen and watched me while I mopped it up."

"Not the delegate bosses. They’re all here."

"No, Harris, the second-from-top company boss. He briefed the whole security team before we came here. He’s wearing a delegates badge."

"Where is he now?"

"I don't know. I left in case he recognised a mannerism or something."

"Good thinking, but don't worry because even if he does he'll think it's just a weird coincidence. I'll keep this link active so you can yell if anything significant happens ... Could they have traced your computer hacking to Alice Springs or the Centre?"

"Not a chance in hell. The best they might do is notice extra activity."

Kieran couldn't repress a smile at Corey's confidence.

"Okay, he’s there for some other reason then, which we probably need to know. I’m not good enough to do anything from this far away so we’ll have to wait till this afternoon."

"How will you find him?"

"I’ve got his image from your mind, so unless he’s left, it won't be too hard."

"Do you think it’ll be okay to walk to the shops to get a couple more storage drives?"

"No problems, but more?"

"I’m copying some encrypted files from Sydney that could be interesting."

"Encrypted means you can't read them doesn't it?"

"I installed the encryption protocols, Kieran, so the files will be like an open book when I get at them tomorrow."

"Kieran?"

"I have to go, Corey. Rhys is calling me."

"Okay, see you later."

Kieran's attention turned to the rock pool where Woorawa was pointing at something. The little reed patch. This was good timing. The frog pattern, learnt at this very spot, clicked in and eleven little bodies bobbed to the surface and swam eagerly towards welcome and protection. Whoo! Turn the aura down and send a purpose.

There was a startled call from one of the delegates.

"Look! Frogs! Just near Malcolm's rock."

Heads turned and surprised eyes locked on.

Malcolm, sitting on the rock, swivelled and watched with obvious delight as the little army manoeuvred to the water's edge not far from his foot. Goggly eyes stared up at him for a time, then bodies turned, and after a hop and a dive, swam away underwater.

Of one accord the human eyes turned to Woorawa.

"They’re centralian tree frogs. We’ve seen them here before."

"They were looking at me. I'm sure of it."

There were murmurs of assent.

Kieran projected his thanks as a feeling of well-being and, leaving the frogs, opened his senses wide. So many options.

Yes! Budgerigars would be fun and there were large numbers of them, mostly spread in a kind of long winding strip. What? Oh! Keeping close to the rock pools in the otherwise dry creek bed.

Through a refined version of the mind net he’d learnt at Phillip Island, Kieran invited every budgerigar to the, oh so inviting, water and surrounds of the bigger rock pool about forty metres along the creek bed from the one where the delegates were gathered.

A small group passed overhead, their excited calls drawing attention.

"Is that you with the budgies, Kieran?"

"Talk to the delegates about them, Woorawa. Lots more will arrive in the next few minutes."

Woorawa's arm pointed as another group passed and settled in a line at the water's edge.

"The rock pools are special when it’s dry everywhere else, and the heat wave we’ve just been through is probably keeping them close."

"Are they budgerigars that have gone wild?"

"This is their natural habitat ..."

Woorawa stopped talking because more groups were arriving and no one was listening.

"Wow! That’s neat, Kieran."

Kieran agreed.

"And here come the last of them. I'll hold them for about five minutes then let them do whatever they like."

There wasn't much holding to do. This was a one of their naturally favoured waterholes. The screech and bustle of competition for access to the overcrowded water’s edge brought a kaleidoscope of sound and colour to the startled watchers.

Malcolm turned to Woorawa.

"Is this normal? Thousands of tiny lives coming from every direction and gathering in one place?"

"It’s completely normal. I haven't seen them myself, but uncle says that flocks much bigger than this often congregate at the springs closer to Mparntwe."

Kieran wondered why Michael looked so rapt.

"You told us about the mutton birds at Phillip Island, Michael. This is nothing like that."

"The shearwaters are awesome, Kieran. This is like living colour."

The five delegates watched till with a great skirl of noise, the budgies took flight and headed down the valley.

"Time to eat, everyone."

Burrimul’s call set everyone moving and Kieran watched the interplay of discussion with satisfaction till everyone was gathered in the limited shade of one of the rocky outcrops.

Now for another event, a small one this time, so as not to distract from the food.

He spread his awareness and gave a startled mental yell. All this companions’ heads turned.

"What's wrong, Kieran?"

"Sorry, everyone. That was a close call. I relaxed my affinity thing but forgot to make it specific to the budgies and we would have been swamped."

"What with?"

"Birds first, Woorawa, but there are wallabies watching from the rocks we drove past on the way in, and there are skinks peering down from every little ledge above us ... There! It's all under control except for three black kites who are about to arrive."

"You relaxed you aura for everything? Was it as effective as it is in the Realms?"

"Not completely everything, Rhys. We’d be surrounded by wild bees and every other insect if I did."

"Bees? Your aura works with insects now?"

"Snap out, Rhys. You know it does from when the ants helped us."

"I suppose. I was thinking of insects as things that fly."

"Ants do fly. Well, some of them."

One of the delegates nudged Malcolm.

"Look at that. There are groups of little lizards on the rocks."

Malcolm didn't answer because he was eating. He looked though, and watched while he finished his mouthful.

"They’re like the frogs and I’m sure they’re looking at us. Why don't they run or hide, Winky?"

"I’m not sure. They do have a kind of safe distance built-in, but with this many people so close I’m surprised we can see any at all."

Little heads twitched upward and every skink disappeared. The delegates looked to Winky again.

"This time I know what happened. They saw the kites and rushed to safety."

Two kites tracked watchfully above while a third dropped to probe a crack in the rocks then launch with a tiny body convulsing in its beak.

"A bit gory, Kieran. Was that for the delegates?"

"No way, Mr B. I brought the kites close and that was natural hunting instinct taking over."

"The delegate leader is giving Woorawa and the elders a funny look."

"His name’s Malcolm and he had a huge discussion with Burrimul the whole time we were travelling. Hang on while I skim his surface thoughts ... Neat! He’s puzzled about something. Move closer and we might find out because he’s going to talk to Burrimul."

"I’m curious, Burrimul. The other elders have reacted to the animals like the rest of us, but you’ve been slightly different, almost as if you were expecting them."

"I am different, Malcolm. Just like Kieran, I’ve had memorable experiences every time I've accompanied Woorawa here."

"Woorawa? ... Whatever do you mean?"

"I believe he is attuned to the spirit of this place. You’ll see for yourself when he shares his message."

"You mean his dance?"

Burrimul nodded. Malcolm turned to study Woorawa and lapsed to silent contemplation.

"Burrimul’s just made Woorawa the centre of attention. Did you plan that with him?"

"No, but it’s brilliant, Mr B. Malcolm's strong personality influences all the other delegates and the idea of an association with the animals could make Woorawa's dance a double whammy."

"I don't think so, Kieran. He’s doing the Eagle Dance he did at the showground, and once that starts no one's got a mind left to whammy."

"Hmm! And that includes me, Mr B. Burrimul’s given me a new idea but I’ll have to set it all going before I get lost in the dance."

"Another new idea?"

"A change really. The Eagles were going to arrive a bit later but if Woorawa points them out during his dance Malcolm won't know what to think."

"Gods! No one will."

After the food was finished everyone, including the five intrigued delegates, was sent to search out sets of rhythm sticks and then practice the beats Woorawa wanted for accompaniment. Once the patterns were established Burrimul took the lead while Woorawa went to the four-wheel-drive to get ready. The beat hushed when he reappeared, clad in his baggy traditional loincloth and holding an eagle feather. The feather pointed to the watchers and with a curious gait, instantly recognised as the strut of a grounded eagle, he made his approach. A soft rhythm matched the steps, strengthened as everyone followed, and with a simple reach of arms the ebony form became the King of Eagles.

Taken out of himself Kieran swelled with awe when five avian forms responded to the arm raised in invitation by spiralling in majestic descent to alight in the nearest tree. The Eagle King made a gesture of entreaty to the delegates, stilled, straightened, and in a heartbeat became Woorawa.

Kieran dragged himself to proper awareness, resumed direct control of the five sentinels, then turned his attention to the silence around him.

Oh my! Malcolm was wiping tears from his eyes while his four compatriots looked dumbstruck.

The friends were used to the still period after Woorawa's special presentations but this one went on and on.

"They’re too quiet, Kieran. Why don't they do something?"

"They will when they’re ready, Woorawa. Look at the rangers and the elders. They’re as rapt as the delegates."

"Are you sure? This is the second time they’ve seen it."

"Woorawa, you’re unbelievable! No one could get used to what happens when you dance. When you involved the Eagles I was so enchanted I forgot it was me who told them what to do."

"Will they fly away when there’s movement? You haven't told me."

"That’s because I’m playing it by ear. I think I’ll.."

Movement started, but not with delegates, elders or ranges. Tan was approaching, clearly with intent, and Kieran hastily checked if he was in Oracle mode.

"He’s himself, Woorawa. He’s had one of his ideas and he wants them to get the feather."

"The feather? Sure."

Woorawa offered him the feather but Tan ignored it and instead gave Woorawa a huge hug.

"You are so amazing. I feel like I am going to explode with wonder every time you dance."

"I think the dance worked. They’re giving us a real look."

"Of course it worked but would you mind giving them your feather for a way to make them more connected?"

"We’ll go together and you can give it to them, Tan. I want them to know it’s your idea."

"Good thinking, Woorawa, but be quick. They’re coming out of their daze."

Woorawa passed the feather over and rested a hand on Tan's shoulder.

"Which one should I give it to, Kieran?"

"Definitely Malcolm, but promise the other four that there’s one for them too."

Tan clapped a hand to his head in dismay.

"What am I thinking."

He halted the approach and raised a delaying hand.

"Wait a moment, everyone. I need to get something."

He darted to the four-wheel-drive, returned, and watched by curious eyes, gave back the dance feather and draped the cloak over Woorawa's shoulders. He gave a slow nod of ceremonial deference then looked to Burrimul.

"Tell Burrimul to recognise him, Kieran. Woorawa should bestow the feathers as an elder."

Burrimul’s head lifted a little at the silent message. A soft distinctive chant began then strengthened when the other elders moved next to him and joined in.

"How am I meant to do this, Kieran?"

"This is your place, Woorawa. Tan dressed you in the cloak and the elders are acknowledging that, so just do whatever you think suits ... I can give you some extra authority if you like."

Woorawa straightened as if the offer was a wake-up call.

"Thanks, Kieran, but no. That’s what the cloak means."

A different Woorawa moved forward, his youth and vitality overlaid with presence and authority.

"Visitors from afar, I welcome you to the Valley of the Eagles. The spirits of this special place ... He moved his arm to indicate silent watchers, the outcrop above, and the rock pools ... Recognise your respect and are comfortable with your stay. We would like you to take a part of this place with you.

Malcolm, this is for the wonder in your eyes and the spark of your understanding."

"Holy hell, Kieran! This is giving me the shivers. He’s like Burrimul or Ranevargar when they go all wise."

"Me too, Rhys. It's like the council meeting and the big events with his people."

One by one Woorawa presented the rest of the delegates with a feather he detached from his cloak.

The elder chant finished and Malcolm, shifting attention from the gift in his hand to the five eagles and back again, gave a nod of respect.

"Elder Woorawa, there are no words."

"Ha! For someone with no words he’s doing pretty well."

"Shoosh, Rhys. He totally means what he’s saying."

Woorawa nodded acknowledgement and thanks, smiled, and in a heartbeat became ordinary Woorawa.

"This cloak’s too hot when I’ve been dancing."

He undid the clasp, started folding, then turned.

"Wow! They’re still here. What d’you reckon, Malcolm? They look like guards or something."

"They want to see you dance again."

"Who knows ... Thanks, Mr B. A drink is just what I need."

Woorawa's head tilted and throat muscles worked till he was satisfied and returned the drink container. He wiped his brow and turned to Burrimul.

"What happens now, Uncle? Are we heading back to Mparntwe?"

"Whenever the delegates are ready, dreamwalker. They might like to relax, or survey more of the area if they need to."

Malcolm looked horrified.

"Elder Burrimul, for my part I can't countenance the thought of interference or intrusion to this extraordinary place. I will be making the strongest recommendation against proceeding with this project. Would you be happy to show us more? The falcon nest site Woorawa described while we were travelling really caught my interest."

"The peregrines? Certainly, but it’s a walk to the base of the cliffs and it’s unlikely to be in use at this time of the year."

"Have you still got the Peregrine Falcon pattern, Kieran?"

"Hang on. I’ll check."

They weren't close but an Opal boost located them five or six kms down the valley.

"I’ve found them, Woorawa, and they’ll put on a show when we’re close to the nest."

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

More fun and games, confusion to the enemy and all that stuff.  Exhilarating chapter as usual, thank you for sharing your art.  Very well done. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Dathi said:

More fun and games, confusion to the enemy and all that stuff.  Exhilarating chapter as usual, thank you for sharing your art.  Very well done. 

Yep, confusion is right - but those dratted enemies keep coming up with fun and games of their own.:facepalm:

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Woorawa performed his own completely natural magic for the delegates.  This passage makes me wonder if one of our main bad guys, Harris, might be on the road to a change in attitude:

"My curiosity presses me to research the local customs and history."

I do have a question, is Malcolm a new character or is he Benton?

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CincyKris said:

Woorawa performed his own completely natural magic for the delegates.  This passage makes me wonder if one of our main bad guys, Harris, might be on the road to a change in attitude:

"My curiosity presses me to research the local customs and history."

I do have a question, is Malcolm a new character or is he Benton?

Thanks @CincyKris,

Yes, Woorawa's 'natural' magic is an inspiration for all.

Lol - Harris has not one iota of interest in the local customs and history. His boss wonders if Brian (Corey)  might possibly have linked with Woorawa and the 'curiosity' is Harris's cover for going to the Visitor's Centre where he knows the friends are based.

Malcolm is a new, and rather important, character. He is the Department Head of the Finance Ministry.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Well done! The delegates are now firmly opposed to the company's plan!

Yep! Morrison's ploy to shift the confrontation buck to the government is now in tatters. :thumbup:

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Another great instalment 😃

right from their arrival, Kieran and the team have had the deligation off balance and now enraptured in Woorawa’s special presence - wonderful things really do happen in the Valley when he’s there 😜. Dreamwalker indeed.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mutch71 said:

Another great instalment 😃

right from their arrival, Kieran and the team have had the deligation off balance and now enraptured in Woorawa’s special presence - wonderful things really do happen in the Valley when he’s there 😜. Dreamwalker indeed.

And great to know you enjoyed the installment. :thankyou:

Yes, the balance scales for Malcolm and the other four delegates have really tipped towards Woorawa. Maybe we should call him 'Dreamdancer' as well as Dreamwalker? 🦅

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Harris and Morrisson are going to have to step up their game.  Morrisson is right though; while this group will report, as bureaucrats, they will have little says in the final analysis.  They might be able to slow or speed something up or down; but the decision will be made about their level.

Malcolm was interesting and his reactions to not just the people but the natural world around this area was very telling.  

Corey is going to cause Morrisson to have fits before he is through.  I can't wait to see what all happens.

The guys are giving this group a special trip; one they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Harris and Morrisson are going to have to step up their game.  Morrisson is right though; while this group will report, as bureaucrats, they will have little says in the final analysis.  They might be able to slow or speed something up or down; but the decision will be made about their level.

Malcolm was interesting and his reactions to not just the people but the natural world around this area was very telling.  

Corey is going to cause Morrisson to have fits before he is through.  I can't wait to see what all happens.

The guys are giving this group a special trip; one they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Can't wait to see what happens next.

Wow! Lots of interesting thoughts! :great:

You're right of course.  Morrison isn't overly concerned by the constant run of setbacks because he's got three of the most powerful movers and shakers in the government well and truly under his thumb.

Malcolm picked us so much he surprised even Kieran who was keeping a careful watch on his surface thoughts.

Morrison can't believe his hold over Brian(Cory) has stopped working. Lol! - there's already been a hint of something rather fitworthy - 'nuff said. :gikkle:

The coming chapter prepares Corey for the Realms.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..