Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 5,055 Words
  • 406 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 19. Chapter 19

WIDDERKIN VOE.

Chapter 19.

***

The great dragon and the contingent gathered in front of him blinked from view and Corey turned to Kieran and Ranevargar who were both smiling.

"Time to relax, Corey. Gryl is waiting to share the time with us."

"Gryl?"

"Yes. You’ll be spending a lot of time with him and he wants to get to know you."

Corey looked to the huge feline basking in the sun beside the Realm Tree bole and wasn't too sure that relax was the right word.

"He’s in line with us, Corey, and after a few gentle licks he’ll be in line with you."

"When you speak aloud I tend to assume you’re not looking at what I'm thinking."

"That’s a general rule of thumb for the Realms, Corey, but as we agreed it’s important for Ranevargar to keep a lookout. We’ll continue with mind talk."

"Do you know how you actually do your mind talking?"

"I haven't got a clue. Ranevargar might."

"You don't yet have the fundamentals or training for a meaningful answer, Corey. Here we are. Rest your back against Gryl's shoulder and present your hand."

The languid rasp of damp tongue against skin gave Corey a tingle of pleasure and, on impulse, he stroked the thick fur ruffing Gryl's neck. Corey's back felt the vibration from a soothing rumble and for several seconds he closed his eyes to savour the sensation.

"You’ve won him over, Corey, and we’re almost ready to begin.

You’ve heard us talking about how Ranevargar and I join our minds and we’re going to do that now. It’s a private ability and we’re going to link it with your special shield so you don't accidentally let it slip."

"You don't quite trust me?"

"I don't even trust myself, Corey. And I know you’re the least likely of any of us to say something. We’re keeping company with powerful, inquisitive minds, which will pick up every unguarded surface thought or comment."

"Hmm! They won't read my mind but they hear my surface thoughts? I’ve got a lot to learn."

"That’s for sure. Are you ready?"

"I’m in your hands, though I don't quite know what for."

Ranevargar took over.

"This is a huge trust you give us, Corey, and we are going to examine your mind for three reasons.

We will study the stresses and tensions preventing your mind from working properly.

We will do any healing we can.

And then we will try to understand why your mind is so special."

"I know my mind’s different. I wouldn't call it special."

"Your achievements and application show that it is. Are you sure you are ready?"

"I think so. Do I need to relax or do anything to help?"

"Nothing at all ... Kieran and I are fully merged and in contact. You will think you have been in a deep sleep."

An extraordinary feeling of peace washed through Corey. He blinked and reacted to Ranevargar’s scrutiny.

"You are more than ready, Corey. We are mostly finished, but before we do we would like to watch you solve some problems."

"I couldn't tell that you’d even started. Did something go wrong?"

"No, no! These are difficult logic problems and they will help us understand how well our efforts have worked."

Corey's interest perked up.

"Fire away. I like solving problems."

Ranevargar related a story of intrigue about related happenings in an Elven court.

"That sounds like it really happened. The adviser with the yellow surcoat altered the report to help his friend."

"Hmm! Let us try something more challenging."

At the end of the third problem Corey hesitated and unconsciously lifted a hand to massage Gryl's neck fur.

"That problem doesn't make sense. Two of the references contradict each other. Are you sure you told it correctly?"

"Very good. Make the farm girl a sister, not a daughter, with an age of twenty-four."

"Then her brother would be the legal titleholder. You said it wrong on purpose?"

"Yes, Corey. We wanted to watch the way your mind recognises and deals with inconsistencies."

"I think I’m good at that."

"You certainly are. We will explain in detail when you wake."

...

"How are you feeling now?"

"I was asleep again?"

"It’s not really sleep. We needed your mind to be fully active. Call it a trance, rather."

"Why are you asking how I’m feeling? Have you stopped watching?"

"No, but I want you to verbalise."

"I’m not sure. Something’s definitely different ... Why are Ranevargar's eyes closed?"

"He’s wrecked. We were on full merge for an hour and a half and it’s harder for the one in control."

"For real? It was two blinks for me. Gryl must be patient. Do you think Michael's talk with the Sea Guardians went well? I wonder if Ranevargar would let me get a laptop? … Kieran, is my mind meant to be racing like this?"

"Wow! It sure is, and that’s good. Ideas will flow in from everywhere and anywhere."

"It’s chaotic."

"Only till you concentrate."

"I like being able to focus properly on one thing at a time."

"You’ll be better than ever. Try it now. Exclude everything else and focus on verbalising your feelings."

Corey quashed thought about Ranevargar’s tiredness, noticing that it was more like putting it on hold. This, in itself, was a new train of thought and also to be put on hold. He shook his head with the realisation that he was now thinking about the way he was thinking.

"Are you sure I still know how to focus?"

"Absolutely! We watched you attack those logic problems with superb focus. Remember."

Click. Instant focus.

"I feel relaxed but at the same time kind of eager to do things. Have you given me more energy?"

"That’s your proper level coming through. Ranevargar cleared internal tensions that were draining you."

"Hmm! Studying my own immediate state of mind is complicated, Kieran. Things like gratitude and wonder and curiosity pile on top of general things like more energy. My body is part of it too. The tactile feedback from Gryl is pure pleasure along with a sense of security. Ask me again tomorrow when I've had time to think about it more. You said that you’ve finished. What did you and Ranevargar actually do?"

"Basically, Ranevargar cleared the cobwebs away and had a closer look at why your mind is so special."

"Ranevargar did it all?"

"I’m clueless compared to him. I’m involved because the merge amplifies his abilities."

"You know less but joining him let's him do more? There have to be other factors at work. How does Ranevargar explain it."

"He doesn't. He says exactly what you just said."

"If you merged with me would my thinking get amplified?"

"Good grief! That’s an amazing idea. I know what Ranevargar does, but I’ve never even thought of trying with anyone else. We’ll see what Ranevargar says."

"Sorry, I took us off track. You were saying you had a close look at my mind?"

"Yep! You’ve got unreal logical intelligence, and Ranevargar’s going to help you train yourself in ways to use it better."

"Mind training? That sounds strange."

"Rhys will stir that it’s being brainwashed, but it’s not. Some of my own training seeped through when Mr B was coaching me for the maths scholarship and I started learning things way faster.

Ranevargar’s totally occupied while the Realm Rulers and the rest of us are here, but when we leave he’s making you and Ban his number one priority."

"Ban? I thought he’s like a guide and companion for while I’m here."

"He is, but Ranevargar’s going to give him a tuneup so he can take over your training if you go to Uirebon’s Realm."

"If? That’s another change. I thought it was definite."

"Ranevargar’s excited to be helping you and you’ll make far better progress under his supervision. A visit to see Uirebon’s main study centre would be really interesting, but that’s up to you."

"I already know I want to see as many things as I can. How long will I be in the Realms?"

"As long as you like. Four or five weeks minimum, but Ranevargar will be monitoring that and he’ll let you know as soon as you’re ready.

Have a quiet time for ten or fifteen minutes, Corey. It was harder for Ranevargar, but I need some recovery time too."

***

The aspect of grassy plain changed to Ocean, islands, and coastline so seamlessly it took a moment to register that the change of location was real and not some virtual reality demonstration.

"See that big island? That’s where we’re going when Maurice gets here."

"Does anyone live here? It looks so wild and isolated."

Ranevargar answered.

"No one apart from the Grove Hosts, Corey. This region is far from the Central Grove and only accessed by Tree Portal. The island is a meeting place for my Sea Guardians."

"How do you get there? It’s a long way off shore."

"From this lookout it is an exhilarating glide with Krol."

"Of course. Does the distance make the Sea Guardians feel isolated?"

"My Guardians are with me at all times, Corey, in much the same way you are linked with Kieran. As you have seen with Gryl and Krol, physical proximity does bring a special shared joy."

"Will our link change when you leave the Realms, Kieran?"

"Probably, but we won't lose it. For some reason it’s easier to link with Maurice than it is with Ranevargar."

"I suspect that is because Maurice is directly connected to your Opal."

"Directly, how does that work?"

Kieran laughed.

"Your mind’s racing again, Corey. We’ll have to explain later because Maurice is here."

***

Glowing with iridescent purple, two dragons circled the elegant spires and launching platforms of the Faerie Castle nestled between craggy cliffs and towering Realm Trees. Shimmering blue auras formed protective wards around the obsidian dragon statues watching from the four corners of a great courtyard where mesmerised crowds watched a dark whirling dervish.

"That is beyond anything I would ever have imagined, Father, and way beyond anything I need."

"Your seat of authority will be an inspiration for all who see it, Kieran, and this is but an impromptu concept. For several years we will present you with ideas for consideration from our greatest Artisans, and when my Gateway Realm is sufficiently restored the construction will begin."

The presentation faded and Corey's eyes swept the gathering to gauge reactions. Yes, Michael shared his awe. Everyone else must be familiar with castles and dragons indistinguishable from the real thing

Ranevargar and Kieran appeared thoughtful. Maurice’s golden eyes glinted inscrutably in the light from the campfire. Uirebon, Lady Narello and the others were showing their appreciation with nods and smiles.

"I wonder what’s next? These campfire meetings are unreal. So many new things happen it’s hard to take it all in."

Corey could only agree with Michael. Hearing about Panthers mock fighting was one thing. Watching eight Panther Guardians battling with playful ferocity was another.

Having a mouthful of huge fangs close playfully on your arm at crazy Rhys's exhortation, seeing the High King of all Faerie shaken effortlessly while he and Tan tried to control Gryl’s lashing tail, was off the scale.

A happy time had followed the rough-and-tumble while Realm Rulers, hosts and friends shared tree food, then Woorawa had danced his Michael and the Orca Guardians story.

"It must be Ranevargar’s council of war. That’s what tonight's meant to be about."

Ranevargar raised a hand.

"Our out of Realm visitors must leave us tomorrow afternoon, and because the time has been so short and eventful, a physical trip to Widder Realm has to give way to more pressing issues. Kieran has asked Maurice to use his most recent memories to take us on a mind tour of the major features.

His constant and evolving stewardship covers the length and breadth of the awakening Realm."

"There can't be much change, Ranevargar. It’s hardly any Realm time since we left."

"The changes are vast but not obvious, Rhys. The water released by Kieran's White Power has allowed Maurice to stimulate the first stages of a Realm wide weather cycle."

"He controls the weather? Do all the Realms lords do that?"

"Not quite, Rhys. It is more accurate to say we can affect the natural balance that flows from the Nexus."

Ranevargar turned to the Loremaster.

"Does that tally with your understanding, Lord Uirebon?"

"The patterns are so benign we rarely interfere, Rhys. The call for energy is great and far outweighs the somewhat uncertain return."

"It worked for Kieran and Maurice."

Uirebon looked to Kieran.

"Don't ask me. Ask Maurice."

"The first storm was a byproduct of my awakening. The others followed the Maker’s prompting."

Ranevargar pressed a hand to dragon skin.

"Yes, Kieran. Your storms resulted from an injection of White Power, with only a temporary interruption to Nexus control. Our process for changing the normal weather cycle uses what we call free Nexus energy. We don't know why but it interferes with the beautiful harmony of the basic Nexus flow."

Rhys interrupted.

"Ban has been researching the Nexus for years. He might be able to find out why."

All eyes turned to Bantellar who almost vehemently shook his head.

"My work looks at properties of the Nexus, Rhys. Knowledge of how it works was lost when the adepts passed."

Ranevargar called a stop.

"Enough! Rhys has taken us down an interesting sidetrack but –"

"Not yet. I think this is important. Kiearan, are the basic flows like the blue flow that went to your Opal?"

"Yes, Corey. What are you thinking?"

"And they are the flows that carry the weather patterns for each realm?"

"Yes?"

"Well, I suspect that you and your father will be able to control those patterns directly. Other things too. You should have that workshop with Uirebon and Ranevargar as soon as possible."

The silence was monumental. Uirebon broke it.

"Lord Kieran, what am I hearing? You can take control of fundamental Nexus patterns?

Surely that is not possible. And what is the workshop your new friend speaks of?"

"Corey's insight astonishes me, and pre-empts a talk we planned for tomorrow morning.

Father, show everyone Tan's oracle moment when we were looking at the Nexus."

Thirty seconds later Uirebon was regarding Tan with renewed wonder.

"You confound us with yet another mystery, quiet one. Do you ever sense a communication with your guiding agency? As Bantellar pointed out, this knowledge was lost with the passing of the adepts."

"I’m the last person to know what goes on, Lord Uirebon. I wake up and everyone’s staring at me."

Uirebon turned to the High King.

"My Lord, I look to any workshop with high expectation and suggest that both Tan and Corey should be involved."

"I agree, Uirebon, but surely it will be a discussion only. A workshop implies action and a gathering in the Nexus chamber."

Kieran and Ranevargar nodded their agreement then stopped when Corey's negative head shake registered.

"What is wrong, Corey? We all agree this discussion is important."

"Of course it is, Lord Ranevargar. You need it before Kieran or his father try anything, but I don't think there’s any need to be in the Nexus chamber. Tan pressed hands against the six sections to impress the patterns and, if I understand right, the patterns are now with them all the time. Kieran explained that they’d clicked in."

"It was more like a lock than a click, Corey. They’re crystal clear but they’re no good without the Nexus."

"I have been thinking about the power flows and everything your father showed us and I am fairly certain you both have direct access wherever you are. Remember how the blue and purple overlays showed your power stone’s connection to the Nexus? ... Try it now."

"Sheba, Kieran. This new Corey’s unbelievable. Even Ranevargar looks gobsmacked."

"Hang on, Rhys, while we test his ideas."

Kieran took out his Opal and invited the Realm Rulers to observe as best they could.

"I think Corey’s right. Tan's new pattern shows the flow into my Opal so I’m going to follow it back to the Nexus."

Agleron took out his Amethyst and a soft purple glow joined Kieran's blue.

"It works. Ranevargar, is it okay if I highlight how the pattern connects to your Pearl? I won't do anything with it."

Green joined purple and blue, Aglaron looked to Uirebon and Lady Narello who both gave assent and presented their suddenly glowing Realm Stones.

Rhys's laugh turned every head

"It looks neat. You should do it to Maynor’s Ruby and give him a panic attack. You can can't you?"

"We can, Rhys, but I suggest not."

Corey watched five Realm Rulers share an intent moment then turn their regard to Ranevargar while he voiced what was clearly a group decision.

"The High King knows Maynor well, Rhys. Even a hint that dominion over his Realm and his Ruby might be further compromised could bring unwelcome reaction."

"Further compromised? He’s got his whole Realm."

"He has the uneasy knowledge that Kieran can take his Ruby on a whim ... Kieran, stay connected but turn off the highlight."

The soft glow surrounding the Opal and the blue tracery leading to the Nexus disappeared.

"Hmm! As I thought. I can follow the normal flow of Nexus power but not the new pattern. Uirebon, Lady Narello, what do you see?"

Uirebon and Lady Narello both looked puzzled and Uirebon answered.

"You see the flow to Kieran's Realm? Without assistance from the High King or Kieran I see nothing at all. The only power flow I am privy to is that from the Nexus to my own Realm."

"I have long had an ability to detect power flows, Uirebon, and association with Kieran has reinvigorated my skills."

Corey watched Uirebon and the High King exchange looks. Interesting. There was a fleeting sense they were seeing Ranevargar with new eyes. The interaction between all these Realm Lords was way more complex than showed on the surface.

"You’re right, Corey, and Ranevargar will explain a lot more when you’re with him. He’s revealed his ability with power flows because it could help with tomorrow's workshop. You’ve started a really amazing discussion but he’s going to close it down now so we can focus on helping Woorawa."

"He is? ... Are you merged with him?"

"Yes, we always are when we’re with other Realm Lords, but it’s a light merge that doesn't wear us out."

"It helps you understand anything that’s happening with them?"

"It does, but it’s more to hide my inexperience. Ranevargar makes me look like I know what I’m doing."

"I don't see the need. Your father is immensely proud, and as far as I can tell, Lady Narello and Uirebon respect you completely."

"They do. The first oracle thing Tan ever did was true speak that from all of them. Ranevargar has told my father to stop highlighting the power flows. We’ll have to talk later."

The Realm Stones lost their glow and everyone turned to the figure resting against Maurice.

"Thank you, Corey. Your insight means tomorrow's workshop will involve far more than discussion.

Kieran asks for our thoughts regarding the imminent clash between Woorawa and his people and the current rulers of the ancient continent. Listen while he conveys his knowledge of relevant events and personalities and then we will make counsel."

A detailed account of every happening and understanding flowed to keen and receptive minds.

"There, you have it. As you can see, the companions are faced with a dangerous opponent, an opponent cunning enough to pit Woorawa against those who claim to rule."

"I know little of the Human Realm, but surely Kieran could face these rulers on Woorawa's behalf? They would submit to the merest hint of the authority he wields."

"The wisdom and law of millennia call for our ways to be kept separate, Lady Narello. What you propose would be too revealing. What do you think, Kieran?"

"I could make it happen but it would smash the way the government works and the whole world would then watch me for ever. I wouldn't do it, though, because it’s Woorawa's place to speak for his people. The elders gave him authority."

Lady Narello understood.

"Yes, I see. That is certainly a more fitting way. Would it be in you to do that, dark child?"

"I would speak for my people, Lady Narello, but not like Kieran. His will is a spear to penetrate. Mine is a wall of stone, strong against onslaught."

Corey shivered when Dragon eyes shimmered and respect radiated from every Realm Lord. Tan grabbed Woorawa's arm in a gesture of personal support.

"The government wouldn't be interested but if they did hear him speak they’d take notice, especially if Auntie was with him."

Uirebon spoke.

"We saw the power of Woorawa's message convince their servants. Is there a way to petition these rulers directly?"

Kieran and Rhys pointed.

"Mr B knows the most."

"Only from my talks with the professor, so it's not really very much. There are so many petitions they’re presented as lists rather than in person. The professor says that unless they represent huge numbers of people the politicians don't take much notice of them."

"I could send a petition with millions of people listed. It would be fake but that would get their attention even more."

"No fakes, Corey ... But how would you make up so many names?"

"I wouldn't, Woorawa. I’d access real names from some of the big government databases. That’s easy."

Kieran laughed at Lady Narello’s puzzled look.

"A database is a store of information, Lady Narello, like a scriptorium, except it can be searched way faster. Corey, I don’t think that’s a good idea. Hacking like that would make your old bosses 100% certain that you were with us."

"Not if I use misdirection."

Ranevargar intervened.

"As Realm Rulers we understand misdirection only too well, Corey, but, as Rhys would say, you have lost us. Are you saying your special knowledge is advanced enough to confound the human rulers and the people who seek to find you?"

"Unless they get serious, our government’s easy. The mining company would be harder, especially if they brought in their world experts, but I do know some very sneaky tricks."

Rhys laughed.

"Join the club, Ranevargar. Tan studies Corey's field of knowledge and Woorawa’s starting, but they’re clueless compared to Corey. He’s a total guru."

Tan added his bit.

"Rhys is right. The international headquarters of the mining company wanted to take Corey overseas when they realised he knew more than anyone on their best team."

Ranevargar raised a restraining hand.

"Corey can help us now with ideas and insight, but he won't be with you when you return to the human world."

"I think we might need him, Ranevargar."

This was unexpected and everyone turned to Mr B.

"I know he needs to work with you and Ban, but could that be postponed for a while?"

"Ideally, Corey should start his training before old patterns have time to re-establish. Delay would mean extra effort to override them but that would be a decision for Corey."

"A bit of extra effort’s nothing."

"I would have advised against the delay, Corey, but the conviction behind Mr B's hunch can't be ignored."

"What? Like Tan's Oracle stuff?"

"Not quite like Tan, Rhys. Mr B was fully aware of what he was saying, but I take heed when the companions speak unexpectedly."

"I don't feel right about Corey coming back with us. From the moment he joined us he’s given every second of his time. His whole life’s been awful and looking after his needs is the least we can do."

Corey was speechless. These people were crazy. They cared for you and really meant it.

Every head was nodding or showing acceptance that Woorawa's words were final.

"Lord Ranevargar, you have had two sessions with young Bantellar since we arrived. How proficient is he with the training you propose for Corey?"

"Well advanced, Lord Uirebon. Why do you ask?"

"If Bantellar was happy to accompany Corey, then everyone's needs would be met."

"Yay! That’s brilliant, Uirebon."

Rhys turned to Ban.

"It’s a big deal, Ban. How would you feel about leaving the Realms?"

"Apprehensive, Rhys, and excited too. But, as Lord Ranevargar just explained, I am not yet ready to help Corey properly."

"Yes. That is a big problem. Can you do anything about it, Ranevargar?"

Ranevargar withdrew and everyone waited quietly for several minutes. Maurice gave a soft rumble and Ranevargar smiled.

"Thank you, Maurice.

Problem solved, Rhys. I have passed the necessary techniques to Maurice and he will work with Bantellar overnight and through tomorrow till he is fully competent to guide Corey. Time is short tomorrow so I will wake Corey early and give him some special time before he leaves."

"Whoo! All night and then tomorrow? Ban will be wrecked."

Corey agreed with Rhys but a glance showed Ban radiating excitement.

"Yes, Rhys, but it is necessary, and with a number of your energy boosts he will cope. Bantellar, relax against Maurice's foreleg and he will take over."

Bantellar positioned himself, smiled at something, then closed his eyes.

"High King, you have said little. Do you have anything to offer?"

"I have many ideas, Lord Ranevargar, but few I would present with confidence. The ways of these human rulers differ too much from our own. From Kieran's briefing and subsequent offerings, I suggest that Woorawa, with support, should contrive to speak directly with them. His authority might be enough to counter those who oppose him. How many rulers are there beyond the three Kieran revealed to us?"

Ranevargar looked to the companions. The companions looked to Mr B.

"Rulers isn't a good way to describe them, High King. They’re more like a council that makes the laws, and there are lots of them, well over a hundred. One is technically in charge but the others can swap him for someone else if they want to."

"Curious. Are there conventions to the choosing of the one in charge?"

"That depends. They might choose a strong person, a person who gets things done, someone who can bring people together, or someone who inspires people with their ideas."

"I see, an ever changing form of challenge requiring particular aspects of authority. Grant the chosen one an audience. When Woorawa guides him to a proper course of action the lesser rulers will follow."

"That’s the tricky bit, Aglaron. If he’s even heard of Woorawa, he’s likely to think he’s some kid from the middle of nowhere who’s stirring up trouble against an important project. He’d regard talking to Woorawa as a waste of time."

"Acquaint him with Woorawa's true standing. Then he will listen."

Corey agreed with the Rhys's exasperated grimace. The High King’s suggestion was strong, but his understanding of how things worked wasn't.

"I agree with the High King, Rhys. These rulers won't be able to ignore Woorawa's message if they hear it directly, so we will make it happen."

"Sheba! You mean the whole Parliament, Ranevargar?"

"Certainly. Woorawa has resources beyond their understanding. His people, his companions, a High Lord of the Realms, and a wizard of human magic at his side, along with the force of his own authority. Take these to the seat of power and he will be heard."

Woorawa went thoughtful.

"You’re right about our resources, Ranevargar, except for my authority. I don't think it will mean much in Canberra."

"Your authority matches the occasion, Woorawa. Staunch and unquestionable with officials, inspiring and inclusive with your people gatherings, evoking respect and awe with the simple presentation of a feather."

"I’m not sure if that’s really me, Ranevargar. I think it’s my elders and my people working through me. Some comes from Tan too, saying I have to follow my conscience."

Aglaron stood, moved close, and touched Woorawa's forehead.

"The High King and the Realm Lords here present, recognise your authority, Dark Child. Assert it with the power of dance and word when the time comes."

At his gesture Lady Narello, Uirebon, Ranevargar and then Kieran bestowed the same touch of recognition. Woorawa smiled, a happy smile, when Tan gave his own touch.

"When we’re in Canberra you should wear your cloak every time we do something. It would be a very distinctive signature for your message."

Kieran took over.

"It’s the authority granted by your people, Woorawa, and Tan is right as usual. I agree with my father and Ranevargar, and I've got some ideas that should help."

Rhys got excited.

"What d’you reckon, Woorawa? Are we going to Canberra?"

"Definitely, Rhys ... What are your ideas, Kieran?"

"If they can come, we’ll take Auntie and the elders with us. Malcolm’s very influential with the government so we’ll get him involved. Then we’ll organise some giant protest meetings where people will marvel at your message and the way you give it.

You’ll be at the centre of everything, Woorawa. We need to get the parliamentarians’ attention fixed on you."

"Will we have time to organise so many things, Kieran?"

"We’ll make it happen, Mr B. We’ll have a week and a day after we get back before the government meets, so we’ll need to get to Canberra as soon as we can."

"Charter a flight and bombard the media with news of the protest that’s coming to Canberra."

Everyone stared at Corey.

"I've got ideas for getting attention too, Kieran. Politicians watch the media like hawks so we’ll bug their eyes out."

"We will?"

"For sure. We’ll contact every media outlet with messages about the desecration of sacred places and send emails with questions and information to every politician."

"The media won't necessarily take any notice, Corey."

"A protest flight heading to confront the government? They love that kind of news ... And it will appear in the online news whether they want it to or not."

Kieran smiled at the elf lords’ puzzlement.

"Corey’s a master in his field of knowledge. Having him with us is going to be really special."

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 6
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oversized mousers playing,  what fun.  Plotting's and intrigues to shake the capital powerhouse, most excellent.  

Again an awesome chapter loaded as always with your convolutions and knotty dealings, thank you and very well done, in my opinion.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

This was a short but influential trip to the realms.  It looks like we are next taking a trip to the Capitol.  A group effort will be needed to coordinate and execute the huge gathering.  What will Morrison, Harris, et al make of the protest?  

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Oh yes, a march on the seat of power; nothing could possibly go wrong with that...  We learned a lot about Corey here and how things in the Realm are tied together; but I think that Corey learned a lot about himself as well.  So, we will have a resident of the Realm returning to our world, how will that work out?

Can't wait to see what happens next...  

  • Love 4
Link to comment

The one problem they face, is that if they become too well known, the scrutiny will get intense and they will have to  be even more discreet in using their powers....

Poor Woorawa, as the face of the protest, the press could well become unbearable.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Dathi said:

Oversized mousers playing,  what fun.  Plotting's and intrigues to shake the capital powerhouse, most excellent.  

Again an awesome chapter loaded as always with your convolutions and knotty dealings, thank you and very well done, in my opinion.

Capital capers, Canberra conniptions, Prime Ministerial protestations - let's hope they're excellent.

Lol - Mighty Mousers, you could say.

:thankyou:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Palantir

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, CincyKris said:

This was a short but influential trip to the realms.  It looks like we are next taking a trip to the Capitol.  A group effort will be needed to coordinate and execute the huge gathering.  What will Morrison, Harris, et al make of the protest?  

Yes, there were curious developments during that brief trip.

I'm sure our mining moguls will be paying close attention - it will be by proxy though as they're in Sydney, not Canberra.

:thumbup:

Edited by Palantir
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Oh yes, a march on the seat of power; nothing could possibly go wrong with that...  We learned a lot about Corey here and how things in the Realm are tied together; but I think that Corey learned a lot about himself as well.  So, we will have a resident of the Realm returning to our world, how will that work out?

Can't wait to see what happens next...  

'Corey was speechless. These people were crazy. They cared for you and really meant it.' - Yes, for the first time in his life Corey is experiencing kindness, care, and a sense of belonging.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

The one problem they face, is that if they become too well known, the scrutiny will get intense and they will have to  be even more discreet in using their powers....

Poor Woorawa, as the face of the protest, the press could well become unbearable.

It certainly will be a problem because the idea behind this kind of protest is to become the centre of attention. - no blue glows floating through the air to share with fellow protesters when the eyes of the media are watching so closely.

Hmm! I'm sure the companions will help Woorawa through whatever - a laugh from Rhys - a gentle supporting touch from Tan - guidance from Kieran.

🖥️

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..