Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 5,739 Words
  • 422 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 15. Chapter 15

WIDDERKIN VOE.

***

Weird. Had he fallen asleep? Whatever it was had worked as he felt so relaxed he was reluctant to open his eyes. A surprise tingle of energy changed that ... He must be dreaming ... One of the subjects was sitting in the passenger seat, smiling softly and radiating friendliness.

"Hello, Brian. I want to say a big thank you for your secret help and to let you know that we would love to help you in return."

Brian? That was his Sydney name. And knowing about this secret help?

"You want to help me? I don't need help."

"We could set you free. You could even be Corey again if you wanted to."

Again? How could he possibly know that? Only his mysterious mining company handler knew his real name.

"I don't know what you’re talking about, and why are you in this car?"

"We came to stop the cameras and the surveillance, but when we discovered how badly you’ve been treated and trapped we decided we’d like to help you."

Eyes couldn't help turning to the phone in his lap and fear leapt at the thought that this conversation was being transmitted. No, the indicator light wasn’t showing.

"Don't worry about the phone. You turned it off before your eyes closed."

Brian stared. This person, Kieran according to the information, must be reading his mind ... No he’d interpreted the glance at the phone.

"Your team is disbanding and the confusion that causes will be a great opportunity for you."

Brian stared even more. The other members of the team had world-class surveillance skills, so how had this kid discovered them? ... And disbanding? He’d been talking to Briggs with a routine update not long ago. A look at the dashboard clock showed that more than an hour had somehow passed.

"I have no idea what you’re talking about. You’re confusing me with someone else."

"Briggs won't answer your next update. He’s abandoned the team and he’s scrambling to leave the country."

He knew Briggs?

Adrenaline surged and, unaccountably, settled. Denial was pointless and, given the facts so clearly stated, quite illogical. How had they found out? There was time missing. Had he been given a truth drug and revealed everything? No. The time was too limited ... Some kind of persuasion? ... A surveillance device in Briggs’ office? That would have been detected with the sweep for bugs ... Abandoned?

"Who are you? I mean how can you say I’ve been abandoned?"

"I will tell you my ways of seeking knowledge when you are relaxed and comfortable, but first we must discuss your immediate options."

After the briefest pause Brian responded.

"You mean your offer to set me free?"

"See how rapidly he sifted the information, Kieran."

"Yes, your bewildered teammates will soon seek contact and information. I suggest you disable your communication device and disappear."

"Device?"

Ranevargar switched Kieran's speech patterns to the fore.

"Your cell phone. I know you can all track each other somehow."

"They know where I’m parked. Can I leave it on while I try to understand what’s happening?"

"Yes. There’s time. They’re heading to the rented office to see why Briggs doesn't answer before they involve you. They regard you as an outsider."

"You’re gathering information while we speak?"

"Of course. We need to watch for anything that might stop us from keeping you safe."

"That’s not really possible. I don't think you understand the resources backing international corporations and how far they’ll go to protect their interests."

"We have his intellectual acceptance, Kieran. Now we build assurance."

"And you don't know our resources. Brian, I want you to check the irregularities in your collarbone."

Brian blinked at the seeming non sequitur then reached to touch the bumpy bone. Puzzlement turned to incredulity, then back to puzzlement, with the realisation that this Kieran was suggesting the smoothness came as a result of one of his resources.

"I feel too awake to be in a dream. Who are you? Am I being deluded by some power of suggestion?"

"You slept while we gave you lasting health. Now you are fully awake but under mild compulsion."

"Compulsion?"

"A temporary sense of confidence, Brian. Your adrenaline levels would be freaking you otherwise."

"I have never heard of resources anything like that. Can you do anything about fingerprints and DNA?"

Ranevargar hastily checked. Kieran understood DNA as a cell pattern unique for every person.

"Fingerprints are easy. Readjusting your body would be more complex."

Ranevargar/Kieran watched a rapid and concentrated train of thought, a reassessing collarbone touch, then a conditional decision to accept the offer of safety.

"How would I disappear? The company will send another team as soon as they possibly can. It’s an imperative to understand how resistance to their project can be so effective."

"We will alter your appearance, and you can stay with us at the cultural centre while we work out other options for you."

"The cultural centre? Are you sure? That’s a primary focus of attention because your indigenous friend spends so much time there."

"With a temporary change of appearance you will be regarded as nothing more than one of our local helpers."

"A disguise won't work against the technology they will employ. Believe me."

"Watch this space, Brian. Your team are out of action and don't know you are here. Return this car to the hire office and the minibus will bring us back here."

"Why the hire office?"

"You will arrange for another car to meet you this evening at the Darwin airport."

***

Woorawa, Tan and Mr B turned to the tent entrance.

"There you are. We’re meant to be meeting the music makers for a practice and we couldn't find you. We couldn't even find the minibus. Did you take Michael on a tour or something?"

Rhys laughed and said, "Yes ... Something."

Woorawa, Tan and Mr B shared a look.

"Okay! That was the evil laugh. What have you been up to this time?"

"Mr B, you’re so suspicious, but yes, we went for a drive and we made mischief, but it was for the mining company."

"You mean the spies? You’ve stopped them watching us?"

"One’s flying home to Europe, one’s heading for Darwin, and the other two are so confused we can forget about them."

Tan gave Mr B a cautioning nudge and carefully glanced at Kieran.

"Should Mr B be talking so openly?"

"He must have sensed that it’s okay, Tan. We have got a surprise."

Kieran turned to the dark skinned person standing quietly behind him and drew him gently to the fore.

"Say hi to Corey, everyone. He’s staying with us for a while."

Before anyone could respond, Rhys butted in.

"And don't talk to him about computers. He thinks screen addiction is the scourge of the age."

Three pairs of eyes took in the startled look, the mouth snap open, then snap shut to cut off an exclamation of denial. Mr B reached for a handshake.

"Rhys is a nutter. Are you staying with us for long?"

"About a week I think. That’s up to Kieran."

Woorawa said some welcoming words, covered his surprise at the blank look they received then, noticing something eager and accepting about Tan’s nod and handshake, sent his own silent query.

"What’s going on, Kieran? Rhys is enjoying this and Tan looks like he knows something."

The equivalent of a mental nod came back while Kieran turned to Corey with a real nod.

"Corey’s the spy team guy from the café. We’re helping him get his own life. We disguised him and we didn't tell you to test how effective it is."

Rhys broke the awkward silence by clapping his delight and gripping Corey's arm.

"See, Corey. They didn't have a clue. This is brilliant."

The three victims recovered and Mr B spoke first.

"Well, what did you expect, Rhys ... Sorry, Corey. Kieran has clearly done something major because someone from the mining company is the last person we’d expect to stay with us."

"Corey didn't tell the company about our gemstone accounts, Mr B. He was secretly on our side and took a big risk to protect us."

"It wasn't too big a risk, Kieran. I had myself covered if they did find out."

"Hi, Corey. I’m Tan, and I hope you have a happy time with us. Does the company know much about us?"

"Thank you, Tan. My brain is overwhelmed with everything that’s happened in the last half hour, so excuse me if I’m a bit dithery. I only know the security side of things which says you’re college friends of Woorawa, who seems to be leading an inexplicably effective protest against their project."

"It is not a seeming, Corey. It’s for real. You’ll see for yourself this afternoon and this evening."

Woorawa chanted, then taking Corey's wrists in a Realm style double hand clasp, gave him a formal Welcome to Country.

"Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed, Corey. That happens just about every day with this lot so you’ll soon get used to it. Are you going to be joining our activities for the rest of the day? Or will you need to stay somewhere quiet?"

"I ... I’m not sure what you mean. Kieran just said I’d see everything."

"I don't know what you mean either, Woorawa."

"You can't make him look like one of our people to the whole showground, Kieran. It would use a huge amount of power."

Rhys laughed.

"It won't take any power, Woorawa. It’s for real. They did it on the way here in the minibus."

"I didn't think you could do that, Kieran."

"I can't, but you’re right about the power. We had to use it to help Corey's hair grow."

"But .."

The puzzled exclamation turned attention to Corey.

"I’m confused again, Kieran. You took my hand to start a change you can't do, and the way you said ‘we’ felt like someone other than Michael or Rhys was involved. And what’s the power Rhys and Woorawa mentioned?"

"How much are we going to tell him, Kieran?"

"Ranevargar says he needs to know everything, Rhys. His mind’s so special he’ll question every detail till he can make sense of it."

"Everything? We’ll be explaining things for ever."

"Make a suggestion and I’ll take it from there."

"Okay."

"Show Corey your Opal and a couple of easy things you can do with it. It’ll have to be quick though because we’ve got so much happening."

Corey's eyes widened when the Opal was revealed.

"That is amazing. Where did you get something so beautiful?"

"Woorawa's people gave it to me and then we discovered it could do things. Watch this."

A soft glow surrounded the opal, strengthened, then detached and floated towards Corey.

"This explains the laser light theory. Is it real? Is it safe?"

The little blue sphere changed colour and became an arrow pointing at Rhys.

"We lost Rhys for a while and the Opal led us to him. Michael, crumple a page from the pad on the trestle and drop it on the grass."

There were smiles all round at the eager rush.

"Michael’s excited because he’s not sure what’s going to happen."

The arrow travelled to touch the scraggly ball of paper which whooshed into flame.

"Step on the ashes, Michael, to make sure the grass doesn't catch."

Michael did that. Everyone else tried to figure Corey's fixed look and total stillness.

"Is he thunderstruck?"

"He’s thinking ... Really hard. Here we go."

"Kieran, I don't understand how this can be possible, but if even a hint of it becomes known you’ll be in terrible danger. Your protections might work against the Company, but there are ruthless agencies which will go to any lengths to locate people of interest, and you say that’s one of the easy things you can do."

"I can't be taken against my will, Corey."

"They’ll find levers of control. What if you’re drugged into compliance? What if your friends are taken?"

"We have thought about this a lot and there are things we can do to keep safe, Corey."

"We’ve mostly talked about how to cope with the Mining company, Kieran. Corey means really serious stuff."

"And he’s right, Rhys. Ranevargar and I found some really bad plans in Briggs's mind that his team didn't know about. We’ll have a big talk when we’ve got time."

"Say something out loud. Corey’s looking at us funny."

"You’re right, Corey. We’ll have what Mr B calls a council of war, and your special knowledge will be really valuable."

"I hope it will, but ... What was just happening between you and Rhys? It looked like you were making decisions."

"Wow! You picked up on that? We definitely need more practice. Explain, Kieran. This is your area."

Kieran agreed with Rhys.

"We were communicating, Corey, but it's a big topic and I’ll introduce you to it properly when we’ve got more time, probably tonight after we’ve got you settled at the centre.

Woorawa’s getting ready for his weekend event and we need to put all our energy into supporting him."

"Hey, let's get Corey playing the didgeridoo."

Corey looked dumbfounded and Woorawa called Rhys a nutcase before reconsidering.

"How about trying some rhythm sticks? That’s less confronting and the guys would teach you the basic patterns. Have you got a good music sense, Corey?"

"Um, I’m mostly listen to classical music but I’ll have a try."

Kieran approved.

"The more you join in with things the more everyone will accept you’re part of our group. Woorawa will introduce you to his uncle and Auntie Arika because they’ll be particularly puzzled about who you are and where you’ve come from."

"That’s an understatement, Kieran. They’ll know he’s not one of their people the moment he speaks."

"He’s under my protection, Mr B. and they’ll accept my authority without the need for lengthy explanations ... Watch everything, Corey, and any one of us will explain enough to keep you going ... Except Michael who only arrived from Phillip Island yesterday and isn't up with everything."

Corey turned to Michael with great interest.

"We noted you for tracing this morning, but hadn't got started. Is Phillip Island a connection of some kind?"

"It’s way over my head, Corey, but I think it must be. These guys made it so I can speak with orcas."

"Orcs? Like crazy goblins? How can I possibly believe that?"

"Not orcs, orcas. Lots of people know them as killer whales."

Corey stared for a moment, turned to Kieran, then, after a glance at Rhys, back to Michael.

"If Rhys had said that it would be to make me laugh, but I think it's out of character for you, Michael, and I feel like you’re serious."

Kieran took over.

"We don't understand it ourselves, Corey, but it’s one of the big explains for later. Right now we need to get moving."

***

"Press the purple button, Madeline. I need to talk to him."

Madeline checked her phone station.

"The line to one of his senator contacts is still active so there’ll be a wait."

"Don't worry, I have express instructions to keep him informed about significant developments."

"Alice Springs?"

"Yes."

She raised an eyebrow, pressed the attention warranted button, then pointed at the nearby coffeemaker.

"Thanks, but no. The one in my office has been working overtime."

A quiet but companionable ten minutes passed before the ready signal glowed.

"Yes?"

"We’ve had a rather disquieting call from Alice Springs, claiming that Briggs and our IT specialist have disappeared. Briggs left a message saying he was returning to Europe and our man appears to be heading for Darwin."

"Appears?"

"He arranged for a hire car to be waiting at the Darwin airport but his name isn’t on the flight manifest."

"There’s no communication or explanation?"

"Apart from Briggs’ out of character message about the need to return, ‘home’, no. The Briggs I watched at the planning sessions had so much force and a drive I’m at a complete loss."

"So am I. What information had they gathered?"

"Briggs wiped everthing, a standard security measure for a compromised operation, and another cause for concern."

"Your thoughts, Harris."

"Leave the scene and focus the security effort here. The best security team our company can employ is rendered useless within twenty-four hours of arrival, and your suspicion that an unknown agency may be involved is strengthening in my mind. One of our competitors, or maybe even a nation-state."

Morrison withdrew and Harris watched quietly for several minutes.

"Food for thought, Harris. Wait till Williams makes contact before bringing the security people back here. You might need their support next Monday when you arrive in Alice Springs."

"Sir?"

"You’ll be a junior functionary with the Department of mines and resources ... Nothing overt, just keep that finely tuned political radar of yours open to any interesting undercurrents. Arrange a pair of clean encrypted phones so we can keep each other informed."

"But-"

"Regard it as a broadening of your experiential repertoire, Harris."

What did that mean? Was he enjoying the sound of his pseudo-jargon, arranging a first-hand feedback situation about the government officials, or setting a personal test? Probably all that and more.

"Benton will wonder what’s going on if our paths cross. We’ve met in person and had numerous phone conversations."

"Hmm! He’s the facilitator so a meeting will be inevitable. No, he’s too astute. He’ll leave it to you to initiate any contact ... And, Harris, I have Brian Williams on a very tight leash and I’m confident we’ll hear from him before long.

I’ll pass the reins when you’re back in the saddle. "

***

"I can't figure him out, Kieran. I know he’s friendly and thankful, but he’s different too."

"We’re all different, Rhys."

"I know but he’s different different. He asked about a thousand questions today, and he’ll do the same tomorrow. I can hear Mr B telling him stuff about Uirebon’s Realm, and before that Michael was explaining how the seal colony works."

"The more he knows about Uirebon’s Realm the better because Ranevargar’s arranging for him to stay there at a healing place."

"I don't understand that. Ranevargar knows more about healing than anyone in the Realms, especially mind healing. Remember what he did for lady Narello?"

"Totally different, Rhys. Her mind was powerful, trained and healthy, and when Maynor’s sneaky network was removed she recovered almost straight away.

When Corey was a kid he was beaten and traumatised for being different. When he was a teen he went through it all again for being widderkin as well as different, and then he was trapped in the security job. Ranevargar says proper healing will need lots of time and attention."

"Why was he trapped with the security stuff?"

"He poured all his energy into computers. Ranevargar says it was like a defence mechanism, and banks and governments all around the world are after him for hacking into their systems."

"Banks? Pinching money?"

"Huge amounts, but then he put it back with a message that they needed to fix their security. It's governments who’ll throw him into jail though. He took secret files, then returned them the same as he did for the banks."

"Jail? That’s dopey! They should pay him to fix their security."

"They don't think like that. At any rate, someone in the Mining company discovered who he was and said if he didn't work for them he’d be handed over."

"Why didn't he just disappear on them? He’s sure smart enough."

"They weren’t nasty to him and he had access to all sorts of fancy technology that challenged him. We’re the first time he felt bad about what he was doing."

"What do you think he’ll do when he comes back from the Realms?"

"That’s up to him, Rhys, but Ranevargar’s hopeful that he’ll want to stay associated."

"Really? We’d have to get a bigger house."

"It’s too soon to worry. If he’s in the Realms for a few months it’ll be nearly a year before he’s back in Melbourne."

"He likes Michael. Maybe he could stay with him or somewhere close.

"Hey, d’you think Michael will still be able to contact the orcas when we transfer to the Realms?" "We haven't got a clue, Rhys, but we’ll be disappointed if he can't ... Mr B’s just told Corey it’s time to get some sleep."

"So?"

"It’s good advice for us too."

***

"Tell everyone to come and watch, Kieran.

Woorawa and I started to show off our new laptop and Corey’s taken over. I thought I knew a lot about computers but I don't."

Tan's call interrupted Kieran's morning check and, leaving Gryl’s proud view of his cub cavorting happily in a mock battle with four others, he nudged Rhys awake and called Mr B and Michael.

"Tan’s excited and he says we all need to see what Corey’s doing."

"Now?"

"Yes, Rhys. Now."

Kieran didn't wait for Rhys because Tan's excitement was overlaid with a kind of awe. A peek at Corey's mind revealed a storm of numbers and strange logic.

Mr B was already there and, so taken by the fingers racing across the keypad, he forgot to make his usual morning greeting. Rhys arrived and, seeing so much group fascination, addressed a personal thought to Kieran.

"What am I missing?"

"It’s gobbledygook to me but it’s important to Tan and Woorawa. He’s making their computer safer.

The lines of esoteric text scrolling up the black framed window disappeared.

"There, I’ve started with three quick firewalls for now, Tan, and I’ll replace them with expert level ones later. Now it’s safe to install some good protection."

"Isn't the one we put on any good? It had the best reviews."

"It’s okay against ordinary malware, but serious players would hardly notice it. You’d have trojans and keyloggers installed if you caught their attention. It’s a good little computer and with a bit more work we’ll make it invisible."

Rhys laughed.

"What’s that supposed to mean? How are we meant to use it if we can't see it?"

Corey twisted to give Rhys a puzzled look and Tan shook his head in disgust.

"You don't have to pretend you’re ignorant, Rhys. Corey means we’ll be safe to use the web."

"Is that a big deal?"

"Of course it is."

Corey looked serious.

"This computer would have told us your location every time it was turned on, Rhys, and I could have watched everything you looked at. It's existence would have led me to Tan's new account and without much effort I could have blocked access or cleared it out."

"Sheba! That is a big deal. It’s scary."

Tan pointed at the laptop.

"That’s why I told Kieran to get you all here. Corey, tell them what would have happened yesterday if Kieran and Ranevargar hadn't intervened."

"We were on a strict watch and gather course, and we’d noted three new and significant points of interest; the new association with Michael, the likely existence of an account at Woorawa’s community bank, and a glimpse of the manager greeting Rhys, Mr B and Michael at the other bank. When I was rotated back to Briggs’ rooms I would have researched Michael's identity and then the details of accounts in any of your names at the two banks."

"And you could have emptied them too?"

"Easily, but I wouldn't have because gathering information was the strict priority."

"I’ve heard enough."

Kieran used authority and there was silence as everyone responded to the demand for attention.

"Whoops! That was a bit strong. It’s only through pure luck we aren't in trouble. The council of war we planned starts in fifteen minutes so get organised and ready for serious thinking."

What with breakfast, showers, and the like, it was twenty minutes before Rhys, hair damp, came rushing with toast and coffee in hand.

"Good. Put your serious thinking hats on and make any suggestions that come to you. It only took a couple of Corey's warnings to show what might happen ... no, I’ll change that to ‘will happen’, if knowledge about us gets out.

We’ve thought about our immediate concerns but we’re practically clueless about broader possibilities and we have to get better.

Corey, you first. You know about the kind of trouble we could face and we need any advice you can give us."

"I’m very good in my field of technology and corporate security, Kieran, and we should start setting up firm protections and a strategy to keep you looking like ordinary college students."

"We are college students, well, except Mr B’s a lecturer."

"Yes, Rhys, but you’re not ordinary. Woorawa needed a studentship to help him through college and suddenly he’s pouring money into the centre. You came through the foster care system and out of nowhere you’ve got money to burn."

"We all have, Corey, and there’ll soon be a huge amount more. Can you do something to protect it?"

"More? What are you talking about, Kieran?"

"Lady Narello is gifting Tan with a pile of special gemstones, Woorawa, and the other High Lords are putting in for the rest of us."

Woorawa grinned at Tan then turned to Corey and Michael.

"Lady Narello wants Tan to visit her Realm. She’s got a soft spot for him."

"Why do you say special, Kieran?"

"They’re two centuries worth of flawless gems Maynor kept sending when her Chaos Masters were learning how to store energy."

"Two centuries? Good grief!"

Kieran acknowledged Mr B then shook his head worriedly.

"It sounds like they might bring us more trouble than they’re worth, Corey."

That was a question rather than a statement.

"You can't have too many resources, Kieran, and I can hide it for you. You’ll be able to access it without your names being associated."

"You can do that?"

"It's one of my specialities, Rhys. When the laptop is safe I’ll set up a whole bunch of secret accounts so all your eggs aren't in the one basket."

Kieran, it’s best to keep alert so I suggest we tap into the airport computers and scan for anyone suspicious. When the company sends new watchers they’ll arrive by air, either a normal passenger service or a private flight."

"You mean to check every person on every flight?"

"Software does the work, Mr B. I have programs in the cloud that I can adapt for the local airport."

"Sheba, Kieran. This guy is unbelievable."

"That’s for sure, and he’s just getting started. Ideas and plans are racing around his mind and he’s excited to be helping us."

"Kieran, we should postpone our council of war till this evening and by then I’ll have a preliminary framework of guidelines we can talk about. I’ve got five or six hours of priority actions I must get sorted before I can focus on it properly. Can you spare Tan for a while? I’d like to show him everything."

Slightly taken aback Kieran looked to Woorawa.

"Tan can stay as long as he likes, Kieran, and I want to watch too. I’ve got a couple of hours before I need to go to the showground.

Why don't you take Michael to the ghost gum? Uncle might go with you and we can all meet at the showground this afternoon. Stop at the Three Caterpillars on the way and tell him their story while he’s looking at the painting."

Mr B was shocked.

"Us? Would that be proper?"

"Of course it would. You’re part of my family, Mr B, and you’ve all heard it at least three times. Rhys is our story person so listen to him."

"Are you crazy, Woorawa? What are you talking about?"

"I know some of my people's stories, Rhys, but you know stories from all over the world. So does Mr B, but you know more. My list of books to read gets bigger every time you have one of your discussions."

"Books? Reading stories is totally different to telling them."

Woorawa turned to Kieran.

"Think of the ideas from all those books banked up in Rhys’s mind, Kieran. We should persuade him to use them. His voice is expressive too. Remember how well he stunned Lady Narello at the High Council?"

Michael and Corey didn't chuckle till they heard the story later. Tan, as usual, backed Woorawa.

"And he automatically used ideas from one of his novels to make it work."

Tan paused, then spoke in a dramatic monotone.

"This feels correct to me. Rhys can become a designated story person."

"Sheba! His voice is funny. Is he in oracle mode?"

"He could be, Rhys. It's hard to tell. You’d better get thinking about the Caterpillar story though."

"What did you just say, Tan?"

"Did I say something? It would probably be about you being a good choice for a storyteller."

Rhys's doubts weren't strong enough to resist the overwhelming consensus of agreement, but he still voiced them.

"Well, I’ll think about it, but I've got a sneaky suspicion I’m being conned."

Tan saw Corey's puzzled look and hurriedly changed the subject.

"What about our phones, Corey? They must need protection too?"

"Absolutely. Don't make any calls till after I’ve worked on them. Today is going to be very busy."

Kieran grinned at Mr B who was shaking his head at the sudden end of the serious council of war.

***

"This is amazing, Michael. I’ve seen video clips and other bits on TV but they’re almost meaningless compared to the real thing. Do you have gatherings like this with your people at Phillip Island?"

"I wish we did. Modern ways have taken over and there’s only one proper elder left, and he’s too old and sick to do anything ... Look at all those ladies. I wonder what they’re going to do?"

It turned out to be singing and, in a departure from the norm, required no musical backing. Woorawa's insistence that Corey try out at the rhythm sticks was a real bonus and tapping the sometimes simple and sometimes surprisingly intricate beat patterns, brought a mix of achievement and happy belonging.

The singing finished to clapping, cheering and various strange calls, and responding to some mysterious signal, didgeridoos and rhythm sticks sounded slowly while twenty or thirty children played some unfathomable game.

Tap! ... This was an easy pattern and when Corey turned to share the moment his heart lurched at Michael's glowing happiness.

A hideous screech brought everything to a halt and the stunned gathering watched Woorawa quietly accept a barrage of remonstration from a wildly gesticulating figure. The diatribe continued till Woorawa reached the presentation area and, removing his feathered cloak, turned to the seemingly hysterical lady. He made a striking little step, waved his arms in stylised imitation, and clearly repeated the words just yelled at him.

Corey expected the strong reaction to this mockery. He didn't expect the sniggers from the people close by. The lady exploded in anger. Her arms waved wildly, her voice rose and her hair fell off. What? The sniggers turned to outright laughter as Woorawa won the tug-of-war for the hairpiece and, accompanied by the Happy Dance, put it on. Ten minutes later Woorawa and the strange lady, really Rhys, were surrounded by children and young people carried away by the Happy Dance. Corey, his sides sore from laughing, found himself standing and joining in.

Corey watched motion and laughter turn to silence when Woorawa donned his cloak and raised his arm.

Corey watched the wafting swirls of a smoke ceremony with growing reverence, while visiting elders acknowledged Woorawa and the gathering, his mind stirred by the tones of language ancient beyond all others.

Corey watched eleven local elders present Woorawa with a magnificent feather to symbolise his protection of the Valley of the Eagles.

Corey's hair stood on end as the feisty old lady called Auntie Arika used words of power and passion to call for unity and purpose. She beckoned to a group of ladies and young people and began the chant which Rhys, for some as yet unexplained reason, called the Tan chant. The curiously compelling rhythm strengthened, the gathering joined in and, caught, so did Corey.

When she beckoned to Woorawa their joining somehow included everyone.

Corey's logic retained enough coherence to recognise a strange overlay of compulsion.

The same coherence puzzled at Tan's approach to Woorawa and Auntie Arika and the slightly incongruous resting of his hands on their shoulders.

Coherence disappeared.

Corey came to himself. The chant was ended and Woorawa, the centre of overwhelming silence, gave a bow of acknowledgement to Auntie and the gathering and gestured with one of his honorary feathers.

Spellbound, Corey flew with Woorawa.

Hunting instinct aroused, he plummeted in prey strike.

With avian ferocity he confronted forces threatening his territory.

Triumphant, he soared in communion with his restored domain.

The dance finished but the rapture lingered and, at one with the awed gathering, Corey watched while Woorawa recovered.

The glow surrounding him softened and, after donning his cloak again, he stepped to the children grouped close, and with soft words of encouragement gave the ceremonial eagle feather to a little boy.

Not sure how, he understood this was a symbol that everyone, from youngest to oldest, was an important part of the protest.

Corey's analytical side started to resurface only to be lost till another Tan chant finished.

Woorawa was surrounded by Burrimul, the elders and his four friends, the didgeridoos began a muted background rhythm, and Corey turned to see his own wonder reflected in Michael's eyes.

"What just happened, Michael? The world I know keeps changing."

Michael shook his head in agreement.

"I know. They said it was a special event but Woorawa was way beyond that. I felt like laughing and crying and cheering all at the same time, and did you lose yourself when Tan went to Woorawa and Auntie Arika? I think that must have been one of his oracle moments that Rhys carries on about."

"Oh my God! Look at Woorawa ... Did you know Rhys was going to be the crazy woman?"

Michael didn't answer. He was too engaged in watching Woorawa join the children crowded round him in a short version of the Happy Dance.

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 6
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So glad that they rescued Corey and doing so may help keep them all safe as well.  But they can only go so far before they get him to the Realms and the real help that he needs.

Morrisson and Harris are hard pressed to understand and adapt to what is happening.  But they will both come out swinging.  Can't wait for Harris to get his first exposure to our group in person.

This just keeps getting better and better.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Their meeting with Corey couldn't have come at a better time, for either Corey or our guys.  They have powers that the bad guys can't comprehend, but the bad guys had knowledge and information that our guys didn't fully understand.  Corey will protect them from the evils of the human world, they will save Corey and cure him from past abuse and hurt.  I sense some attraction between Corey and Michael.

The meeting with Woorawa and his people was magical.  Rhys has a new role.  The team needs a good catch-up training/war council.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

So glad that they rescued Corey and doing so may help keep them all safe as well.  But they can only go so far before they get him to the Realms and the real help that he needs.

Morrisson and Harris are hard pressed to understand and adapt to what is happening.  But they will both come out swinging.  Can't wait for Harris to get his first exposure to our group in person.

This just keeps getting better and better.

'Swinging' - I love that.

Yes, we've had the first intimation  with Harris's orders to be involved in some sort of delegation.

And you're right - a trip to the Realms is growing in importance.

:thankyou:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CincyKris said:

Their meeting with Corey couldn't have come at a better time, for either Corey or our guys.  They have powers that the bad guys can't comprehend, but the bad guys had knowledge and information that our guys didn't fully understand.  Corey will protect them from the evils of the human world, they will save Corey and cure him from past abuse and hurt.  I sense some attraction between Corey and Michael.

The meeting with Woorawa and his people was magical.  Rhys has a new role.  The team needs a good catch-up training/war council.

Yes, Corey is the silver lining from the cloud of surveillance and interference. I'm intrigued by the level of trust implied by Ranevargar's advice for complete openness with him.

Corey and Michael? Hmm! :great:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Corey is becoming an amazing asset!

That's for sure! - and we've only just met him.

Ranevargar clearly sees something and wants to give him more help in the Realms.

🖥️

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The boys are at it again. another new friend with special talents, who I’m sure will come in very handy.

Being the key holder to a lot of mining company and especially the bosses secrets…. It would be a shame if they started leaking out,  it might redirect his attention elsewhere. 😜😃 

  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, mutch71 said:

The boys are at it again. another new friend with special talents, who I’m sure will come in very handy.

Being the key holder to a lot of mining company and especially the bosses secrets…. It would be a shame if they started leaking out,  it might redirect his attention elsewhere. 😜😃 

Yes, - curious. Kieran and talent seem like an electromagnet and iron.

'Bosses' secrets' - lol!  - no comment (spoiler alert) :gikkle:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Clever word scribbler, I saw not this direction in your meanderings.  Another awesome chapter and I am, as always, eagerly awaiting the continuation of this convolution of move and counter move.  Well done and thank you for sharing.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dathi said:

Clever word scribbler, I saw not this direction in your meanderings.  Another awesome chapter and I am, as always, eagerly awaiting the continuation of this convolution of move and counter move.  Well done and thank you for sharing.  

Thanks @Dathi, 🖥️

Lol - I didn't see it either. It was one of those times when a character takes over and introduces a new story element.

Corey actually meant stacks of changes in the way I expected the story to play out, and discarding pages and pages of work on the first version of him.

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..