Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 6,168 Words
  • 302 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 25. Chapter 25

Widderkin VOE.

Chapter 25.

 

"Madam Speaker, before we proceed with the business of the day I request that the Floor acknowledge the august visitors watching from the public gallery."

A murmur of surprise went round the chamber at this departure from convention and the Speaker, caught off guard, leant for a hurried discussion with her adviser.

"Prime Minister, I don't see this as appropriate. We give acknowledgement to visiting heads of government or their representative, but gallery visitors are welcome by default."

"Very well. I personally recognise Elder Burrimul, Elder Balun, and Elder Woorawa. They represent the First People of Central Australia and are here with a contingent of supporting elders. I see this as entirely appropriate."

"Elders? All those folk in cloaks are elders?"

"Yes, Madam Speaker. The cloak is a symbol of the respect they should be given."

"I see ... The floor not only acknowledges our august visitors, we also bid them welcome."

When she rose to her feet every sitting member did the same and followed her formal nod.

"This head of government has surprised the gathering with the signal that Woorawa and his people have his respect. The protagonists are displeased but not particularly concerned. They believe they have the situation well under control."

"Decisions here are made by a vote, Ranevargar, and they have the power and influence to control the way various groups, called factions, make their vote. Rory describes them as powerbrokers and he’s really worried about them."

Ranevargar accessed Kieran's knowledge of Rory.

"I see, he is the trusted and highly capable advisor. I don't sense his presence."

Kieran checked.

"He’s watching everything from an office where he can access information if he needs to."

Ranevargar, seeking a better understanding, augmented his Kieran perception of Rory.

"I don't see much worry, Kieran. I do see a thread of anticipation for a positive outcome though."

"I wonder what it means? It’s a big change from when we saw him yesterday."

"I am going to put myself in a meditative state, Kieran. Several hours of debate translates to a debilitating merge time of eight or nine hours."

"Meditative? I'm not sure what that means. Do I just yell if something major happens?"

"We will remain merged but with you as the driving force. It will be a sustained effort but quite manageable with occasional reinvigoration from Rhys."

"With me in charge? We still haven't practised. Something else always takes priority."

"Use the next few hours for exploration and consolidation."

"I’ll be too focused on Woorawa and what’s happening here to do anything else."

"Not so, Kieran. Direct the capabilities of my mind to that purpose while you explore the potential of your own. You have watched me do that on every occasion we have merged."

"I suppose, but I can't help feeling like Woorawa should be our priority."

"He already is, Kieran. We subjected this gathering to the most extensive probe we have ever conducted and found no sign of real threat or danger, apart from expected levels of negativity and the individual with the watching device. With the unique resources of our merge at your disposal you will easily control anything that needs controlling."

This was typical Ranevargar, and Kieran felt a moment of wry amusement.

"Throwing me to the wolves again?"

With a wisp of agreement Ranevargar's dominant awareness faded and, using the patterns he’d watched with every merge, Kieran took over.

Whoo! With so many possibilities this was almost scary ... What was he meant to do? ... Keep alert of course. Probe everyone all the time make it ongoing and automatic.

Kieran did that ... And the result was so lacklustre he felt like kicking himself. Use the superior breadth and depth of a Ranevargar probe and put that on automatic. He went to ask if that was okay. Silly. Permission was implicit. Watching carefully to make sure he wasn't interfering with the meditation, Kieran set Ranevargar's mind to the job. Information flowed and, astounded, Kieran studied it. How was Ranevargar doing this and, interestingly, why did some of the skills have a sense of recency.

Kieran checked. Wow! Ranevargar and Maurice had merged with a view to improving their understanding of Maynor’s mind manipulations, and these new probe skills were a side-effect of the challenges they’d set each other.

A merge with Maurice? What would it be like sharing or controlling the Dragon's mind? Kieran got excited at the possibilities and then even more excited when he saw Ranevargar's intention to push for this. Well, it wouldn't need much push, but why? ... Ha! Not only would their special link be far less draining, Maurice wasn't so constrained by the different time rates.

Hmm! The Speaker was asking for the new mining bill to be presented.

***

"Madam Speaker, the opportunities flowing from this project are unprecedented. Technology, trade, employment and national wealth generation will all receive a wonderful boost.

National interest demands we accept this proposal. All members have had the opportunity to study our overview, and I urge that the bill be passed in full and without delay.

I hereby table the bill for reading."

An assistant presented a thick document which the speaker regarded with some dismay.

"The bill is tabled. I asked that the house accept this bill as read. If anyone objects please raise your hand."

After a time of formalities the bill was put to the floor.

A solitary hand was now raised.

"Madam Speaker, while I support this bill in principle I can't in conscience vote for it. I ask the house to consider an amendment which prevents the desecration or destruction of sacred or special places."

"The house recognises the Member for Gariwerd. This amendment comes without notice so I presume you wish to take the floor?"

"Thank you, Madam Speaker.

The true situation was only revealed to me when I looked into Friday’s extravagant media beat ups. To my dismay I discovered that while the substance of the proposal stands on its merits, the mining company has been disingenuous with regard to its execution. I have seen evidence that this is, and I quote the media, ‘a con job’."

Kieran/Ranevargar's check on the members’ thoughts was blown away as a large section of the gathering leapt to their feet with yells of derision and objection.

"Order! Order! Members will take their seats."

The speaker waited for quiet then addressed the one person still standing.

"Minister, the member for Gariwerd has the floor. I hope you have a legitimate interjection."

"Madam Speaker, this is an outrage. The Parliament of Australia doesn't change a proposal of such national importance on the strength of a few media beat ups. The member for Gariwerd should stop wasting time and energy and withdraw his amendment."

"Here, here!"

The calls sounded through the chamber.

The Speaker raised a hand for silence then addressed the Member for Gariwerd.

"The mood of the chamber doesn't augur well for this amendment. Do you wish to proceed?"

"Madam Speaker, I completely agree with the Finance Minister that we should not accept media beat ups as a basis for decision-making.

When every media company informed me that their online service had been hacked I suspected an elaborate program of misinformation. Further enquiries led me, though, to an impeccable source with information showing that the media reports are accurate. The company has known from the get go that there is no need to destroy or desecrate any –"

Shouts and yells of objection erupted and the Finance Minister was on his feet again.

"Madam Speaker this amendment is not just an outrage, it has now become a farce.

The Member for Gariwerd bases his proposed amendment on media reports which he himself describes as unauthorised and expects us to accept their veracity simply because some anonymous source says they are. Madam Speaker if the member for Gariwerd doesn't name this mysterious source and let the Chamber decide for itself whether any level of credence is warranted, the amendment should be withdrawn."

"Minister, the Member for Gariwerd has the floor and you have interrupted twice. I must warn you that standing orders require me to take action in the event of a third interruption."

She turned to the Member for Gariwerd.

"The floor is yours again, but I note that the Minister’s objection has substance. I sense the mood of the Chamber and if you don't address this issue of credibility your amendment has no chance of passing."

"Thank you, Madam Speaker.

As the Minister rightly insists, credibility is the essence of this issue, and for that reason I ask leave to present my source in person."

The Speaker frowned.

"That is your right. Leave is granted."

"Thank you, Madam Speaker. I call Malcolm McHendry to the floor."

Stunned silence followed till the Finance Minister again leapt to his feet, yelling with dismay.

"Madam Speaker, I must object. This is not proper."

"Minister, you were cautioned. Can you give cause why I should not ask you to leave the chamber?"

"My apologies, Madam Speaker. I ... My objection is not about the amendment. This is a different matter."

"Granted. Explain your objection."

"Madam Speaker, Malcolm McHendry is a public servant, bound by law to make no comment on government matters."

The Speaker nodded her agreement, then noticed the Member for Gariwerd’s quietly raised hand.

"It is my understanding that the Minister for Finance makes a valid objection. How do you respond?"

"I have a number of responses, Madam Speaker.

First of all, this is not a public comment. This is a comment to the Parliament.

Secondly, this is not comment on a government matter. It is comment on a mining company matter.

Madam Speaker, if you decide the situation compromises either the Minister, or Malcolm as his Head of Department, my third response will be to make an alternative call, a witness without hindrance, who can attest to the validity of the information we all must hear."

The speaker watched while her aide hastily referenced several sections, started discussion, then stopped when she saw the Finance Minister holding three fingers of his hand aloft.

Technically this was a silent form of interjection but it did resolve the awkwardness of a department head and his minister in public contention. Somewhat relieved, she addressed the Member for Gariwerd.

"Clearly you have researched the standing orders and you may proceed with your call. However, since the Minister for Finance is clearly amenable, I advise you to call your alternative witness. I presume this person is not a public servant."

The speaker watched quietly contained features relax and, when a smile appeared, she realised that this outcome was exactly what the member for Gariwerd wanted.

"Hardly!

Madam Speaker, with your leave?"

Curiosity welled, and wondering why McHendry had even been involved, she nodded her assent.

"Madam Speaker, I call the Prime Minister of Australia."

The silence, this time monumental, was broken by cheers from a group of youngsters in the visitors’ gallery.

The Speaker’s admonishing look ended abruptly when one of them stood up, gave a wave and called out.

"Go, dad! You tell them!"

Dad? The attention of the whole chamber shifted to the front bench as the Prime Minister, clearly enjoying the moment, rose to his feet. He returned the wave, put a cautioning finger to his smiling lips, then turned to the Speaker.

"The exuberance of youth."

His smile vanished and his manner strengthened.

"Madam Speaker, the bill before us must and will pass. The opportunities and benefits are unprecedented in scale and scope and must not be wasted.

I do, however, give my support to the member for Gariwerd. Just yesterday I learnt in detail why this amendment is not only appropriate but necessary. My calls to the mining company for clarification went nowhere, presumably because it was the weekend. Further calls to a number of eminent mineralogists revealed that the critical mineral is far from unique to the proposed site.

Evidently there are databases detailing the location and concentration of every mineral imaginable, and we were given seven major alternative sites and dozens of smaller, but still significant, locations.

With so many viable alternatives there is no need to destroy any place with cultural or spiritual significance.

Five department heads went to Central Australia to assess the proposal and develop an appropriate level of government involvement to help facilitate its progress.

I can reveal that, after an extraordinary experience at one of the special places, all five advised that a bill overriding cultural protections would be too shameful to contemplate."

The Prime Minister stopped speaking because the Finance Minister was on his feet, seeking the Speaker’s attention, this time without noise and bluster.

The Speaker followed the Prime Minister's cue.

"Another objection?"

"More a point of clarification, Madam Speaker."

The Speaker’s quick eye took in the Prime Minister's second nod.

"Very well."

"Prime Minister, the member for Gariwerd called you to attest to the reliability of his information, but what you have offered so far is mostly a rehash of the media reports. Can you offer anything of substance? More hearsay is no basis for a proper judgement."

"How this information was retrieved is something of a mystery, Minister, but for my part I have complete confidence in its veracity.

For example, along with a plethora of files and reports, I have a transcript which references, among other things, royalties, minor hindrances, and a particular railroad event. Would you like me to read it to the chamber? It would take some time but it might provide the substance you seek."

In the gallery, Rhys gave Nathan a nudge.

"Wow, Nathan! Your dad’s good. What’s this transcript thing? That finance bloke went from pushy as hell to gobsmacked."

"I don't know. Dad went off with Rory and Malcolm after you left and he didn't come home last night."

Mr B put a finger to his lips and they stopped talking.

The Finance Minister was indeed shocked. The royalty and hindrance references hardly registered but the railroad reference certainly did. The private meeting with Morrison and their conversation had been recorded? Well, that was to be expected, but for some external source to gain access was extraordinary. A quick look revealed an apprehensive looking Mining Minister and an ashen faced Social Services Minister.

The god-damned Prime Minister had thrown down a gauntlet too damaging to face. What to do?

"Madam Speaker, there is no need to waste the chamber’s time.

Prime Minister I accept the substance of your information but, on the grounds of National importance, I remain opposed to the amendment."

The Speaker waited for the general murmur of surprise to subside, and vastly curious about the mysterious transcript, indicated that the Prime Minister had the floor again.

The Prime Minister thanked the Speaker then did his own waiting till a scattered remnant of subdued conversation quietened.

"Honourable Members, forgive me, but this bears repetition. Misinformation and external manipulation must not be allowed to influence the decisions we make. Early this morning the Minister for Science and his advisers confirmed that all the benefits of this wonderful breakthrough can and will accrue without any need for ugly desecration and dispossession. I repeat, all the benefits.

I give my full support to both the bill and the amendment, and I urge all members to do likewise.

By a curious quirk of the situation, a vote for the amendment is a vote to protect this very building. Evidently a large seam of quartz runs beneath us and, under the terms of the bill as it stands, we would have no recourse against a mining claim."

A murmur of surprise, interest, and even a touch of humour hummed around the chamber.

Rhys couldn't contain himself and nudged Nathan again.

"Your dad’s brilliant, Nathan."

Nathan, conscious of Mr B's shushing, put a finger to his lips then gave a happy nod.

Kieran/Ranevargar, responding to the sudden change of atmosphere, checked the gang of three. Interesting. The Social Services Minister was thinking he’d been conned and, though he was locked into voting against the amendment, thought it needed to pass.

The Mining Minister was fraught with anger and thinking of ways to get back at the Prime Minister for interfering.

The Finance Minister, despite being blindsided, was still confident his stronghold on the party factions would get the bill through without any amendment.

Next was a passing check of the guy with the hidden camera. Yes, he was totally clueless about who’d hired him and was simply doing an easy job for a great deal of money.

Forget him? ... Or give whoever was receiving the signal something to think about ... Why not?

"Rhys, see that man with the dark blue jacket sitting at the other end of the gallery?"

"Yep! What about him?"

"He’s filming everything live and Corey thinks it’s going to the mining company."

"Is that bad? They’re getting their butts kicked."

"No, but that's not the point."

"Make him turn it off then. He’s only five meters away."

"That’s not enough."

"Okay! I've got an idea. Watch this."

The Prime Minister, pleased at the change of mood, was about to continue speaking when a flurry of sound and movement in the public gallery caught his eye. Three young people were out of their seats and, clearly agitated, speaking with one of the attendants and pointing at someone.

Nathan?

The whole Chamber, seeing his surprise, followed his gaze, and in the sudden hush, Nathan's voice sounded clear.

"I think he’s a spy! He’s got a camera."

Surprise became shock. Shock became concern and, Chamber protocol forgotten, the Prime Minister's amplified voice thundered in command.

"Security. The public gallery. Now!"

With a great rush of purpose, Nathan and his new friends, along with one bewildered attendant, were surrounded by a protective circle of cloaked elders.

The second attendant, moving with more presence of mind, was shoved so forcefully he fell on his back when the visitor raced for the exit.

When two burly figures appeared the visitor stopped abruptly. Holding his hands in submission meant nothing, and the guards, responding to a priority call and seeing an associate scrambling to his feet, tackled the subject and handcuffed him face down on the floor. Three more guards appeared and several seconds later so did Arthur, the head of security.

"Good! You’ve got him restrained, but why the handcuffs?"

"He attacked Clark and the priority call meant it must be serious."

Arthur looked to Clark, who was rubbing his back.

"What happened?"

"When the Prime Minister yelled for security I moved to intercept him and he knocked me down."

"The Prime Minister made the call?"

Clark pointed to where Nathan was peering over Burrimul’s shoulder.

"His son said this man was a spy."

Arthur's system surged with adrenaline as the import of the situation soaked in. A circle of cloaked First Australians ranged around the wide-eyed son of the Prime Minister in the very heart of Parliament.

Three more guards ran in and Arthur stopped his rush to check Nathan just long enough to have the subject escorted to an interrogation room.

"Nathan, are you all right?"

Nodding furiously, Nathan came from behind the ceremonial barrier.

"Arthur! I'm so glad you’re here. Tell dad I’m okay. He must have thought I was in trouble."

"Give him a wave right now, Nathan, and then we’ll sort out what’s going on."

Nathan rushed to the wooden railings and oblivious to the eerie silence waved vigorously to the figure standing rigid at his podium.

"There’s no danger, dad. The man was spying with a camera."

"Arthur will be the judge of that, and I’ll be with you in a moment.

Madam Speaker, call a break in proceedings while I check with my son. My nerves are too unsettled to proceed."

Without waiting for response the Prime Minister of Australia turned and ran.

 

Kieran/Ranevargar, in the gallery with Woorawa and the now seated elders, watched through Rhys's eyes as Nathan explained how there had been something not right about the man.

"Rhys noticed it first, and Tan and I agreed with him. It wasn't exactly furtive, Arthur, but he kept checking the attendants and adjusting the same place on his chest. That’s when we knew he must be spying with a camera."

Arthur was puzzled. The Prime Minister's son was in good standing with security, somewhat reserved but always polite and cooperative with his minders. This dramatic accusation on such flimsy evidence was out of character and called for careful consideration.

Kieran/Ranevargar intervened and pushed a strong suggestion.

"There was no camera obvious, Nathan. Hang on while I get it checked ... What? Elaborate decals? Any sign of crystalline or shiny surfaces? ... He’s still handcuffed I hope ... Check for some kind of control device ... There is! ... What’s he saying? ... Good! Call the techies while I join you."

Arthur nodded at Nathan.

"Well, I don't know how –"

The door burst open and the Prime Minister rushed to hold Nathan. Nathan was surprised, but made no move to separate from the protective arm across his back and shoulders.

"Everything’s okay, dad. He wasn't after me."

"Well?"

This was no question. This was a full-on demand for explanation.

"Nathan is right, Prime Minister. The subject claims he was paid to film the proceedings for some unknown party, and he appears to be cooperating fully."

"What of the physical altercation in the gallery?"

"He says he panicked, and Clark the attendant, sees it the same way."

"Panicked?"

"It’s not unlikely, Prime Minister. The sudden spying accusation, the elders’ rush to protect Nathan and Woorawa, and your yell for action focusing attention on him would have been daunting. Excuse me, please, but I should be assessing the subject and the situation in person."

"... I can inform the speaker that the situation is contained?"

Arthur nodded then hurried off. The Prime Minister released Nathan after a quick sideways hug, then watched the way he moved close to Tan and Rhys with thoughtful interest.

"Well, you lot must be excitement magnets. The Parliament of Australia is on hold.

Nathan, I must get back to work, but I’d like you to ask Woorawa and the elders to join us in my greeting room when Parliament rises for lunch.

Our strategy appears to be working well and I’m hopeful we’ll have an early resolution."

Nathan looked to Tan.

"Do you think Woorawa and Burrimul would like that, Tan? Dad will make sure there’s food for everyone."

Rhys laughed.

"Good thinking, Nathan. You’ll be pushing your dad out of his job before long."

Tan shook his head.

"Don't take any notice of him, Prime Minister. Woorawa and everyone will love to meet with you at any time."

"Well, the honour’s mine, Tan. Now, I really must go."

***

Almost 300 km away in Sydney, Morrison and Harris turned from a suddenly blank screen.

"How can this be happening."

Harris, just as bewildered, said nothing and watched quietly till the fierce and extended concentration ended.

"Central Australia is finished.

Access the information about those seven alternative locations and scramble for the mining rights where we don't already have them.

Harris, you’re in charge and I want significant progress within nine months for at least three sites, and development plans for all seven ... Take a close look at viability for all those minor sites as well."

"You want me in charge? After all this?"

"This! ... Harris, our every strategy has been outclassed or nullified, and our influence over powerful government ministers rendered inconsequential in a matter of days.

Before that relay closed we heard the Prime Minister give details from files that don’t officially exist and he even had a transcript of our initial conversation with the three ministers."

"That conversation was taped?"

"Of course it was, Harris, and stored where only I could gain access."

"The disappearing guru? Your special team isn't getting anywhere?"

"You know about the special team?"

"By accident, really. I’ve been spending time with security while they work through the turmoil of lost personnel, re-tasking and restarting. The chief let slip that his second in command was too busy to be much help and I looked into why."

"Turmoil? Do we need to replace them with more capable people?"

"I would suggest assistance rather than replacement. The chief says there’s a ghost in the system."

"A ghost?"

"The search for Brian Mackie has them suspecting it’s him, especially since they didn't understand what he was doing most of the time."

"I want him found."

Morrison gestured to the blank screen.

"Harris, do you have any explanation for how the Prime Minister’s son, of all people, discovered our live streaming?"

Harris, sensing this was far more than a direct question, hesitated.

"The camera and it signal were invisible to the current level of Parliament House security.

It shouldn't have been possible."

"Exactly! This indigenous teenager has resources we can't even detect, let alone understand.

Our every strategy has been thwarted or turned against us.

How can an uneducated nobody influence a Prime Minister to change the course of Parliament?"

The whirl of ideas for implementing multiple mining projects ended abruptly and Harris stared.

"You will be under pressure while I'm away at headquarters discussing our situation.

Along with fast tracking the alternative sites, I am tasking you with assuring the Mparntwe elders that we now regard their lands as sacrosanct."

"What if the amendment fails?"

"Then something else will stop us.

Harris, I shudder to think what could happen if this nemesis took its gloves off."

***

Kieran called Ranevargar to full awareness.

"Take charge, please, Ranevargar. The talking’s almost finished and I need your judgement on where we stand."

Control swapped seamlessly and Kieran watched with new understanding as Ranevargar brought himself up to date.

"Hmm! Nathan's father has fought with skill and heart for Woorawa and his people. Let us examine the council's intentions."

Kieran knew how to probe the general mood of groups of people, but the process that now began was something new ... No, not completely. The structure, somewhat similar to Maurice's mind net with the ravens but far more sophisticated, grew then reached to study particular minds.

"Gods, Ranevargar! That’s unreal!"

"It is the most efficient way I know for seeking specific information from multiple minds, Kieran. With time and practice the skill will be yours."

Results were arriving so questions would have to wait. Eighty-four votes was a definite pass for the amendment. Kieran's relief was tinged with disappointment.

"It’s great, Ranevargar, but I thought it would be better."

"So did I. Let us look again."

The mind net probed with new parameters.

"We were right, Kieran. Another fifty-four believe the amendment should pass, but are constrained by other directives."

"The directives come from the gang of three, Ranevargar. They’re those three."

The merge focused and Kieran gave a mental laugh.

"Wow! They’re way more stirred than last time I looked. The spokesman is the one to watch. He’s still confident but wondering what Nathan's father’s final ploy will be. Ploy?"

Vastly curious, the merge refocused and was instantly suffused with admiration.

"This ruler is formidable, Kieran. His opponents have discounted the fire and determination he is capable of. He prepares himself. Watch."

 

"The Prime Minister has the floor."

"Thank you, Madam Speaker.

We have debated at length and, with the intent of the amendment now so clear in your minds we are ready to make our decision."

Somewhat surprised, the Speaker looked to the Prime Minister.

"Immediately, Prime Minister? Without a summation?"

"Yes, Madam Speaker, but with a change to our normal procedure.

This amendment is a voice from the conscience of our nation and above the cut and thrust of party politics.

To that end I use Prime Ministerial prerogative to lift our Parliamentary voice to the same level. I proclaim a conscience vote.

Members, you are absolved from party affiliations or other directives and you are free to vote as you believe is right. This will be a secret ballot."

The hush of the startled chamber broke when the member for Gariwerd leapt to his feet, began clapping, smiled when the person next to him joined in, then as the applause became general nodded happily to the visitors gallery.

Tan touched Nathan's arm.

"They’re clapping your dad because he’s doing a good thing. You must be proud of him."

"I wish mum was here. She worries because he works too hard, and this would show her why it’s worth it."

Kieran shared Ranevargar's wash of admiration.

"You keep meeting special people, Kieran. Nathan is a turmoil of happiness and excitement, all mixed with pride for his father, guilt that he thought his father didn't understand him, and wonder at the glow of your opal."

"Tan sensed something about him first and in a couple of minutes they were friends."

"Keep him updated with Rom’s condition, Kieran."

"Updated?"

"Rom is in your opal net. We will do it through Tan."

Tan smiled and turned to Nathan.

"Kieran says Rom is sound asleep after gobbling half the food you left for him."

"Kieran knows? from here?"

"He knows from anywhere. It’s a thing with his Opal."

"Is that why it’s been glowing most of the morning?"

"It has? No, that must be something else."

Nathan glanced at Kieran then followed Tan's attention to movement at the Speaker's podium.

"That was a directed thank you, Kieran. Nathan subconsciously suspects you know what’s on his mind."

Kieran laughed.

"Ranevargar, you’re more interested in Nathan than the vote."

"The ploy was masterful, Kieran, and presented with passion and spirit which resonated with almost all who heard it. The vote is now a given."

"Ring the bells!"

"What does that mean?"

Tan looked to Mr B but Nathan answered.

"It’s a warning signal when a vote is about to happen. Dad’s told us funny stories about people who haven't been ready. What –"

Nathan stopped because Woorawa stood up and called something which brought Burrimul and the elders to their feet.

The friends all followed and Woorawa spoke in a soft voice.

"It’s a sign that our attention is on them while they make this decision which is so important to us."

"Why don't we stand at the railing in a big line? We’ll stand out more."

Woorawa's special smile lit up.

"Good thinking, Nathan. I’m glad you’re with us today."

"Cultivate your association with this one, Kieran. He instinctively knew how to make the vigil more effective."

The Speaker looked up, watched the observers form a line along the balcony railing, and gave a measured nod of acknowledgement.

The conscience vote began.

***

The happy smiles of elders and friends lifted another notch when Nathan rushed to give his father an exuberant hug.

"Woorawa and everyone think you’re wonderful, dad. We were worried about the greedy ones but you walked all over them."

"Thank Rory and Malcolm for that. They worked all night to make sure I was on top of everything."

Woorawa approached

"We don't know how you did it, Prime Minister. The numbers were completely against us till you intervened. The elders of Mparntwe acknowledge you as a brother and offer open welcome to your family and friends."

"Thank you, Woorawa. A family visit to Mparntwe is at the top of my list and I’m wondering if a few days after the Christmas break and before the New Year would be a suitable time."

Woorawa got instant nods from Burrimul and his friends.

"Wonderful! Would you like to stay at our cultural centre? You’d be most welcome."

"No way!"

That was Rhys and Woorawa laughed.

"This will be one of Rhys's wacky ideas."

"Not wacky! There’ll be a special ceremony at the Valley of the Eagles so why don't we all camp there? That will make it special for all of us."

Nathan grabbed his father's arm.

"Dad! Camping with Eagles. Think how much mum would love that."

"So would I, but I doubt that camping in such a special place would be appropriate."

Rhys grimaced and smacked the side of his head.

"Whoops! Sorry Burrimul. I didn't think of that."

"On the contrary, Rhys. Staying overnight would be a fitting way to know the spirit of the place the Prime Minister has just battled to protect. When you say family visit, Prime Minister, does that mean you would prefer a low key and private occasion?"

"As much as possible, Burrimul. Gwen likes family time to be just that."

Nathan piped up.

"Arthur has to come with us, but we’re used to that."

Burrimul gave a questioning look.

"Arthur is head of my security. I’m not allowed to go anywhere without him."

"Arthur will fit in, Burrimul. He talked with Nathan and me about the camera guy and he’s got a nice manner."

Burrimul nodded as if Rhys's comment meant Arthur was now fully welcome.

"We’ll need Winky to guide us in, but otherwise we’ll keep this very private."

"We’re going for sure? Who’s Winky? Will I have my own tent?"

Everyone smiled.

"Steady, Nathan. We’re the guests so we’ll fit in with whatever arrangements our hosts make."

"There are Bunyips in all the waterholes so you’d better stick close to me."

"Really? Don't worry, Rhys. We’ll carry some gum leaves and the eucalyptus will drive them away."

Rhys stared.

"Where did that come from, Kieran? Has he read it somewhere?"

Kieran/Ranevargar, wondering the same thing, had a quick peek.

"He’s onto you, Rhys. He made it up on the spot to turn your trick back on you."

"Made up? That quickly? Wow! ... And why is his dad nodding?"

That needed another quick check.

"He knows that you’re making Nathan feel welcome and he’s especially pleased that Nathan knows that too."

"Only leaves from ghost gums work, Nathan. And if you pick them you get haunted all night."

Woorawa interrupted.

"Don't encourage him, Nathan. He won't stop.

There’s no road to the Valley of the Eagles and Winky is a Park Ranger who knows how to get there in four-wheel-drive vehicles."

"No roads?"

"The driving is an adventure in its own right, Prime Minister. Winky has a story about every feature you pass or manoeuvre your way through."

Burrimul nodded.

"Malcolm is right. Winky has been part of that country all his life."

"You got to watch him though. He drives that four-wheel-drive like a maniac and we’ll have to make sure Nathan is buckled in tight."

"I’ll sit next to Tan, Rhys. Then I’ll know what’s really going on."

***

Canberra dwindled below as the chartered plane climbed and set course for Mparntwe and, for most of the jubilant passengers, home.

Kieran's pleasure at the happy buzz of surface thoughts was interrupted by a gentle nudge, and he turned to regard Woorawa's bright eyes and signature smile. Woorawa - Blind Boy, Dream Walker, elder, Dancing Boy and mystery.

"We followed our heart, Kieran, and saved the Valley. I can hardly believe it’s happened."

"I can. Tan told you to, and you led the way."

"Sort of, with everyone else's help. I was pretty scared when your father told me to speak to the Prime Minister. Did you expect that to work so well?"

"None of us did. He practically made you and Tan part of his family and he’s coming to visit."

"It’s funny isn't it? You think the Prime Minister of Australia’s different from everyone else, but underneath he’s a friendly, nice guy."

"I know someone like that. He inspires his friends and his people but underneath he’s the friendliest, nicest guy you’d ever meet."

Woorawa changed the subject.

"I wish Michael could come to Mparntwe for Christmas. We haven't seen him since we left the Realms."

"He’ll be with his mum as much as he can, and he’s got too many other things happening. Christmas is crazy busy with penguin visitors and Mandy wants him for every extra shift he can manage. Corey’s helped him negotiate early possession of the hobby farms too, and that’s happening a couple of days after Christmas."

"Really? No one told me that. When are we going to see them?"

"Mr B and Corey want it to be as soon as possible, and Tan’s suggesting soon after New Year because evidently that’s a good time for Nathan."

"Ranevargar was keen to get Michael's plant samples too, so that means a trip to the Realms."

"We’ve got over two months before semester starts, Woorawa. That will be plenty of time for two Realm visits as well as getting ourselves organised for college."

"College! I've hardly even thought about it. After the last few months it’s so ordinary it might feel weird."

Kieran clicked to what Woorawa meant and laughed.

"Well I can't see anything too unordinary happening, so we should be used to ordinary by then."

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a great wrap-up!  The Prime Minister was masterful. The call for a secret conscience vote was inspired.  

Thanks!

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Finis! Complete!!!! Obscene word no author should ever be permitted to use!  However the consolation is the knowledge that the follow on is under way so all is not despair and destitution, but only just!

Thank you again for sharing this wonderful tale and I appreciate your wonderful word smithery that inspires my imagination.  Building believable characters and events is a serious task and I feel you manage this credibly well.  May your inspiration flow ceaselessly and incessantly from your fingers and active imagination thusly beguiling and delighting us avid readers with further and future tales of epic deeds and awesome adventures.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
Palantir

Posted (edited)

On 5/4/2024 at 12:52 AM, Daddydavek said:

What a great wrap-up!  The Prime Minister was masterful. The call for a secret conscience vote was inspired.  

Thanks!

I was trying to think of some special kind of clever trick for ages and then the conscience vote came to mind. We actually do have it in the Australian parliament, though I haven't a clue how it really works. Lol - author's licence is very handy.

:thankyou:

Edited by Palantir
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, George Richard said:

A great story!  I’m sorry it’s ending but look forward to what comes next.

What's next? Singing orcas, yabby races, power eyes and who knows what else.

I'm delighted to know you enjoyed the story. :thankyou:

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Dathi said:

Finis! Complete!!!! Obscene word no author should ever be permitted to use!  However the consolation is the knowledge that the follow on is under way so all is not despair and destitution, but only just!

Thank you again for sharing this wonderful tale and I appreciate your wonderful word smithery that inspires my imagination.  Building believable characters and events is a serious task and I feel you manage this credibly well.  May your inspiration flow ceaselessly and incessantly from your fingers and active imagination thusly beguiling and delighting us avid readers with further and future tales of epic deeds and awesome adventures.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :*)

Yes, there are major surprises  to turn the friends on their heads.🤐

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

The PM did a masterful job; but the victory was really Woorawa and the men.  Their passion to protect was needs to be preserved is beyond commendable.  Nathan is a joy to be around, and I hope he gets to visit the penguins.  

The men have a job to do; but they also need to focus of getting themselves ready for future in all the many forms that may take.

I personally can't wait until the new story post.  What a wonderful job you did with this one; and can't wait to see what you do with the next one.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

The PM did a masterful job; but the victory was really Woorawa and the men.  Their passion to protect was needs to be preserved is beyond commendable.  Nathan is a joy to be around, and I hope he gets to visit the penguins.  

The men have a job to do; but they also need to focus of getting themselves ready for future in all the many forms that may take.

I personally can't wait until the new story post.  What a wonderful job you did with this one; and can't wait to see what you do with the next one.

You're right of course - The PM's efforts really resulted from the inspiration of Woorawa and friends impacting on his personal as well as his political life.

Yep! - Nathan gets to visit the penguins in the near future. 🐧

'getting themselves ready'  - Kieran's expectation of getting used to 'ordinary' times is a misconception of epic proportions.:facepalm:

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you for this satisfying ending (for now).  Our boys certainly influenced the results, but for all anyone in power can tell, it was all done naturally.  Making the vote one of conscience allowed the members to decide for themselves, which is always the best way to make changes and keep the members engaged.  I look forward greatly to new adventures!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..