Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 6,432 Words
  • 739 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 2. Chapter 2

Widderkin VOE.

Chapter 2.

Next morning the minibus pulled up behind an old ute where five or six people were gathered, listening to directions from Auntie Arika, and Burrimul turned to the friends with a big smile.

"Auntie Arika enjoys organising so she’s running the protest tent. She might act like a general with all her orders but just go along with them and let me know if there’s anything important."

Woorawa led the way and, after an onslaught of hugs and excitement when Auntie Arika and her attendants surrounded him, turned to make introductions.

"We didn't have time for a proper talk last night, Auntie Arika, but these are my special friends who are going to help us. We-"

Auntie Arika's voice called a pronouncement of some kind, loud and clear, across the park while her palm rested briefly against his forehead. She looked to Woorawa then, receiving Tan's name, used it in another clear pronouncement. Mr B, Rhys and Kieran received the same treatment then waited quietly, wondering what would happen next.

"Good! You young ones unload the trestle tables and set up the banner and the flags while we pitch the tent ... And you, big cheeky fella, collect my coffee thermos from the front of the ute."

Rhys suppressed his grin and nodded agreeably.

"Sheba! Burrimul was right, Kieran. She’s a bit of a dragon lady."

"A good one, Rhys. Look how the helpers are all smiling, and she’s clever too. She’s expecting you to give her a hard time."

"She is? I don't know if I’m game. I think she’s already made me her errand boy."

The next twenty minutes was a bustle of orchestrated activity and when the tent, quite a large one, was ready before the five friends finished hammering support poles and attaching banners and flags, Kieran sensed a practised routine.

They finished setting up trestle tables for the inside of the tent next, and were waiting while Auntie Arika spoke rapidly into her cell phone when a sleek white vehicle pulled in behind the minibus. A smartly dressed lady climbed out and, clearly taking in every detail, approached the tent entrance.

"This looks far more interesting and purposeful than a picnic day in the park. Has the Council done something upsetting?"

From the general focus of attention while Auntie Arika finished a few words and slipped her phone into a big carry bag, the lady understood this was a spokesperson situation and Kieran saw her interest level increase. Auntie Arika said a single word in her language, which Woorawa explained later meant ‘Welcome’, then pointed rather emphatically at the powerful symbol of sun, skin and sadness on the banner.

"The elders call our people to protect our sacred places from desecration, and this protest is the first whisper in our song against the storm."

The lady was clearly taken aback.

"Desecration? That can't be right. The Council understands the importance of Sacred Places and assists with their preservation."

She paused and a frown developed.

"You mean the new mining proposal?"

Woorawa stepped next to Auntie Arika.

"Whole areas of our country, including many Sacred Places will be taken."

The lady looked puzzled.

"Are you sure? There are legal safeguards and planning regulations to stop that sort of thing."

Auntie Arika looked to Woorawa for an answer.

"We’re 100% sure. One of the regulations let's us access the plans for any project that affects us, and my uncle's friend studied them carefully."

The frown, even stronger, appeared again.

"This is news to me and I’m a Council member. Mining is primarily a state government jurisdiction and there has only been mention of the many benefits."

She paused and looked at the serious faces.

"I hope this is a misunderstanding ... But all the best for your protest if it’s not."

Auntie Arika called another word as the lady moved to her car.

"Auntie Arika said thank you, Kieran. We’ll do it for everyone who shows support."

The car pulled away and the group watched it make a U-turn then drive down an alley between the Council buildings. Woorawa turned.

"It’s started, Auntie Arika. Do you think it will take long for the next reaction?"

"She is a nice lady, Woorawa, and their beehive will hum with the news of disruption. Have you seen the plans you spoke of??"

"No, but Uncle Burrimul has."

Rhys pointed across the street.

"Look! The hive’s already humming."

Five or six people were watching from the main entrance and figures appeared in several windows.

"Can you sense if they’re angry, Kieran?"

Kieran keyed to the people he could see with a light touch.

"Just ordinary curiosity with the ones I can see, Woorawa."

"What about inside?"

"That's hard. Ranevargar hasn't taught me how to read people I’ve never seen."

"You must be able to do something. As soon as you learnt the pattern for one tortoise the rest of them responded."

"A general call is like sending thoughts rather than receiving them ... I’ve never tried one with people."

"Yes you have. You call us all the time, for meals or talks or whatever."

"That’s not general."

"I suppose not. Whoo! Imagine if you called and every person in range came running? That’s a new thing you could practice."

"You’re a hard taskmaster, Woorawa."

"Don't you mean slave driver?"

Their shared chuckle and smiles brought quizzical looks from all round and Kieran automatically responded to Rhys's raised eyebrows.

"Woorawa called himself a slave driver."

The puzzlement increased when Mr B, Tan and Rhys also registered their understanding.

"No he didn't. He hasn't spoken since he mentioned the plans."

"We’re on the same wavelength, Auntie Arika. It’s a bit of a joke we share."

Woorawa's answer was quick and reasonable but a sharp frown showed she didn't fully accept it, and Kieran realised they’d have to work out some kind of strategy or etiquette for mind talking in public places.

Burrimul interrupted and pointed across the road.

"The watchers have gone inside, Auntie Arika. I wonder if we’ll get a response?"

"We will. The friendly lady is spreading the word."

A rather dilapidated four-wheel-drive Toyota arrived with more people, a pile of stackable chairs and several boxes of protest material which Mr B immediately started to examine. Woorawa had quite a lively catch up with two of the younger helpers, and while that was happening Auntie Arika turned all her attention to Tan.

"How did you come to know our little blind boy, Ton? The stories tell me you weren’t here for the special meeting."

"It’s Tan. Like the color. Some people mix up my name when they first hear because it’s unusual for them, but it’s easy really."

"Tan! ... Tan?"

She repeated it twice while watching for Tan’s approval.

"I met because I have the honor of sharing a house with Kieran and Rhys. When Woorawa arrived he brought us all together with his special ways and friendly nature."

"Special ways like last night's chant?"

Tan glanced at Kieran.

"Tell her whatever you like, Tan. She’s already part of it."

Tan nodded and went into explanation mode.

"Make sure you come to his welcome home celebration tonight, and then you will see Woorawa's biggest special thing. He’s special at chants too, but the one you shared with him last night came from me. Sometimes I do strange things, which is very confusing because I'm never aware of what's happening ... Woorawa says I put your hand in his and the chant came bubbling up from both of you. Do you remember?"

Auntie Arika showed complete amazement.

"I sang a waking dream, Tan, a dream I will never forget ... It came from you?"

"Yes, Woorawa learnt most of his chants from Burrimul but this was new to both of them."

Woorawa and Burrimul nodded and Kieran took up the conversation.

"One of our mentors thinks Tan has a gift which can influence what happens at important times, Auntie. He calls them pivotal moments and without them we wouldn't have got home for months and months."

"I don't understand. You mean Woorawa's home here? And apart from the distance, what could stop you travelling from your home in the city?"

Kieran was gathering his wits for a reasonable answer when Burrimul released a torrent of speech in his language.

Auntie Arika jolted erect as she fired questions back.

"Uncle’s telling her the five of us were taken on a dream journey and she’s finding it hard to believe."

"A dream journey, Woorawa? It was real."

Woorawa listened to more of Burrimul's discourse before answering.

"Uncle’s saying stuff I've never heard. There are old stories about dream journeys and he reminded Auntie Arika about one in particular, where an elder described living in a wondrous place for many seasons before returning to his people with tales of people with strange abilities."

Auntie Arika suddenly turned an intense stare on Tan.

"She just asked Uncle if Tan is one of those people."

Rhys, Mr B and particularly Tan were looking left out.

"Hey, everyone. Burrimul’s just described our time in the Realms as a dream journey and Auntie Arika asked him if Tan comes from there ... I’m going to back him up without going to any detail ... and we’ll have to have a really big powwow about how we act now that we’re not in the Realms."

"Auntie Arika, Tan comes from Melbourne, the same as Rhys, and we look on the things he can do as a special gift, the same as your storytelling is a gift. Uncle Burrimul’s explanation of a dream journey is close enough to accept ... Look at Tan."

Wonder took Auntie Arika when a Coarser appeared on Tan's shoulder. The Coarser, along with a strong sense of privacy, existed in her mind only.

"Now look at me and tell me when to stop."

This was said with a tinge of command and when Auntie Arika’s regard was fixed, Kieran pushed gently with the Medusa look. Interesting! She had more natural resistance than either Burrimul or Woorawa before he practised. A touch more pressure stopped abruptly when it brought a horrified look and warding hands.

"What?.."

"Burrimul showed me how to control that, Auntie Arika. I know there’s a lot to take in but you can accept anything he tells you about us."

There was a drawn out silence as one by one she studied the friends with new eyes.

"... Who are you?"

There was a deeper tone of ‘what are you’ to the straightforward question and, somehow aware of her need, Kieran strengthened his answer with a sense of assurance.

"Woorawa is our special friend, Auntie, and we’re here for him. Without his help our dream journey would have failed."

There was another big silence, compounded by the attention of all the helpers.

"A dream journey in our time!"

She looked to Burrimul. Good. She’d received the message that he’d be her source for information.

One of the helpers pointed and all attention shifted to a group of people checking to see if the traffic was clear before crossing from the other side of the road.

Rhys laughed.

"It didn't take long for that reaction. The friendly lady must be a real stirrer."

It was indeed the friendly lady, flanked by three men, and all of them looking rather purposeful. One was holding an official looking binder and another was brandishing a long cardboard tube.

"And it looks like they mean business."

Mr B was right and after quick introductions a trestle top was cleared. A twist of fingers in the tube released a large map which was then flattened for view.

"I’m afraid your interpretation of the proposal is correct, Woorawa. With only a hurried check we have already found three protected locations threatened directly, and several others threatened by access restrictions. Our planning people were initially excited about the proposal but the synoptic overview explaining the documentation was all about the local and wider benefits. There was no mention of any impact on your Special Places but it’s here in black and white. We entertained the possibility of outsider ignorance but quickly discarded that when Brent studied the presentation map."

"Gods! She’s as bad as Ranevargar with the dictionary talk."

"Yes, but shoosh up, Rhys. This is important."

"Show them what you found, Brent."

Brent, who Kieran presumed was one of the planning people, pointed to three lightly shaded areas on the map, then looked to Woorawa with concern.

"This shading represents areas with the highest priority for open cut mining, and these two are clearly labelled as protected places."

He traced his finger across the map.

"This one is even more concerning as it’s a designated Sacred Site and shouldn’t have even been considered."

The friendly lady took over.

"This is very bad news because the fact that this is a presentation map means key decision-makers must know they’re overriding our local regulations. We’re calling an open Council Meeting next week with a view to making a formal objection, Woorawa, and we hope you’ll be the voice for your people."

Kieran, surprised by her automatic choice, watched Auntie and Burrimul accede to Woorawa's questioning look.

"That would be a wonderful opportunity, but I have to be in Melbourne next week with my friends. Would it be hard to change your meeting to the week after?"

"We can call it for any Wednesday that suits."

Woorawa turned to Mr B.

"Do we know which day we’re coming back, Mr B?"

"It’s still open, Woorawa, but College officially closes next Thursday afternoon, so we could make it by Friday or the weekend."

Woorawa turned back.

"The Wednesday works well then, or even Monday or Tuesday."

"Wednesday is best."

All her companions nodded assent.

"Would you like me to query why our regulations have been overridden without proper consultation? It’s unlikely to change anything but if I mention the strength of your protest it should get a reaction."

The big smile that Rhys was always stirring about burst into view.

"That’s very kind, and my name is Woorawa."

The lady understood.

"Mine is Rhonda, and I am the Council Secretary."

Brent, standing next to her, brandished the empty cardboard roll like a club.

"And the Mayor and the rest of us take notice when she goes on the war path."

Woorawa's smile flashed even stronger and he said the same word Auntie had guested the friends with.

"That’s a special word of Welcome, Rhonda, and I give it on behalf of Auntie Arika and Uncle Burrimul, elders of our people, and all the rest of us here."

His expression transformed.

"You can tell the desecrators they face far more than angry protest. They will be Unwelcome in our Country."

Jaws dropped. Kieran felt his own drop at Woorawa's authority and conviction.

"Holy cow! Did you do something, Kieran? He sounded like you did when you put Maynor in his place."

"It was all Woorawa, Rhys. I even looked to see if Tan was involved but he’s as amazed as everyone."

Woorawa, seeing the stunned reaction, relaxed and became himself again.

"Whoo! My feelings took over. I'm sorry, Rhonda. I didn't mean to freak you out."

"Well, you certainly startled us, but please don't apologise for conviction ... Woorawa, when you said ‘Unwelcome’ is that a spiritual or a physical term?"

Woorawa looked to Burrimul and Auntie again before answering.

"We will know after our people gather, Rhonda, but if they listen to me it will be both. Auntie will be here every day and she’ll be happy to keep you updated."

Auntie nodded forcefully and repeated the welcome word.

"Our voices will join against the storm."

Rhonda acknowledged her, wished everyone good luck, then, while Brent stored the map, grabbed several old protest pamphlets from the nearby trestle table and headed off. Interestingly, no one watched the departure. Instead, every bit of attention was on Woorawa.

"... What? Why are you all staring? Have I turned green or something?"

He sounded like normal Woorawa and with Rhys’s snort of laughter, smiles and movement returned.

"Gods! If you’d turned into the frog it would’ve been less dramatic. You sounded like Moses pronouncing the ten Commandments."

"Was I too bossy?"

"No way! It was unreal, as long as Burrimul and Auntie don't feel like you’re taking over too much."

"I started all this and when the Rhonda lady expected it from me I felt like I had to."

"Well, it sure worked, but how did you do it? You’ve never acted like a power person before."

Woorawa gave Kieran a funny little look.

"I know, Rhys! I cheated and tried to copy the way Kieran looks and sounds with his ruler personality."

Rhys loved it and Tan and Mr B gave a look which said he’d been eminently authoritative. Kieran felt Auntie's strong gaze while he spoke.

"If it was all acting, Woorawa, it wouldn't have affected us so strongly. Will you be able to call it up at your welcome home celebration tonight?"

"... I wasn't going to talk, Kieran. It will all be a special dance I’m working on."

Tan grabbed Auntie's attention.

"There you are. Spread the word for every possible person to be there. Woorawa’s ordinary dances are special, so when he says special that means especially special."

Rhys shook his head.

"Tan’s a nutcase Auntie, but this time he’s right."

"A nutcase? I struggle more with context gaps than actual conversation, Rhys. But if you agree with Tan then surely you must be a nutcase yourself?"

"Me! No way! It’s obvious I’m the only sensible person here."

"Obvious indeed! ... Woorawa, you have interesting friends."

"I can hardly believe how interesting, Auntie."

Burrimul gestured Auntie to the stackable chairs and when he sat talking with her the general atmosphere relaxed.

"That invitation to the Council meeting was good, Woorawa. Do you have any ideas about what you’ll say?"

"It’s too soon, Mr B. Lots could happen in a week and a half and I’m too concerned about tonight to really think about it."

"You don't need to be concerned. Everyone’s going to love whatever you do."

"If Auntie spreads the word like Tan told her to, there might be lots of people who don't know me. I think we’ll go to the Centre this afternoon to get ourselves ready."

The friends shared a look.

"You want us to be involved in your dance? We’ll try but you know we’re kind of clumsy."

"I want everyone involved, Kieran, but I’m thinking of other ways you might help."

"Okay! How much time will you need?"

"All day, but we’ll stay here till two o'clock to support Auntie."

Mr B started reorganising the trestle top then stopped at the short murmur of warning.

Kieran, sensing the tension, turned and watched a police car slide to a halt behind the three parked vehicles. Rhys started to say something but stopped with the sudden watchful atmosphere.

"They’re really wary of that car, Kieran."

"That’s for sure. Hang on."

"What’s happening Woorawa? Why’s everyone so quiet?"

"I’ve heard my friends talking about a policeman who likes giving our people a bad time, and from their reaction this might be him."

The car sat motionless and Burrimul and Auntie moved to stand together at the tent entrance.

"Are you going to talk to them?"

Burrimul shook his head.

"We know this pattern, Mr B. They wait while tension builds and if we approach the car they react with aggression."

Rhys got all indignant.

"Aggression? Are you sure? They might be talking on their radios or something?"

Tan spoke quietly.

"I doubt it, Rhys. Look at the car. It’s designed to look intimidating. The windows are tinted so dark they’re like mirrors, and why would they need so many aerials? That one on the back looks like the Eiffel Tower."

"There’s definitely aggression behind that glass, Rhys, and we’re going to take over from Burrimul and Auntie."

"Okies! What d’you want me to do?"

"… Act all friendly. That will switch their attention to us."

Kieran gave Auntie and Burrimul a wink then moved a few steps to interpose himself. Rhys keeping beside him, smiled broadly, waved as if greeting an old friend, then pointed at the front of the vehicle. Nothing happened for several seconds but then the door opened and a burly officer moved to check for anything wrong. There wasn't, of course, and annoyance flared.

"Gods, Kieran! He must know the redneck rulebook by heart. Look at him."

Kieran could only agree. Dark sunglasses, a firearm on one hip and handcuffs on the other might well be standard, but the body language and hand resting on a baton handle was blatantly intimidating.

"What the hell were you pointing at?"

"The big driving lights look interesting. They must be really powerful."

"Don't get smart."

Rhys was strong and fit but this man was half a head taller and way more solid. Warning bells rang.

"Back off, Rhys, and don't say anything else. This guy’s trained in restraint and you’re not. He wants a confrontation and you’ll get hurt."

Kieran stepped in front and protective dismay flowed from Rhys.

"But.."

"I’ll Medusa him if I have to."

Kieran's next step was a comfort zone intrusion and the touch on the baton became a grip.

"Hello officer. How can I help you?"

The baton partially withdrew.

"By getting the hell out of my way so I can find out what's going on."

Kieran took a step back, a very short step, which complied while still bordering personal space. This instantly changed him from a minor hindrance to a focus for full attention.

"I’ll happily explain, officer. This ..."

One hand lifted and Kieran flinched from the finger jabbing at him.

"You’re hindering an officer in the course of his duties, so shut your face and get out of the way before I action you."

Kieran said nothing and for an interesting moment watched the dark sunglasses removed and a careful gaze cast over all the silent watchers. Woorawa's friends said later it was a check for any cell phones making a record. Whatever, the moment changed to a renewed assessment. Good!

Kieran used the moment to hold a calm but clearly questioning eye contact. Assessment ended, and aggression contained, the florid features retreated in unconscious awareness of intrusion on Kieran's personal space.

"... Who the hell are you?"

Kieran took a little more authority and paused as if considering how much he should reveal.

"I’m here to monitor and report on reactions to this gathering and, if necessary, resolve any.."

This was definitely the place for a combined pause and meaningful look

"… misunderstandings."

Any last vestige of aggression turned to wariness along with another retreat from the now discomfiting regard.

"… Auntie Arika and her people are voicing their determination to protect their Sacred Places, Sgt Malone, and I welcome your support in the days ahead."

The officers head lifted at the use of his name.

"… Support? ... I ... have other duties."

"Of course! A friendly regular patrol would be plenty."

Any response was interrupted by the flurry of Rhonda and Brent rushing across the road.

"Is everything all right?"

"Woorawa, take over and tell her, yes, the patrol just stopped to find out what was happening."

Woorawa hurriedly moved next to Kieran.

"The officer wanted to know why we’ve gathered and stopped to find out."

The official stance returned and after a sweeping study he slipped the sunglasses on and with a nod of acknowledgement to Kieran, strode to the car which started moving to a background murmur of released tension.

The counsellers looked to Woorawa.

"What happened? As soon as we got word his car was here we came running."

Rhonda hesitated because there was no answer. Every skerrick of attention was focused on Kieran. Rhys was smiling. Burrimul was nodding. Auntie looked thunderstruck.

"Answer Rhonda, Woorawa, and take the attention away from me."

"Wow!.. Okay!"

"We were really worried too, Rhonda, when he stopped, but he contained himself and I think he’s even decided to keep an eye on us with friendly patrols."

"Malone? .. Friendly? ... That would be a first ... He did seem unusually constrained though ... Maybe his station commander gave him specific instructions."

"Ha! He met you, Kieran. That was ... Impressive. Did you power him?"

"In a minute, Rhys, when the counsellers have gone."

That was almost immediately and Kieran pushed a gentle suggestion so that the friends and Burrimul would have the tent to themselves.

"That was unreal, Kieran. How did you stop him? For a moment I thought he was going to push you to the ground."

"So did I, Mr B, but Woorawa got me through it."

"What? No, I didn't. I didn't say a word the whole time till you told me to take over."

"You said you copied my boss manner with Maynor, and it gave me the idea of acting the way my father did with the High Council."

"Acting? Weren’t you using power? He went from aggro to meek as a lamb in two seconds flat when you looked at him."

"No, Rhys. It was pretty scary but I wanted to see if I could get him to respond to me without it."

"Well, Rhys said it right, but how did you know his name? It wasn't anywhere on his uniform and You could see him wondering what you knew about him."

"I don't know, Mr B ... Yes I do. It was so strong in Burrimul and the others' minds they might as well have been shouting, and his uniform showed he was a sergeant."

Tan spoke.

"It was amazing, but not really surprising when you think about it. Kieran’s always been able to take charge and that got stronger and more natural in the Realms. The other Realms Lords give him respect even when some of them have more than a thousand years experience and their own authority."

"Most of that was Ranevargar working through our merge, Tan."

"Get real! That wasn't Ranevargar taking over the town bully just by looking at him."

The enthusiastic concert of nods and grins showed how strongly everyone agreed with Rhys.

"What’s the time, Tan?"

"Um! ... Just after 11 o'clock."

Four questioning looks locked on.

"We can stay here for a few hours but I need to have a better talk with Ranevargar than yesterday's quick catch up."

"Burrimul or someone can drive you to the Centre if you need peace and quiet?"

"No, I want us all here as a show of support, and just in case, Woorawa, but it could be a fairly long Buddha time."

Rhys laughed.

"We’ll cordon you off and say you’re meditating to recuperate from your super boss effort."

"Idiot!"

***

No cordon was needed. Burrimul simply closed the tent flap and spread the message that the inside was a no-go area while Kieran took some personal time.

Rhys ignored Kieran's suggestion to leave and mingle and stayed to keep watch, even though he'd most likely be bored out of his brain.

"You’ve spoken to Ranevargar stacks of time since we got back, Kieran, so what’s different this time?"

"That was all on relay through my network with Maurice and I feel like it's time for a proper talk with direct contact."

"Direct? All the way to the Realms?"

Kieran moved two chairs so they could sit together at the back of the tent.

"How far’s that, Rhys? The Realms could be right here for all we know. You’re sort of right though because direct isn’t going to be easy."

"So that means the Opal?"

"Yeah, and projecting like we did for Tan and Woorawa, only into the Realms instead of out ... Got any special messages?"

"Just the ordinary ones ... And check on baby Krol."

Kieran's eyes closed in concentration and, without using his network to relay through Maurice, summoned his special pattern of Ranevargar's identity and reached.

"??"

Kieran seized the hint of awareness, locked it in place and, calling Opal power, strengthened and secured it open. Rhys moved his chair to block the strong blue glow at Kieran's chest from the view of any chance entry to the tent.

"Hi, Ranevargar! Are you free for a proper talk?"

"Of course, Kieran ... Is something concerning you?"

"It's been two days now but so much has happened I can hardly keep up."

"Your messages through Maurice have all been positive. There is more?"

The positive messages had been about the Realms link working with no apparent change, and Kieran's abilities and affinities with animals all being as effective as ever.

"Yes, much more. Instead of a break to sort ourselves before College starts next year we’re helping Woorawa protect the Valley of Eagles from being wrecked."

"What manner of wrecking?"

"Turned into a mine."

"A minor problem, surely? Why the concern?"

"Major, Ranevargar! ... The government backs the mining people."

"The government are the over-rulers for the Ancient Land?"

"Yes."

"Could you negotiate a compromise?"

"Not with these people! What they want is the equivalent of Maynor wrecking one of your Groves, and Tan’s Oracle mode is backing Woorawa."

Kieran almost smiled as Ranevargar's mind went into overdrive.

"I see. Major indeed! Can we initiate a level of merge, Kieran, so I can understand better?"

"When I’m outside the Realms? Is that possible?"

"Before now I would not have thought so, but the security and strength of this link gives me confidence. Are you calling much power?"

Introspection became extrospection and Kieran hurriedly dampened his runaway blue glow.

"Whoo! Rhys was getting frantic about the tent lighting up ... Stacks of power, Ranevargar, but it’s easy to keep it going so get started."

A light, surface level merge grew easily and, by mutual agreement, deepened to allow broader and faster sharing.

"Extraordinary!

Puzzling!

Well done!

A new thing."

Kieran experienced Ranevargar's reactions while he assessed the memories tagged for consideration, then got partially left behind for the complicated time of assessment.

"How do you do that, Ranevargar? I can't keep up when you go into your super fast thinking mode."

"You are on the path already, Kieran. The mindset you used for faster learning with Mr B indicates that ... Kieran, judge and act for each new situation as you believe is appropriate. I will support where it is possible but I have so little knowledge of the rules and customs of the Human World I can't advise with surety. I do see guidance, through Tan, for the time ahead."

"We all sort of feel like we’re being swept along by a great current."

"An apt description, but I also see that you agree with the direction it is taking you."

"Completely ... And we all agree it’s the ‘follow your heart’ pronouncement starting to happen."

"The somewhat surprising intervention with the storyspeaker tells me Tan's pronouncements might well be directed more broadly than for matters directly concerning you and your friends."

"Your theory about an agency making things happen?"

"More and more I wonder about the Earth Nexus, Kieran. We now know with certainty it is the source of your White Power, and your brief experience of its presence is tantalising."

Wary amusement flared.

"I suppose so, but I don't think I’m ready to look at it too closely. There was just enough time to sense how enormous it was before Tan took over and dream walked us out. I’ve got a background thought that it was for our own protection."

"Trust your instinct then, Kieran, but I also see you have no qualms about re-using the portal."

"Hey, I don't, do I? … As long as Rhys and the others are with me it’s okay .. Another background idea I didn't know I had till I thought about it ... I wonder if it’s Rhys’s hands ... No, it doesn't feel right without everyone there."

"Should I share these insights with Uirebon? When he contacts me tomorrow his curiosity will be boundless."

"For sure! The more he knows the better. What about my father?"

"He was in contact with me from the moment you portalled till Maurice relayed the news of your well-being."

"Hmm! I should contact him directly too, even if it does need a lot of power."

"Yes!"

"Ranevargar, we haven't worked out our rules about reacting with other people's minds. It’s not as straightforward as in the Realms. I had to go into the jeweller’s mind without permission to help him recover properly."

"Yes, that was fascinating. I think he must have a natural, but rare, ability to sense power.

Kieran, look on permission as an expression of harmony and good intent. It wasn't relevant with Maynor and Lady Narello, and conventions of a culture with a basis of mind communication cannot always be relevant in a culture without. If I had been present that minion of the law would have found himself kneeling ever so humbly at your feet."

"Minion. The others will like that, especially Rhys ... And you’re telling me to use my own judgement again?"

"In combination with your companions, yes. I certainly am."

"Hmm! … Is anything happening with Maynor yet?"

"Nothing new, Kieran. You have only just left the Realms."

The relative time rates suddenly took meaning.

"Wow! It’s still the same day for you. This is going to take some adjusting. We’re going-"

"KIERAN!"

Kieran almost lost the link when Rhys’s insistent yell mangled his concentration but then, because of Ranevargar’s support, it firmed in place again.

"I’ll return as soon as I know what’s happened, Ranevargar. Rhys wouldn't interrupt without a good reason."

"Let us try holding our merge. If I manage your concentration we might be able to apply separate viewpoints. The merge doesn't seem to be affected by separation and I will gain a better understanding from first-hand experience."

"We can try but I am only just managing. Make the merge deeper so you’re running things."

Kieran smiled at the surge of appreciation and then again at the momentary blip when Ranevargar took charge.

"Oh my, Kieran! This would be a rare event without your Opal. Don't dally!"

"Rhys! What’s happened?"

For a moment Rhys stared.

"You feel like Ranevargar’s in there. Listen! The media’s out there and things have turned interesting. I wanted to go out but it was more important to keep guard, especially before you turned the lighthouse off. Auntie got all excited and vocal, but then Woorawa started speaking and the atmosphere skyrocketed. Now they’re doing the new chant."

Recognition came and, rushing for the tent entrance, Ranevargar/Kieran reached for Tan’s mind. That brought a startled response.

"Kieran?"

"They’re doing the chant without you, Tan? I thought it needed your Oracle mode."

"Not this time. I saw them start."

Ranevargar/Kieran burst through the tent opening, then, reacting to the atmosphere, stopped to stare past the ordered semicircle of helpers to the chanting forms of Woorawa and Auntie.

"Astonishing, Kieran! Woorawa's movement holds every watching eye. The mind of that man with the strange device is entranced."

The strange device was a shoulder mounted camera. Slightly in front of him was a lady, eyes wide with rapt expression, holding a microphone forward to capture the force and rhythm of the dual chant.

The movement was simple and pure Woorawa. Auntie was following, carried, and now the almost ceremonial formation of helpers as well as Mr B, Tan and Burrimul, joined in.

"Wow! That’ll sure spread the message if it gets on the telly."

Ranevargar/Kieran watched with awe as Woorawa answered with conviction and authority when the microphone was practically shoved down his throat.

"Kieran, Woorawa is grown in stature!"

"I know. His people look at him in a special way and Burrimul and Auntie let him do all the talking to the people from across the road."

Ranevargar accessed those memories to better understand, and Kieran watched everyone gather excitedly round Woorawa after the media people finished with him and repaired to their van.

Rhys gave him a nudge.

"Come on!"

"Soon, Rhys. I’m going back into the tent till I finish speaking to Ranevargar."

"You are connected then? It felt like it, but you’re talking and watching without a Buddha trance."

Rhys rushed off to hear what Woorawa was saying.

"Rhys felt that we were merged?"

Kieran replayed the statement in his mind.

"I think it’s because he knows me so well, Ranevargar. I’ll ask him, though, because feeling’s not quite the same as knowing."

"Your routine training sessions are important and I see you haven't had any since we parted."

"You’ve got to be kidding! We’ve been running round like headless chooks, and we won't have a minute to ourselves till we’re on the plane tomorrow."

"Headless chooks? You are acquiring Rhys-like mannerisms ... Make Woorawa the arbiter for your group sessions, Kieran. He has a particular regard for their importance.

Kieran couldn't resist.

"Slave driver!"

"Impetuous youth!"

Humour subsided and for a while communication deepened.

***

Kieran called a halt to the group deliberation and planning.

"I’m hungry. What are we going to do about food?"

"Hmm?"

Woorawa came back from whatever he was thinking about.

"The fire restrictions mean we can’t cook any campfire food, so why don't we find a café or something before we head to the Springs?"

Woorawa grabbed Tan’s wrist and checked his watch.

"Where did the time go? I need to feel at home in that place by the time everyone gets there."

"At home? What d’you mean, Woorawa?"

"I haven't been there since the night you zapped me, Rhys, so seeing it with eyes will be new."

He looked at Burrimul.

"Jimmy’s is always open on weekends. Let's go there."

"Who’s Jimmy?"

"I don't know if there is a Jimmy, Rhys. It's a barbecue chicken place with really tasty food where Uncle used to take me for a treat. It’s quick and we can stock up for the gathering."

It was quick, and it was tasty, and Tan’s eyes bugged when Woorawa bought all the cooked chickens, seventeen of them, and arranged for containers of roast veggies and salads, along with another twenty-five chickens, to be delivered in a couple of hours time.

"The gemstones paid for it, Tan, so it’s nothing really."

It was typical Woorawa generosity and another reminder of the contrast with their student allowance attitudes.

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 8
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome again!  There are always unpleasant elements in the constabulary, regardless of what country they are from.  Well done my friend and thank you  for sharing your story with us.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Wonderful chapter; let's hope the bees nest that the Council Secretary stirred up continues to grow.  I have a feeling that they could be equally important to stopping this mining issues.

Auntie is going to important, you can just tell how others, even our group response to her.

Great update, can't wait for the next one.

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Dathi said:

Awesome again!  There are always unpleasant elements in the constabulary, regardless of what country they are from.  Well done my friend and thank you  for sharing your story with us.

Hmm! This made me think - there are unpleasant elements in all walks of life - we're people!

'Awesome' ? Wow! :*)

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

The chapter ended with me wanting more!  I'm right back into your Widderkin world. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you @Daddydavek.

I've been wondering how the amount of time passed might affect readers' recollections, so to hear you're 'right back into Widderkin world' is very affirming.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Wonderful chapter; let's hope the bees nest that the Council Secretary stirred up continues to grow.  I have a feeling that they could be equally important to stopping this mining issues.

Auntie is going to important, you can just tell how others, even our group response to her.

Great update, can't wait for the next one.

Great to hear you enjoyed the chapter! 😀

You're spot on about Auntie - as we'll soon see.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Palantir said:

 

I've been wondering how the amount of time passed might affect readers' recollections, so to hear you're 'right back into Widderkin world' is very affirming.

Still have flashbacks of "The Joker" by Steve Miller Band LOL

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dathi said:

Still have flashbacks of "The Joker" by Steve Miller Band LOL

Me too! - and now that you've mentioned it, the chorus will be stuck in my mind for days. :music:

That gem of association wasn't mine, though. It came from the creative mind of @Philippe,

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Palantir said:

Me too! - and now that you've mentioned it, the chorus will be stuck in my mind for days. :music:

That gem of association wasn't mine, though. It came from the creative mind of @Philippe,

 

Some people call me a space cowboy, Some people a gangster of love, Some people call me .. Maurice 🎼 🎶!

😛. Yup, not to be defined, cause I speak of the pompatus of love!

So Much is open to interpretation, imagination, and inspiration, it seems ; somewhat fitting too!

I’m not caught up to join the book two readings yet, but I look very much forward to rejoining the read very soon. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and for keeping the Realms alive!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 11/18/2023 at 1:14 PM, Palantir said:

Thank you @Daddydavek.

I've been wondering how the amount of time passed might affect readers' recollections, so to hear you're 'right back into Widderkin world' is very affirming.

Well here it seemed to be a while but in Realm time we hardly had a break in time! Hahaha 🤪 how appropriate these timelines are to understanding. Lol. Thanks again for bringing us back to Widderkin.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/8/2023 at 6:04 PM, Philippe said:

Well here it seemed to be a while but in Realm time we hardly had a break in time! Hahaha 🤪 how appropriate these timelines are to understanding. Lol. Thanks again for bringing us back to Widderkin.

Yep! New situations! New characters! But still Widderkin! 😀

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thanks for another intriguing chapter. Woorawa is definitely coming to more power. The Aunties in community are vital to the functioning of any family and serve as mum to all their children. As are Uncles. For me you've made a pretty fair representation of our First Nations peoples. Thanks

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Thanks for another intriguing chapter. Woorawa is definitely coming to more power. The Aunties in community are vital to the functioning of any family and serve as mum to all their children. As are Uncles. For me you've made a pretty fair representation of our First Nations peoples. Thanks

Thank you, @Jabba,

I am in awe of many facets of our First Nations culture and I'm chuffed that it comes across for you.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..