Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 6,362 Words
  • 449 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin V. O. E. - 14. Chapter 14

WIDDERKIN VOE.

***

Kieran surfaced from introspection and swept his gaze slowly and purposefully across the stark surroundings in an attempt to follow Burrimul’s exhortation to become atttuned to this timeless place. Timeless was certainly right. Apart from one spindly ghost gum everything close was rock and earth. Some forty metres away, Woorawa and Burrimul were sitting on the meeting rock and the hum of their conversation and occasional chant was a curiously fitting counterpoint to the natural silence.

Because of Burrimul and Woorawa's secret business and Kieran's Buddha time, Rhys, Mr B and Tan were exploring the area for any ceremonial paintings which were, apparently, quite abundant. A fleeting check showed them all happy and examining a lump of quartz Mr B was holding.

Kieran rested his hand, in a kind of association, on a smooth piece protruding from the rocks of the small cleft he was using as a shady retreat. This same quartz contained traces of the rare mineral the mining company wanted to refine. Probably it was in the Earth Nexus too. A cautious probe when they’d first arrived renewed his awareness of immense power but also gave a sense that now was not the time for any deep study.

A flicker of movement caught his attention and, smiling at the wise little skink eyes checking him out, Kieran carefully released his affinity barrier. Ranevargar had shown him how to build this when so many Realms animals automatically approaching him had become a nuisance.

Yes, this was a pattern he knew, and a probe, almost automatic, showed many more. Kieran directed assurance to the little watcher, reinstalled the barrier and turned his mind to Michael and the orcas. Part of his wake-up routine every day was a status check of his Opal network. First of all to see how things were with Maurice in the Realms, and then a scan of Michael and the orcas. This morning he’d seen Michael had a day off work and planned to meet his orca pod. The Opal identity spark lit up and, smiling at the flood of happiness, Kieran accessed Michael's senses to find out why. Michael was sitting atop Norkus, pounding the flesh near his blowhole. What on earth? ... Aha! A whack from Michael transmitted through blubber almost like a tickle and Norkus loved it. A subtle suggestion paused Michael's actions and lifted his head to survey his surroundings. Orcas were everywhere, the whole pod according to Michael's understanding, with the pod leader watching and waiting for his turn to be ridden.

That was interesting. Their water antics meant an exact count was practically impossible so where did Michael's certainty come from? ... He had the same certainty about the pod leader? Come to think of it, how did Michael know where to meet the pod?

There was clearly a sophisticated form of communication happening. Kieran smiled again as a strange call sounded and Norkus manoeuvred next to the pod leader. Good grief! He was gigantic. Michael jumped so casually to the broad back that Kieran almost checked to see how many times they’d met up. No, that would mean going deep into Michael's memories and that, a step further than simply accessing his senses, would require proper permission.

Hmm! Face-to-face would be right for Michael and that discussion meant another trip to Melbourne ... No! Curiosity would have to wait. Ranevargar had been intrigued with the orca minds and he’d be keen to watch any communication.

Now what? The pod was moving and Michael's eyes were searching ahead. Kieran switched to the pod leader’s mind and tried to glean meaning from the barrage of sound that was the primary interest. Whoo! Ranevargar was right. Orca minds were very different to the straightforward nature of Guardian minds.

Back to Michael. Excitement overlaid pleasure while he held fast to the massive fin and watched ahead while the water churned past.

Kieran couldn't resist and, justifying himself that it was only surface thoughts, peaked for understanding ... Whales! ... And some kind of major event?

Burrimul’s injunction for quiet introspection washed away, almost literally, as thirty orcas powered towards some target. A giant fluke lifted and splashed in the distance, and the pod slowed while Norkus closed and matched speed so Michael could transfer again.

The pod raced ahead, Norkus veered to the left and then Michael's thoughts went blurry.

What? Kieran switched again, shuddered in shock and scrambled to cushion himself from the leader’s overpowering aggression and purpose. The sensation of teeth closing in triumph joined massed orca calls, frantic motion and a haze of red swirling water in an overload of import.

"What the hell happened? Are you all right? You nearly clobbered us with your mind yells."

Kieran's awareness snapped 2000 km to his immediate surroundings and the ring of dismayed faces. He laughed and the concern disappeared.

"I just killed a great white shark and I wasn't ready for the emotions that went with it."

"A shark?"

"I was doing a routine check on Michael, Mr B, and he was mucking around with the orcas when they heard underwater distress calls. A mob of sharks was attacking a baby whale and Michael got the orcas to fight them off."

"Michael? He can do that?"

"He talks to them, Tan. I don't know how, but he knows things like where to meet up with them and some of their intentions."

"He’s very good with animals. Remember what Mandy said about him."

"That’s an affinity like mine, but this was different. I was checking his surface thoughts and his mind went blurry."

"Blurry? What's that mean?"

"That’s what’s puzzling, Mr B. Tan's oracle mind is completely impenetrable but Michael's is still his except I can't quite make sense of it."

"Oh my! You think Michael is having white power episodes?"

"Sort of, except he starts them himself whenever he wants to talk to the orcas."

Everyone was startled by Rhys's laugh.

"Ranevargar’s brain will blow a fuse when he hears there’s a new way to talk to animals … Kieran, I wonder if we’ll ever catch up?"

"Catch up with what, Rhys?

"Everything, Tan. New things keep getting thrown at us faster than we can take them in. You should mind talk to Michael, Kieran. He’d love to help in any way he can."

"That’s too big a step, Rhys. All he’s had so far is the orca images we shared. I want to talk it through face-to-face first so he understands how deep I want to look.

"Deep?"

"Yes, Mr B. I think it will need a mind merge with Ranevargar to watch the blurry thing properly."

"Let’s bring him up here. Uncle and the other elders will meet him and welcome him to country."

Tan got extra eager at Woorawa's suggestion.

"Yes! Remember how elders were so important? And flying will be an exciting adventure for him too. Ranevargar will be awake and ready for another direct contact in four days, so that’s plenty of time to get him here. We’ll ring him as soon as we get back to town."

"What about Mandy? It was an awkward time for her to give him any leave."

Woorawa glanced at Burrimul.

"We’ll ring her directly with a message that our elders wish to share business with him. She knows what it would mean to him and I’m sure she’ll make it happen. She complained strongly that he had too much time off he hadn't taken."

Kieran smiled at all the eagerness to have Michael join them. Well, he felt the same.

"You and Tan organise it, Woorawa, and try to get him here on Wednesday so he can be part of your big showground event."

After his impromptu ghost gum dance at the reconsecration ceremony, the elders, Burrimul and Auntie Arika had all been keen for Woorawa to do something special to include the people who'd been arriving from near and far.

"Michael’s very shy, Kieran. It would be nerve racking for him to dance in front of so many people."

"Get real, Mr B. He’ll get sucked in like all the rest of us. After A couple of practices with Woorawa he won't even know if the rest of the world even exists."

"Hmm! Yes, that’s true, Rhys, and he did love the evenings with Woorawa at Phillip Island."

Kieran turned to Burrimul.

"I’m sorry, Burrimul. We’ve just wrecked the frame of mind you were hoping for us. Tell us a story and we’ll try again."

"Another day, Kieran. Hearing about sharks attacking a baby whale and orca rides is a mood change for anyone ... And after what Woorawa has told me I’m as keen to meet Michael as you all are."

"Don't you need more time for your business with Woorawa? We were going to be here for hours more."

"Much more time, Kieran, but since it’s preparation for both his initiation and formal recognition as an elder, it mustn't be rushed."

Woorawa couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Uncle, you can't be serious. I don't know anything. I ..."

Tan touched two fingers to Woorawa's forehead and spoke with gentle confidence.

***

Mind awhirl with new pressures of expectation, Harris headed for Morrison's office.

Yes, it had been the right decision to question the timing for a delegation. Morrison might have been giving guidance in the halls of power, but he’d also enjoyed revealing the extent of his accomplishment to one of the few people in a position to appreciate it.

The Opposition as well as the Government.

The man was an octopus, tentacles of influence coiling through the corridors of power and business. And what was it with his IT guru? Deeper delving was due anyone attracting the boss’s attention. And a list of officials? Who would have prepared that?

***

"Welcome to country, Michael. Our Council greets you as visitor and friend."

Michael's eyes were wide with wonder at the five elders lined up to offer him greeting at the airport luggage pickup area.

"Thank you ... Thank you! I don't know what to say."

Burrimul, remembering Woorawa's comments about Michael's keenness to meet a real elder, had arranged this simple ceremony as well as promising more as part of the big Showground event.

"Your friends tell us of your kindness when they visited your Country, Michael, and they told us how you gave your time and your special knowledge."

Woorawa pushed through the formal line and draped a friendly arm across Michael's shoulders and gave a welcoming squeeze.

"Wow! What was the hold up? We thought you’d never get here. Did you like the trip?"

"The jet was unreal. I got the shivers from amazement when we took off. The captain said there was a strong headwind slowing us down ... Are they all elders?"

Rhys shouldered Michael's oversize backpack and groaned at the weight.

"Sheba, Michael! You’ve brought half of Phillip Island?"

"Mandy organised the pack and my mum organised what went into it, so there’s lots of stuff I don't need."

The chatter and happy catch up continued while the minibus drove to the cultural centre.

***

"What will it feel like? Do I get vibrations or pulses in my mind or headaches or anything?"

Michael was processing the idea of Kieran looking into his mind to help understand his connection with the orcas.

"Your eyes start glowing and your ears turn red."

Michael's eyebrows lifted then he turned to Tan.

"Rhys is doing his thing isn't he?"

"Of course he is. You won't feel anything ... Well none of us have that I’ve heard of. I actually like knowing that Kieran is doing it because we’re sharing a big trust."

"I’ll know when he’s doing it?"

"Only if he tells you, but we’ve all said it’s okay at any time."

"Can anyone else do it?"

"Not really. Rhys is a good mind talker and he can sense feelings sometimes, but Kieran’s the only one here with any proper control."

"Here? Are there other people who can look at our minds?"

Kieran thought it was time to take charge.

"There’s our special friend, Ranevargar. Do you remember us talking about him on the boat? Well, he’s way better than me at understanding minds, Michael, and you’ll meet him tomorrow."

"Ranevargar? Yes, his name stuck in my mind because it was unusual. Is it from round here?"

"Not really. It’s a big story and we’ll tell you lots more about him when we finish our practice session."

"Are you teasing Michael's curiosity?"

"Not really, Mr B. If we explain each exercise as we do it, he’ll have a much better background to understand something as complicated as Ranevargar."

"You reckon? Ranevargar’s way beyond me for just about everything."

Michael took in all the nods and grins of agreement and looked to Kieran for more information.

"Rhys is right, but that’s another curiosity teaser. You’ll get to understand Ranevargar from the same point of view as the rest of us."

"I can't keep up with all this. When are you going to start looking into my mind?"

"I’m looking at your surface level right now."

Michael's whole body jolted with shock.

"Your lips didn't move."

"It's a great way to talk, Michael."

"How do I talk back?"

"However you like. Aloud like you just did, or just ask in your mind. Try a mind question now and I’ll answer with my voice."

"This feels strange ... What’s the name of our special orca?"

"That would be Norkus."

"Yo, Michael! Want to hear a goose joke?"

Michael jumped again and turned to Rhys.

"I know that was you. How can I tell?"

Rhys spoke to everyone.

"We’re introducing Michael to mind talking, and when I spoke he knew who I was. How does that work, Kieran? I've always just taken it for granted."

"So have I. It has to be a pattern we recognise ... We’ll ask Ranevargar when he’s with us."

Mr B laughed.

"You’re piling on the curiosity teasers, Kieran?

"Does mind talking work when I can't see you?"

"Of course it does, Michael. Close your eyes and ask me something."

"I really meant like if I’m in another room or outside somewhere, Rhys."

"It changes the more you practice. I can sort of talk to Woorawa and Mr B for a couple of hundred metres and even more if I can see them."

"Woorawa and Mr B? What about Kieran?"

Rhys spoke aloud.

"Michael’s asking how far mind talking works with Kieran. You should answer that, Kieran."

Kieran nodded.

"Yes, it’s kind of complicated, Michael. I can talk like Rhys for a few kilometres and even further when I know someone's pattern. My second way is to get a boost from my Opal, and my third way is one that Ranevargar taught me that works for any distance."

"Any distance? ... As far as Phillip Island?"

"Easy as! It’s part of my Opal and we call it a network."

"That’s unbelievable!."

Rhys voiced all the smiles of acknowledgement and agreement.

"Get used to it, Michael. You’re with Kieran now."

"Kieran? You just spoke into my mind, Rhys, so you’re unbelievable too."

"What’s Norkus doing right at this moment?"

Michael made a kind of long blink.

"He’s playing with the other young orcas ... He-"

Michael broke off at Kieran's nod and the surprised look from everyone else.

"Join the unbelievable, Michael. Somehow you know that from 2000 km away and you don't even have an Opal network. I watched while you checked and I haven't got a clue how you did it."

"You watched my mind working?"

"Yes, you said it was okay."

"It is, but it’s still unbelievable."

Rhys grabbed him in a happy shoulder hug.

"Join the club, Michael."

Woorawa took over.

"We start our practice time with a chant to get in the mood, Michael. Join in as soon as you get the feel of it."

***

Two pieces of golden brown toast popped up in the toaster and Michael slathered butter and honey on the slice Woorawa passed him.

"Yes, I had a good sleep, but when I woke up I was thinking about everything and that woke me up even more. Does everyone get up at different times?"

Woorawa laughed.

"Rhys sleeps for ages if we let him, but everyone else will be here soon because we’ve got such a busy day ahead of us. Tan woke up just as I was leaving our room so he’ll only be a minute. Mr B’s usually first up so he won't be long either, and Kieran’s probably awake and doing his morning checkup."

"In bed? What’s he checking?"

"Everything he can. First is usually with Maurice to get an update about everything with the Realms, and then he has a glance to make sure our mind shields are okay and haven't been touched by anything. Next he gets an overview for everything in his network, then looks closer at the people in it."

"Why do we need mind shields? I was hopeless against everyone last night."

"No you weren't! You’re way better than Tan and Rhys were at the start. We probably don't need shields here, Michael, but it's a habit from when the Realm Lords attacked us."

"They sound scary to me ... Except for Ranevargar. I like what I've heard about him."

"They were all scary till Kieran and Ranevargar showed them what was going on. Well, Maynor’s still kind of scary but he’s under control."

Tan entered the kitchen, gave Woorawa and Michael a morning hug, then checked the crust on Michael's's plate.

"Michael travels 2000 km to be with us and all he gets is toast? ... Which would you like out of bacon or mushrooms or devilled eggs?"

Woorawa gave Michael a positive nod.

"Say you want them all. The rest of us do, and Rhys will complain about being starved and want sausages or pancakes as well. Did you sleep okay, Michael?"

Mr B walked in.

"Morning, Michael. Are they looking after you … Toast? Tan, you slacker! Is that all you’re giving him?"

"Tan said he’ll cook other things, Mr B. He just walked in a couple of seconds before you did."

"What? He’s getting as bad as Rhys."

Woorawa shook his head.

"You must be too, then, Mr B, if he gets here before you."

"I’ve been awake, thinking."

The joking atmosphere turned to strong interest.

"And?"

"Two things, Woorawa. One about you and one about Michael."

"Go ahead."

"Well, I don't know how we’ll squeeze it in but it would be a good idea for you to work on some of your college stuff. You missed almost a whole semester."

Michael watched Woorawa and Tan share a look.

"Tan has already made plans, Mr B, for after this next crazy week. He’s going to concentrate on my computer work because he knows the most, and we thought you’d be best to boost my maths. We know Kieran will want to help too, but he’ll probably have too many other things on his mind."

Mr B looked at Tan.

"I should have known you’d have it all in hand, Tan, and Rhys won't be left out with your language and Lit."

"So what have you thought of for Michael?"

"He needs a boat, Woorawa. We’ll go to the bank this morning and transfer the money to his account."

With total disbelief Michael took in Tan and Woorawa's eager agreement.

"Hey! Brilliant! We should’ve done this ages ago."

"But ... But ... The hire boat is all we need."

"Not if it's an emergency, or its out of hours, or if it's a busy time and someone else has already hired it. This makes total sense. What do you reckon, Tan?"

"I agree. Michael’s speaker for the orcas. He gets a boat and it should be a good one."

A blur of movement turned everyone's head as Kieran hurried in.

"Morning everyone. What's this about a boat? Michael's mind lit up with so much disbelief and excitement it distracted me from checking Auntie's plans for the day ... I see. Good thinking, Mr B, and I agree with you all. Tan, I caught your comment about a boat but it can’t just be good. It needs to be the best. Bigger, for a start, so we can all sleep on it, with a long-range, and strong, reliable engines."

"Bigger than the one we hire? Even a second-hand one would cost a fortune, Kieran. Do you know how much boats like that cost?"

"We’ll take it out of Rhys's account. He's got so much he won't know the difference."

Mr B laughed.

"Good thinking, Kieran. I can't wait to see his reaction when we tell him he’s giving Michael a super boat."

"It won't be mine."

Mr B gave Michael a serious look.

"It will be everyone's if we need it, Michael, but otherwise it will be yours to use and look after as you see fit."

"Could I use it for Mandy and the park?"

"Of course. The more you use it the better you’ll know it."

"And Rhys really has got lots of money?"

"We all have, Michael. It’s just that more of his has come through. It's like this ..."

***

Michael fingered his bankcard wonderingly and turned to Rhys and Mr B.

"I can hardly believe it. This little bit of plastic stands for a whole boat ... Was that special treatment with the manager making everything happen so quickly, Mr B?"

"Probably, because he saw Woorawa's gemstones when we put them in the bank vault ... Is Woorawa finished organising the funds for the cultural centre, Rhys?"

"Not yet. Kieran says to meet up for a drink before we head off to see Auntie."

Mr B looked around.

"There’s a nice-looking café across the road there."

"Nope. They’ve got another one in mind, but let's check this one out anyway. It’s got a neat set up with outdoor tables and shady plants."

Michael was staring.

"What?"

"Sorry. I’m not used to this mind talking yet and I don't even know where Kieran is."

Rhys pointed.

"He’s that way, about a hundred meters."

"You know what direction he is?"

"Yep!"

"Wow!"

"Not really. I’ve been there a few times."

"Are you stirring?"

"Me? Never."

"Just ignore him, Michael, and take in the sights while we’re moving."

The café looked even nicer close-up, and after making their way past a number of tables they paused while Mr B read through the menu colourfully chalked on a display board.

"This is really-"

"Hey. Come on! I’ve been looking for a gift shop and there’s one just there."

"Walk and don't look back. That was strange."

Mr B reacted quick as a flash and nonchalantly tugged Michael with a come along.

"More gifts? Who are you joking this time?"

"Patience, Mr B. I’ve called Kieran. Have a listen."

Kieran's thoughts came through strongly.

"What’s the emergency, Rhys?"

"Check my memories, Kieran. I had a weird sensation that someone was watching me. It was so strong near that café it gave me the creeps."

"Wow. I see what you mean. You’ve still got them ... Relax while I get into your mind and take over. Michael and Mr B, keep looking in the window as if there’s something interesting while I study the people outside the café.. Woo! The sensation comes from one person who’s watching like an eagle ... Hang on. I’ll catch his pattern and check his surface thoughts ... Holy hell! He’s taping you. Mr B, keep the conversation going so everything looks normal.

"Rhys, if you buy another stuffed koala for Tan he’ll shove it down your throat."

"Good thinking, Mr B."

"I can see a stuffed goose."

Mr B was startled despite the drama of the moment.

"What? Oh, you mean Rhys. Good thinking, Michael."

Rhys shook a play fist and took hold of Michael’s shoulders, his eyes searching all the while to take in every detail of the figure seated at the café table.

"He’s got a spy camera and a directional microphone disguised as earphones, and dark sunnies to hide where he’s really looking. Michael's goose comment was as clear as a bell in his ears. He’s been recording since you came out of the bank ... He’s with the mining company ... This is major ... I'm going deeper than his surface thoughts. Go into the gift shop till I’ve got what I can."

Rhys's arm gestured to the entrance and the trio moved.

"Do we keep acting?"

Rhys came to himself.

"Just look around till Kieran gets back to us."

"All that time in there and you didn't buy anything. Come on, Rhys. The others will be wondering where we are."

"Take a casual look on the way past."

"Which one is he, Rhys?"

"Sunglasses and earphones and he’s sitting close to the road."

"Will we check if he follows us?"

"No, Kieran’s got him tagged now, Michael."

As if impatient with their pointless hold up Mr B strode off, back past he cafe.

"It’s a good disguise. He just looks like someone wrapped up in his music."

"That’s for sure. If it wasn't for the staring sensation I wouldn't have had a clue."

"What does it mean when Kieran tags someone?"

"If he’s got their pattern he can influence them if they’re anywhere close.. He’s concentrating really hard on that guy but that's all I can tell at the moment."

The street was very busy but it only took a couple of minutes to join Kieran, Tan and Woorawa in the lobby area of the community bank. Michael wondered what the looks passing between them meant till Kieran gave him a smile and a nod.

"We’ve had so many situations we kind of share a feeling when we realise we’re facing a new one."

"How big a situation is it, Kieran?"

"Major, Mr B. The mining company’s got a new team watching Woorawa and anyone close to him."

"Not again. Have they put more bugs in the cultural centre?"

"No bugs, Mr B. They’re being super cautious till they figure how we knew about their first crew."

"What does super cautious mean?"

"It means no tricks like at the council meeting, Rhys, no bugs, and no contact of any kind."

"That sounds more annoying than major. How many of them are there?"

"This guy works with three others but he’s not in charge and he suspects there might be more."

"Really? They keep secrets from each other? That's a bit over the top."

"Not really, Rhys. His boss and the other two have arrived from some headquarters in Europe and they’re emphasising their secrecy. Benton doesn't even know they’re here because they think he leaks information without knowing about it."

"Wow! Where are the other three then?"

"Two of them are helping to watch, and the boss is coordinating their movements from an office somewhere close by."

"What does Benton know?"

"I haven't checked yet, Mr B. I'll do that while you’re driving us to meet Auntie."

"Can you identify the other three, Kieran? You need to get them tagged."

"I was going to, Tan, but I'm going to wait till I’m linked with Ranevargar this afternoon. The guy with the stare is seriously interesting and I’ll need help to understand him properly."

Kieran smiled at the combined aura of expectancy.

"He’s got natural shutters and levels different to any mind I’ve seen so far, and there’s a sense of duress from somewhere."

"Duress?"

"I think that’s what it is, Mr B, but I stopped probing past his surface thoughts when I saw so many unusual structures ... I even felt a sneaking sense that he’s on our side."

"This is new, Kieran."

"Yes and no, Mr B. It’s the first time outside the Realms. There were hints of something similar with Lady Narello but Ranevargar was driving our probe then ... Lady Narello is one of the Realm Rulers, Michael, and her mind was a jigsaw of manipulation till Ranevargar fixed it."

Michael peered through the window.

"Will these people follow us to the showgrounds? I feel funny about someone spying on us."

Woorawa touched his arm.

"They won't hurt us, Michael. Kieran will turn them into frogs if they try anything."

"Can you do that, Kieran?"

"It looks real but it’s not. We didn't get around to it last night. Watch Rhys."

Michael's hands grabbed his head and his eyes bugged at the two meter tall goose standing in place of Rhys.

"What about those people? It will freak them out."

Tan and Woorawa stared at him.

"Those people? What’s happening, Kieran?"

"Rhys is a goose ... But only for you, Michael. The bank customers see him as normal."

Rhys caught on.

"Is this the frog trick, except with a goose?"

"You’ve got big red wattles and a perky tail."

Rhys's mouth actually opened, then instantly snapped shut.

"Perky! What kind of word’s that."

Michael was too busy examining the reconstituted Rhys form to answer.

"Come on, goose, I mean, Rhys. It’s time to move."

"Watch it, Mr B. You’ll be first when Maurice teaches me how to do that.

Move they did, with Michael astute enough to wonder if the funny interlude was meant to edge out his spooky feeling of being spied on. Hmm! Was that a blink or a wink from Kieran?"

***

Kieran relaxed, with Michael sitting quietly beside him, and Rhys guarding the tent entrance from any curious visitors. He called, the Opal boosting his reach to the Realms, and linked with the pattern open and waiting for him. After an excited greeting he watched Ranevargar access a flood of memories from his wide open mind and consider them in a long moment of fierce concentration.

"The time difference is uncomfortable, Kieran. You live four lives while I live one, and with so much to consider in our limited time I suggest the strongest merge we can manage."

"No worries. The Opal will back us up."

"Good, our first priority is with Michael, but while we communicate with him we should move closer to the curious mind you want to examine. My experience is with elven minds only, and proximity might be important."

Kieran's thoughts raced.

"He’s outside the Showground, so we’ll go in the centre minibus. It’ll be like a self-contained room and if we make the windows opaque we can park as close as we like. Take over, Ranevargar, and let’s get going."

The deep merge process took a few short moments, and the soft blue glow from the opal startled Michael then faded.

"Hello, Michael. I am Ranevargar, speaking to you with Kieran's help. Would you honour me by exchanging a formal greeting?"

An image flashed to Michael's mind and in step with Kieran, he jumped to his feet and shared a double wrist clasp.

"Would you like Kieran to take on my aspect? It will ease your awareness of the double personality."

"Aspect? You mean he’ll look like you?"

"Yes, Kieran tells me you are familiar with the process."

For an instant Kieran was a goose, and by the time Michael's involuntary smile was settling a Realm Lord was regarding him.

"Yes, we share admiration for the goose with big ears."

Not quite following, Michael looked to the tent entrance where Rhys was standing with a grin plastered all over his face.

"He’s calling me a stickybeak, Michael. He loves giving me a hard time."

Michael relaxed and for the next five minutes was completely unaware of anything except the questions and requests for a whole gamut of interactions with his orcas.

"Thank you for your trust and cooperation. The wonderful bond you share with your far companions is unlike any in my experience. It challenges my understanding of such things. Kieran will share our findings but for now, time presses ... Rhys, lead us to our transportation."

"At your command, great Lord!"

Elf lord aspect faded, and Michael followed while Kieran called Rhys an idiot and ruffed his hair.

"Yes, it’s me for the moment, Michael. Ranevargar will take charge again while you’re driving."

Michael gave a little gasp.

"I can hardly keep up ... Why am I driving?"

"Mr B and Tan are busy with Woorawa and you’ve got a licence."

"What does Ranevargar do when you’re ... On top?"

"Whatever he likes. At the moment he’s studying your memories of Auntie's long talk with you."

"??"

"It went for over an hour and we’re trying to understand why she gave you special treatment."

"Well don't ask me. I thought she was just being extra polite because you told her how much I wanted to meet real elders."

Kieran stopped speaking and Rhys took over.

"Auntie’s a lot more than just polite, Michael. Whatever happened between you was important to her. She’s famous for saying and doing exactly what she thinks ... Take a look at Kieran/Ranevargar. We call that the Buddha mode and it means they’re thinking so hard we shouldn't speak to them."

"If I speak to you does that distract them?"

"Probably not, unless you say something really important."

"Do you know what they’re doing?"

"Sort of. Kieran and I are kind of always together, and even when Ranevargar takes over, a bit sneaks through to me. They’re watching the spy person's mind at the moment ... Here’s the minibus."

"Before we examine this unusual mind, Kieran, we need to neutralise the threat from his manager."

"What do you suggest? We had threats from a nasty student at college but this manager makes him look like a lamb."

"That student’s actions were a result of Maynor’s manipulation. This agent functions without compunction and threatens Woorawa's life. We will implant a compulsion to leave in haste and never return. Watch how I establish an aversion to this land. His only recourse will be to leave."

***

Perspiration trickled copiously as, with barely contained foreboding, the security chief booked a place on the first available flight to the closest international airport.

***

"That was ... Interesting. It’s different to changing memories but not difficult."

"Disquieting to initiate, Kieran, but justified against the strategies he would ultimately apply. Will you share this with your friends? ... I see you will."

"Yes, but not Michael. It’s an unnecessary worry when he’s mostly so far away."

"Rethink that, Kieran. Knowledge of his association was already relayed before Rhys sensed the surveillance."

"Hmm. That means it’s too late to make the team forget him. Well, Michael’s boss made him use some of his leave and he’s with us for the next three weeks."

"Excellent. I would like him to be part of your visit to the Realms."

"That would have to be sooner than we planned."

"Sooner is better, Kieran. Woorawa is keen for me to study his hardy seedlings and your father presses me for news of your return."

Kieran's interest went on hold as Ranevargar took full charge, directed their subject to turn off the surveillance equipment with a suggestion about taking a break, then to close his eyes.

Michael parked behind the hire car and Ranevargar/Kieran left the minibus, tapped softly on the window then eased into the passenger seat.

"Relax, Brian. I mean you no harm. Close your eyes and sleep."

The surprise approach of one of the subjects of interest was lost as consciousness drained. Soft blue glow suffused the interior of the vehicle as the double mind probed gently past barrier after barrier to the inner sanctum of a tortured mind. The touch lingered tenderly, gleaning information and a degree of understanding before retreating.

Dominance became equivalence and Kieran wiped a tear from his eye.

"What are we going to do? I feel sick and sad."

"We will do what we can, Kieran. His bosses will be saddled with two disappearances today. With his consent, you will hide him and guide him, till you can bring him to the Realms for healing."

"Would Rhys be a help?"

"Maybe, but I suspect only marginally. His gift manifests for physical healing ... Let him try."

In moments Rhys was peering through the now open passenger window.

"What’s happening? Are you keeping him asleep because he fought back or something?"

"He needs healing, Rhys. His life has been an unrelenting mix of physical abuse and then mental torture. Lay your hands while he sleeps for any easement they might give."

"Sure, but you sound doubtful, Ranevargar."

"Doubt tempered by hope, Rhys. Let us see what happens."

Rhys waited for the assurance that Kieran was monitoring and reached his hand forward.

"What’s his name?"

"His cover name is John. His public name is Brian, but when he is ready we will call him by his true name, Corey."

A surge of Opal energy interrupted any explanation.

"Woo! That’s fairly major. Is it helping more than you expected?"

Ranevargar watched approvingly as Kieran examined the distribution of Rhys's healing energy and interpreted its effects with practised skill.

"It is significant but all physical, Rhys. You have straightened the badly healed fractures in his arms and right leg, realigned the teeth on the left side of his jaw, and rejoined two floating bones in his rib cage."

Understanding brought horror with it.

"That was ... from the physical abuse?"

"He has had a troubled life, Rhys, as Kieran will explain later. We are about to speak with him though, so it would be best if you return to the minibus. Waking to even a single presence will be more than unsettling."

Rhys nodded.

"Michael’s boggled and I can do my own settling by keeping him company. Will your talk take long?"

"You will know when we are ready, big ears. I couldn't block your access to Kieran's mind even if I wanted to."

Rhys's smile went a long way toward settling Michael.

"What’s funny?"

"Ranevargar called me big ears. It’s a joke between us and there’ll be more action in five or ten minutes ... I think."

***

Copyright © 2023 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 8
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Fortunately for Corey, our guys discovered him.  Fortunately for our guys, they discovered Corey!  The international surveillance team is perhaps even more unscrupulous than Morrison.  Kieran and co. will be doing the world a favor by neutralizing them.  I've been eager to find out Michael's role in our adventure, it appears that his contributions are upon us.  It's perplexing to align the orcas and ocean with Marntwe and the outback, but your world is interconnected in magical ways!

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Michael has definitely become one of the group.  The operatives hired by the mining company are ruthless and two of them have been neutralized, but there are more....

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great chapter, I do feel that everything is moving forward with a speed that we don't recognize yet.  I am glad that Michael is with the group for this phase but will be happy when he is back with his Orca friends on the coast.

Causing the new security chief of this team to basically flee; is going to cause a whole level of what the hell to arise.

Auntie feels something about Michael as well, I wonder what it is?

Can't wait to see what happens next.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Enquiring minds are curious about what has or is about to happen to the remainder of the overt/covert surveillance team?  Let the games seriously commence. Well done with this exciting next installment, thank you our man.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CincyKris said:

Fortunately for Corey, our guys discovered him.  Fortunately for our guys, they discovered Corey!  The international surveillance team is perhaps even more unscrupulous than Morrison.  Kieran and co. will be doing the world a favor by neutralizing them.  I've been eager to find out Michael's role in our adventure, it appears that his contributions are upon us.  It's perplexing to align the orcas and ocean with Marntwe and the outback, but your world is interconnected in magical ways!

Yes. The moment Ranevargar saw what Briggs was prepared to do he sent him packing.

'Interconnected' - aha! You've got that so right.😃

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Michael has definitely become one of the group.  The operatives hired by the mining company are ruthless and two of them have been neutralized, but there are more....

 

Michael's lovely nature resonates with all the friends and makes him fully welcome. - not that they had any choice really, after Tan's oracle moment involved him so dramatically.

Yes, there are more of these bad guys - 'nuff said.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Great chapter, I do feel that everything is moving forward with a speed that we don't recognize yet.  I am glad that Michael is with the group for this phase but will be happy when he is back with his Orca friends on the coast.

Causing the new security chief of this team to basically flee; is going to cause a whole level of what the hell to arise.

Auntie feels something about Michael as well, I wonder what it is?

Can't wait to see what happens next.

 

Thank you! 🐳

Michael goes to the Realms and blows Ranevargars' mind.

Yes, as we've heard, Morrison knows that somehow he is outclassed security-wise and is shifting tactics.

Auntie has been touched, mind body and spirit, and I guess she wants to understand how Michael fits with this.

Next? - well, next is Corey.🖥️

  • Love 2
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, Dathi said:

Enquiring minds are curious about what has or is about to happen to the remainder of the overt/covert surveillance team?  Let the games seriously commence. Well done with this exciting next installment, thank you our man.

The remnants are rendered redundant, recalled and reused. Briggs' bizarre behaviour leaves them like headless chooks.

Several of them are tasked with finding John/Brian/Corey.🖥️

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..