Jump to content
    sojourn
  • Author
  • 9,315 Words
  • 4,825 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Change of Heart - 47. Chapter 47

Thanks to Nathan
BTW, I don't speak emoji very well, so if you tagged the "anger" or the "wow" emojis just know that I haven't the faintest clue as to what specifically "wowed" you or "pissed" you off. As to the latter, it is soooo much fun guessing. So, thanks for that.
Jim

Last night had not been easy for Daniel. His initial reaction had been utter disbelief. ‘How could anyone, especially a kid, say such a thing’? Then, it was ‘how could anyone believe such a ridiculous lie. It was only after Jeff and Paul reminded him that the actual truth and verifiable facts would not be crucial elements once the accusation had been made public. The County Council would insist that he be placed on “paid leave” until this issue was resolved or until after the election. The election would be a foregone conclusion. No one was going to take a chance that they might be voting for a pedophile. Daniel would have a snowball's chance in hell of winning once this kid’s accusations were made public. The ensuing investigation could take months to resolve and cost Daniel a small fortune in legal fees.

Daniel had turned down Jeff’s offer for him to stay the night with them. He also refused the offer for them to go home with him. He appreciated the offer but he just wanted to talk to Raymond and see how best to proceed. Daniel grabbed a glass of whiskey to calm his feelings. His denial had given way to anger and was now sliding into acceptance of his current reality. Now, his mission was to coldly and clinically engage the enemy. The objective was to prevent this kid from ruining his professional and personal life.

Once Daniel had told his tale, Raymond was not a happy camper. Being in LA while his mate was in trouble in Texas was not an acceptable situation. Confronting the boy was of both, urgent and paramount importance. While Jeff was a gifted litigator, Raymond was not about to let this confrontation take place without him. He had the plane made ready for takeoff as soon as he could make it to the airport. When Daniel argued that his business shouldn’t suffer because of his personal problems. Raymond stated flatly that, “You and I no longer have ‘personal problems’ we have family problems. When it comes to problems, Family always comes first.” Raymond let his lover know that he could dictate the terms of this particular business venture. To put it bluntly, they needed money and they would happily wait a few days now that they had his word that they would soon have cash in hand.

Raymond insisted he would act as Daniel’s legal counsel. Some other element of Law Enforcement should accompany them to make it clear that Dennis Crowder could be facing criminal charges. They had immediately ruled out using any of Daniel’s current staff for obvious reasons. The local Police Chief had refused to endorse Daniel’s bid for County Sheriff and Daniel wasn’t comfortable putting his fate in the hands of that man. None of the School’s Resource officers would be involved. The Texas Rangers were likely candidates but, again, not what they needed to expedite a resolution that wouldn’t be plastered across tomorrow's headlines. Raymond explained that if another uniformed policeman was present when they confronted the kid, he would be more likely to fold. Having another cop alongside Daniel, Raymond, Coach Stephens and Seth and Gary Hines would let the kid know the odds were against his lie being substantiated to any degree of credibility. That was when Daniel said, “Bill Wilson of the Highway Patrol would be just the man for the job. He’s big and tough as nails. And he’s gay and in the closet. He, of all people, should understand the situation and the importance of discretion.”

Daniel called Bill Wilson as soon as he ended his conversation with Raymond. Bill Wilson was was familiar with the Crowder name but not the boy himself. He had been supportive of Daniel’s bid for Sheriff from the git-go. Bill was only too happy to be there during the confrontation. It was to be his day off but he would meet them at the school in full uniform and in his patrol car.

Daniel had always prided himself on his ability to get to sleep in spite of being stressed and tonight was no different. He used a ritual that allowed him to recognize the need for a warrior to well-rested before an upcoming battle. That this specific battle was not a physical confrontation that might result in injury or death did not diminish its significance nor the need to be at his best when engaging the enemy. His only acknowledgment of Raymond’s early morning arrival to their bed was to snuggle deeper into his lover’s comforting embrace.

The arrangements for the meeting had been set up by Coach Stephens to take place in his office immediately following Gary and Dennis’ gym class. He had already cleared their meeting through school administration as being a discussion concerning the possibility of some ‘voluntary coaching assistants’.

Since the kid was sixteen he could be interviewed without his Mother’s awareness or permission. If nothing came of this and Dennis followed through on his threats, Gary’s presence would be of critical importance in challenging those accusations. Thanks to Tink’s efforts during an early breakfast meeting at the diner, each man was unobtrusively wired for video and voice recording.

Gary Hines was not encouraged by Dennis’ behavior this morning. The few times he caught his eye Dennis’ simply sneered at him.

Coach Stephens came in and silently signaled the last of the stragglers to vacate the gym. Just as the day before, Gary and Dennis were the last boys in the dressing room. Dennis had stalled in getting out of the shower and was standing naked in front of Gary who was clad only in boxer briefs. Dennis, unaware of Coach Stephens presence, began, “Gary, I know you don’t want to help me with this but I don’t really have a choice either. My old man is coming to trial and if I don’t follow through he could wind up doing some hard time. I don’t really even know him but I don’t want him going to the state pen because of me. Besides, there’s enough money in this for me to finally get a car, if we pull this off. All you gotta do is just like he told me, think about doing it to someone else and just substitute that ‘loser Lovan’ in his place. I don’t want to have to ‘out’ you to the whole school but I will if you don’t back me up on this. I know you hate doing this but I got no choice and neither do you. I guess misery does love company.

“Lovan may lose the election but that’s small potatoes compared to doing seven to ten in Huntsville. That’s where they got death row. He says it’s especially bad for any white man going down there.”

Coach Stephens made his presence known, “Who’s he, Dennis”?

Just like the day before, Dennis’ emotions shifted from fear to anger and disgust. “It don’t matter to you who ‘he’ is. If you know what’s good for you-you'll keep your nose out of this and don’t mess with these people. They’re important folks around these parts and they can make sure you never work with kids like me again. You’ll be lucky if you aren’t made to register as a sex offender. That might happen to that loser Lovan. But, it’s a helluva lot better than doing hard time in Huntsville.”

As if by magic, Coach Stephens was suddenly flanked by other men. The fact that ‘loser Lovan’ was among those present made Dennis have just a very tiny bowel movement. He complexion went from an angry red to a whiter shade of pale in less than a heartbeat.

Bill Wilson spoke in a voice that echoed off the walls. “Dennis Crowder, I understand there is a reason to believe that you have been conspiring with parties unknown to bring false charges of molestation against Sheriff Daniel Lovan and Coach Charles Stephens. Those are both criminal acts in the State of Texas. Since you are over the age of sixteen it’s likely you’ll be tried as an adult and will face stiff penalties in the form of monetary fines and imprisonment in a state penal institution. Huntsville is a real possibility for when you fill out your next change of address form.” The silence was deafening.

Raymond’s phone buzzed and got everyone’s attention. After a couple of swipes, he stepped forward and showed Dennis a very clear video of him having just threatened Gary with being ‘outed’ if he didn’t agree to lie about ‘loser Lovan’. The video had not played through before the room was flooded with a noxious odor as Dennis Crowded voided his bowels.

While the silence could have been measured in seconds and fractions thereof, the reaction to Dennis’ humiliation was instantaneous. Coach Stephens grabbed the boys towel and wrapped it around him and half led, half dragged the boy to the showers. Seth Hines was the first to speak, “Get dressed son. The rest of us will meet y’all in Coach Stephens office. This is far from over.”

They made their way silently to the Coach’s office. Once inside Sergeant Wilson laconically said. “That’s not the first time I’ve scared the shit out of a man. At least this time I didn’t have to clean it out of the back seat of my patrol car.” The observation might have garnered more than a half-smile or two had it been shared under different circumstances.

While they waited, it was agreed that Raymond would proceed with the questioning from this point. The critical issues were to get the boy to identify his blackmailers, their specific threats, as well as monies already provided and promised in exchange for his cooperation. While everyone was convinced that Daniel’s political rival was responsible, they dared not suggest any name until Dennis himself pointed the finger at the guilty party.

When Coach Stephens guided Dennis Crowder into his office it was as if he was coaxing a beaten pup. The boy may have been arrogant but that was in another lifetime. Dennis clearly understood Sergeant Wilson’s threat of jail time was, in fact, a very real possibility. Raymond suspected that Coach Stephens might have softened the boy up even further while he was getting cleaned up. In any case, the boy was totally crushed.

Raymond relaxed his demeanor and softened his approach. “Dennis, no one here wants to see you go to jail. We can only agree that if you cooperate fully with this investigation that you will be treated as much like a victim as Gary or Sheriff Lovan. You did not come up with this conspiracy on your own. You were manipulated by people who have a lot to gain if they can destroy Sheriff Lovan’s chances of winning the upcoming election. We need to know who is behind this and how this all began.”

Dennis had not yet looked at anything other than his own feet, Raymond insisted, “Dennis, look at me.”

Dennis shifted his feet and sighed heavily. Finally, he raised his head and revealed an expression of utter defeat. His eyes were reddened by freshly shed and unshed tears. Raymond was convinced the boy was on the verge of a complete breakdown. It would be so easy for him to offer consolation and reassurances but he focused on what this boy/man had tried to do to the man he loved. Raymond hardened his heart.

“Dennis, the only way things are gonna get better for you from this point forward is for you to tell the complete and unvarnished truth. Do you understand”?

Dennis’ only response was a jerky nod of his head. Raymond shook his head and stressed each word as he said, “Tell me you understand and that you are going to tell the truth.” Then, he waited.

The air was filled with tension. The pregnant pause was long enough for each man present to consider how Dennis might respond. Would he hold to the original intent and insist that Daniel molested him? Would he deny any knowledge or involvement in advancing said accusations? Would he offer up some version of the truth that was so self-serving that it cast doubt on any ‘clinically factual’ information he might share?

There was a communal sigh of relief when the boy again nodded and said, “I understand. I can’t help my dad after this. I might as well get it over with. So yeah, I’ll tell you the way this all happened.”

Raymond tried to hide his elation with the aloof persona of a disinterested interrogator. “Dennis, tell me about what really happened at that Boy Scout camp last summer.”

Dennis sniffled and began, “Nothing really. I mean, I mean things did happen between me and Gary but nothing else. I barely remember Mr. Lovan being there. We just had a good time. A couple of weeks ago, just after I got off the school bus and was walking up to the house, a man pulled up beside me. He told me to get in but I told him, ‘fuck off, I don’t ride with strangers’. He told me we weren’t strangers because we had an old friend in common. That's when he told me he knew all about me and his old boss, Sheriff Johnson. I got in his car.

“He gave me a cell phone. One of the cheap kind you have to buy minutes for before you can use it. That day he told me to keep it with me and be sure to answer whenever he called me. I figured he was going to insist on having sex. He never did. The phone could get the internet so it wasn’t totally lame. He called me a few times and bought me dinner and even gave me some money. At first, it was a couple of twenties then, within a week, he gave me two hundred dollar bills. It was then he started talking about this ‘loser Lovan’. At first, I didn’t know who he meant. Then he told me about how he was the guy who went camping with us Scouts last summer and I should remember him. He showed me a picture of a campaign poster, then I knew who he was talking about. He started saying how ‘loser Lovan’ probably had sex with boys all the time like Sheriff Johnson did. Sheriff Johnson had dated my Mom for almost a year. He took me camping and we would go skinny dipping and talk about sex. He had a really big... At first, it was really different and exciting. The things we did felt really good. But, then he got to where he wasn’t gentle or even cared if I had a good time. Finally, when he got too rough, I told him he would have to be not so rough, he quit coming around for a few weeks. I think he thought it would teach me a lesson. But, I got together with Gary and it was so much better with him I didn’t care if I ever saw Sheriff Johnson again. I guess he got the message because he broke up with my Mother and quit coming around.

“Mr. Jones said there was videos of me and Sheriff Johnson doing stuff. He said there was a video of me on my knees and then on my hands and knees. I don’t remember ever seeing a camera but it sounded like some of the stuff we did together. I never asked to see the videos. I didn’t want to think about them. Then, Mr. Jones said he needed me to do the right thing and get Mr. Lovan away from having sex with boys like Sheriff Johnson did. If I told the cops ‘loser Lovan’ made me suck his dick like Sheriff Johnson made me, it would be helping some other kid to keep from getting fucked by another pervert like Johnson. I told him I kind of liked what the Sheriff and I did up until he started getting rough. That really made him angry. He said all men who did that to boys my age were perverts and deserved whatever came to them. He said ‘loser Lovan’ was at least as rough as the Sheriff and if I wasn’t willing to help good people do right, then maybe he should show some of my classmates the videos. I begged him to destroy the videos. He said he would but only if I helped in a good cause. Then he said that the good folks that were doing this was ‘well-heeled’. I didn’t know what that meant and he said it meant they had lots of money and were willing to help me get a car if I helped them with this. I asked what kind of car and Mr. Jones said ‘any kind of car $10,000 can buy.” Dennis looked at his feet again. He didn’t quite understand why he should feel embarrassed but he sure did.

Every man present was taken aback by the idea that Jones had promised this kid who probably never held a hundred dollars in his hand a lump sum of $10,000. Raymond tried to imagine how he would have reacted had someone offered him such a princely sum when he was still sixteen. He didn’t want to explore that thought too much. Instead, he encouraged Dennis to continue. “When did he tell you that you would get the money?”.

“You mean when did he first offer the money or when did he say he would hand it over?”.

“When did he say he would hand it over?”.

“He said I would get the money the same day I told my story to the police. He said he just had to personally verify that the story was being spread around.”

Bill Wilson had been pretty much just observing up until this point. He leaned over and whispered into Daniel’s ear. Daniel listened for a moment and touched Raymond’s arm to get his attention. When Raymond looked at his mate, Daniel said, “Sergeant Wilson would like to talk to us outside for a moment.”

Once the three men stepped outside the office and closed the door, Dennis looked at Gary, “I guess you hate me now for sure. I’m sorry I tried to get you involved. It didn’t sound so bad when Jones was telling me how simple and right it was. Helping my Dad was important and that money wasn’t to be for a car, it would have helped us move to California together. He only started spending time with me a few months ago. Maw always hated him. Grandpa never would let him set foot on the place. I don’t know what happened to him but he tried to talk to me and actually took some interest in how I was doing in school and about my plans. He has a friend in California who has a ranch and offered to give him a job. He wanted me to go with him. Then he got in some trouble at a bar with one of his brothers and, well, now he has to go to court and Jones promised to get him off or send him to Huntsville, depending on how helpful I was. I’m sorry Gary. I guess I haven’t been much of a friend to you, especially lately.”

Gary glanced into his own father’s eyes and thought about how the man had been with him and guided him through all his years. He couldn’t imagine a life without his Dad being involved. Sometimes his Mom and Dad got downright nosey. But, he would be hurting without them in his life. Looking back at Dennis, he said, “Dennis, I can’t say that I understand why you didn’t just ask for help. Maybe, you didn’t feel like people would help you because of… well, people don’t care near as much as you make out they do. Maybe going to California would be a good thing for you. To be where people just know you and your father as the new guys in town instead of a couple of the ‘Crowder boys’. I can’t say that I’m ready to think of you as my friend after the threats and meanness and all. But, I sure hope things work out for you better than they would if you were known as the one who lied about Sheriff Lovan. Cause, Dennis, your lies would have been found out. Not only would you have ruined a good man’s life but you would have been tarnished much worse when the truth came out. I really hope you make it to California and do well there.”

When Raymond, Daniel, and Sergeant Wilson returned the heavy pall that hung about the room was obvious. Gary looked questioningly at his Dad and got a nod in return. He addressed Daniel, “Sheriff Lovan, I think me and Dad have done what we could here in this situation. I don't’ feel much like being here right now and I think Dad agrees. I’m thinking I’ll play Senior Skip Day a little early and go on home. Or maybe Dad and I could get Mom to meet us at the Diner for lunch. What'd Ya say, old man”?

Seth smiled lovingly at his firstborn. “I think your Mother would be more than happy to have lunch with us. Just so we understand each other, son, we both know your real motivation is a Double Decker Cheeseburger Deluxe with a double order of fries followed by a huge slice of warm peach pie melting a double scoop of vanilla ice cream… Damn, if that don’t sound just like heaven to me too right now. Let’s go, son. We’ll call your Momma on the way.”

Dennis seemed to be even lower after having witnessed such a positive, loving, and more importantly, an accepting exchange between father and son. If his day could have gotten worse it would have from having been reminded that his own father might never accept a ‘gay’ son. To Dennis, the whole idea of having a father figure that was actually his real father was a recent concept. His biological father had only made his presence known a couple of months ago. When his Dad mentioned them moving to California Dennis knew he had to come out to his father before they could live together. He just hoped the man could accept having a gay son.

After Seth and Gary left, Sergeant Wilson addressed Dennis, “Mr. Crowder, we have decided to allow you to collect your money. We’ve come up with a plan that will put you in the clear while completely ensnaring Mr. Jones. We want you to make your accusation to a Texas Ranger in the presence of Mr. Jones. You’re going to tell Mr. Jones that Gary has folded and will back up your story but only if the police ask him. You’re going to tell Mr. Jones that you’re scared and need him to go with you to see the Texas Rangers. The Rangers will already know about the lies you’ll be telling so you won’t be seriously challenged. Do you think you can get Mr. Jones to go with you”?

“I’m not sure. Every time we’ve met it’s been after he called me. I never wanted to talk to him so I’ve never called him. I guess I could tell him the School Resource Officer set it up for me. He’s been pushing me to call the cops for almost a week. Where should I tell him to meet me”?

Raymond spoke up, “We can set the meeting up at the diner. We can say you were too scared to go to any official police station. Just say your Resource Officer set the meeting up there so you would feel more relaxed.”

Dennis thought for a moment and said, “I can do that. He knows part of my concern was being close to too many cops… no offense Sheriff.” The kid’s sudden concern for offending Daniel seemed a complete incongruity in light of the reason for their meeting. Daniel just shrugged.

Raymond asked, “Daniel, do you think we could get this set up for right after school today? I can get Miss Julie to let us set up recording equipment in a back room at the diner.”

Daniel didn’t hesitate, “Absolutely. The Ranger I’ll be contacting is one who filed an official complaint against Jones when he was still a Deputy. I don’t think his opinion has improved any since then. Let me make a call and see if he’s available. I’m not sure he’ll be able to make it today but we can try. I damn sure want this resolved quickly.” For the first time, Dennis saw a look on the Sheriff’s face that spoke of how hard the man could be. Dennis was glad he was not trying to lie to this man, much less tell lies about him.

Daniel made the call and once Ranger Young understood the situation he agreed to drive down immediately. He insisted that he would bring his partner and both would wear body cams the whole time and whatever the cameras and microphones revealed would be considered evidence. Daniel assured the man he had nothing to hide. Ranger Young said he didn’t doubt that but everybody said that as Daniel well knew.

Getting Jones to agree to stand by Dennis as he told his tale was much easier than anyone anticipated. Apparently, the man wanted to gloat at his rivals assured, imminent, downfall. This would be his moment of victory. There would only be a pretense at an election, Jones would win in a literal landslide. Once a frightened, worried, boy told his tale of being forced to humiliate himself before the big man, the big man would fall, ‘big time’ and it would all be thanks to Marjorie’s not so ‘little’ boy, Johnny Jones.

His only stipulation was that Dennis rehearse one last time with the two of them alone in his car. They agreed to meet just outside the school grounds after the last bell. Jones would give Dennis a ride home after the meeting. He even agreed, at Dennis’ insistence, to have the cash ready when they met and would hand it over immediately after it was clear the Rangers were proceeding with an investigation.

A quick call to Tink and Dennis was equipped with a fashionable leather choker that held a video/audio/location transmitting device. Unless it was taken off and examined closely it appeared to be just a remnant of a Boy Scout summer camp, leatherworking merit badge. Once Tink had trimmed down and custom fitted the choker, Raymond insisted that everyone carry on with their daily routine. Dennis went to class with a note from Coach Stephens. Raymond and Daniel left for their respective offices and Bill Wilson took care of chores as he would on any day off. If all went according to plan, Bill would be back in uniform and among the arresting officers later that day.

Daniel was apprehensive and explored all the things that might go wrong. Raymond distracted him by insisting they have lunch, as usual, at the diner. When they arrived, Seth was leading his family out the door. Seth patted his belly and told Daniel, “Sometimes a healthy diet just doesn’t cut it. ” At this, he gave a faux accusing glare at his wife. “A man can survive on leafy greens, fish, and chicken breasts for only so long. A greasy cheeseburger and french fries is pert high on my list of comfort foods.”

His wife returned his playful banter with, “You better have enjoyed that. Cause after that remark, it’ll be a long time before I’ll let you sneak off to the diner behind my back like you been doing at least once a week.” Seth looked crestfallen as he realized his “secret” lunches at the diner weren’t so secret after all. He looked questioningly at his son. “Don’t look at me Dad. I’d never spoil a good thing. You brought me along enough for me to keep quiet about eating here. Mom, never asked and I never told.”

Mrs. Hines looked sternly at her husband and her son. “Well, both of you got some making up to do for trying to keep these excursions from me. The least you could have done was to have asked me to come along. My menu is intended to keep us all healthy. Eating out may be against what I’m trying to do for my family. But, it also means I don’t have to cook and I don’t have to clean up. Maybe we should discuss the family menu and eating out more often, when we get home.”

Raymond and Daniel walked in the diner chuckling at the bit of family dynamics they had just witnessed. Miss Julie met them at the door. “Well, I swanny, you two are a sight for sore eyes. I was at a loss as to whether to keep your table open for lunch today. But, I see y’all got Dennis all squared away. Tink and his boys have been working for a bit in the back room where the meeting will take place. I told Tink and his crowd to have lunch on our soon to be billionaire Sheriff. I figured you could pick up the tab and worry about what I said over your iced tea. Have a seat at ‘your’ table and I’ll have your lunch out in a couple of minutes.”

Daniel sputtered at several elements in Miss Julie’s greeting. The only challenge that actually found his voice was, “But, we haven’t ordered yet.”

Miss Julie pulled back and twisted her head like a hen taking aim at a juicy worm. “Daniel Lovan, as an officer of the law you of all people should realize we humans are creatures of habit. Considering your mate has been gone for a couple of days, I figure this is the first day of your week. On the first and second day of the week, you both order the exact same thing. First, it’s a grilled chicken caesar salad. The second day, you both order the meatloaf special with mashed potatoes and gravy and succotash. On the third day, you each order from the menu making sure to order something different so you don’t seem to like too many of the same things. On the fourth day, you have meatloaf and Raymond here has the grilled chicken Caesar salad again. On the fifth day, you both order pork chops with applesauce, mac n cheese, and succotash. Then on the first day of the week, you two start over. Habits, they mean just one less thing we have to think about in our daily lives. Let’s face it, who wants to spend time contemplating our next meal. It’s not like you have to go out hunting, stalk it, kill it, gut it, skin it, build a fire, and then cook it. Today, I did all that, just for you.”

Aside from having found Miss Julie’s vivid account of ‘olden’ days slightly off-putting, Daniel wanted to be pissed at the idea that he was predictable. It seemed that anytime Miss Julie said something that might be significant she added on some innocuous bit of trivia to sidetrack him from concentrating on what he had just learned. He would have to consider this notion further but suddenly the idea of a grilled chicken salad seemed very appealing. It would not weigh him down and the Caesar salad dressing Miss Julie had was the best anywhere. Before he could say anything Miss Julie had turned and headed for the kitchen and Raymond was heading for their table.

Once seated, Daniel asked, “Do you ever think there might be something off about that woman?”.

Raymond smiled as a server brought their iced tea. “Not at all. I think most women try to watch what their family eats. Even my mother disapproved of too many sweets. But, then she disapproved of just about everything.”

For a moment, Daniel was confused. “No, no, I was talking about Miss Julie. Doesn’t she seem to sometimes say weird things”?

Raymond chuckled, “Does the Pope wear a dress? Of course, she says weird things. That’s just Miss Julie. You won’t find a more decent, well-intentioned, human being anywhere. She has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. I can honestly say that I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been back in town and not visited the diner. Come to think of it, I’d have a couple of fingers left over. She means a lot to me.

“If you listen carefully to what she says there’s always something that’s personally relevant, encouraging, and meant just for you. Of course, I find most of her advice coming back to me after the fact rather than at the moment it becomes significant. Still, I try to be attentive and trust her guidance. After all, it was she who told us about Raymond Cargill Adams Junior and now he’s on his way.”

Daniel raised a doubting eyebrow. “Did you believe her when she said it? I’d forgotten all about her having made that remark until you just mentioned it. Are you going to take her word that the baby is a boy”?

Raymond scanned Daniel’s face. “Let’s put it this way. Miss Julie got me taken in by Uncle Joe and Aunt Mellie. She made me feel like I had family here when my own mother never did. She has advised me at times that were crucial to my personal safety and emotional well-being. She encouraged me to go after you even after I had really screwed things up between us. As to our Son, we might not be buying anything blue for a while but you can bet I won’t even consider anything pink until I look between the baby’s legs. Surely you’ve heard? I mean, living here you must have had dealings with her when you were growing up here?”.

Daniel shrugged, “I still think she says weird stuff.” Even to Daniels own ears, that remark sounded more like an adolescent than a seasoned lawman. Daniel’s memory flashed back to his youth, to a day when, with friends, he had stopped for ice cream and his buddies wanted to get into some mischief. Miss Julie had said something that made him go home instead. His friends made fun of him until they had to appear in court after being caught vandalizing private property. Suddenly, Daniel felt a little more appreciative of Miss Julie and a whole lot less adolescent.

In spite of his strongest objections, Daniel found himself in Raymond’s Tesla along with Tink and Raymond’s two, ubiquitous, bodyguards. He was pleased to realize that the choker cam was working just fine and he was impressed that it allowed for two way communication. Once Dennis was outside the school grounds and Jones was pulling up in a shiny, obviously new, SUV, Tink disabled the speaker on the choker so nothing could be heard that was not intentional.

The conversation in the SUV was what was to be expected. Jones pulled into the Walmart parking lot and turned to face Dennis. “Okay kid, here’s the thing. You got one shot at this and you better make it good or there’s no cash, your old man does some serious hard time and I will personally kick your ass from here to Abilene. I mean, I will leave marks on your face that will never heal. You’ll know pain more severe than all the drunks put together that I’ve happily beat the hell out of just for interrupting my evening nap. Some of those guys spent weeks in the hospital. You, kid, may not be so lucky... if you catch my drift.”

Jones stared silently at Dennis, making sure that what he had threatened was crystal clear.

Dennis gulped and with a sincere quake in his voice stuttered, “Ye, ye, yes, yes sir.”

Jones offered a smile that made no attempt at appearing to be sincere. “Good. Now, to show you my heart is in the right place and that the folks appreciate you’re doing the right thing here, take a gander at this. Jones extracted a bundle of cash from the inside pocket of his jacket. He held it out to show Dennis the label read $10,000. Jones fanned through the bills to show they were the real deal. “Kid, you do the right thing and in a few minutes, this will be all yours. Just make sure you hold onto it for a bit before you buy your car. You’ve waited a while now, a couple of weeks won’t make much difference. If you suddenly show up at school in new wheels folks are gonna start asking questions. We don’t want that, now, do we?”.

This time Dennis just shook his head.

Dennis spent this time with Jones rehearsing answers to questions that he figured the Rangers would ask. Jones was pleased and even complimented Dennis on the emotions that showed up as the boy was questioned. Satisfied at last, Jones headed for the diner.

It occurred to Dennis that he wasn’t cut out for a life of crime. His bowels seemed to indicate he would have to excuse himself in mid-holdup to take an urgent dump. As soon as they entered the diner parking lot Dennis let Jones know of his need. Jones said he would wait outside the men’s room just in case Dennis got an urge for his feet to run like his bowels needed to. Dennis was only wishing his choker had an on/off switch. He needed to go bad enough so that even with the possibility of being watched, he didn’t hesitate. After having seen him shit himself this morning this afternoon would offer nothing new.

When Dennis exited the men’s room he found Jones in the company of a uniformed, middle-aged, bleach blonde, waitress. She had been saying something to Jones that the man found less than pleasant. She turned to Dennis and smiled in a way that he thought was the way mother’s smiled at children with whom they were well pleased. Miss Julie draped an arm across the young man’s shoulder. “Now, Dennis, I’m nobody’s Mamma but if I was, I’d like to think that my son would be someone just like you. Not perfect, but someone who tries hard to be a good person, inside. Those Rangers are waiting for you, so go in and tell them just like you practiced and everything will be just fine. The next time you come in I’ll have a freshly baked strawberry pie just waiting to be sliced for you and your Daddy.”

Jones snarled at the ‘just like you practiced’ remark. Miss Julie ignored him, turned her back to the man, and said, “Follow me.”

Dennis was surprised that the Rangers were not challenging his story but simply asked the same questions that Jones had asked in practice. He did notice that both men seemed to question Jones presence. Jones had introduced himself as, “A friend of the family. Just looking out for the boy’s interests.” It was clear to Dennis that these two didn’t hold Jones in any sort of ‘high regard’. They both made their disdain obvious.

Before he knew it Dennis was back in the SUV with Jones heading for his Mother’s house. Once they were outside of town and heading to the ranch, Dennis asked, “So what about what you promised?”.

Jones snorted, reached inside his jacket and pulled out the money. “Kid, you are a natural born whore. If I wasn’t straight, I’d look for someone like you to keep my pecker happy. Too bad for you, I like pussy. But, I’ll keep you in mind if I run across someone who might think I was doing them a favor by introducing the two of you.” With that, he tossed the bundle into Dennis’ lap.

Dennis fumbled but captured the bundle. Chagrined, he offered, “Thanks for this but I was asking about my Dad. When is he going to be released?”.

“Kid, I still got influence at the county jail. Your old man will be seeing daylight tomorrow afternoon at the latest. Just be sure you don’t let on that you had anything to do with the charges being dropped.”

Dennis thought it strange that he was getting exactly what Jones had promised without destroying a good man’s life. His meeting with Sheriff Lovan made it all too clear the man was just as Dennis had remembered, strong, friendly, self-assured. A man with real integrity. He wished his own Dad could be such a man. Maybe in California, he could be.

They were not even halfway home when flashing lights and sirens came screaming up behind them. Jones glanced down at his speedometer, muttered, “Well, fuck me”, and then tried in vain to recognize the unmarked patrol car. There was no doubt they wanted Jones to pull over. So he did. It never occurred to him that he wouldn’t be on his way as soon as he identified himself as the next County Sheriff. To show how professional he was, he pulled out his new registration and his driver’s license. He would be the picture of ‘cooperation’.

The Ranger that stepped out of the unmarked patrol car was not someone Jones recognized. He would have been surprised and really pissed if it had been one of the two smug bastards that interviewed the kid. The Ranger stepped up beside the SUV and spoke through the rolled down window, “I need you to step out of the vehicle, sir.”

Jones was shocked. “What’s the problem Ranger?…” Looking down at the nametag Jones added, “Ranger Bedford.”

“Just step out of the car, sir.”

Jones opened the door and began, “Do you recognize me? I’m gonna be the next Sheriff of this county. I need to know what this is all about. I’m sure we can clear this up without involving your superiors.”

Ranger Bedford ignored Jones. “Turn around and put your hands on the vehicle. Are you armed or have any dangerous weapons on your person or in your vehicle?”

Jones, still the epitome of cooperation, turned and placed his hands on his vehicle. “Ranger Bedford, if you just make a call we can clear this up right away.” It was at this point that Jones noticed that Ranger Bedford was working with a partner who had his hand on his sidearm in a very ‘ready posture’. The light was beginning to illuminate within Jones' brain. Something was going terribly wrong.

Ranger Bedford hadn’t responded, he began patting Jones down and relieved him of a waistband holster and an ankle holster. Both guns were loaded and with rounds chambered. Luckily for him, Jones realization was slow in forming. Ranger Bedford breathed an audible sigh of relief once he had Jones handcuffed. His partner approached Dennis’ side of the vehicle and tapped on the window. Once Dennis lowered the window the Ranger simply asked, “Are you okay”? Dennis nodded affirmatively. The Ranger then said, “Good. Just wait here until someone comes to get you. Don’t get out of the vehicle until you’re told to do so.” He didn’t wait for a response before turning his attention to his partner.

Meanwhile on the other side of the vehicle Ranger Bedford was addressing his prisoner, “Mr. Jones you are under arrest for conspiracy to commit slander and false imprisonment and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, child endangerment, aiding and abetting sexual assault against a youth under the age of fourteen and failure to report such abuse. You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney during any questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed by the court. Do you understand your rights, Mr. Jones?”.

Jones exploded, “What the fuck do you mean, I’m under arrest! That piece of shit Lovan is the one you should be arresting. He forced the kid to suck his cock, not me. I ain’t no fag. You got the wrong man! I’m innocent I tell ya.” At this point, the Rangers exchanged a look and burst out laughing. It was too funny that a career law enforcement officer would run through the most common cliches they encountered when a ‘solid citizen’ was confronted with the inconceivable notion of his/her being arrested.

Dennis had been watching quietly from the passenger seat. Before the Rangers had Jones in the back seat of the patrol car, two other cop cars with flashing lights pulled up behind their patrol car. Sheriff Lovan got out of one and the tall State Trooper, Sergeant Wilson, got out of the other.

Both men approached his door. Sheriff Lovan spoke first, “You okay Dennis?”.

Dennis wasn’t sure what was going on. He half expected to be arrested right along with Jones. People didn’t generally care if Dennis Crowder was ‘okay’, now two had asked within five minutes. When he looked up into the Sheriff’s face he saw the man was actually concerned about how he was handling the situation. “I’m okay.” He took the bundle of cash from between his legs and handed it to the Sheriff. Daniel passed it on to Sergeant Wilson who proceeded to count out the money to verify it was indeed $10,000.

Daniel looked back at the still irate Jones obviously trying to convince the Rangers of his innocence. Daniel could hear a word or two as the man yelled about how there was going to be payback once this mess was cleared up. One Ranger was entering data into the computer while the other was on the radio. Neither man paid Jones the least bit of attention. Daniel turned back to Dennis. “Do we need to let your folks know where you are and that you’re okay?”.

“Naw, uh, no Sir.” Dennis looked down at his hands laying in his lap. My mother is probably down at the church doing something to guarantee her a spot in heaven. She’s way too busy with ‘the Lord’s work’ to worry about her ‘misbegotten issue’. Grandpa’s still at work and likely will be until nine o’clock or so. He just eats whatever Mom leaves out for him and goes to bed. He’s really busy at the ranch lately. I mostly take care of myself.” Looking up to meet Daniel’s eyes, Dennis asked, “What about my Dad? Mr. Jones said the charges would be dropped and he would be free tomorrow. We talked about moving to California so he could work on a friend’s ranch. It’d be a fresh start for both of us. I think grandpa would be okay with it and Mom would likely be glad to see the last of me.”

“I hate to say this but your Dad is in jail for no reason. Seems like the bar owner was in yesterday stating that your father tried to prevent a fight his brother insisted on starting. The fellow who your Uncle attacked verified that your father was dragging your Uncle away when your Uncle sucker punched him and proceeded to break this other fellows jaw. Your Dad should never have been locked up. I think the initial mistake is understandable given your Dad’s arrest record. His being kept even after the bartender came to the jail and swore he was innocent is something I have to investigate. I suspect Jones may have some cronies at the jail still looking out for his interests.”

Dennis nodded and said, “Mr. Jones said he had some connections or something like that. He was certain he could get my Dad out by tomorrow at the latest.”

“Well, Son, I think it wasn’t that he could get your Dad out of jail, it was more like he couldn’t keep in him ‘in jail’ after tomorrow. That’s why I have to find out who did this and if it was an honest mistake or if someone intentionally kept an innocent man locked up.

“In any case, your Dad should be out now. I’ve asked that they take him to the diner and have him wait there for you. I figured he’s seen all the county facilities he can stand for a while. Miss Julie knows to feed him good and to bill me for it.”

“Thanks, Sheriff. I guess my Dad will have heard what this is all about by now. I was gonna come out to him before we headed out to California so if he didn’t want a gay son he could go out there alone. I hate to think about what my mother will say. It goes against everything she says she believes in but I think she just wants to be part of the crowd and says a lot of stuff to just fit in, kind of like the kids at school. She sure don’t live like she believes in any of the ‘love thy neighbor as thyself’ kind of stuff. She hates all minorities. She insists that Jesus was a white man who just happened to have had long hair only because barbers weren’t available and he wore sandals because those were the only shoes available. I once made the mistake of saying he dressed like a transvestite and she grounded me for a month. She’s convinced that saying that was enough to guarantee me a seat in hell. I guess her bad mouthing our neighbors is allowed. Anyway, I still haven’t figured out how my Dad talked her into having sex the one time I was made. She seems so dead set against the whole idea of sex. She warned me that I would go blind or go insane if I played with myself. That was when I was nine. If she knew I was gay she’d probably send me to some ‘pray the gay away’ camp or just kick me out. It makes me thankful that her church doesn’t go in for human sacrifice, yet.”

Dennis released a heavy sigh and looked around as though he was surprised he had talked as freely as he had. He had never told anyone some of the things he had just shared.

Daniel felt an affinity for Dennis’s situation. It was almost a tale Raymond could have told. They both had strong-willed, ultra-religious mothers, and absentee fathers. Although, Raymond would have certainly envied Dennis for still having his father, even if he was showing up 16 years late. Daniel vowed to have a heart-to-heart with Dennis’ father.

To maintain the integrity of the investigation Daniel was never alone with Dennis. When the convoy of legal vehicles headed back to town, Dennis rode in the front seat of Sergeant Wilson’s patrol car. He even got to turn on the flashing lights and the really obnoxious low pitched squawking siren. Once Dennis had given his statement and was allowed to leave, Raymond drove him over to the diner where the boy's father was waiting.

When they pulled into the parking lot, Raymond had the guards step outside while he spoke to Dennis alone. Dennis was a bit nervous since he had thought his troubles were pretty much over.

Raymond noted the concerned look and tried to calm the boy, “Dennis, you have nothing to worry about. You did the right thing and Jones will be in jail and never be a law enforcement officer again. He’ll find it hard doing time because no convict likes a former cop. They just don’t get along very well. You have a lot to look forward to. Your Dad has a job lined up with a ranch in California that is looking forward to his arrival. There’s a furnished house waiting and a part-time job for you if you want. Daniel, that is, Sheriff Lovan and I thought you deserved the money Jones was going to pay you. It’ll help you get a car. Once you finish high school a very low-interest loan will be arranged by the ranch to help you earn your degree. I think you’ll find the payment plan very appealing.” With that Raymond handed over a packet very similar to the one that Jones had given Dennis only hours before. Raymond turned and got out of the SUV. “Your Dad is inside waiting for you with some good news about California. Try to act surprised when he tells you all the details I just shared. Dennis didn’t say anything, he just turned and started walking toward the diner’s entrance. Suddenly he turned and ran back to Raymond and threw himself into a crushing embrace. Raymond patted the boy on the back as the kid clung to him. Shortly, Dennis released his grip on the big man and silently headed to the diner, to a much brighter future, and of course, to a slice of freshly baked strawberry pie.

Raymond felt somewhat nostalgic as he watched the lonely teenager head into the diner. He shook his head to clear the memories from a lifetime ago. He called the guards back over and they headed for home. He could foresee a long, drawn out, evening for Daniel. He texted his love and told his mate he would see him when he got home. He would ask Runt to leave his dinner warming in the oven.

By the time Raymond got home the news was already being broadcast that the Republican candidate for County Sheriff had been arrested on charges of conspiracy, aiding and abetting sexual congress with a child under fourteen, child endangerment and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Even to Raymond’s professional eye, it appeared that the news was saying that Jones had molested some kid under the age of fourteen. Already the local Republicans were calling for a delay on the upcoming election.

Daniel came in at just past ten. Raymond was not surprised to learn that Jones lawyer, Sam McMurtry, had found a judge to set bail and Jones was again a free man. McMurtry had refused to answer questions as they exited the County Jail. He had said only that a press conference would be held the following morning at a time and place to be announced after he had time to discuss these ridiculous, unfounded, and obviously politically motivated allegations with his innocent client.

It had been a busy day and Daniel was exhausted. His emotions had peaked early and kept elevating until it was clear that the case against Jones was rock solid. After a bite to eat they stripped off and lay together in bed just holding each other without words. Eventually, Raymond began massaging his lover’s tight muscles without, even once, allowing his raging hard-on to make contact with his lover’s skin. Daniel fell into a blissful sleep that Raymond envied even after he had quietly jacked off in the bathroom.

Whether sleep came in a blissful fog or in a slow surrender, both men were awakened by the ungodly ringing of Daniel’s phone at 4:15 AM. The Deputy on the other end had some disturbing news. The local police had been called to what turned out to be Jones’ apartment. The door was standing open and Jones had been found dead on his kitchen floor. He was naked, with his hands and feet bound together. His genitals had been severed, stuffed into his mouth, and his throat had been cut. The coroner had advised the Deputy that blood patterns indicated the severed penis and testicles had most likely been cut off sometime before the final killing stroke that almost severed the victims head.

If I failed to offend anyone with this chapter, I apologize. The next one is coming up in a couple of days, so take hart haters. I shall return.

Thanks again to Nathan and Ranger, the Wonder Dawg.
Copyright © 2017 sojourn; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 45
  • Love 10
  • Wow 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I honestly hope everything works our for Dennis and his father.  Have to wonder if whomever got to Jones did so as punishment or to shut him up; since someone was obviously backing him in his run and probably did not want that to come out.  Well written and the pacing was excellent on this chapter.  What a truly horrible way to be tortured and killed, whatever gave you the idea for that???

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, at least Dennis saw the light. Makes you wonder what Jones is going to dream up as a reason. Interesting times ahead I think. Excellent story. thanks again

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Omg I died laughing when Dennis shit himself! He might need to see a doctor about that problem. Now who killed jones? My money is on Mr. Crowder for trying to corrupt his son. You failed to offend me but instead entertained me. Shame on you!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

It is amazing how Karma strikes so accurately. I sincerely hope Karma's instrument had the wit and wherewithall to make them self/ves untraceable and all relevant people have cast iron alibis

 

Dennis sem to be a classic case of a child that has been encouranged not to communicate anything at any time. Very sad and a lesson that takes so long to get over. His mothers religion in this case seems to have been a major problem. And people wonder why others hate organised religion so much.

 

Great read. Thanks.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I sincerely hope that Dennis' father had nothing to do with the demise of Jones.  As far as the judge who let Jones out on bail so quickly, maybe he needs investigating...

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm glad things seem to be working out for Daniel.  As for Jones, it seems to me he got what he deserve.  As for who did it, I suspect it was arranged by someone from his side in order to make sure he wouldn't take anyone else down with him.   While Mr. Crowder was suggested, I don't think he could jeopardize his second chance with his son. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

"You and I no longer have 'personal problems' we have family problems.  When it comes to problems, Family comes first"

My favorite line of the chapter. 😊

I hope Dennis and his Dad get a fresh start in California, both in their parent/child relationship and as something other than "those no good Crowders"

Being that Jones was a puppet to begin with, I'm inclined to think someone from his camp put him down to shut him up.  I don't think the danger to Daniel's career or life is over yet.  Thank goodness for the fortress known as Adams' security, tho it only takes one small opening to a very determined foe.

Oh, and I'm one of the "wows" at the end of the chapter.  😉

 

Edited by FanLit
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, tinytoes said:

The wow was for the last paragraph. 

Thank you for explaining.  I actually had second thoughts about the method of his demise but Nathan told me he thought it expanded the possibilities as to whodunit.   So, I left it as is.

Thanks for posting your comments.

Jim

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

I honestly hope everything works our for Dennis and his father.  Have to wonder if whomever got to Jones did so as punishment or to shut him up; since someone was obviously backing him in his run and probably did not want that to come out.  Well written and the pacing was excellent on this chapter.  What a truly horrible way to be tortured and killed, whatever gave you the idea for that???

Thank you for those kind words.  This was not an easy chapter to write so your comments are especially welcome.  

I think an honest answer would be too revealing as to the perpetrator.  If asked after all is revealed I will be happy to share my thought processes.

Thanks again,

Jim

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Another great chapter. It is sad how a young man can be manipulated into lying to crush an honest man, and the sob behind it thinks it is ok and just politics. It is to bad Jones got what he deserved, yet it would have been better if he had gone to prison. But then you do like these little twists. It is almost like 45 was involved in the set up.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Amazing chapter. Since the start of this story, I have loved how detailed you are with every conversation, and this chapter is just perfect. Can't wait for what's coming. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Canuk said:

It is amazing how Karma strikes so accurately. I sincerely hope Karma's instrument had the wit and wherewithall to make them self/ves untraceable and all relevant people have cast iron alibis

 

Dennis sem to be a classic case of a child that has been encouranged not to communicate anything at any time. Very sad and a lesson that takes so long to get over. His mothers religion in this case seems to have been a major problem. And people wonder why others hate organised religion so much.

 

Great read. Thanks.

 

Thank you for your kind words. I especially like the way your comments give Dennis a depth that I strive to give all my my characters.  Dennis  was conceived to be exactly as he initially presented, shallow and totally self serving, the stereotypical “Crowder”.  Then I asked myself, what made him that way?  Low and behold Dennis turned out to be surprisingly sympathetic.  Even his father is trying to challenge the role “society” has decided he must play.  I wish them both the best of luck. 

We have not seen the last of either of them.

Thanks again,

Jim

  • Like 4
Link to comment
16 hours ago, avidreadr said:

I'm glad things seem to be working out for Daniel.  As for Jones, it seems to me he got what he deserve.  As for who did it, I suspect it was arranged by someone from his side in order to make sure he wouldn't take anyone else down with him.   While Mr. Crowder was suggested, I don't think he could jeopardize his second chance with his son. 

I am not sure what it was but Dennis’ father recently had a “cathartic” experience which made him want to change past behaviors and to reach out to his son.  This he did in spite of his own family’s objections, the boy’s mother, her family, and the community at large.

I wish him luck. (But, he is still a suspect.)

Thanks for your comments.

Jim

  • Like 2
Link to comment

That makes two positive “Wows”.  I’m on a roll.  Thank you for explaining the “WOW”.

 

All you say is too true.  I like the fact that Dennis has people rooting for him even after his inauspicious introduction and his lousy attitude.  

The most dangerous adversary is a “determined foe”. You can expect to see that sentiment again, so thanks for that.

But, what really made my day was your quoting the “Family Problems” line.  It was my favorite line also.

Thanks again,

Jim

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, charlie lytle said:

Another great chapter. It is sad how a young man can be manipulated into lying to crush an honest man, and the sob behind it thinks it is ok and just politics. It is to bad Jones got what he deserved, yet it would have been better if he had gone to prison. But then you do like these little twists. It is almost like 45 was involved in the set up.

I agree, nothing is sacred in politics except winning.  Then they act as though they were, “just doing their job”.

I know I’m going to feel soooo stupid for asking but what did you mean by,  “It is almost like 45 was involved in the set up”?

Jim

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, chonga said:

Amazing chapter. Since the start of this story, I have loved how detailed you are with every conversation, and this chapter is just perfect. Can't wait for what's coming. 

Thank you.  I worry sometimes that I get “too deep into the weeds”.  I find it unrealistic to have folks engage in a conversation that sounds like someone had said, “just the facts Ma’am”.  Besides, I sometimes have characters reappear later in the story and it just seems they have more depth if they have already shared something of themselves.

Thanks for sharing your comments.

Jim

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, FanLit said:

"You and I no longer have 'personal problems' we have family problems.  When it comes to problems, Family comes first"

My favorite line of the chapter. 😊

I hope Dennis and his Dad get a fresh start in California, both in their parent/child relationship and as something other than "those no good Crowders"

Being that Jones was a puppet to begin with, I'm inclined to think someone from his camp put him down to shut him up.  I don't think the danger to Daniel's career or life is over yet.  Thank goodness for the fortress known as Adams' security, tho it only takes one small opening to a very determined foe.

Oh, and I'm one of the "wows" at the end of the chapter.  😉

 

(Initially, I some how posted this as a stand-alone comment. Sorry.)

 

That makes two positive “Wows”.  I’m on a roll.  Thank you for explaining the “WOW”.

 

All you say is too true.  I like the fact that Dennis has people rooting for him even after his inauspicious introduction and his lousy attitude.  

The most dangerous adversary is a “determined foe”. You can expect to see that sentiment again, so thanks for that.

But, what really made my day was your quoting the “Family Problems” line.  It was my favorite line also.

Thanks again,

Jim

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, sojourn said:

I agree, nothing is sacred in politics except winning.  Then they act as though they were, “just doing their job”.

I know I’m going to feel soooo stupid for asking but what did you mean by,  “It is almost like 45 was involved in the set up”?

Jim

 

Link to comment

Well I'm my opinion 45 seems to have a role in the cover ups that have taken place, but seems to be so remote from the event. Let's say 130000 dollars to Stormy that he "knew nothing about"

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ok, I am offended LOL, Now offend me some more with another chapter. Great work!!!!! Keep it up, I really do love this story.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Wow for the whole chapter!  That was amazing and the ending was absolutely fitting.  I like the gruesomeness :yes: Jones deserved it and i can't wait to find out who the perpetrator is.  I know it wasn't Mr. Crowder.  I hope he and Dennis have a wonderful, peaceful life in CA. Great job....keep 'em coming. :worship:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, LadyDe said:

Wow for the whole chapter!  That was amazing and the ending was absolutely fitting.  I like the gruesomeness :yes: Jones deserved it and i can't wait to find out who the perpetrator is.  I know it wasn't Mr. Crowder.  I hope he and Dennis have a wonderful, peaceful life in CA. Great job....keep 'em coming. :worship:

Oh, Great Mistress of the Multitude of Mobile Emojis, I am not worthy.  But, you do know how to get on my good side.

Thank you for the kind words.

Jim

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I don’t know how I missed this chapter when it came out.  But let me echo all the wows that have been given here.  That was some mighty fine police work and cooperation between several Texas agencies. Nobody mentioned it but Gary could use a special friend now that he is out to his parents.  😉 thanks for the chapter. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, glennish said:

I don’t know how I missed this chapter when it came out.  But let me echo all the wows that have been given here.  That was some mighty fine police work and cooperation between several Texas agencies. Nobody mentioned it but Gary could use a special friend now that he is out to his parents.  😉 thanks for the chapter. 

Well, Gary and I are both glad you found this chapter.  Dennis was jealous of the rapport and support Gary got from his father.  I think Gary is in good hands with Seth and his Mother.

Thanks for your comments and thanks for caring about Gary.  Teens need lots of support especially gay or transgender teens.

Jim

Edited by sojourn
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..