Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Man In Motion Music Selections

Chapter 1: The Super Bowl

-When Brad, Robbie, Ace, and Neil fly to Escorial from Connecticut.

"Material Girl" by Madonna

-For Brad's seduction of Robbie.

"Love My Way" by the Psychedelic Furs

-When Neil pretends he can ride, Brad calls him out on it, and Neil tries to say that Brad attacked him.

"Lies, Lies, Lies" by the Thompson Twins

-When the gang say good-bye to each other, Brad hugs Robbie a touch too long, and Brad drives back to Yale, alone.

"Destination Unknown" by Missing Persons

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 1

-When Brad, Robbie, Ace, and Neil fly to Escorial from Connecticut.

"Material Girl" by Madonna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5CaMD4WuBw

-For Brad's seduction of Robbie.

"Love My Way" by the Psychedelic Furs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf1R0vxU1as

-When Neil pretends he can ride, Brad calls him out on it, and Neil tries to say that Brad attacked him.

"Lies, Lies, Lies" by the Thompson Twins

-When the gang say good-bye to each other, Brad hugs Robbie a touch too long, and Brad drives back to Yale, alone.

"Souvenir" by OMD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAyv4qWyPw

Great picks Jeremy!

Let me just say...Mark, you are KILLING me trying to keep up with you. LOL. 03.gif

Anyways....

Chapter 2 - Valentine's Day 1985

-When Brad is being crabby about Valentine's Day.

"Love Stinks" by J. Geils Band

-When Brad arrives at the Valentine's Day party, and Amelia introduces him to Max.

"Let the Music Play" by Shannon

Can I just take a moment and declare how much I LOVE "Let the Music Play"? Such a perfect 80's dance song.

-When Brad and Robbie make love, and Robbie confesses the debt he's run up because of Neil.

"The Ghost in You" by Psychedelic Furs

-When Neil calls Brad.

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears

-When Robbie called Brad and apologizes to Brad.

"Words" by FR David

-When Brad mopes about Robbie.

"Foolish Heart" by Steve Perry

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 3- Spring Break 1985

-When Brad and Max fly to Cali, and Brad inducts Max to the Mile High

Club.

"Loverboy" by Billy Ocean

-When Brad discovers the toll that the AIDS crisis has been taking on

Stefan and Greg.

"Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club

-When Lark comes by, and Brad discovers he's the guy that broke Max's

heart.

"Secret Lovers" by Atlantic Starr

-When Brad, Stefan, and Greg find out they are HIV negative.

"It's A Miracle" by Culture Club

-When Tonto comes out for a visit, and Brad realizes that Robbie has

accompanied her.

"Wouldn't It Be Good?" by Nik Kersaw

Edited by methodwriter85

I don't really get why were putting songs to the story. lol but i guess if you enjoy finding songs that's awesome! lol I think tho for the Drifting apart of Robbie and Brad would be "NOBODY's PERFECT" by nonother then miley cyrus!! Bahahahaha too funny that wouldn't work at all, but if robbie and Brad ever get together maybe "If we were a Movie" By miley Cyrus would be adequet. lol

I don't really get why were putting songs to the story. lol but i guess if you enjoy finding songs that's awesome! lol I think tho for the Drifting apart of Robbie and Brad would be "NOBODY's PERFECT" by nonother then miley cyrus!! Bahahahaha too funny that wouldn't work at all, but if robbie and Brad ever get together maybe "If we were a Movie" By miley Cyrus would be adequet. lol

Jeremy puts together song recommendations that try to capture the theme of the story and the era in which the story is written. So the purpose is to play music of that era, since music reflects the culture of the times. It is unlikely that you will see a Miley Cyrus song here, because my stories usually take place in the past, and Miley wasn't even born in 1985. Back then, we were more likely to hear her father singing "Achy Breaky Heart."

ha to bad there's alot of modern music that would fit in well with the story, but even so, i'm not really seeing a big difference in lifestyle with the 85's and basically now. Wait i forgot something that arose not in that time, computers, Dvd's, and CELL PHONES. Ok so there is a difference, But then again i didn't really use any of that (other then computer) till i was like 15 or 16. haha see brad when he's 30-40 trying to text it up haha! hilairous.

Are you planning on continuing the story untill this day in age?? Like maybe in the future they adopt kids like brad was adopted etc. Although i'm not sure what plans you have for robbie and Brad being together again.

As for the music part i beleive your right, and wern't bell bottom jeans making a comeback in that age to? or isn't it the age of disco? or am i out a bit?

ha to bad there's alot of modern music that would fit in well with the story, but even so, i'm not really seeing a big difference in lifestyle with the 85's and basically now. Wait i forgot something that arose not in that time, computers, Dvd's, and CELL PHONES. Ok so there is a difference, But then again i didn't really use any of that (other then computer) till i was like 15 or 16. haha see brad when he's 30-40 trying to text it up haha! hilairous.

Are you planning on continuing the story untill this day in age?? Like maybe in the future they adopt kids like brad was adopted etc. Although i'm not sure what plans you have for robbie and Brad being together again.

As for the music part i beleive your right, and wern't bell bottom jeans making a comeback in that age to? or isn't it the age of disco? or am i out a bit?

Bell bottoms and disco was in the 70's. 1985 had a number of different fashions. Watch "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" or "Valley Girl" for the California versions, exaggerated of course. The jeans to wear: Levis 501s. Still in: Preppy.

*clucks tongue at Mark M* Ah, kid...get offa my lawn, whippersnapper! *winks*

Nah, it's cool. I'm a little older than you, so I really remember a good portion of the 80's and the culture that surrounded it. More 1988ish and 1989ish, but yeah. Mark's right and my main purpose for posting songs is to nail the feel of culture and time, which is often reflected quite well in the music of the time.

As for your question about bell bottoms...tie-dye t-shirts made a comeback in the late 80's as part of the Bohemian New Wave, but bell bottoms themselves weren't popular again until about 1999, when they made a comeback. Jeans in the 80's were generally very tight with an uncomfortably high waist...usually acid-washed, and tightly rolled up.

And Achy-Breaky-heart was like a '91 or '92 song, so we won't be hearing it here unless we wind up following these characters through the 90's.

Wippersnapper? Well i guess that makes you an old man *Wink* haha

Achy-Breaky-Heart hmm well i never really liked that song anyway so it can stay in the 90's lol But what if we put a Meadly of New songs to it all Like last night at the oscars with Beyonce....hugh Jackman, and Zanessa. ha if only we could put them back in time....HEY WHAT ABOUT HAIRSPRAY!!! like it's based in the 80's when the Black culture was being slightly more accepted. lol.

Wippersnapper? Well i guess that makes you an old man *Wink* haha

Achy-Breaky-Heart hmm well i never really liked that song anyway so it can stay in the 90's lol But what if we put a Meadly of New songs to it all Like last night at the oscars with Beyonce....hugh Jackman, and Zanessa. ha if only we could put them back in time....HEY WHAT ABOUT HAIRSPRAY!!! like it's based in the 80's when the Black culture was being slightly more accepted. lol.

Hairspray was supposed to take place in 1962 (in Baltimore).

Hair was based in the late '60s.

As for jeans, going back to the definitive Levis 501s, they fitted best when they were a little loose. Legs were straight. I remember that in the later 80's, legs got even straighter, and the trend was to tighten them even more by folding them into a cuff.

Hair cuts also got shorter as the 80's went on. Starting with an almost mullet-like influence in the beginning and thankfully fading into a more standard cut. And of course, spiked, gelled hair.

And Chapter 4...

-When Brad and Robbie have sex at the start of the chapter.  My 2009 comment: (Just what the hell ARE OP shorts, anyway? I've never heard of OP.)

"Senses Working Overtime" by XTC

-When Brad and Robbie are on the beach, and Brad reads him the one-page break-up letter. Then they have angry sex.

"Every Breathe You Take" by the Police

-When Robbie meets Max, and then Brad later has a threesome.

"A Million Miles Away" by the Plimsouls

Edited by methodwriter85
And Chapter 4...

-When Brad and Robbie have sex at the start of the chapter. (Just what

the hell ARE OP shorts, anyway? I've never heard of OP.)

"Senses Working Overtime" by XTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J5GVVz0gjA

-When Brad and Robbie are on the beach, and Brad reads him the one-page

break-up letter. Then they have angry sex.

"In-Between Days" by The Cure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZjsX-JRTyY

-When Robbie meets Max, they board the plane, and they have a threesome.

"A Million Miles Away" by the Plimsouls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qei8FeFcjMk

Great music!

OP stands for Ocean Pacific, which at the time was the brand that personified the California beach lifestyle.

Thanks! Some of that I actually used for B. Rad. Some I wanted to use, but couldn't find a place for.

Anyways...

There really was an amazing music selection in the mid-80's.

Definitely a lot easier than 1980, which was in this weird phase and

generally forced me to look at UK music, which I think was infinitely

better than American music in 1980.

Chapter 5- Conjugal Visits

-When Neil tries to seduce Brad, and Brad turns him down.

"Imagination" by Laura Branigan

-When Brad and Robbie have sex after Brad basically forces Neil out.

"Self-Control" by Laura Branigan

-When Brad meets Bianca, Ace's latest squeeze, in a rather personal way.

"La Dolce Vita" by Ryan Parris

-When Neil declares that Brad can't satisfy Robbie like he can. Then Brad threatens to sic JP on Neil.

"Jolene" by Dolly Parton

-When Robbie and Brad have sex, and Robbie tells him that he's not

going back to Princeton for grad school.

"All I Need" by Jack Wagner

-When Brad talks to Stefan and JP, trying to figure out what Robbie's

kink is.

"Obsession" by Animotion

I really like being able to use Jack Wagner's hit. My family were/are BIG General Hospital fans. I think some of my earliest memories actually revolve around watching General Hospital.

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 6: The Dilemma

-When Brad and Robbie meet in New York City.

"Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves

-When Robbie tells Brad that he's going to pick him over Neil.

"Things Can Only Get Better" by Howard Jones

-When Max calls up Brad, drunk.

"Who Can It Be Now?" by Men At Work

-When Max has Brad take his virginity.

"Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood

-When Max and Brad, post-coital, talk about how sleeping together has made them have deeper feelings for each other.

"Save A Prayer" by Duran Duran

-When Brad learns that Robbie is blowing him off for Neil, and he has fun with his rebound Max.

"Age of Consent" by New Order

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 7: The Silent Duck

-When Brad goes over his graduation plans.

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears

-When we salute the Yale class of 1985.

"Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen

- When Brad informs Max that he'll be leaving his choice apartment to him. Then Robbie and Brad have sex.

"Dress You Up" by Madonna

-When Stefan, Greg, and Brad discuss the likely kink that Robbie has.

"Tainted Love"/"Where Did Our Love Go?" by Soft Cell

-When Neil swears vengeance against Brad.

"Love is A Battlefield" by Pat Benatar

-When Brad and Robbie talk at the end of the chapter, and then hug before getting Robbie ready for his graduation ceremony.

"What About Love?" by Heart

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..