You finally have found the perfect mate. Someone who listens to you, shares your tastes in music and art, loves your movies. However they have just one small flaw. What is it?

• 4 months later...

Prompt 226

The room was lit to a warm dusky level, the darkness wrapping around the ball of light cast from the lamp like an embrace. Instead of sitting neatly on the armchair in the corner, I had chosen to lay flat on my back on the floor, arms out to the side, feet up on the bed. The stereo was playing as a noticeable background noise; the tones of ‘Right Here’ by Betty Who making me feel like I was underwater, obscurely enough.  The lyrics echoed hauntingly around the room

“You could stay here in my arms so tight. We could lay here in this perfect night. I could love you if you’d let me dear, so stay right here”

--

I knew as soon as I had seen him that he was the one.  He was the perfect male specimen: tall, dark, and handsome with a personality that was ruggedly masculine and sensitively soft at the same time. When I thought about him, my heart swelled with love and adoration. There was only one problem - one small flaw that seemed to bother him more than it bothered me, and I don’t think that he had ever meant for me to find out.

We had courted for months, and eventually commenced our relationship. Within weeks he had pretty much moved into my apartment, choosing to stay with me as much as possible. We would go to bed and he would hold me as I let myself drift away, content in each other’s company, feeling safe in his warm embrace.  He had always insisted on actually sleeping in separate rooms, and would creep away after I had fallen asleep. Although I wished he would stay, I had agreed. He was a real gentleman; I had never even seen him naked and I had thought it was kind of cute that he was trying to protect my innocence. That was what he had told me and that was the story that I believed until that fateful night.   

I had woken at about 1am, alone. No matter how much I wrapped myself around him, he always managed to extract himself and escape. At first, I was unsure what had woken me, until I heard moaning through the wall. Sniggering to myself, I had slipped out of bed and crept towards the door. The thought of seeing his face twisting in pleasure was too tempting

By the time I had reached the door to his room, I could hear his moaning more clearly and I could barely contain my glee. With all the grace and sensuality of a travelling circus clown, I flung the door open. The sight that met me was not the one that I had been hoping to see. He was gripped in what I could only assume was a horrifying dream: his blankets knotted at the end of his bed; his naked body covered in a film sweat; his face contorted in agony. I had dreamed of the day I would see his body in all of its naked glory, but this was nothing like what I had imagined. His flat, sculpted torso was marred with white lines, similar lines also covering his thighs and the underside of his forearms. I wanted to recoil from him, but this was still the man that I knew and loved. I now understood why he was so reluctant to remove his clothes and sleep with me, although this was not the way that I would have chosen to find out.

Instinctively I ran to his side and grabbed his shoulder, shaking him firmly. Unfortunately, at that point he howled awake and promptly threw a punch in my direction. I dodged it, and he gave me a two-handed shove to the chest which came close to knocking me on my ass. He jumped to his feet and shoved me again. The pain that had been contorting his face was still there, but it was different. I had never seen him look so furious, so determined, and so… vulnerable. I grabbed him and pulled him close to me, and he crumbled when he reached my chest, breaking into heart wrenching sobs. That was when he uttered the words that broke my heart completely.

‘No one could ever love me when I look like this.’

I held him tighter when he tried to pull away. I knew that the next day, we would have to have a serious discussion about what I had seen. The scars were not something that would turn me away from him, especially not when our relationship seemed to be perfect in every other way. His appearance was the last thing on my mind, but I knew that I needed to reassure him of that. I guided him back to his bed and lay down with him, allowing him to seek comfort and strength from the embrace we shared. After a short time he finally slipped back into a peaceful slumber, and I stayed awake long into the night considering what had happened.

--

My thoughts were interrupted as the song started again on loop. As I looked up at the bed, I saw my boyfriend’s back gently rising and falling as he slept, his steady breathing both reassuring and comforting. We were stronger than ever now, and I wasn’t going to let anything change that.

There’s a pounding in my chest, it’s getting hard to breathe. Morning’s coming, but not yet…. Never let me go… I could love you if you let me dear, so stay right here.”

Song that inspired (and is used in) this prompt can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dos2-Hv4tdU

and Thanks to Myiege for editing, any clumsiness or mistakes left are entirely my own.

Edited by Never Surrender
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

This was a very well done piece, Never. You should be very please with the result.

Why aren't you an author again?

honestly? i don't like the colour :P i dont think Uncle Jacks could quite believe it when i told him that was the reason hahaha

thanks for the nice comments, both :)

Edited by Never Surrender