Who Is Your Hero?

Meeko

Simple question, who is your hero? Everyone has one, weather it's a family member, a friend, a celebrity, anyone.

Who is your hero?

Why is that person so important to you?

What did they do to be your hero?

My Hero is my boss, let's call her S.

I've known this lady since I was 5. Every summer that I spent with her I was scared of her to tell the truth, she was the person you were sent to if you were bad, or did something wrong. Let me tell you she sure scared the living hell out of me. As the years went by I

Well, I found my heroes later in life. I have two, my little brother as well as my ex-boyfriend David's mother. My little brother was diagnosed with a heart condition and such and I know if I was diagnosed with something that I would think it was the end of me. He did have times where he felt that way, but for the most part he's kept true to himself. After he realized that people weren't going to think of him as weak or different then he was fine. So that's that. I guess it's also odd to think of an ex-boyfriend's mother as a hero, but she was diagnosed with breast cancer and since David was traveling to and from Maryland working he couldn't be there for her so I helped take care of her and we talked and she is really more motherly to me than my own Mom and such. Even after she recovered and is now living close to David in Maryland we still talk and I tell her all of my problems. Which is something I rarely get a chance to tell my friends really and it's still something I don't tell Mom.

She's actually down to visit for a few weeks which is just grand. It just sucks that I have to start back to college Monday.

Krista

This is a very... kind of sore subject for me.

I always considered my Hero to be Susan, a lady in her forties in Missouri. She was a friend of my Aunt's, and her and her entire family would come up atleast once a year to visit, and I always enjoyed my time with her. She just seemed so amazing to me. She was very outgoing, very kind, loving, and all those wonderful qualities that you can think of. She was my favorite person in the world, I admired her to no end. I even spent an amazing week with her and her wonderful family for a week down in Missouri. That was about 5 years ago. Then after that she and her family as only come up here a few times, but we kept in contact a lot over the phone. Then, last year I found out that she, out of no where one day, packed a bag and hopped on a plane and went to Kenya, Africa. She left her family... just like that. No explanation, nothing. She spent a few Months in Kenya. Since then, she has moved back to Missouri, she is staying at a friends house, and visits her family about every other weekend. I have not talked to her for over a year. I do not have any idea how to contact her, and she has done nothing to contact me. I miss her a great deal, but I do not think that is my hero any more...

Kurt

I do not have a hero. There are a great deal of people that I admire for various reasons, but I can't say that any one of them qualifies as my hero. People are too flawed for me to ever find someone I could look up to with the reverence that 'hero' implies.

Menzo

To those who don't know, I was outed the summer before 7th grade by a Mormon scoutmaster [which rather neatly explains my hatred for Mormons]. He told my parents, Southern Baptist, who didn't take it well. Needless to say in small town Mississippi in the Seventies, that was the best gossip of the summer. I was in a fight before the 8 o'clock bell of the first day of seventh grade.

The coach that took me to the office was a younger man who was a few years out of college football. He took me to the office and they asked what was wrong and why I was fighting. I kinda fell apart and told them. He took me and several of my friends into his homeroom and protected us from some of the worst abuse and harrassment.

He also taught me a lot about football. I had a lot of anger and aggression and the football field was just the right place for it. He had been linebacker for Auburn and that was a position that he knew well and I learned all that I could from him.

A lot of people though that because I was gay that I must be a pussy and therefore, a useful punching bag. Football allowed me to discourage this quaint idea by hitting them so hard, I losened their childrens teeth. I was able to gain the respect, sometimes grudgingly, of my teammates.

I don't know what 7th grade would have been like without Coach T. I don't know if I would have made it. He taught me to believe in my own strength and that has served me well ever since.

[for more about this read Chapter 10 or later of my story Broken at Awesomedude or Deweywriter]

This is a very... kind of sore subject for me.

I always considered my Hero to be Susan, a lady in her forties in Missouri. She was a friend of my Aunt's, and her and her entire family would come up atleast once a year to visit, and I always enjoyed my time with her. She just seemed so amazing to me. She was very outgoing, very kind, loving, and all those wonderful qualities that you can think of. She was my favorite person in the world, I admired her to no end. I even spent an amazing week with her and her wonderful family for a week down in Missouri. That was about 5 years ago. Then after that she and her family as only come up here a few times, but we kept in contact a lot over the phone. Then, last year I found out that she, out of no where one day, packed a bag and hopped on a plane and went to Kenya, Africa. She left her family... just like that. No explanation, nothing. She spent a few Months in Kenya. Since then, she has moved back to Missouri, she is staying at a friends house, and visits her family about every other weekend. I have not talked to her for over a year. I do not have any idea how to contact her, and she has done nothing to contact me. I miss her a great deal, but I do not think that is my hero any more...

Kurt

:hug: I'm sorry she disappointed you - and presumably hurt her family - Kurt :(

To be fair it sounds like something someone would only do if they were feeling "desperate". I'm definitely not trying to say she made the right choice, or handled it the best way possible, but it sounds to me like chances are there was a lot of stress and pressure building for a long time to make her react like that.

That's the problem with "heroes" and "role models" in general, they don't get to be human.

I do not have a hero. There are a great deal of people that I admire for various reasons, but I can't say that any one of them qualifies as my hero. People are too flawed for me to ever find someone I could look up to with the reverence that 'hero' implies.

Menzo

Well said, Menzo. That's pretty much how I feel to actually. I guess the nearest I would have would be my grandfather, who's done an excellent job of not disappointing me in the 23 years that I've known him. He certainly isn't perfect though, and again that's because he's human. Perhaps I just attach too much weight to the term, but I don't think I'd ever use it to describe another person.

I definitely don't meant to rain on the parade or anything though. It sounds like you guys have some awesome heroes!! Great people indeed! :2thumbs::great::worship:

Have a fantastic day all!

Kevin

Booo i can only fit a size 32 =( 0_O

Well that's quite normal and healthy, LC, and probably smaller than the average guy lol. And I bet they look awesome on you! :whistle:;)

I think I can give you a run for your money on shopping-addiction/money spent on clothes.

A challenger!! :huh:

LOL, I suppose we could compare credit card statements or something, but I'm content to let you have the title if you like. HAHA, at least I'll have shopping partner if I ever make it to London :boy:

Anyway, I fear we've gone a bit :off:

So in keeping with the hero topic, do you guys think it's fair to hold a "hero" to a higher standard than one would hold a regular person?

Have an awesome day all :)

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Anyway, I fear we've gone a bit :off:

So in keeping with the hero topic, do you guys think it's fair to hold a "hero" to a higher standard than one would hold a regular person?

Have an awesome day all :)

-Kevin

You've come across a very good point Kevin. To me S is just like everyone else, she is a normal person, only things that she has done for me makes her speical to me. :wub:

I wouldn't say she is better than anyone else, all i'm saying is that she holds a speical peice of my heart. And that makes her my Hero. But everyone has a differen't meaning for what a Hero is to them.

To each their own :D

Well that's quite normal and healthy, LC, and probably smaller than the average guy lol. And I bet they look awesome on you!

This may be true, but being healthy is so like out... Skinny is the new in!! haha.

Thank you for your kind words though Kevin, and i bet you look amazing in your size 29s >< haha HOT!!

-LC

No, it's not fair at all. But we do it anyway.

The person didn't ask to be our hero in most cases, probably aren't aware they are. If they don't live up to our standards for them, that's more our problem than theirs.

My mommy. :D

Yeah, it seems like a kinda copout type answer, but trust me, it's not!!! She's just amazing in every way, I've never met another person like her. If anybody deserves anything and everything they have ever wanted, it's her. NO ONE else can say that they've tried as hard as she has.

Okay, first off, she had my older sister when she was like nineteen and got married and all cause that was just the way things worked back then. She put up with an abusive drunk for years because she felt that kids need a father or some shit like that. Anyway, she was always one tough bitch. She's stood her ground in the face of things that would make me cry like a little girl and run away.

The one time my dad ever tried to hit me, 130 pound Mama kicked his 210 pound ASS. Like she FLEW on him and just... lol, it was great. :P My sister smacked him with a skillet, bent the handle. Good times, good times. :D But yeah, it took a lot for her to get up the guts to leave. She saw that even though my dad had gone to AA meetings and rehab more than a couple times, he wasn't gonna change any. Finally, my dad got fired or quit or some shit, and there was no way my mom could possibly make enough to pay the house payments every month. So, he kinda left us, and she ended up filing bankruptcy.

The bank f**ked us on the house. It was worth 300k, huge house, and they persuaded her to agree to go ahead and hand it over in exchange for keeping her van. Something to do with a quick claim deed, versus the amount of time and cash they'd have spent going through the financial mess that existed. So yeah, a little while later we find out that the house was sold at one of those distressed property auctions for a ridiculously small amount. Like a three figure amount. We also found out the lawyer my mom hired was also working for the bank that was making that deal at the same time. Yeah, that's a serious conflict of interest, but she got screwed very effectively; no way to prove anything technically illegal occurred, much less the money to throw at a serious lawsuit.

My mom, in her late thirties, started over. She took all of us, got certified as an insurance agent, and has towed the line ever since all by her lonesome. I look at how much stuff costs, the shape her credit was in, how expensive five kids are, and I have no idea how she's managed. She worked weekends, too, for a long time. Painting/cleaning/fixing houses that were going to be rented. For a while, we didn't get child support, so it was really tight. DHS also decided that we weren't quite poor enough to continue receiving food stamps or medicaid, so that means she had to cover those expenses, too.

All along, she's made absolutely certain that each one of us has had everything we need, and most of what we want. When I got into band, got first chair, and showed some potential, she shelled out 3k for my sax. One year, for my birthday, I had been eyeing the PS2. I never expected to get one, cause they were 300 bucks, y'know, that's just a bit much to waste on something as stupid as a PS2. I got it, though.

I've never gone hungry (though ramen noodles got old sometimes, lol), never really had to do without. I mean I always knew money was tight, but she made it stretch enough to take care of everybody.

She always knows what to do in every situation. She's got a great sense of humor, and is a really great woman. She's accepting, kind, and she's the only person in the entire world whose love I have never questioned. She's the only person I would trust with anything I considered truly important. Well, there's not much I can really say that'll let you know just how awesome she really is. I don't think there's ever been a better person.

Yeah, she's normal and she makes mistakes, I know, but she's also overcome things that break other people. So yeah, out of all the people I've ever met I respect her the most. Nobody else even comes close. :)

I'm a mama's boy... kiss my ass. :D

Your mom is indeed an amazing woman, Jamie. Thanks for that. :D

Conner

I agree, and everyone else for that matter, you all have amazing storys and hero's to share!

-LC

Simple question, who is your hero? Everyone has one, weather it's a family member, a friend, a celebrity, anyone.

Who is your hero?

B) .....Without a doubt, today my hero's are the men and women of the Armed Forces

B) .....Without a doubt, today my hero's are the men and women of the Armed Forces

Totally agreed there! :2thumbs:

My own are the same, though I also add others who also risk their lives in the course of their duties; Police, Firefighters, etc.

Totally agreed there! :2thumbs:

My own are the same, though I also add others who also risk their lives in the course of their duties; Police, Firefighters, etc.

B) ....I concur, in hindsight I did not mean to exclude them!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm copying this from a post (here) I made in the "Who feels happy that they came out?" topic here in the Lounge:

Hi all,

I just read the article The Love That Will Finally Speak Its Name in the My Turn article section of Newsweek, and I thought it was so good that I was going to type it up. Then I thought

1) "That may be against some kind of copyrighting rule", and

2) "I bet I can find it online and link to it"

And look I did!

It's about an 88 year old lesbian who's finally come out. Once again the link is:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20427661/#storyContinued

Let me know what you guys think!

-Kevin

This is a wonderful story.

It's also wonderful that the world is changing, albeit slowly. The teens on this site should be finding that expressing their sexuality is not what it was for Loraine Barr and her partner of 44 years.

Nor was it for me and my partner. We've known each other for 49 years, since we met in college. and we've been life partners living together for the past 36 years, since 1971. Are we out? Yes, to anyone who asks. We don't think that it's important to advertise our relationship. But all of our friends, who are almost all straight couples, know.

It was easier for us than it was for Loraine Barr and her partner. We were born 20 years after Loraine, and that relatively short additional amount time is what made it easier. Imagine how much easier it is today! It might not seem so, but from our perspective it's like the difference between darkness and light. We're registered domestic partners in California. We have had productive working lives, in organizations that were and are accepting of whatever the sexuality that their employees might have. I was able to add my partner to my company medical plan when he was no longer able to work due to an illness. Now we're retired, and enjoying that part of our lives.

The others who posted on this topic prior to this post are from 17 to 23 years old. Just think! When they are my age, 68 years old, from 45 to 51 years from now, they can anticipate something that we all aspire to have: acceptance. I think it will come for them! For YOU! Just continue to good fight, and press for your rights, and for acceptance, always. And good luck!

sungod

The story from Newsweek that Kevin links to tells about an 88 year old lesbian who met her partner 60 years ago and lived with her for the last 44 years, and the post by sungod who's 68 years old where he tells about meeting his partner 49 years ago and has been living with him for 36 years and they are out, are amazing to me. It's so great to read about real people, lesbians and gays, who were able to get together as partners so long ago. How many straight people do we each know who have been married for 36 years like sungod and his partner have been together? Or how about the 44 years that Loraine and her partner were together? I can imagine what it will be like in 51 years when my partner Doug and I are 68 like sungod, and then again in 71 years when we are 88 like Loraine, and look back on our lives. OMG, how different thing are going to be! Being the total optimist, I see them being better than today. No, not just better, but much, much better, totally fantastic!

My answer to this topic's question "Who Is Your Hero?" is "Loraine Barr and sungod are my heroes!"

Colin B)

My mommy. :D

So yeah, out of all the people I've ever met I respect her the most. Nobody else even comes close. :)

I'm a mama's boy... kiss my ass. :D

Aww :wub:

That was such a wonderful post, Jamie! She is indeed a fantastic person! :hug:

I can imagine what it will be like in 51 years when my partner Doug and I are 68 like sungod, and then again in 71 years when we are 88 like Loraine, and look back on our lives. OMG, how different thing are going to be! Being the total optimist, I see them being better than today. No, not just better, but much, much better, totally fantastic!

My answer to this topic's question "Who Is Your Hero?" is "Loraine Barr and sungod are my heroes!"

That is truly awesome and amazing! I was indeed very touched by both Loraine and sungod's stories!! And as I said, I seldom ever use the term "hero", but you know, Colin, with your positive attitude, confidence, and million other good qualities, you're a pretty terrific role-model yourself ;)

Have a fantastic day all and take care :)

Kevin

Aww :wub:

That was such a wonderful post, Jamie! She is indeed a fantastic person! :hug:

That is truly awesome and amazing! I was indeed very touched by both Loraine and sungod's stories!! And as I said, I seldom ever use the term "hero", but you know, Colin, with your positive attitude, confidence, and million other good qualities, you're a pretty terrific role-model yourself ;)

Have a fantastic day all and take care :)

Kevin

Oh, jeez Kevin, you've made me blush. I'm not a hero, far from it. I'm a follower, if I'm anything. But thanks for the compliment, anyway.

But you know, thinking about it, I realize that all of us who post here on the GA Forum are heroes. How many of the people who come to this form are lurkers only, they've never registered. They could include lots of people who are uncertain, confused, scared of their sexuality. We're giving them a place where they can find advice and opinions and debates, and maybe help them cope with their own situations. And the stories! OMG, the stories! People can read them and enjoy them and find that they aren't alone. They don't have to go to the library and sneak through the stacks looking for something positive and affirming to read. If we reach some people, kids, teens, adults, and seniors, and help them, we're doing a wonderful job. We should be proud of that.

Colin B)

I'm copying this from a post (here) I made in the "Who feels happy that they came out?" topic here in the Lounge:

The story from Newsweek that Kevin links to tells about an 88 year old lesbian who met her partner 60 years ago and lived with her for the last 44 years, and the post by sungod who's 68 years old where he tells about meeting his partner 49 years ago and has been living with him for 36 years and they are out, are amazing to me. It's so great to read about real people, lesbians and gays, who were able to get together as partners so long ago. How many straight people do we each know who have been married for 36 years like sungod and his partner have been together? Or how about the 44 years that Loraine and her partner were together? I can imagine what it will be like in 51 years when my partner Doug and I are 68 like sungod, and then again in 71 years when we are 88 like Loraine, and look back on our lives. OMG, how different thing are going to be! Being the total optimist, I see them being better than today. No, not just better, but much, much better, totally fantastic!

Colin B)

Colin,

I'm both flattered and a little embarrassed to be called one of your heroes. No one has ever called me a hero before. I'm not sure how I can live up to that title, I'm not sure what the duties of a hero are supposed to be. Good grief, I just realized that I don't even have a cape! How can I be a hero, a caped crusader, if I don't have a cape?

sungod