Happy Coming Out Day!

AFriendlyFace

Hi everyone,

October 11th is National Coming Out day in the U.S. So happy Coming Out Day everyone!!! :great::2thumbs:

Today marks a special day for me. Last year on Coming Out Day I made it a point to attend a couple of gay social functions. Thus, today marks the anniversary of my friendship with quite a few important people in my life as well as symbolizing the beginning of my integration into gay life in my new city :D

It also happens to be the birthday of a very dear friend childhood friend, who not only happens to be a lesbian but is also the first person I ever came out too.

So anyway, it's a special day for me, and I hope you guys all enjoyed it as well :)

Take care and have a fantastic fabulous day!

-Kevin

• Site Administrator
Take care and have a fantastic fabulous day!

Unfortunately, I missed it. I got on a plane in Los Angeles on the 10th October and got off the plane in Australia on the 12th October.... The International Date Line has a lot to answer for :P

Happy Coming out!

I find it bizzare to say Happy Coming out. I have through it only once and there's no happy in it. Good luck would be more appropriate!

Anyway, it's already 12th here! :(

Ieshwar

it's already 12th here as well (and morning) but nonetheless i hope you guys had a great day yesterday, whether you actively celebrated it or just enjoyed the atmosphere at home (plane, car, train, the middle of forest, whatever :P )

*hugs*

Happy Coming Out Day to all you guys out there... :P

Even though I as well as many of my fellow Indians and Asians cannot take part in celebrating this day due to the mindset of the society they live in, I still wish those who have had some sort of better luck, a hearty congratulations!!

The BeaStKid

I find it bizzare to say Happy Coming out. I have through it only once and there's no happy in it. Good luck would be more appropriate!

Well, I've had some really positive coming outs, and once you're already out that's sorts where the happy kicks in ;)

today, ironically, is National Frustration Day (according to the radio)

So maybe people are upset they missed their chance??

:lmao:

That's fantastic! :great:

I'm sure that's it. This morning they probably all woke up, looked at the calendar, snacked their heads and said, "Damn! Now I have to stay in the closet another whole year!"

I'm sure that's it. This morning they probably all woke up, looked at the calendar, snacked their heads and said, "Damn! Now I have to stay in the closet another whole year!"

That's funny! Probably closeted in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. :lol:

I've been "out" in a conservative, subtle form for quite a while. But I am marching in my first Gay Pride Parade next month. Because of the Palm Springs summer heat, Gay Pride is always the first weekend in November. I'll be with a contingent supporting one of the city council candidates. The election is the following Tuesday. We will probably elect a new mayor and at least one more city council member who fly rainbow colors.

Jack B)

I've been "out" in a conservative, subtle form for quite a while. But I am marching in my first Gay Pride Parade next month. Because of the Palm Springs summer heat, Gay Pride is always the first weekend in November. I'll be with a contingent supporting one of the city council candidates. The election is the following Tuesday. We will probably elect a new mayor and at least one more city council member who fly rainbow colors.

Jack B)

:great::D

Yeah, for some reason I thought it was in March... but then someone reminded me yesterday about it.

The Day of Silence is in April. Perhaps you were thinking of that?

I like it, but then again I like anything that makes anyone happy because it's just, well, happy. :)

There was a little table with the GSA people out on the lil coming out day here at USM, I signed a petition having something to do with an anti discrimination law or something. It was nice, anyway, I'll hunt them down again sometime. Was nice that they recognized it and did something for it, even if it wasn't very big.

I guess I'm the only one who think a "Coming Out" day is kinda lame, huh? ._. It just doesn't make any sense to me. *runs away before I get hunted down*

Why is it lame? It is just trying to promote self-confidence in regards to sexuality. It's not exactly the rebirth of a dead guy or anything, but it seems like a worthy cause.

I'm curious why you think it's lame too. Are you coming from the POV that 'Coming Out' isn't a big deal anymore? Because I'd be happy as a big old gay camper if society has come that far that most people didn't think it was a big deal whenever a gay person came out.

Maybe I'm old school, but I have the impression that many people would still be shut out, beat up, or kicked out for coming out. For anyone to come out in any of those situations just so they can stop living a lie should still be celebrated.

I look forward to the day when people will sit around and feel that coming out isn't a big deal and that the 'Day' was created as a Hallmark conspiracy to sell more merchandise. :D

'Ugh, I can't believe that it's only August and the stores are filled with National Coming Out Day merchandise. Have they no shame?'

Edited by NaperVic

I find it lame because of many reasons. One being that it makes no sense in having one day for it, when several people come out everyday. Another one would be that it will probably turn into yet another commercial thing where you can buy t-shirts, hats etc. And I don't really get what exactly a "Coming Out" day is supposed to stand for, since it's a different experience to everyone. Some happy, som sad, som violent, some celebration, some indifferent and so on. That's why I find it lame. The concept of it is unclear and sort of condescending. That's just my opinion though, I hope no one get offended by it. ^^;

Btw, I don't celebrate easter and stuff like that either. I'm not religious. I just celebrate Christmas(to me it has nothing to do with Jesus, though), birthdays and new years eve. Oh, and Halloween because I love scary stuff, lol.

Edited by Pai-chan

I find it lame because of many reasons. One being that it makes no sense in having one day for it, when several people come out everyday. Another one would be that it will probably turn into yet another commercial thing where you can buy t-shirts, hats etc. And I don't really get what exactly a "Coming Out" day is supposed to stand for, since it's a different experience to everyone. Some happy, som sad, som violent, some celebration, some indifferent and so on. That's why I find it lame. The concept of it is unclear and sort of condescending. That's just my opinion though, I hope no one get offended by it. ^^;

Btw, I don't celebrate easter and stuff like that either. I'm not religious. I just celebrate Christmas(to me it has nothing to do with Jesus, though), birthdays and new years eve. Oh, and Halloween because I love scary stuff, lol.

1. I highly doubt it's going to become a huge "commercial thing." And if it did become that, whats the harm?

2. Thats like saying there shouldnt be a national holiday of Thanksgiving because we should give thanks everyday!

3. What's the big deal? Seriously?

1. I highly doubt it's going to become a huge "commercial thing." And if it did become that, whats the harm?

2. Thats like saying there shouldnt be a national holiday of Thanksgiving because we should give thanks everyday!

3. What's the big deal? Seriously?

1. As I already said, it's condescending and offensive.

2. Yes it is. Which is why only USA and Canada celebrate Thanksgiving.

3. I never said it was a big deal. I said I think it's lame. Try reading my post properly before asking questions next time. ^^

Edited by Pai-chan