Dirty Hotel Secrets

• Site Administrator

Ewww... :wacko:

My only question, trying to be balanced, is how many rooms did they record before they got those tapes. Some (not all) current affairs reports like this in Australia will tell you how many places did it right. This one implies that they only recorded at three hotels, but did they? If they recorded at twenty (say) and got three bad ones, that's a bit more palatable. Regardless, it's still not good.

My only question, trying to be balanced, is how many rooms did they record before they got those tapes. Some (not all) current affairs reports like this in Australia will tell you how many places did it right. This one implies that they only recorded at three hotels, but did they? If they recorded at twenty (say) and got three bad ones, that's a bit more palatable. Regardless, it's still not good.

Graeme i think your giving aussie current affair programs too much credit, their just as biased in their protrayal of events

i can just imagine Anna Crossent reading this now:

"Hotels Filthy little secret, a Today Tonight exclusively reveals hotels disgusting cleaning habits, how youve been deceived, putting your life as well as the lives of your children at risk"

and the others arnt really much better

Edited by woody
  • Site Administrator
Graeme i think your giving aussie current affair programs too much credit, their just as biased in their protrayal of events

i can just imagine Anna Crossent reading this now:

"Hotels Filthy little secret, a Today Tonight exclusively reveals hotels disgusting cleaning habits, how youve been deceived, putting your life as well as the lives of your children at risk"

and the others arnt really much better

They've gone down hill a lot in the last couple of years, but while that would be what their ads would say, the actual show would indicate how many did things right and how many did things wrong.

Here's something really scary. Especially for those that travel alot.

Jan

The middle-of-the-road hotels (in the U.S., at least) are managed by "number-crunchers" who are primarily interested in productivity and financial results. The number of rooms an attendent is expected to clean per shift has slowly risen over the years from 8-10 to 16-18. Shortcuts are needed to accomplish the task. Therefore, the old 'clean the glass in the sink' routine.

If the hotel doesn't use pre-wrapped/sealed disposable glasses, I suggest the traveler go down the the hotel's restaurant and request clean glassware that has been washed in a machine.

Another thing to consider: bed covers and blankets are often splattered with unseen, leftover body fluids. It's unrealistic to carry one of those special lights...but I think travelers should demand that hotels have such an instrument available at the front desk.

The hotels in the Fox clip represent three different hotel chain brands. I don't think that the Atlanta area is relevant. This same situation exists everywhere.

Happy travels.

Jack B)

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

I'm so glad that i always use those little plastic cups...

As for the bedsheets, one year on a band trip, my roommate bought a blacklight at the museum we were visiting. We turned off the lights, to see what it would like like plugged in, and were totallyl shocked when our bed lit up like the 4th of July.

IT WAS DISGUSTING!

So, we called for clean sheets, and kept testing them until we got ones that were clean. Even still, my friend insisted on sleeping on the floor. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Jan

I can think of only one word to describe the actions of the housekeepers. The word is egregious. :blink: I bet they don't clean the sheets often either. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW GROSS!

You shouldn't have to get used to that. It's downright vile. I will never drink out of a non-disposible glass in a hotel again. :thumbdown:

there's a saying in Punjabi---> akkhi dekhi makkhhi nahi piti jaandi...

translates--> when you know its dirty, then one can't drink it.

gist? when I don't know what they're feeding me, making me wear....I have to have trust in them. But when I see that they're dirty, they would only see my back. :)

BeaStKid

Jan

Ewwwww, Oki, I think I don't want to go in hotel anymore,, or at least I won't use their stuff.

You got a point,, if they had to put camera in all the rooms for a week to find those images, it's not that bad. I mean, most media do tend to exaggerate because it does bring more rating and therefore more money.

But even there it doesn't explain... ewwww not good.