Suggestions please!

Hey, I need some ideas cause I'm just not creative or fun enough to make my brain come up with anything good.

I need something interesting to do, something date-like, something boyfriend appropriate which will stimulate conversation and just be fun in general. Now, here's where it gets interesting...

I'm absolutely BROKE. I mean I have absolutely no cash, lol, not a dime. So, I need suggestions which require absolutely no monies. :P I would also prefer suggestions which don't make it obvious that I'm broke.

Quick guys, bail me out. Think of something good. No movies, those don't provoke enough conversation/funishness. Usually I can think of something random and off the wall enough to be fun, but this time I'm drawing a blank for some reason.

Check your local newspaper. There is usually a section somewhere in there for stuff that's happening in the community, such as concerts, art shows, lectures, etc. Some, if not all, are usually open to the public (free). Pick something that sounds interesting.

Sharon

No movies, those don't provoke enough conversation/funishness. Usually I can think of something random and off the wall enough to be fun, but this time I'm drawing a blank for some reason.

Find a political group who share your beliefs and get involved. I did that last fall in local elections/campaigns and found it "funish" and the interaction provided plenty of conversation. I also met some very interesting peeps.

Hang out in the malls or huge beautiful public places. That's what we do here. :) Roam around, making comments about things here and there, Criticising this shop, and that. :lol:

I expect you to talk about things more sensible. :lol: (Unlike me :wacko: )

And why not the library. That's cool and romantic. You can talk about books you liked (I'm sure you have loads!) Does that soun nerdy? :unsure: Perhaps, he likes nerds. *winks*

Hope that helped

Ieshwar

Ok are we looking for sugestions on things to do if your bored and have no money? Or is it bored broke and looking for a boyfriend or someone to date?

For boredness theres always things in the newspapers saying whats happening in the community. Movies dont stimulate conversation but no one goes to the movies to talk anyways. its all about holding hands in a dark theatre. I almost typed that alanis line but THAT would have been bad. Sorry what can i say im a flirt!. I had a friend once she was so embarass to hold her boyfriends hand in the theatre that they held hands inside the cup holders. AND her hands got stuck HA HA!. Hmmmm sometimes it the little things that make the biggest impression. Like i wouldn't want to go and eat at a fancy restraunt if some guy is trying to Whoo Me. Its called GET DOWN TO EARTH! Take me to a picnic in the park or by a lake or something. Don't buy me flowers ESPECIALLY roses. GOD everybody buys roses its kinda sickening(if other guys buy guys flowers i dont know its been so long since i;ve dated a guy) Instead pick me some from your neighbours garden (just dont get caught! :) You could always suggest to go dutch that means you pay your meal they pay theres. My last suggestion is find someone with money. That is a joke of course because money does not lead to happiness. Hanging out in places you like hanging out in and feel comfortable starting up conversations. Like me i like hanging out at the coffee shop with my friends and i will talk about EVERYTHING i dont care who is listening maybe its because there is lots of people around to act as buffers instead of you and this person you like. and have them Ackward silences.

Along the line of Ieshwar's suggestion (the library): literary games (and you'll shine, hopefully)

One you might have full access to

The n+7: take a text and replace all nouns or verbs with the seventh word coming after in the dictionary.

The dictionary game (needs at least five players, so not proper for a date): someone picks up a word no one knows in the dictionary.

Everybody writes down a definition.

The person who chose the word collects the papers and reads them aloud.

In turn, everyone votes for the most likely definition.

Scores: 1 point for those who chose the right definition

1 point for getting a vote for your fake definition

As many points as there are voters for the person who chose the word if no one finds the good definition. (Of course, the definition must be copied verbatim; the form has to be agreed upon at the beginning)

Making a video: great fun in making a 2-minute video based on whatever you feel like (the nerdy types I hang out with usually illustrated poems, in a very silly manner most of the time). Designing/ shooting/ editing will get your whole evening busy.

Hi Jamie!

Hmmm, interesting assignment! :D

Check your local newspaper. There is usually a section somewhere in there for stuff that's happening in the community, such as concerts, art shows, lectures, etc. Some, if not all, are usually open to the public (free). Pick something that sounds interesting.

This sounds like an excellent suggestion to me!

Take me to a picnic in the park or by a lake or something.

This was actually going to be my suggestion!

A nice picnic followed by a fun walk and maybe some outdoor appropriate game/activity (Frisbee perhaps? Or maybe a nice silly version of 'tag' or 'Hide-and-Seek'?)

Don't buy me flowers ESPECIALLY roses. GOD everybody buys roses its kinda sickening(if other guys buy guys flowers i dont know its been so long since i;ve dated a guy) Instead pick me some from your neighbours garden (just dont get caught! :)

I think there's quite a bit of difference of opinion on this one (not just between Mattie and I but with everyone). I've bought a guy flowers before, but they weren't roses, they were a random selection I'd picked out at a flower shop. He was very pleased.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't get very excited about receiving flowers at all. At least not for their sake. They've never interested me very much. I'd find it more thoughtful if he brought me something I'd actually use/enjoy. However, I would still think it's really sweet of him to get me flowers, so he would win alot of points for the "It's the thought that counts" thing, and actually if someone were going to buy me flowers I think I would prefer red roses, again just because THEY ARE like the symbol of romantic gestures and since I don't really care for flowers in the first place, and it is the thought that counts for me in the case, I would see that as a lovely romantic gesture.

You could always suggest to go dutch that means you pay your meal they pay theres.

OHHH, don't do that!! First of all it wouldn't solve your problem since you said you don't have any money. So it might get you out of paying for him, but it would leave you sitting there drinking a glass of water while he ate :thumbdown:

Even assuming money wasn't an issue I think suggesting separate tickets (especially beforehand) is a really bad idea. I can't help but think it makes you look cheap! Paying should be the responsibility of the person who did the asking out. If they can't afford to treat both themselves and their companion then they should not ask them out on such a date. They should instead ask them over for a quiet dinner at home or any other no money date option that we discussed above, like a picnic or a trip to the free museum etc.

Similarly, I think it is good manners for the person who's being treated to offer to pay, at least for their own. However, I don't think they should insist, and the asker-outer should refuse.

To me though, asking or trying to arrange for dutch treat is about the most unromantic thing you can do. If someone asked me out and then arranged that, I'd be wondering if it were even a date at all! I mean I'm used to doing this with my friends! How do I know the guy isn't simply trying to begin a friendship with me? Obviously there would have to be other indicating features, but if it were one of those times when you're not quite sure what the other person's intentions are I actually would assume he meant "as friends" if we each end up paying for our own. In which case I wouldn't find it rude and would simply enter "friend mode". If, on the other hand, I realized that this was supposed to be a date, and we did the separate pay thing (which actually if I'd already realized this was a date, even if he asked me out, I'd still make the effort and offer to pick up his too, but barring that), I would find it really rude, and it would be a big strike against him.

If you're trying to balance out the cost of things a far better idea, IMO, is to let the other person pick up something else on the date. For example several months ago I went on a date with this guy I'd met through a friend, and by the time we actually went on the date I wasn't even sure who'd asked out whom. We'd changed the plans so much it was very unclear, and the restaurant that he had wanted us to go to ended up being closed, at which time I suggested a nearby restaurant. Anyway, when the bill came the waitress asked "separate or together?" and he started to say "separate" but I interjected "I'll get it", and paid for both because in my mind, I was still the one that had actually gotten us to that particular restaurant, even if the chain of events was a bit vague. On the other hand, when we went to the movies and later coffee and dessert, he picked up the bill, to which I simply replied "thank you".

Anyway, I think I went off on a bit of a tangent :*)

Point is though, you can have fun without money, just make sure you're the one guiding the activities and that you pick things that will be fun for both of you :D

:hug:

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

-Kevin

Hi Jamie!

Hmmm, interesting assignment! :D

This sounds like an excellent suggestion to me!

This was actually going to be my suggestion!

A nice picnic followed by a fun walk and maybe some outdoor appropriate game/activity (Frisbee perhaps? Or maybe a nice silly version of 'tag' or 'Hide-and-Seek'?)

I think there's quite a bit of difference of opinion on this one (not just between Mattie and I but with everyone). I've bought a guy flowers before, but they weren't roses, they were a random selection I'd picked out at a flower shop. He was very pleased.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't get very excited about receiving flowers at all. At least not for their sake. They've never interested me very much. I'd find it more thoughtful if he brought me something I'd actually use/enjoy. However, I would still think it's really sweet of him to get me flowers, so he would win alot of points for the "It's the thought that counts" thing, and actually if someone were going to buy me flowers I think I would prefer red roses, again just because THEY ARE like the symbol of romantic gestures and since I don't really care for flowers in the first place, and it is the thought that counts for me in the case, I would see that as a lovely romantic gesture.

OHHH, don't do that!! First of all it wouldn't solve your problem since you said you don't have any money. So it might get you out of paying for him, but it would leave you sitting there drinking a glass of water while he ate :thumbdown:

Even assuming money wasn't an issue I think suggesting separate tickets (especially beforehand) is a really bad idea. I can't help but think it makes you look cheap! Paying should be the responsibility of the person who did the asking out. If they can't afford to treat both themselves and their companion then they should not ask them out on such a date. They should instead ask them over for a quiet dinner at home or any other no money date option that we discussed above, like a picnic or a trip to the free museum etc.

Similarly, I think it is good manners for the person who's being treated to offer to pay, at least for their own. However, I don't think they should insist, and the asker-outer should refuse.

To me though, asking or trying to arrange for dutch treat is about the most unromantic thing you can do. If someone asked me out and then arranged that, I'd be wondering if it were even a date at all! I mean I'm used to doing this with my friends! How do I know the guy isn't simply trying to begin a friendship with me? Obviously there would have to be other indicating features, but if it were one of those times when you're not quite sure what the other person's intentions are I actually would assume he meant "as friends" if we each end up paying for our own. In which case I wouldn't find it rude and would simply enter "friend mode". If, on the other hand, I realized that this was supposed to be a date, and we did the separate pay thing (which actually if I'd already realized this was a date, even if he asked me out, I'd still make the effort and offer to pick up his too, but barring that), I would find it really rude, and it would be a big strike against him.

If you're trying to balance out the cost of things a far better idea, IMO, is to let the other person pick up something else on the date. For example several months ago I went on a date with this guy I'd met through a friend, and by the time we actually went on the date I wasn't even sure who'd asked out whom. We'd changed the plans so much it was very unclear, and the restaurant that he had wanted us to go to ended up being closed, at which time I suggested a nearby restaurant. Anyway, when the bill came the waitress asked "separate or together?" and he started to say "separate" but I interjected "I'll get it", and paid for both because in my mind, I was still the one that had actually gotten us to that particular restaurant, even if the chain of events was a bit vague. On the other hand, when we went to the movies and later coffee and dessert, he picked up the bill, to which I simply replied "thank you".

Anyway, I think I went off on a bit of a tangent :*)

Point is though, you can have fun without money, just make sure you're the one guiding the activities and that you pick things that will be fun for both of you :D

:hug:

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

-Kevin

I TOTALLY agree with your dating etiquette. There's not really much I can add, I agree with it all. What kev said. lol

I think you're at college Jamie, so I'm not sure if you have the props necessary, but I'd say leisurely biking to a destination where you can take lots of breaks to chat, get water, etc.

Or if you don't have bikes, rollerblading would be cool too.

And if you don't have either of those, you two can walk to a destination. Lot's of time to get to know each other ;) .

If you live in the dorms and both are on meal plans, perhaps you can go to a destination that's near a dining hall that you don't normally eat at? That way you guys can get a meal together, plus something else.

Hmm, can't think of much else without money. :(

Anywho, good luck!

Vic

• Site Administrator

You may be too young for this :P but a good kids playground can be a lot of fun. This would be something in conjunction with some of the other ideas (like biking, picnic, a stroll through a park, by a lake, etc).

Good luck!

Since your location seems to be fairly warm, as suggested above a picnic/park visit would be a great option.

Sometimes your city or county will have special nature trails/city walks. My town has a "Riverwalk" that runs along a major river through various parks and parts of town, for example. Look in the phone book or call your parcs and rec office to find one!

Walk one way, take a bus home, walk both ways...whatever.

If walks and nature aren't usually your thing, if questioned about being cheap you could always remind that it is a good way to get some alone time, as is your goal. Perhaps even an evening stroll to give it a more date-like feel.

Holding hands and slowly strolling down a pretty pathway at dusk is probably the best date you could ever take me on. I'm sure many

Edited by Tarin

Ooo, Graeme, that's an awesome idea. Now I gotta figure out where the nearest park is, haha. There's a really pretty rose garden on campus, too, but it's all roseless since it's been so cold this winter. Um, well, I'll keep thinking, but thanks very much for the suggestions thusfar guys!! :D

Stargazing is fun. With a little study you can learn a few constellations and see some amazing things with a small telescope, binoculars or even the naked eye.

Another added plus is you have your date outside in the dark. :lmao: