Lance Bass Interview

Myr

• Site Administrator

http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=9321

I liked Backstreet and NSYNC back in the day. They are, after all, my age. And they were pretty hot too.

I used to read so many of those Boy Band stories over at Nifty.

I was so glad for some vindication in my belief that Lance really was gay. One of the few times my early on that my gaydar worked.

I never met him, but was accidentily within 15 feet once in the high tide of their popularity. I suddenly found myself between most of NSYNC (no Justin), and a horde of preteen girls at a Six Flags park. I can safely say that it was the only time in my life where I was mounted by a girl. Several in fact. They were climbing up me trying to get at the guys while I was trying to escape.

Anyhoo, an interesting interview with Lance.

Myr

http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=9321

Anyhoo, an interesting interview with Lance.

Myr

It is indeed a good article, thanks Myr for bringing it up to us.

In the entertainment business, coming out is often a difficult choice. His courage and the courage of others like him is a good source of inspiration for us all. :)

I know that in the entertainment business, specially in the music business, you can easily find gay people. But to be out you need some extra courage as you become right there the poster boy (or girl) for many others.

Although I think if more and more people came out, it would become less of a big deal and in the end make it easier for people to come out. Because there are indeed a lot of gay people in the music business and there are a fair number of openly gay musicians, Melissa Etheridge, Elton John, Rufus Wainwright, Mika -- oh wait scratch that last one, he's not out. ;)

Edited by scoopny

Although I think if more and more people came out, it would become less of a big deal and in the end make it easier for people to come out. Because there are indeed a lot of gay people in the music business and there are a fair number of openly gay musicians, Melissa Etheridge, Elton John, Rufus Wainwright, Mika -- oh wait scratch that last one, he's not out. ;)

Mika is not the only one we suspect. You can add Ricky Martin to that list. Neither deny it, but they do not admit it either. It is a difficult choice. A lot of celebs are afraid coming out will hurt their careers. It is more of a threat for actors than musicians, but there is still a risk of the fan base taking a hit.

Out of all of the Boy Band'ers Lance Bass was my all-time favorite.. I thought he was the hottest and I knew he was the most down to earth really.. lol.. A real loss to women everywhere... :blink:

I'm glad that he is a solid role-model for the gay community and a valid source with his testimony that it's okay to be who you are.

Mika is not the only one we suspect. You can add Ricky Martin to that list. Neither deny it, but they do not admit it either. It is a difficult choice. A lot of celebs are afraid coming out will hurt their careers. It is more of a threat for actors than musicians, but there is still a risk of the fan base taking a hit.

Well Mika :wub: doesn't talk about his private life in public,, which I think is the best. Therefore we have no idea if it's true,, Ricky martin,, :blink: the first time I hear about it,,,,

But you're totally right,, it would hurt the career of actor more than musicians. The only few actors that are openly gay that I can think of,, ends up only having roles of gay guy,,, (rupert everett, nathan lane)

• Site Administrator

Don't forget Daryn Hayes of the former Savage Garden. I think he he married a guy recently.

Oh, at least two of the younger male contestants on this year's American Idol have made my gaydar go tilt. Of course, once of them my mother mentioned to me. (Since I came out to her, she has a good time playing spot the gay guy)

Go Lance. I still think Justin is cuter ;)

Well Mika :wub: doesn't talk about his private life in public,, which I think is the best. Therefore we have no idea if it's true,, Ricky martin,, :blink: the first time I hear about it,,,,

Well, my gaydar is of the opinion that there's little doubt about Mika's homosexuality, and Ricky's at the very least bi ;)

I suppose Lance has been good for the gay community, even though he's never interested me much either way. It does seem like the awareness has helped, and for the most part he's been a suitable spokesman.

I think Mika would be excellent if he came out. He seems like a happy, comfortable person. Conversely I don't think anyone's really still in doubt about Clay Aiken, but he seems like the sort that wouldn't do us any good by coming out (he strikes me as heavily conflicted and more than a little neurotic).

Edited by AFriendlyFace

He (Lance) seems like a happy, comfortable person. Conversely I don't think anyone's really still in doubt about Clay Aiken, but he seems like the sort that wouldn't do us any good by coming out (he strikes me as heavily conflicted and more than a little neurotic).

I did meet Lance and his boyfriend, Reichen Lehmkuhl, at the restaurant I managed in early 2006. Reichen called earlier and introduced himself. He said he was with Lance Bass, visiting Palm Springs and they'd like to come over for dinner at a private table. I didn't have the foggiest idea who Reichen was but he was very polite. The restaurant is a teppan-yaki Japanese restaurant with group seating.

The evening was winding down and I told them to come in. They did arrive and the two gentlemen couldn't have been nicer. Lance wasn't yet out to the press but it was very clear they were a couple. And Reichen...WOW! 6'3"...WOW! A killer smile...WOW! I gave them a table by themselves and no one noticed them. Nice guys.

I think Kevin's right on about Clay Aiken. It appears he's carrying a lot of heavy emotional baggage. On the other hand, Ricky seems very comfortable in his yummy skin.

Jack B)

Well, my gaydar is of the opinion that there's little doubt about Mika's homosexuality, and Ricky's at the very least bi ;)

I suppose Lance has been good for the gay community, even though he's never interested me much either way. It does seem like the awareness has helped, and for the most part he's been a suitable spokesman.

I think Mika would be excellent if he came out. He seems like a happy, comfortable person. Conversely I don't think anyone's really still in doubt about Clay Aiken, but he seems like the sort that wouldn't do us any good by coming out (he strikes me as heavily conflicted and more than a little neurotic).

I gotta agree that Mika does seems like he's very well and has lots of energy to give, an outspoken person he would be a good spokesperson. But if he don't want to display his private life to everyone, it,s his prerogative.

I also totally agree about Aiken. He's way too shy to be able to take part of the gay community on his shoulder.

I did meet Lance and his boyfriend, Reichen Lehmkuhl, at the restaurant I managed in early 2006. Reichen called earlier and introduced himself. He said he was with Lance Bass, visiting Palm Springs and they'd like to come over for dinner at a private table. I didn't have the foggiest idea who Reichen was but he was very polite. The restaurant is a teppan-yaki Japanese restaurant with group seating.

The evening was winding down and I told them to come in. They did arrive and the two gentlemen couldn't have been nicer. Lance wasn't yet out to the press but it was very clear they were a couple. And Reichen...WOW! 6'3"...WOW! A killer smile...WOW! I gave them a table by themselves and no one noticed them. Nice guys.

Wow that's cool! :D

I gotta agree that Mika does seems like he's very well and has lots of energy to give, an outspoken person he would be a good spokesperson. But if he don't want to display his private life to everyone, it,s his prerogative.

I also totally agree about Aiken. He's way too shy to be able to take part of the gay community on his shoulder.

I have an acquaintance who maintains that he knows Clay, and that the singer actually is out in his private life. Of course I'm not sure I believe him, since I barely know him and he seems like the sort that talks a big game.

I really don't have any problem with someone choosing to stay in the closet, it only gets me mad when they start lying about it. I don't think Mika or Ricky Martin have lied just avoided the question, which really, is the same thing as saying yes but that they really don't want to talk about it. Which is fine, not everyone has to be an activist. It's when you get people like former N.J. Governor Jim McGreevey who was prancing around with his wife campaigning against civil unions, etc., that makes me mad.

I really don't have any problem with someone choosing to stay in the closet, it only gets me mad when they start lying about it. I don't think Mika or Ricky Martin have lied just avoided the question, which really, is the same thing as saying yes but that they really don't want to talk about it. Which is fine, not everyone has to be an activist. It's when you get people like former N.J. Governor Jim McGreevey who was prancing around with his wife campaigning against civil unions, etc., that makes me mad.

:lmao:

Nice word choice!

Edited by AFriendlyFace

It certainly annoying if someone will start denying about being gay out loud, for any reason, if there's rumors about it, either say nothing, or confirm it.

:lmao:

Nice word choice!

nice choice of word in this situation indeed :P

Politicians are even worse about it than celebs. I don't think there is such a thing as an honest politician. They all bend the truth and like whenever they see fit. You forgot those perverts on Captiol Hill who have been caught... Sorry, I know it's :off::lol:

Politicians are even worse about it than celebs. I don't think there is such a thing as an honest politician. They all bend the truth and like whenever they see fit. You forgot those perverts on Captiol Hill who have been caught... Sorry, I know it's :off::lol:

Ehh. Well, unfortunately, politicians feel that it is necessary for them to stay closeted in order to be able to be elected. The reason they do this is because they feel that the people won't elect a gay man to office. And unfortunately, this almost always seems to be the case.

What needs to happen is that there needs to be more openly gay & lesbian public figures. Not just celebrities, but people in government as well. The more openly gay people there are in office, the more people will start accepting it. But, alas, that's a long time from coming.

We haven't even elected a woman or black president yet. Although, I'm betting that we'll have either one next year ;)

The reason they do this is because they feel that the people won't elect a gay man to office. And unfortunately, this almost always seems to be the case.

They are correct. The sad fact is that while overt bigotry is out of fashion, attitudes haven't changed that much.

• Site Administrator

Okay, I'm going to date myself here :blink: .

I too enjoyed the boy bands like NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, and probably the first was New Kids On The Block (yikes!!). I saw them all in concert, and always went home with the feeling of 'are they gay'? It also made me think that is exactly what the promoters picked them for, to appeal to the teenage girls, and the gay guys.

When Lance came out he explained how he waited so long, as not to hurt the bands image and reputation. I always wondered though if they could have attracted the teenage girl dollar, how much more could the have got from the gay dollar?

Someone mentioned that an actor would always be casted in 'gay roles', which I don't know if it is necessarily true. The first one that comes to mind is Neil Patrick Harris. I think I had a feeling about him even back in his Doogie Howser M.D. days. From what I understand he has been out personally for some time, but only came out to the public to avoid the tabloids exposing him. To my knowledge he has never been casted as gay.

I too enjoyed the boy bands like NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, and probably the first was New Kids On The Block (yikes!!). I saw them all in concert, and always went home with the feeling of 'are they gay'? It also made me think that is exactly what the promoters picked them for, to appeal to the teenage girls, and the gay guys.

Oh, the New Kids On The Block,,, that's like the first of their kind in my mind,, the made for and by teen band. all cutes :wub:

Ehh. Well, unfortunately, politicians feel that it is necessary for them to stay closeted in order to be able to be elected. The reason they do this is because they feel that the people won't elect a gay man to office. And unfortunately, this almost always seems to be the case.

What needs to happen is that there needs to be more openly gay & lesbian public figures. Not just celebrities, but people in government as well. The more openly gay people there are in office, the more people will start accepting it. But, alas, that's a long time from coming.

We haven't even elected a woman or black president yet. Although, I'm betting that we'll have either one next year ;)

There's going to be a very visible lesbian running for mayor of Houston in the next election :)

That's what I'm doing for Valentine's day too!! :boy:

When Lance came out he explained how he waited so long, as not to hurt the bands image and reputation. I always wondered though if they could have attracted the teenage girl dollar, how much more could the have got from the gay dollar?

As you indicated in the first paragraph of your post, I'm not sure that coming out is necessary to attract the "gay dollar". Chances are the gay guys that are into that type of music and culture will already be drawn to a boy band, heart throb, or female diva. I think very few additional gay people would sign on just because the person is gay. Although, I definitely agree that it would be very affirming and good for the gay culture and especially the gay youth who would be most influenced by it...I'm just saying that I personally don't think it would expand their popularity with very many people (and may very well shrink it with several).

Just my thoughts though,

Kevin

• Site Administrator

Actually just saw something interesting on TV about New Kids On The Block. It seems that they are still the most successful 'boy band' in history. They sold over 70,000,000 albums and grossed over 1 billion dollars in the four years they were around.

Now there is rumour that they may be doing a comeback tour.

Don't know how well that will go over :blink: .

Steve B)