What type of Internet Connection do you use?

BeaStKid

Internet Connection  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Internet Connection do you use?

• ISDN
    • DSL/ADSL
    • Good Old Dial-Up
    • Other...Please Specify

Okay, I don't remember which, but there was a discussion about Internet connections in some thread here. This raised my curiosity about this issue...

So what type of Internet connection do you use? And what is the speed of that connection? Lastly, what is the download speed you get?

Me?

I use a DSL connection with a speed of 128 Kbps... I get a download speed of around 20Kbps... :)

I use DSL :worship:

I really don't know what speed it is, But generally on downloads my average speed seems to be ~160KBPS. For uploading, I haven't a clue, I don't upload much of anything(I'm an internet leech 0:) )

Compared to my old dial-up, there is no comparison. DSL or other hi-speed connections make the difference between the internet actually working or the internet taking literally hours to load one single page. You have my sympathy if you are still on dial-up(but I'm not sharing!)

What? No Fiber? :blink:

it's okay because I technically dop not have Fiber yet, they are still digging up the street. taking their sweet time in doing it as well.

For now I have cable at home, and DSL at work. Speeds, Well I'll have to get back to you on that not that it matters much because its all limited to the wireless router's speed.

I have a DSL connection, 6 Mbit download, 700Kbit upload... which i really like. Quite an improvement over the 14.4 kBit connections i started with back in the old days :P .

ADSL (100 Mbits/sec) at home

+WIFI on my laptop when I'm on the road

Old Bob

are you sure your internet connection is 100 MBit? That would be unusualy fast. I suppose thats your LAN connection to your ADSL router - not the ADSL speed itself ? I think they provide about the same connections in Switzerland like they do here in Germany.. and the fastest ADSL link you can get here is 16Mbit downlink/2 Mbit uplink (if you are close enough to the next DSLAM....)

Edited by YaP

are you sure your internet connection is 100 MBit? That would be unusualy fast. I suppose thats your LAN connection to your ADSL router - not the ADSL speed itself ? I think they provide about the same connections in Switzerland like they do here in Germany.. and the fastest ADSL link you can get here is 16Mbit downlink/2 Mbit uplink (if you are close enough to the next DSLAM....)

Even I thought the same...my ethernet (LAN) connection is 100Mbps, but the actual speed of browsing is 128Kbps and downloading is 20 Kbps...uploading???? I have set a max of 3kbps... :P Can't afford more than that..

Other: supplied by bellsouth.

two tin cups and a long string.

ROFLMAO!! :P

• Site Administrator

I'm on ADSL, though I was on dial-up for a long time. I also had dial-up for work when I was travelling, and it wasn't unusual for me to end up with a 22K line -- painfully slow. The best I ever had on dial up was around 46K.

The ADSL I have is significantly faster than that, but it's not as fast as work's network. I'm still waiting for them to install the ADSL2+ hardware at the local exchange. When they do (not yet scheduled, unfortunately), I should be able to get speeds over 16,000kps:

http://www.iinet.com.au/support/iinetwork/speeds.html

I'm on ADSL, though I was on dial-up for a long time. I also had dial-up for work when I was travelling, and it wasn't unusual for me to end up with a 22K line -- painfully slow. The best I ever had on dial up was around 46K.

http://www.iinet.com.au/support/iinetwork/speeds.html

22K is about what I have :( If I'm lucky it gets up to 36, but thats rare! Luckily there's broadband at work, otherwise I dotn know how I'd live!

nice good high speed cable internet 7mbps for download and 820Kbps for upload

I have cable internet as well. I didn't see an option for cable (or I didn't understand what the choices meant) so I picked "other". I have no idea how quickly it downloads or uploads on average...all I know is it's called "cable" and I send them money every month.

ADSL (100 Mbits/sec) at home

+WIFI on my laptop when I'm on the road

Old Bob

What is "ADSL"? Or "ISDN" for that matter? These are both completely new acronyms to me.

I'm familiar with DSL...well I mean I've heard of it, and as I understand it, it also goes over the phone lines (like Dial up), but it uses a different thingy so it doesn't tie up phone lines (?), and it's generally about comparable to cable depending, as I understand it, on how near you are to the source and how many other people are on that "network"...is that correct?

Anyway, is ADSL some kinda new version?

The only connection types in my vernacular are/were "Dial up, cable, DSL, and T # (I've heard of T 1, and T 3, and I'm assuming there's a T 2 as well...I really don't know what they mean or how they work though).

Anyway, despite being pretty ill-informed about the terms used, and how they process works I've actually been "online" for quite a long time; my family was one of the first to "jump on the bandwagon" in the 90s, and once I moved out on my own I jumped on the "broadband wagon". Cable is certainly a massive improvement over Dial up. I don't think I'd even attempt to serf the net using dial up anymore. (I understand it's even slower now than it was back in the day due to the large, more complicated web pages).

Take care all,

Kevin

I voted Other because it depends on where I am.

School - this is where I am most of the time, using my laptop:

[the university has multiple OC3 and OC12 (IPv4) and GigE (IPv6) direct connections to the internet]

... in the dorm: a 100 Mbps hard-wired connection to the university network; download and upload speeds are around 3 Mbps

... in classrooms, labs, the dorm lounges and study rooms, and lounging outside on the campus: a 57 Kbps wifi connection to the university network; I don't download much when I'm on wifi so I don't pay attention to the speed

Home - my family's home, I'm there during longer school breaks (like Spring Break coming up the week of March 24):

... using my desktop PC in my bedroom: a 1 Gbps hard-wired connection to high-speed ADSL through the server in my dad's home office; download speeds are usually just over 2 Mbps, upload around 768 Kbps

... using my laptop outside on the patio out back or the front porch: a 100 Mbps wifi connection to high-speed ADSL through a 128 Kbps wifi router connected to the server in my dad's home office; same comment about downloading when on wifi

Colin B)

I have wireless dial up. Haha, you ask how this is possible? Well, technically it is not wireless dial up, but....

I pay 65 dollars per semester for wireless internet on campus. It is terrible. I have no clue why, but it is soooooo weird. At one moment, I'll have 1.5 MBps, a download clipping along so fast it's insane. Then the next second it will be at 1.2 KBps. I am not even joking about that, lol.

Sometimes it just refuses to let me have internet at all. My personal theory? The network they have set up is overloaded to the max, and they're too cheap to fix it. ~shrug~ It's better than nothing, but it's definitely annoying at times.

What is "ADSL"? Or "ISDN" for that matter? These are both completely new acronyms to me.

Kevin

ADSL is short for "Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line" (see ADSL) . Its a common broadband connection over the (analog or digital) telephone network - based on DSL. Asymmetric means, that upload and download speeds are different.

ISDN is a digital telephone network - short for Integrated Services Digital Network (see ISDN) - very common here in Europe, but afaik not very common in north-america.

Pete

Edited by YaP

ADSL is short for "Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line" (see ADSL) . Its a common broadband connection over the (analog or digital) telephone network - based on DSL. Asymetric means, that upload and download speeds are different.

ISDN is a digital telephone network - short for Integrated Services Digital Network (see ISDN) - very common here in Europe, but afaik not very common in north-america.

Pete

Dude, thanks! :great:

My connection varies with location. At home we have a cable connection and both of my computers connect to it through our Wireless-G home network. I don't know about upload, but download speeds are typically around 300-600 KbPS. Here at school, the connection varies with the time of day. The school uses a single T1 line for the ENTIRE campus AND the ALL FIVE residential complexes. During class time (8:30am to 9:50pm), most of the bandwidth is sent over to the main campus. What this essentially does is it leaves the residential complexes with so little bandwidth that AIM and MSN messenger can't find the internet connection. When AVG updates itself, the download is, on a good day, 2 KbPS. Even when I go surfing on FireFox, it will either timeout or lose the server connection alltogether, and do it repeatedly until it realizes that I actually DO want to go to that website. Late at night and on the weekends it tends to be relatively ok, but still very shaky and hard to made a connection.