Talk to Text?

AFriendlyFace

Talk or Text?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to call someone or text them?

• Call
    • Text
    • It depends on the person
    • It depends on what I want to convey
    • It depends on the person and what I want to convey
  2. 2. Which do you do more of overall?

• Call
    • Text

I can live without my phone, and have been doing so for the past two weeks, but I can't live without my IM. I once went a week without my computer and IM services. I snarled at everyone.

Well, I would freak out without my computer! LOL, basically if I'm at home in the first place I'm either at my computer or in bed. I occasionally do other things when I'm at home, but they're seriously statistically negligible :boy:

Like I said, can live without the phone, not my IM. It's just easier in the long run for me to type things out then it is to say it or to text it. Or at least for me.

well, for sure the nice thing about text based communication (whether it be text messages, IMs, or forum posts), is that you get to think things over and decide exactly how you want to phrase something before sending it. I think we've all occasionally said something we've regretted, either because it was stupid, hasty, mean, or whatever. I'm not saying this doesn't happen in "written" communication as well - because certainly it does - but at least we do have a few extra seconds to think before it's "out there."

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Well, I would freak out without my computer! LOL, basically if I'm at home in the first place I'm either at my computer or in bed. I occasionally do other things when I'm at home, but they're seriously statistically negligible :boy:

That's basically what I did. I lost all of my links, chapters for one of my stories that is now on hiatus until I can rewrite the chapters, and my other important files when my hard drive died. It sucked big.

well, for sure the nice thing about text based communication (whether it be text messages, IMs, or forum posts), is that you get to think things over and decide exactly how you want to phrase something before sending it. I think we've all occasionally said something we've regretted, either because it was stupid, hasty, mean, or whatever. I'm not saying this doesn't happen in "written" communication as well - because certainly it does - but at least we do have a few extra seconds to think before it's "out there."

Oh yeah. It's certainly made my life easier to be able to read what I'm about to say. It's saved me a few times. I have this really bad habit of just saying what's on my mind and I tend to tick people off when I do that. I find it a bit funny really, but it's true.

But, push comes to shove, I'll take IMing over texting, and texting over phone calls.

But, push comes to shove, I'll take IMing over texting, and texting over phone calls.

I agree about instant messaging. However, I prefer phones over texting. I actually like talking to people. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. :P

Hey guys,

Simple question, do you prefer to call someone or text them? I just realized that so far today I've received 23 texts and sent 22, and it's not even noon yet! Conversely I've made and received no phone calls.

I know this is a difficult question, because it compares two different things. I mean the sheer # of texts is a good indication of how much one texts, whereas the number of phone calls isn't very informative since you could call one person and talk for hours or make five, two-minute, phone calls. I guess length of time is a better indication.

Of course then you've got to take into consideration things like impersonal phone calls made to business in which you're on hold or going through the automated system. So really use any measure you like to come up with your answer.

Personally, I tend to text on a much more regular basis, but most of the time if it's something important I opt for phone calls. For some things though texting is far superior in my opinion. For example statements or brief things you need to tell someone, or even simple questions.

Also, with some people texting might not be an option. My mom and pretty much all of my immediate family don't text, so that's just not an option.

I voted that it depends on the person and what I want to convey for the first one, and for the second I voted that I text more.

Have a great day all :)

-Kevin

Well if I'm telling someone that they forgot the milk or something short like that, then yeah, texting is easier and faster. Nine times out of ten, though, I'll call. I usually text only when I'm busy with something else, or just goofing around.

I prefer to IM when it goes on sporadically throughout the day with brief comments back and forth.

Generally though I prefer to talk. If nothing else it's because I do so much typing as a software developer, webmaster, and charter member of the PPC, that my hands hurt all the time. So anything I can do to take a break from that is most welcomed.

Skype is my preferred method of talking and videoconferencing with friends all over the world.

For my best friends I prefer the plain old-fashioned telephone.

Interesting poll, Kevvers. Thanks! :)

I agree about instant messaging. However, I prefer phones over texting. I actually like talking to people. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. :P

Eh, it maybe that you have an easier time of talking. Me, I'm not able to speak quite as well as I want to be able to, since my mind is faster then my mouth. If it's family, then yes, I will prefer to talk on the phone, or if its someone really close, yes, I'll talk to them via phone.

Nah, you're not old fashioned. You're just real. It's harder to fake things when you can hear the other person's voice. It's easier to make a connection with someone when you can talk to them. Even on the phone or via Skype if it can't be face-to-face.

It's harder to fake things when you can hear the other person's voice. It's easier to make a connection with someone when you can talk to them. Even on the phone or via Skype if it can't be face-to-face.

That is true. It is harder to fake emotions or thoughts when talking with a person. I'll eventually be adding Skype to my way of talking with people since there are people that I would love to talk with and hear their voice. I find that if you listen to a person speaking long enough, you can learn all sorts of things about their thought process and the way they feel about things. I'll still take an IM session over a phone. Holding the head set hurts after a while.

That is true. It is harder to fake emotions or thoughts when talking with a person. I'll eventually be adding Skype to my way of talking with people since there are people that I would love to talk with and hear their voice. I find that if you listen to a person speaking long enough, you can learn all sorts of things about their thought process and the way they feel about things. I'll still take an IM session over a phone. Holding the head set hurts after a while.

I use a Bluetooth wireless headset for talking on the phone or on Skype.

Nah, you're not old fashioned. You're just real. It's harder to fake things when you can hear the other person's voice. It's easier to make a connection with someone when you can talk to them. Even on the phone or via Skype if it can't be face-to-face.

Well, I actually pretty much agree with you guys, but I'll offer a different stance just for the sake of shining a new angle on things.

I just got off the phone with my best friend, and the conversation was quite serious and one about emotions and feelings. Not even really our emotions and feelings for each other (although a bit), but more about our emotions and feelings in general.

Anyway, I actually consider myself pretty good at talking about this kind of stuff. I think chances are I do it better than the average person because it's something I've really worked at and I try pretty hard to be in tune with my own emotions and those of my friends.

Well, point was, I had all these things, these emotions in my head that I wanted to express, and I did...but they didn't come out quite right. Like I know I got the gist of it across, but it was sort of like I was thinking one thing and heard myself saying it, and it was like I was saying to myself, "that's not quite right!". It was close but the connotations and shades of meaning were slightly off.

I feel pretty certain that I could have actually expressed myself much more accurately over some sort of written communication. Now don't get me wrong. I definitely think the phone was a better option for this conversation overall. And chances are it was even more emotionally meaningful because of the actual voices and stuff. But just in terms of accurate expression I know it would have been better in a written, text based form.

-Kevin

There's no doubt that sometimes it's best to take your time and make sure you get the words just right. That's one reason I love my word processor. And yet I'm willing to bet your friend got the gist of what you were trying to convey just from the sound of your voice alone. Even if the words weren't to your satisfaction. A good idea might be to talk with him/her again just to see if you made the points you were trying to make. Or perhaps follow-up with an e-mail to reinforce the points you were trying to make.

Well, I actually pretty much agree with you guys, but I'll offer a different stance just for the sake of shining a new angle on things.

I just got off the phone with my best friend, and the conversation was quite serious and one about emotions and feelings. Not even really our emotions and feelings for each other (although a bit), but more about our emotions and feelings in general.

That's exactly why I prefer phone conversations. It is easier to get a sense of the other person's emotions. It's also easier on the fingers. :P

• 1 month later...
That's exactly why I prefer phone conversations. It is easier to get a sense of the other person's emotions. It's also easier on the fingers. :P

It certainly is, personally since the time I first posted this I've become convinced that for the most part texting is far more efficient and generally preferable to me, but there are quite a few times when I read a text and imagine 2 or 3 completely different tone of voice and inflections that the person might have been 'thinking' when they said that, and wondering just what they did mean.

For transmitting pure information or making quick plans I think texting is easier though. The majority of things I text people I'd feel silly calling them up to tell them, and quite often I've been in settings in which I can text, and actively want to, but wouldn't be able to carry on a voice conversation.

I also find that I have a slightly easier time staying in touch with my texting my friends as opposed to the ones who don't text. Often I have only a few minutes (or as I said above can text but not talk), so I'll bash out a quick friendly/playful/informational text to someone I know who texts, but will think "well so and so doesn't text so I'll have to call them later" and often I forget or don't have time. As a result this translates to more physical time spent with my text buddies as we make plans or just actively remain in each other's lives and minds.

Of course I know this is just one of my biases to some extent as well. For example I'm horrible about email and pretty bad about IM too. I just DON'T like to communicate in those ways and I'm rarely willing to do it, and when I do it's generally because I feel obliged rather than want to. As a result I know I've missed out on, and lost touch with, several of my friends. I also know that it drives people crazy that I won't myspace or facebook.

When it comes down to it these obstacles can be overcome by one person making concessions to the other's preferred way of communicating, but on some level there's always going to be some diminishing as a result of one of the two people being unwilling to communicate in one of the prevalent ways.

People can call or text me, but if they're already on myspace and messaging other people they'd probably prefer to do that and are more likely to not bother with calling or texting me at all. I recognize that and often think "well I guess I'll get one"...but I just don't want to. :boy:

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

• 1 year later...

For my sins, I think I must send over 600 texts per month because that's my free allowance on my cell plan and I still end up going over it! I only really use it for short messages, if I have anything substantial to say, then I will make a call.

I'm with the concenus on this, I do text an awful lot, almost a 1000 a month! :o

That said, I still manage 500 or so minutes of talk time every month as well. I guess I just have a lot to say! :lol:

• Like 1

I much prefer texting (and email) to voice because I tend to be acerbic, abrupt, and rude when I talk. Text and email give me a chance to ponder what I "hear" and think before I "speak."

I prefer to talk. I also like to keep the darn conversation short, please. We can talk about your mom's birthday party when we meet in person. It's not really that important, is it?

Texting takes the emotion out of the message, it's really hard to convey that my short, abrupt texts aren't because I don't like you, it's because I can't use an iPhone touchpad for crap. If you text me, I'll probably just call you back.

Depends on the purpose of the call/text. If it is only to convey basic information then I will text, if it requires explaination, discussion or just to chat then I call..... I do both a lot :)

I prefer to talk. I also like to keep the darn conversation short, please. We can talk about your mom's birthday party when we meet in person. It's not really that important, is it?

Texting takes the emotion out of the message, it's really hard to convey that my short, abrupt texts aren't because I don't like you, it's because I can't use an iPhone touchpad for crap. If you text me, I'll probably just call you back.

For me it's the opposite way around -- if you text someone, you know it's going to be short, so nobody would think you're rude because you don't say a lot, but if you're on the phone and you don't want to talk for ages, you seem really rude if you want to hang up straight away. And with some people it's almost impossible to have a short convo on the phone...

If I want to know something or convey something in the near future which is not urgent I will text. This means I usually text.

Rarely do I ever call because I've often planned ahead and arranged all the details of whatever is happening over MSN the previous evening or earlier.

So often my organisational communication consists of 'where are you?' type texts, or 'are you still on for tonight' type texts.

When I want to just chat, i'll text because its easier for me and I can just put the 'conversation' down while I go do something else. It means I can be more efficient with my time if I take 2 minute breaks out of whatever I am doing so I can text. If I called I'd have to drop everything and just talk. Boring.

• Like 1

Texting is great when you're abroad and don't have access to a computer -- phoning people is really expensive then, but texting someone won't cost you much, and you can tell your parents and such that you're safe that way. And even communicate a little bit. Texting can be really fun, actually, with some people, notably one of my exes who always sent me the most hilarious texts... Sadly he wasn't as fun to be with in bed, for instance, which is why he's an ex and not a ...non-ex. :D

If I want to know something or convey something in the near future which is not urgent I will text. This means I usually text.

Rarely do I ever call because I've often planned ahead and arranged all the details of whatever is happening over MSN the previous evening or earlier.

So often my organisational communication consists of 'where are you?' type texts, or 'are you still on for tonight' type texts.

When I want to just chat, i'll text because its easier for me and I can just put the 'conversation' down while I go do something else. It means I can be more efficient with my time if I take 2 minute breaks out of whatever I am doing so I can text. If I called I'd have to drop everything and just talk. Boring.

WOW, you sound very organised. I'm not. Most things are thrown together last minute and my telephone calls tend to ramble...I have been known to have five hour telephone conversations. But then I am rarely so involved in what I am doing that I begrudge the time to chat to friends. Strangely my telephone calls are never borning.

WOW, you sound very organised. I'm not. Most things are thrown together last minute and my telephone calls tend to ramble...I have been known to have five hour telephone conversations. But then I am rarely so involved in what I am doing that I begrudge the time to chat to friends. Strangely my telephone calls are never borning.

Hehe my social life is quite organised.. probably because I am available to IM quite a lot. One of my pet peeves is people who say they will turn up at a specific time somewhere and then not doing or turning up really late. Thats why I like to organise stuff where I can, so people cant say they didnt know about anything. Hehe.

My academic and personal life.. not so organised! :wacko:

I dont like talking on the phone, I 'er' and 'uhmmm' and I find it hard to think properly when Im talking on it. Im getting better at it, though :). Sometimes I have 90 minute plus conversations with people I know well :).

Edited by Xeran
  • Like 1