C James Fan Club

Is Instinct dead...

Death Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are Instinct's members goners?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too Soon to Say

He may not be able to, but I may know of a couple of people who could piece together what he has and get it edited and out for public display. Heck I can even arrange to have the announcement look like it came from CJ.

roast Goat anyone?

B)

ACCCK! Now, now, no leaking!!

You've been adding cliffhangers to LTMP again, haven't you? See the trouble you cause? Shame on you for stirring up all this BBQ frenzy!!! :P

Technically, a paragraph consists of several sentences, but CJ is right in that a change in subject or idea requires a new paragraph, particularly when writing a story and a quick-paced event such as this is occurring... quite a quandary, eh? Are they, or are they not paragraphs? Methinks we need another poll!

Hmmm!!! I seriously would like to know the actual answer; I've googled a bit, and so far I seen nothing to preclude a one-sentence paragraph. If there was though, how would I write scenes like those four paragraphs?

I hereby challenge CJ to write a one-sentence cliffhanger.

Sorry, Only shadowgod can do things like that, and speaking of Shadowgod, he has a major, though very sad, announcement to make today...

There ya go, that's a shadowgod cliffhanger!!!

0:):P

BTW, cliffhangers can be even shorter than a sentence. They can even be one single word.

I like the idea of a poll about one sentence paragraphs. lol :D

:ph34r:

B) .......Exhausted from climbing, the goat paused to look back at his pursuers, looking below at the sheerness of the rocks edge the goat started clicking his hoofs silently repeating "there's no such things as cliffs" "theres no such thing as cliffs..three times.

B) .......Exhausted from climbing, the goat paused to look back at his pursuers, looking below at the sheerness of the rocks edge the goat started clicking his hoofs silently repeating "there's no such things as cliffs" "theres no such thing as cliffs..three times.

Unfortunately for the goat instead of winding up back in Kansas he winds up slowing rotating on the BBQ spit.

Unfortunately for the goat instead of winding up back in Kansas he winds up slowing rotating on the BBQ spit.

B) .........Right Gary, humm maybe I should have worded it "There's no place like cliffs"

Technically, a paragraph consists of several sentences, but CJ is right in that a change in subject or idea requires a new paragraph, particularly when writing a story and a quick-paced event such as this is occurring... quite a quandary, eh? Are they, or are they not paragraphs? Methinks we need another poll!
Hmmm!!! I seriously would like to know the actual answer; I've googled a bit, and so far I seen nothing to preclude a one-sentence paragraph. If there was though, how would I write scenes like those four paragraphs?

I think you are right. A paragraph can be one sentence if the subject or thought changes.

What really bugs me is a paragraph that goes on and on. I think some breaks would be welcome by the reader even if the subject or thought does not change. I once reviewed a legal document in which one paragraph went on for a page and a half single-spaced. I know legal language is a special subset of English, but that paragraph contained just one sentence. I was tempted to ask an English teacher to diagram it.

My previous post was fatiguing but I decided to establish a poll on the burning issue of one-sentence paragraphs. I went back to reread the first four paragraphs of Let the Music Play, Chapter 44. Surprise! Surprise! There is no one-sentence paragraph in the selection.

How did we ever get into this discussion? CJ urged us to read the four paragraphs again. We all took that to be a disclaimer of a cliffhanger. Just shows how misleading the old goat can be. He can give you an honest, straight-forward response to one issue and make you believe it is a quibbling response to a different issue.

Edited by MikeL
BTW, cliffhangers can be even shorter than a sentence. They can even be one single word.

You're the expert. I suppose that means that any paragraphs or sentences after a supposed cliffhanger negate the said cliffhanger. 0:)

• Site Administrator

I know this post is kind of useless, but.... :D

I chose that they were not dead, and that was before CJ posted the whole chapter. I then pm'd my solutions to the current mess based on the four paragraphs.

Luckily this time I was 2 for 3 guesses :2thumbs: . Actually CJ gave us clues in both the story, as well as the forums. Unfortunately I have been without access to the internet for a couple of days, so couldn't post.

I don't know, I kind of feel a bit dirty. Figuring out the clues and not being able to share them :( . I wonder if this is what CJ feels like on a weekly basis :P .

Steve

My previous post was fatiguing but I decided to establish a poll on the burning issue of one-sentence paragraphs. I went back to reread the first four paragraphs of Let the Music Play, Chapter 44. Surprise! Surprise! There is no one-sentence paragraph in the selection.

How did we ever get into this discussion? CJ urged us to read the four paragraphs again. We all took that to be a disclaimer of a cliffhanger. Just shows how misleading the old goat can be. He can give you an honest, straight-forward response to one issue and make you believe it is a quibbling response to a different issue.

Would I ever do such a thing as that? 0:)

You're the expert. I suppose that means that any paragraphs or sentences after a supposed cliffhanger negate the said cliffhanger. 0:)

To answer your question; in my stories, yes, that's the definition I use.

Oh? You want a one-word cliffhanger? There's only one: Shadowgod.

0:)

I know this post is kind of useless, but.... :D

I chose that they were not dead, and that was before CJ posted the whole chapter. I then pm'd my solutions to the current mess based on the four paragraphs.

Luckily this time I was 2 for 3 guesses :2thumbs: . Actually CJ gave us clues in both the story, as well as the forums. Unfortunately I have been without access to the internet for a couple of days, so couldn't post.

I don't know, I kind of feel a bit dirty. Figuring out the clues and not being able to share them :( . I wonder if this is what CJ feels like on a weekly basis :P .

Steve

Both Wildone and Benji got at least some aspects right! :worship:

I suppose I should mention the clues in those four paragraphs... Eric's blood trickling; if he'd just taken a full-on, point-blank shotgun blast, it would do a lot more than trickle. Brandon dropped the Shotgun in part due to the shock of thinking he had actually killed Eric. (From Dimitri and Chase's POV, it would look like a kill). Chase's elbowing did indeed save Brandon from a bullet in the head. Eric dropped his shotgun within easy reach; hoping for a shot at Dimitri, but he never had the opportunity. Give that they had no time to think, I think they did ok.

BTW, the clue to Jon's level of injuries; the bullet hitting him, while seated, caused him to spin out of the chair; that pretty much limits it to a shoulder strike. However, that would only really work if his chair was a little off-angle anyway, and it wouldn

t be much of a spin; unlike in the movies, getting shot does not send you flying. The force is actually the equivalent of the kick the shooter feels when firing. For a gun with a heavy kick like a shotgun or a .45, it's enough to send you staggering, not flying. For a smaller weapon like a 22 or a round from an AK 47 (7.62 NAto Standard round), not so much.

BTW, yes, the AK, a Soviet weapon, fires NATO ammo. The Sovs were clever in that regard; they designed most of their equipment to be NATO compatible, right down to bomb attach points and aircraft servicing carts. The reason was strategically sound; if they were invading Western Europe, they wanted to be able to use seized ammo and maintenence equipment to the greatest degree possible.

BTW, you don't know how hard it is for me to resist the urge to fill LTMP with bits of technical info like that, LoL.

BTW, yes, the AK, a Soviet weapon, fires NATO ammo. The Sovs were clever in that regard; they designed most of their equipment to be NATO compatible, right down to bomb attach points and aircraft servicing carts. The reason was strategically sound; if they were invading Western Europe, they wanted to be able to use seized ammo and maintenence equipment to the greatest degree possible.

As I remember hearing it some years ago, when I was in the Army, Soviet rifles had a slightly larger caliber than the NATO 7.62 mm weapons. They could use captured ammo, but the good guys could not use captured commie ammo.

As I remember hearing it some years ago, when I was in the Army, Soviet rifles had a slightly larger caliber than the NATO 7.62 mm weapons. They could use captured ammo, but the good guys could not use captured commie ammo.

B) .......Not to mention, their ammo was crap!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..