[Shadowgod] Dreams & Clipped Wings 6

Great chapter!!! :worship:

I'll avoid any spoilers for now, as it's so early, but... Quite a bit happens. Julie... Uhoh!

One like I totally loved;

"You mean other then my nightly stroll down the block in my boxers?" Joe quipped, thinking Cody should have caught on to something being amiss long before now.

That was both descriptive, and IMHO hot!

I'll be bacl later as there is a LOT in here I want to comment on, comments with will assuredly include the passage with the word "newsprint" in it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was a good line CJ, but I happen to like the line where Cody said something suggestive to Saul. Where's a guy like that when you need one? I'd post the quote here, but it is rather suggestive. 0:)

Things are definitely not well between Julie and Joe. I am really starting to think he deserves better than her. I also happen to think he really has a thing for Cody too. That brings another conundrum though. Is he gay, or is he bi? If so, why in the world does he feel the need to be in the closet in a place like San Francisco?

Well, that was a good line CJ, but I happen to like the line where Cody said something suggestive to Saul. Where's a guy like that when you need one? I'd post the quote here, but it is rather suggestive. 0:)

Things are definitely not well between Julie and Joe. I am really starting to think he deserves better than her. I also happen to think he really has a thing for Cody too. That brings another conundrum though. Is he gay, or is he bi? If so, why in the world does he feel the need to be in the closet in a place like San Francisco?

I agree, and he's really confused with cody, I have a feeling that Jacob and cody are going to meet up soon.

Steve put some interesting... I don't know what to call them... parallelisms? opposites? connections? in this chapter. First, I was pissed off at how Cody treated Joe, almost to the point where I decided that I no longer liked Cody, that he's a jerk. Then, at the end, my heart went out to Cody, poor kid, he's so lost! Second, when Julie got a ride home from the party, I was so excited, "It's Jacob!" Then, at the end, when my heart was wrenching, I said the same thing, "oh, it's jacob," thinking about who hurt Cody so badly, so unintentionally.

Wonderful job, Steve!!!

I know the line you are referring to. That was, shall we say, descriptive of Jonathon's abilities. :)

As for Joe being "in the closet", good point. I don't think he is, exactly. I think he is, to a degree, bi, but Cody is the first guy he's had feelings for. I think those feelings are confusing him. Just my opinion.

BTW, I just have to bring up this issue...

The bagel, nor the bet that seemed like a lifetime ago, rather than the ten or so months it had been, was the last thing on Cody's mind as he flipped the newsprint page and scanned the latest grainy black and white images for a bike that looked great, yet held a reasonable price.

Bike? BIKE?!?! BIKE!??!!? OK, what gives here? I HOPE we're talking bicycle ant not a motorcycle!!! Surely not even Shadowgod could be THAT evil? (not to mention predictable?) I think the Cody Liberation Front needs to be alerted to this looming danger!

Also, on this issue, I notice that Jacob is riding again!!! ARGH!

To be honest, every time I ride a motorcycle now, I can't help but think of a certain scene in LIS 26! ACK!

Steve put some interesting... I don't know what to call them... parallelisms? opposites? connections? in this chapter. First, I was pissed off at how Cody treated Joe, almost to the point where I decided that I no longer liked Cody, that he's a jerk. Then, at the end, my heart went out to Cody, poor kid, he's so lost! Second, when Julie got a ride home from the party, I was so excited, "It's Jacob!" Then, at the end, when my heart was wrenching, I said the same thing, "oh, it's jacob," thinking about who hurt Cody so badly, so unintentionally.

Wonderful job, Steve!!!

Agreed there, it was a bit of a roller-coaster, in a very good way!

• Site Administrator

Most excellent chapter Steve :2thumbs: /

Thank you for sharing it with us.

The chapter seemed to have more twists and turns than a goats path up the side of a cliff :D .

Things are definitely becoming complex between the relationships in the story. Joe is confused with the feelings that he is having for Cody, but still just hints at things, which seems to leave Cody wondering if Joe is interested or just playing a game.

Julie, ugh!! So she can't even remember the name or the guy she did the nasty with last night. The nerve of her to question Joe in the previous chapter about his relationship with Cody, when she is out whoring herself with complete strangers :angry: .

I was really surprised when Jacob showed up. I was even more surprised that he is on a bike again. And yes, CJ, I did see the part about looking for a bike. I think if everyone pitched in a few bucks, we could locate and buy a nice safe Volvo for Cody, thus alleviating any stress on us readers :P .

I also thought that it was a chapter of memorable one liners. The boxer stroll and the steel marble comment had me in stitches. What great lines!! And then Saul's reaction was even more priceless. God I love that man.

My heart did go out to Cody several times. I just wanted to jump into the story and give him a hug and let him know everything would be alright. His comment:

"He was the only one that ever came back," Cody answered. "He wasn't the same features with a different name." he continued, letting his attention drift from Saul to the street outside and a parade of guys he'd known and never seen again. The same parade that always formed in the darker places of his mind, and the roll call was always, always, led by his first.

made me think that Cody was sleeping with strangers, married strangers, all in an effort to in someway hurt their wives, the way he wants to hurt his mother :( .

Well I'm off to see if I can find a real Yorkshire Bagel, damn that sounded good. :P

Steve B)

"He was the only one that ever came back," Cody answered. "He wasn't the same features with a different name." he continued, letting his attention drift from Saul to the street outside and a parade of guys he'd known and never seen again. The same parade that always formed in the darker places of his mind, and the roll call was always, always, led by his first.

made me think that Cody was sleeping with strangers, married strangers, all in an effort to in someway hurt their wives, the way he wants to hurt his mother :( .

was it his mother he was referring to?

Cody certainly has a lot of issues. His mother may be partly to blame because of her maltreatment of him. However, there comes a point where a person needs to face the issues and work towards resolving them. At least he is not completely in denial about it. That's more than can be said of a lot of people, both real and fictional.

• Site Administrator
was it his mother he was referring to?

That is my take on the whole thing. I may be wrong (like that hasn't happened before :P ), but remember this right after he had read the letter from his mother:

A white minivan he had seen drive by slowly some fifteen minutes earlier passed again, and pulled to a stop along the curb some fifteen feet ahead. A small smile curled Cody's lips as he rushed up to the passenger window as it rolled down.

"You Mike?" the driver asked cautiously.

Glancing at the gold wedding band on the man's hand, assuring his one requirement was met, he nodded his head. "Yeah."

"Take off the beanie," the older guy requested.

"It's f**kin' cold out here," Cody countered.

The man shrugged indicating that the temperature was not his problem. "Take off the beanie," he repeated.

With a huff, Cody pulled the knit skull cap off.

"Nice," the man nodded in compliment.

"Where do we do this?" Cody asked, growing impatient now that the man seemed to be satisfied with who he happened upon.

"Get in," he said as he pressed a button on the driver-side door unlocking the doors. Cody didn't wait for a second invite as he quickly lifted up the handle and climbed in.

So his one requirement was that his john had to be married. It made me think that since he seemed to be reacting to his mother's letter, he might be trying to get back some way at his mother.

Far fetched, eh? It just seemed to explain his desire for married men to me.

Steve B)

Edit to add:

Now reading your question again, I guess he could be referring to the john in this as well:

"I'm tired of feeling hollow," Cody mumbled. "It felt like he carved a hole in my chest when he disappeared. Like he took something he had no right in taking." The words spilled from Cody's lips as effortlessly as the saline running down his cheeks. Saul didn't know what to say to soothe the statement and ease the pain he found on the other side of Cody's wall. Cody's tears, while shocking, were not what disturbed Saul the most. The way Cody was looking right at him, right through him, is what unsettled Saul the most.

"I blamed him for that, blamed him for stealing part of me," Cody continued, oblivious to the concern smeared over Saul's face. "Then I figured out he didn't take anything, he just let me know something was missing..."

"Who, Cody?" Saul asked. His brow knit tight with worry, fearing the answer was Jonathan, though he was almost certain it was not.

"Cody?" Stacey echoed, halting at the doorway to the kitchen, her hand absently still clutching the white towel she had just tossed onto her shoulder.

With the sound of Stacey's voice, the heady smell of musk dissolved from Cody's nostrils; replaced by the tang of yeast masked slightly by the bleach used to clean the kitchen. He noticed, for the first time, the dampness on his cheeks, felt the trickle of sweat tickling its way down the side of his torso.

Cody sucked in a breath of air, puffing his chest and straightening his frame, as he rubbed the moisture from his face. Saul paid no attention to Stacey's intrusion; instead, he watched as the wilted boy tried his best at playing a man.

Or maybe he is referring to Jonathan???

Damn, I'm so confused now :P

Edited by wildone

I thought he was referring to Jacob... but I had Jacob on the brain, waiting for him to come roaring into the bagel shop :P

Could he be talking about his dad? I can't remember if Cody knew his dad at all...

I enjoyed this chapter, Steve. I know everyone has his own problems, but it seems all the characters in Chapter 6 have rather serious problems (with the possible exception of Saul). I hope all their problems are resolved satisfactorily in future chapters...especially Cody's.

I enjoyed this chapter, Steve. I know everyone has his own problems, but it seems all the characters in Chapter 6 have rather serious problems (with the possible exception of Saul). I hope all their problems are resolved satisfactorily in future chapters...especially Cody's.

I do too. I really want to see Cody make it. He's a good guy, but his self-destructive streak is going to be his undoing if he is not careful. Joe needs to ditch Julie. Even if he does not end up with Cody, Julie is venomous for him.

That is my take on the whole thing. I may be wrong (like that hasn't happened before :P ), but remember this right after he had read the letter from his mother:

So his one requirement was that his john had to be married. It made me think that since he seemed to be reacting to his mother's letter, he might be trying to get back some way at his mother.

Far fetched, eh? It just seemed to explain his desire for married men to me.

Steve B)

Edit to add:

Now reading your question again, I guess he could be referring to the john in this as well:

I think Cody definitely seeks out married men, and I think he told the pshrink that he does so as a way of "getting back" at his mother.

i just want somebody to give that boy a hug before he make me cry. again. :(

Totally agreed!

I do too. I really want to see Cody make it. He's a good guy, but his self-destructive streak is going to be his undoing if he is not careful. Joe needs to ditch Julie. Even if he does not end up with Cody, Julie is venomous for him.

Agreed! Especially about Joe and Julie... I think her recent, ah, sleeping arrangements, will be the beginning of the end there.

Okay, I think The Cody Liberation Front needs to get involved, ASAP! Please note the following quote from the chapter;

Cody didn't answer at first, preferring to shake his head and look down at the green cover of the Cycle Trader he had been looking at before Saul had sat down, thinking that Joe had said something.

CYCLE TRADER? And the later reference to a BIKE?!?! Okay, unless Cody is looking at Tricycles, Houston, we have a problem!!!!

Oh, and BTW, due to this, and also the possibility of Jacob and Cody meeting, I am hereby declaring a CLIFFHANGER!

Oh, and BTW, due to this, and also the possibility of Jacob and Cody meeting, I am hereby declaring a CLIFFHANGER!

I beg to differ, CJ. It's called plot development. Get a grip. :hug:

• Site Administrator

LMAO :worship:

I think you have been put in your place CJ :D

Awww Steph, but surely you have read Living in Surreality? After that, and the legendary LiS 26, how can the mere mention of a motorcycle be anything other than a cliffhanger?!?!?

Besides, try and keep in mind; Shadowgod is EEvil! He's toying with us...

So, won't you join me in declaring a Cliffhanger?

BTW, one other thought on Ch 6... What makes Saul so understanding? I hope we learn more about him.

CJ I know cliffhangers, and that was not a cliffhanger. There was not someone "getting caught" or someone about to die. Therefore, there was not an evil cliffhanger. However, you seem to be creating a lot of cliffhangers lately. In fact, I think you secretly want to maintain your throne.

CJ I know cliffhangers, and that was not a cliffhanger. There was not someone "getting caught" or someone about to die. Therefore, there was not an evil cliffhanger. However, you seem to be creating a lot of cliffhangers lately. In fact, I think you secretly want to maintain your throne.

Here here!

So far, this is turning out to be a very good story props to Shadowgod!

Also CJames, you call ch.6 a cliffhanger after LTMP: 43? Jeez I think the goat might be goin a bit crazy!

Also i'm hoping that Eric and Cody would end up together (even thought I think that's a long shot) cus that would be so cute (and I think would help merge the SPICE and CLIFF groups together and become one super group :2hands: )

Besides, try and keep in mind; Shadowgod is EEvil! He's toying with us...

So, won't you join me in declaring a Cliffhanger?

wow... this is scary... I can see CJ as one of those country preachers that works out of a tent and swindles everyone out of their money...

BTW, one other thought on Ch 6... What makes Saul so understanding? I hope we learn more about him.

Saul is like a loveable grandfather. ^_^

wow... this is scary... I can see CJ as one of those country preachers that works out of a tent and swindles everyone out of their money...

Well, the age old question of what character from For the Love CJ most resembles. As for the declaration, I simply disagree. There has been a cliffhanger earlier in the series though.

Interesting how form a certain angle anyone can seem broken, isn't it?

This brings up another conundrum, how to say what I want to say with out providing any spoilers? Which is actually why I have been rather silent as of late.

lets see if I can get these in order.

Is Joe in the closet? - I am going to say no. I am also going to refuse to give an answer to the whole "is he Straight Gay Bi or what?" business. Sometimes, sexuality just isn't that cut and dry. I know this method of thinking can cause some flak, but I rather enjoy exploring the more complex happenings behind the laws of attraction.

Parallels, opposites, connections... - yeah there are a few, I initially had the title in mind for Cody's plight, it's interesting how it evolved and can now be used to cover almost every Character in the story.

And semi related to this is Julie, I know she has now been accused of "whoring" herself out. Honestly i don't find that accusation very fair. In fact there is only one character we have seen having multiple meaningless encounters. Shouldn't the whore label be applied there as well?

It seems this is the controversy in the chapter. I apologize, i thought I made it clear that Saul and Cody were talking about Jonathan. In a way yeah it was related to a string of one night stands, or partners, Cody had sought out. Why he ended up with Jonathan is simple, because Jonathan chose him. So no the passage wasn't about married men, or Cody's father. Though to answer that yes Cody does know his father... there will be more about that later. Just as there will be more about Saul.

I think that covered everything. Let me know if I missed anything :)

Steve

That's interesting, Steve. To me, Julie was lonely as her relationship with Joe seems to be deteriorating. They don't seem to communicate well either, so that is a sign that all is not well. Blaming only Julie is rather unfair, because Joe is hardly an innocent party. As for Cody and his hook-ups, I think he still loves Jacob and is simply trying to fill the void. At the same time, I think Joe is more into Cody on an emotional level. That trumps all sexuality as far as I am concerned.