What Is Your Favorite

Let's get a little discussion going here What type of stories are your favorite.

Fantasy is my all time favorite. LOR was the first fantasy novel I ever read and I have been hooked ever since. Then when I started finding Gay Fantasy, I went nuts!

International Intrigue and detective stories would come next.

Coming of age romance would be next.

Now how about the rest of you???

As usual I'm the odd man out - I'm not into Fantasy at all :(

I like stories where the author knows what he's writing of, and thus can give an authentic background. One example is the ongoing Two Jubilees and a Spitfire in Nifty Historical. Although this is mostly a Adult/Youth story, it's written from the point of view of a 8 yo London cockney boy who grows up in England during and (now) after WW2.

The story line might not appeal to everybody here (it's more of a GD type of story), but it's genuineness should. It's no surprise it's halfway autobiographical. Highly recommended.

On the other hand, authors who messes things up, switches me off.

Also poor spelling and grammar. The very least one should do before submitting a story is to run it through a spell checker :angry: .

• Site Administrator

I spell just fine (when using Word)... I just find myself using the wrong words. Spellcheckers don't catch that. :(

when chatting then/than screws me up the most. grrr.

A spell checker doesn't catch everything - far from it, but it's a good place to start. If an author haven't got enough respect for his writing to use one, I have little respect for that author. (OK, I very rarely use spell checkers for board posting, but any story I work on gets spell checked.)

I don't think then/than is my worst problem, nor your/you're. My personal nemesis when posting is to/too :angry: , and it's not that I don't know the difference either :rolleyes:

Your stories are not the worst, Myr. Sure there are errors, but not many, and definitely not so many it puts me off.

Your worst problem is you've too many stories hanging in the air, waiting for following up... not to mention conclusions.

There are several useful articles in Nifty Information with tips for better writing, among other things listing a number of word mix-ups - don't you just love having a desert for dessert? :P

One thing to avoid is numerical dates: 06.07.03 can be the same as 07.06.03, 03.06.07 or 03.07.06, depending on where you live. We have an international audience, use four digit years and months with letters, abbreviated or not. Everybody understand May 21st.

OK, back on topic:

What I read most is crime, thrillers and various text books. Also like to keep a number of reference texts handy.

On Nifty, I'm usually most into the A/Y and YF sections, keeping an eye on certain bisexual, celebrity, history, sci-fi and high school stories.

What I don't read with joy is the quick sex, sex only stories. I prefer a little meat on the bone - eh, did I say that :o

And a touch of humour goes down nicely.

Edited by James Bond

I'll read just about anything as long as it meets 2 criteria.

1. It is believable, not only in setting but also characters

2. It is not only sex, infact, I prefer the ones with none or only implied sex.

And JB is right Myr, you have WAY too many good stories just hanging in the air. Now, FINISH THEM! :angry:

• Site Administrator

I do have a lot of stories hanging about... perhaps if you help me faster I can go back to only writing. :P;):read:

I like believable stories - even the fantastic ones have to have a core of believability. Believability, however is relative. My believable is someone else's nonsense. I too like Two Jubilees and a Spitfire. I also like my own stories, but won't plug them here :rolleyes:

I suppose I dislike several types of stories.

Badly spelled; or ungrammatical stories

Stories that begin Hi I'm Chad Let's f--k

Stories with no plot.

Perhaps I expect too much.

• Site Administrator

They aren't predominately adult-youth Freedom, plug them all you want. I already added them to the archive here. :):read: