Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Tiger

Who is this Half-Blood Prince? It's a mystery to all who have not read the book or seen the movie. Is it a secret to me? Of course not! Don't be silly. I am an uber fan. I have read the book of course, and I went to see the premiere. You can all be jealous. I'm sure you all are. I saw it first!

Now, for the question? What is the movie about? Here's a spoiler-light version. Harry's 6th year at Hogwarts begins with many questions looming. Dumbeldore takes Harry on a side-by-side apperation. To where? Well, that would spoil it too much! But I can say that the trip is most important! Harry returns to Hogwarts and finds a book. This book introduces the half-blood prince, who seems to know a lot about magic. Will the book help Harry master magic? Those who have seen the movie or have read the book know the answer to this question. For everyone else... you slackers. How can you not go to the premiere of this movie? Draco Malfoy... oh he's up to something, something evil! But what is it? What mission has The Dark Lord given him? Whatever it is, it is so important that an unbreakable vow was cast on someone to assure that the mission was a success. But what is an unbreakable vow, and what happens if it is not honored. More importantly, will the mission be a success? Want to know the answers? Well, I shall tell you how to find out. Go see Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince without delay!

Edited by Tiger

I'm going to see this tonight. I had to watch the first 5 movies over the last couple of days to refresh my memory of course! :P But am looking forward to this film more than any other this year.

-zombie-

must....see....harry potter.....

My bf claimed he wouldn't like the books, but he's on the third one already and won't take his nose out of it if possible. :lol:

Firstly i'd just like to say that i was dissapointed with the film.

Dont get me wrong the film was amazing with some great performances from the usual crew of Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) , Alan Rickman (Snape) and Helena Bonham Carter (Lestrange). They had some very effective scenes through the film. I would also like to give kudos to Emma Watson (Hermione) who to me gave the best "teenage" performance of the film.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the movie yet, but they practically had to rush it, and it's only going to get worse with the next one. Even split into two parts, it's going to be bad!

I just got home from the movie, and I must say it was quite amazing! It even had is funny parts, like when Ron was staring up at the moon after he drank that love potion. xD As said earlier it was rushed and they cut out a lot of good parts. But that happens in all book movies. *shrugs* So it really shouldn't surprise you.

I just got home from the movie, and I must say it was quite amazing! It even had is funny parts, like when Ron was staring up at the moon after he drank that love potion. xD As said earlier it was rushed and they cut out a lot of good parts. But that happens in all book movies. *shrugs* So it really shouldn't surprise you.

The one part that I believe should not have been deleted was the funeral. Fawkes left after the funeral. Also, I was somewhat put off when it was Luna who rescued Harry instead of Tonks. Speaking of Tonks, it's like in the movie, she and Lupin are already together, but there was a struggle in the book. Bill and Fleur also seemed to be deleted completely, including what happened to him at the hands of Fenrir Greyback. In addition, this paragraph in Wikipedia sums up another important issue:

Also, in the film, there is no mention of the other Horcruxes besides the diary, the ring, and the locket. In the book, Dumbledore explains to Harry that he has reason to believe that the remaining Horcruxes are Voldemort's snake Nagini, Helga Hufflepuff's cup, and something of Gryffindor's or Ravenclaw's. This is a key issue in that it gives Harry an idea of what he's looking for. Unless it is addressed in the movies depicting the seventh novel, Harry will have no direction in his search for the Horcruxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Half-Blood_Prince_(film)#Differences_from_the_book

Edited by Tiger

*sigh*

I think this is, once again, the biggest weakness of taking any novel and making it into a film or television show. Part of me wishes that everyone who has read a book does NOT watch the movie/show based on that book. That way, when they read the book AFTER seeing the movie, they are enthusiastic about the 'extra' material instead of griping about what was or was not included.

Now a horrible 'rewrite' would be...oh let's say Dumbledore living instead of dying.

Draco Malfoy has NEVER been a central character in the series of movies. At best he's been an occasional pain in the but and teaser of Harry & Co. His biggest role was probably in the first two movies with him being barely seen in any of the last three. He was more like comedic break from the main point of the previous movies. Now though, now he really moves the plot along.

Trebs and I were very lucky in that we got to take four kids to see this movie, none of whom had read the last two books (the oldest is 11, and youngest is 8). Their reactions were a delight, as were the reactions of everyone in the theater. We went to the 10:00 a.m. showing here, and it wasn't packed although it had a good-sized audience.

Two things were immediately clear from watching the reactions of people in the theater. All of the kids leaped into the air when the inferi came out of the lake and grabbed Harry. You could then hear the gasps of relief as Dumbledore saved Harry with his fire spell. One of the kids even breathed out a heavy 'yeah!' at that.

Then there was the whimpering. It was very soft, but it was there from the kids as they saw Draco pointing his wand at Dumbledore. Then there was the silence after Dumbledore's fall. Not just the kids. The theater was totally silent, not even a cough or a sneeze, or the sounds of breathing. You could tell when people started breathing again because they had to, and it was obvious they didn't want to breath.

I fully expected, as a fan of the book, to hate the Burrow scene, but it fit. It was the animus that moved Harry and Ginny closer, as well as adding a direct impact of the effects of the war on people that the viewers of the movie know and care about to some degree. Also, it established some things that are going to be vital as we go into the final TWO movies.

As a storyteller, I know there is a big difference between how you tell a story on a screen, and how you tell it in a book. What makes a great book and what makes a great show are two totally different things at times, and if you don't recognize and adjust to those differences, the movie does not work.

Now, thanks to cutting out the angst of Remus/Tonks, when they die in the 8th movie, it won't be a 'what?' moment to everyone who hasn't read the books. Instead of cutting out their relationship totally, or making it come out of left field in the last movie, they set it up here so it will still make a meaningful impact later down the road. Likewise instead of making us sit through an extra thirty minutes of movie, they used the Burrow scene to show us how much Ginny cares about Harry, and how much he really does care about her as well. Plus it shows the pain Harry still feels over the death of Sirius (something all the kids picked up on). All around, a good use of a 10-minute scene. They even managed to throw in the adults beating down Harry's suspicion of Draco in there. One thing they missed, and I wish they hadn't was the Bill/Fleur relationship building.

Towards the ending, probably the biggest disappointment all around was the lack of an Order/Death Eater battle at the end. Even the kids missed that, saying 'that's it?'. They couldn't believe there wasn't more than one Auror being knocked down. However, in the book the battle was more of a blockade to Harry's confrontation with Snape than really necessary (except for the wounding of Bill Weasely who hasn't really been seen in any of the movies). In fact I don't even know if he was in ANY of the movies...

Nor was the funeral really necessary to the movie's ending. I think the statement of McGonagall's raising of her wand, and the students/staff following suit was a much more effective way of showing Dumbledore's legacy for Hogwarts.

At 2 1/2 hours, this movie was long enough. Was it a perfect adaptation? No. Yet, it was and is, a great movie well worth the time and money to see...(with LOTS of eye candy to...I WANT Hermione's date to the christmas party....)

• Like 1

The one part that I believe should not have been deleted was the funeral. Fawkes left after the funeral. Also, I was somewhat put off when it was Luna who rescued Harry instead of Tonks. Speaking of Tonks, it's like in the movie, she and Lupin are already together, but there was a struggle in the book. Bill and Fleur also seemed to be deleted completely, including what happened to him at the hands of Fenrir Greyback. In addition, this paragraph in Wikipedia sums up another important issue:

http://en.wikipedia....s_from_the_book

Whoa. O.o It's been a while since I read the book, I had no idea such essential parts were left out!

I went to see it yesterday afternoon and although I enjoyed it I can't say I loved it. It was my favourite of all the books but I just felt there was something missing in the film.

I thought the special effects were great and the performances of the more well known actors were brilliant and as much as it pains me to say, Emma Watson was the better 'teen' performance overall with Bonnie Wright being some what lacking throughout.

One thing that seriously wound me up was the fact that the kiss between Harry/Cho in the 5th film lasted longer than the measly peck between Harry and Ginny this time around. They took a great scene in the book and turned it to crap. Also, Harry never saw the Room of Requirement so how on earth is he supposed to know where to find the diadum in Deathly Hallows?!

Aragog's 'funeral' seemed a bit abrupt, one of my friends who doesn't read the books found it all confusing and didn't understand what was going on.

Dumblesdore's death was rather moving at the end, I admit I cried. Michael Gambon did a great job with the lead up to it, especially when he was drinking the potion in the cave but I have to agree that it all seemed a bit rushed.

Also, they could have done a better job with explaining the Horcrux's and their significance. Again, friends who only watch the films are more than a little confused.

But it was just a movie, you can't expect them to get everything in which I suppose is always the problem when you have limited time. It's a shame though because now I'm not really looking forward to watching Deathly Hallows when it's released.

Awesome movie, but like everyone has said there is a lot missing that was in the book. I guess when you're trying to fit it into a certain length film something has to be sacrificed. Lord of the Rings springs to mind, even though the extended edition was over 3 hours long, I noticed certain things missing. That said I've read the books like 100 times already, so no surprise that it was easy to pick up. :lol: I suppose it's where you draw the line that's debatable.

All in all though, I loved this, not my favourite HP movie, but certainly up there. :)

As usual, I was disappointed. I wish they'd just stick to the original story of the book. They changed too many important parts. They added useless action scenes like the one at the Burrow, and removed important scenes like Dumbys funeral. Also the part where the death eaters fight at Hogwarts was completely removed.

The thing I hate the most though, is how they changed the scene when Snape kills Dumby. Harry was hidden under his invisibility cloak and couldn't move in the book. In the movie, he chose to just stand and watch while everything happened. It almost made me hate movie-Harry.

Trying to not compare the movie to the book, I'd say the movie is OK.

Edited by Pai-kun

• Site Administrator

Well... the movie was good in its own right. Plenty of eyecandy (both guys and special effects).

However, if you loved the book, like I do...

It was disappointing.

As far as I could tell... nothing happened in this movie other than the big scene at the end with a pathetic little battle. They didn't even play the signature John Williams short little tune saying it was HP.

I'm going to see it again on Saturday, I'll think more on how I feel about it after a second viewing.

The thing I hate the most though, is how they changed the scene when Snape kills Dumby. Harry was hidden under his invisibility cloak and couldn't move in the book. In the movie, he chose to just stand and watch while everything happened. It almost made me hate movie-Harry.

Don't forget, he'd promised to obey Dumbledore without question. Dumbledore ordered him to stay below, and hidden, no matter what happened.

Keeping an oath like that is... right! Dumbledore has consistantly and reliably shown his habbit of keeping secrets, giving unexpected surprises, and otherwise making a fool of anyone who thinks he knows what's going on. Harry had no way to know that this time, Dumbledore didn't have an ace up his sleeve. (Well, for those that read the books, technically Snape was his ace up the sleeve...) And lets not forget that until Snape actually cast the killing curse, Potter had no way to know that's what Snape was going to do.

As usual, I was disappointed. I wish they'd just stick to the original story of the book. They changed too many important parts. They added useless action scenes like the one at the Burrow, and removed important scenes like Dumbys funeral. Also the part where the death eaters fight at Hogwarts was completely removed.

They removed the fighting at hogwarts because they didn't want the climax of this and the next movie to both be with a giant fight at hogwarts, which in a way makes sense.

Don't forget, he'd promised to obey Dumbledore without question. Dumbledore ordered him to stay below, and hidden, no matter what happened.

Keeping an oath like that is... right! Dumbledore has consistantly and reliably shown his habbit of keeping secrets, giving unexpected surprises, and otherwise making a fool of anyone who thinks he knows what's going on. Harry had no way to know that this time, Dumbledore didn't have an ace up his sleeve. (Well, for those that read the books, technically Snape was his ace up the sleeve...) And lets not forget that until Snape actually cast the killing curse, Potter had no way to know that's what Snape was going to do.

I agree. If people paid close enough attention, Dumbeldore asked Snape once again to kill him, and that is exactly what Snape did.

Edited by Tiger

They removed the fighting at hogwarts because they didn't want the climax of this and the next movie to both be with a giant fight at hogwarts, which in a way makes sense.

I am lost that it makes sense to remove it - unless you just move the battle of hog to the next movie

I didn't watch the film - but listen to the audio books

Hopefully the next movie preserves this

Hogwarts - Its Harry's home away from home - his cards been dealt - db does not want to temp faith - HHMNBN also feels hogwarts is his home

the two bonded by the scar - but of course we all side with Harry and db

but it also seems that the cards been delt with snape and db - James and Lilly - etc etc

Well... the movie was good in its own right. Plenty of eyecandy (both guys and special effects).

However, if you loved the book, like I do...

It was disappointing.

As far as I could tell... nothing happened in this movie other than the big scene at the end with a pathetic little battle. They didn't even play the signature John Williams short little tune saying it was HP.

I'm going to see it again on Saturday, I'll think more on how I feel about it after a second viewing.

sit in a different seat to gain a different aspect perception especially if it was imax :2thumbs:

Except it's completely out of character. Harry wouldn't obey Dumbledore in that case, which the book proved when he tried to move and stop it over and over. Then again, Harry and most of the others are out of character for most part of this movie.

How does that make sense? They are splitting up the last book into two movies, so the climax at Hogwarts would still be in over two years from now. And imo it doesn't make any sense at all. Teachers or students would've noticed them, as in the book.

That argument does not ring true. The Battle of Hogwarts will not be in the next movie, because The Deathly Hallows is going to be split into two movies.

my recommendation, save your money and go rent the movie when it comes out. I spent close to 40 dollars between two tickets (for 2 adults, one a student discount), popcorn, sodas, and I think i'm extremely disappointed. I'm not so sure I'll waste my time when it comes to the last 2 movies, unless someone else is paying for everything. Now as for my mom, who had never read the books, I had to actually sit there and explain to her what was going on because so much stuff had been skipped, that she was completely confused, and she's seen all the movies.

Bleh...

I can also say I'm definitely not buying the movie when it comes out in time for christmas either. the only cool scene in the whole entire movie was Dumbledore and Harry in the cave.

Utter crap,

Linxe

the only cool scene in the whole entire movie was Dumbledore and Harry in the cave.

That was a pretty good scene. It really gives the impression of Dumbledore as an unimaginably powerful wizard... And Voldie is this guys equal?! (Don't forget, that's what Dumbledore can do when he's extremely weak, almost crippled...)

Still, there were some other good lines / scenes. "I thought you can't apparate inside Hogwarts". "Well, there are some advantages to being me."

I'm not sure I like the new take on apparition, but overall I enjoyed the movie.

my recommendation, save your money and go rent the movie when it comes out. I spent close to 40 dollars between two tickets (for 2 adults, one a student discount), popcorn, sodas, and I think i'm extremely disappointed. I'm not so sure I'll waste my time when it comes to the last 2 movies, unless someone else is paying for everything. Now as for my mom, who had never read the books, I had to actually sit there and explain to her what was going on because so much stuff had been skipped, that she was completely confused, and she's seen all the movies.

Bleh...

I can also say I'm definitely not buying the movie when it comes out in time for christmas either. the only cool scene in the whole entire movie was Dumbledore and Harry in the cave.

Utter crap,

Linxe

Hey didn't you read the book???

before you went?

Its about

Our Hero, Lord Voldamort

doesn't baby volt looks like Joseph Mazzello

Any way - how was the part where Harry gets to see where it got all started??

How papa and mama died

Wasn't a cute way - JK turns book#2 weird thing into the word hallcrux(sp-I know she knows how to spell)

Nice of you to re-cap the last 5 episodes for you mom.

If warner did that there goes valuable Harry minutes!!